Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

need help with shockflyer!!!!

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

need help with shockflyer!!!!

Old 07-15-2005, 10:56 AM
hardlanding

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with shockflyer!!!!

i've been out of the r/c game a while and want to get a new plane to play around with at home. i have seen and heard a lot of good things about the Ikarus Shockflyers. i want one, probably the extra 330 or the superstar. i've got several years under my belt of flying nitro planes, and i'm pretty familiar with all the components and terminology. but when it comes to this electric stuff, i am lost. i have an aerobird and i had a sky scooter, but these things came with all that was needed. pretty much RTF. my question is, and remember that i am new to electrics, if i get the extra 330 version, what else do i need to complete it, i mean everything except the radio. (going with the futaba 9c). motor, batteries, charger, servos, receiver, everything. and where can i find all these components? do someone sell a package that contains all i need? i appreciate all the help i can get. thanks in advance.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:11 AM
will

Default RE: need help with shockflyer!!!!

You can get an idea of what you need by going [link=http://willstech.com/products/index.php?cPath=81_82&osCsid=c12d482b614f624d23b1e1d171cbcff9]here[/link]

You'll need some odorless *CA* and foam safe kicker for assembly.

Old 07-16-2005, 05:31 PM
DMACK
My Feedback: (9)

These are great planes, I love my Superstar. You will need three mini servos $12-$20 each. It comes with a brushed motor, but if you are interested in really 3Ding the plane I would go brushless. It will fly pattern nice with the stock motor, but this isn't a pattern plane. For confident hovering brushless is the way to go. I went with the Typhoon 6/3D with a Phoenix 10. My LHS had this as a pkg for $90. With the brushless motor, lipos are the way to go. I prefer 3 cell lipos, more zip. A 3s1p(3 cell 1 pack) 600-900 mah are the usual choice. $25-$40 depending on who makes them.

On low rates this is a nice easy flying plane. On high rates It will do amazing things. As one review reported- "it will do all the tricks there are names for and many more you will have to name yourself."
Old 07-16-2005, 10:35 PM
nstaller
My Feedback: (9)

Take a look at the flatouts from Great Planes. I am currently crashing,I mean flying a Flatana Its a easy build and the supplied hardware is outstanding.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:59 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm flying an Icarus Superstar with a Little Screamer Brushless motor on an 8-4 prop. Castle Creations 10 amp esc. 3 Bluebird 306 servos. Apogee 830 ma batt. 3 cell. Great combination.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:07 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a superstar with a brushless / li-po set up. If money is tight then just use the stock setup for a while. If you have the cash then get a brushless. Many hobby shops will have an upgrade package deal which will make it easy.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:50 AM
hardlanding

thanks for all the advice guys.....at least now i know where to start.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:08 AM
livinma1
My Feedback: (15)

If you do go with a shockflyer try and get one of the newer ones. The older shockflyers do not take a beaten too well. The newer shockies are a bit more durable. You can even pick up a hobby lobby yak 55 to toy around with first since it is only $19.90.

Mark
Old 07-20-2005, 11:15 AM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Ok, Im a BIG shockflyer fan. Ive flown just about all of them.
The superstar is one of my favorites for indoor insane 3D flying. There are quite a few of us here flying them around, so we've already made all the mistakes learning what equipment works best, and what doesnt work worth a flip.

Here's the no frills, get down and dirty list of what you need to build one.

A radio. Futaba's 7CAP is a good choice. If your on a budget, go for a Futaba 6EXA.

One Ikarus Shockflyer kit. Forget the stock motor, dont waste your time.

One AXI 2204/54 brushless motor. This is the ABSOLUTE best shockflyer motor for indoor flying. NO more, NO less. This is a PERFECT match.

A brushless ESC. Whether you go with Castle Creations, or balsapr.com. Look for something small, lightweight, and around 10A.

Two Bluebird BMS-303 servos. SUPER micro light-weight servos. Use these two for the rudder and the elevator.

One Bluebird BMS-306 or BMS-306BB(ballbearing) servo for the ailerons.

One Bluebird 4ch reciever w/crystal. Cheap, but they work great. Seem to be much better than the GWS recievers. Take the wrapper off to save a few grams in weight.

Thunderpower 7.4V 2cell 730mah lipo. So far this is the best all around battery we've found. Its light-weight, runs great, and offers long flight times of 15-20min.

Now on to building.

First, find the balsa sticks in the kit, and get rid of them. They are completely useless weight.
Find the garbage tape in the kit and chunk it too. Go to your local hobby shop and look for Du-bro Electric Hinge Tape. Also known as 3M Blenderm tape. 10000% better than the stock tape.
While your there, pick up a bottle of foam-safe CA, and foam-safe accelerator.
Next take a piece of 1/16 or 1/8" hobby plywood, and make a motor mount for your beautiful AXI motor. Just a simple circle of ply about 1/8" larger diameter than the motor will work fine.

Build the plane as per the instructions. Use the provided UHU glue to put the carbon fiber on the leading and trailing edge of the wings, and to glue the wing to the horizontal fuselage piece per the instructions, and use CA for everything else. Remember keep it light.

When you get to the part in the manual where it says use the balsa sticks, replace the balsa with a strip of the left over foam out of the kit, use a strip to box in the fuselage. Its WAY lighter than the balsa, and is MUCH stiffer. Looks better too in my opinion.

Mount the motor mount directly to the front of the fuselage with some 5min epoxy, or you can even CA it right to the front if you want to save some more weight.

Install all your avionics, and balance it to the recommended CG point.

Now go fly it. If youve never flown shockflyers before heres a few tips.
If your flying indoors for the first time, its gonna feel REALLY small and restricted. As you fly more, you'll get used to it, and eventually find that you can do just about any outdoor maneuver ...indoors.

1. LEARN TO USE RUDDER. Retrain your glow flying thumbs to use rudder to make flat turns instead of turning with aileron and elevator. At the slow speeds that shockflyers fly, aileron and elevator turns will have the plane drop out of the sky.

2. PULL OFF THE THROTTLE. You will be absolutely amazed at how slow these things will fly (assuming you got it 6oz or under) You can walk faster than a shockflyers crusing speed. Dont be afraid to slow it down...way down. That's why the shockflyers are so good at flying indoors. You can slow them down enough to keep from bouncing off the walls.

4. PROGRAM EXPO IN YOUR RADIO. Shockflyers move REALLY quick. Not like glow planes. If you yank full up elevator in most glow planes, it will pitch up fairly quickly, and start the beginning of a tight loop. If you yank full up on a shockflyer, it will IMMEDIATLY point the nose completely vertical, and cease all forward flight. 5-10 degrees of throw is alot in most glow planes. Our shockflyers are using 60-80 degrees of throw. And the control surfaces will go from 0 to 60 faster than you can blink. You need expo to soften its responses enough to make it flyable.

5. DONT EXPECT MUCH. Kinda tricky statement. But what I mean is dont expect to be doing hovering torque rolls your first time up. Even though you can do them outdoors with your U-can-do, doesnt mean you can do it with a shockflyer. Most new shockflyer pilots have a rough time just keeping it off the walls and ceiling their first time. Be patient. You'll be doing torque rolls soon enough. It takes a while to learn to turn on rudder not aileron/elevator. It also takes a while to get comfortable flying in restricted airspace.

Enjoy and Have FUN!!!!
Shockflyers rock.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:11 AM
CHEF-UK

Resurrecting this thread.
Hi from the UK
I have had a Ikarus Shockflyer for some 8 years or so. The motor has finally given up (Typhoon Micro 6/20) The magnets have come loose. Tried re-gluing. Did not work.

Anyhow. Looking for something to replace the motor. I usually use Hobbyking for most of my little bits. So any pointers there would be great.
I just cannot understand all the figures etc for guidance when choosing a motor. Do not really understand what they all mean. If someone can point me to a idiots guide for choosing motors that would be great.

Many thanks guys.

Keith