Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

e-flite mini edge 540

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 08:54 AM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: e-flite mini edge 540

Hey Chevyman,

Why so tail heavy? Here is my setup

E-flite 400 4200 Stock gear box 10T gear
Castle Creations Phoenix-35 amp mounted on the left side of the plane
3 HS-55
1 E-flite S75 Servo Rudder Pull/Pull
2100 pro-lite TP battery, shoved all the way to the front of the motor mount
RS6UL Mounted to the right side of the plane

Balances right in the middle of the suggested CG. I have everything in the stock location. How much lead did you use?

DD
Old 10-04-2005, 04:39 PM
DMACK
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problems balancing here either, hmmmm. I went with an AON T2415-4900 and a Cobri gear box. The motor weighs the same as the Park 400, but the gear box is a little heavier than stock. It helps take heat out of the motor, almost like a heat sink though.

I prefer the gear box set up to an out runner for the simple reason that I can vary my setup to suit my flying that day. If I get up early and want to 3D I go with a 6.6/1 with a APC 12x6 SF. On windier days or if I get up late I switch to a 6.3/1 with an APC 11x7 SF. It's much faster and really penetrates the air.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:07 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

http://www.hobbytron.com/ParkflyersE...CAirplane.html
Guys, Now I realize this is a different Mini Edge 540 than the E-Flite that we've been discussing here, but I just stumbled on to this while searching for another little edge 540 kit for a .010 size engine that I can't seem to find. I was totally blown away by this RTF version! Go to the link I put up there and see this plane they're selling for $248.00 complete with brushless set-up,1800mah lipo & charger, radio, the whole deal ready to fly out the box! The only thing I couldn't find on the specs was, is it a built -up airframe, or one of those molded foam jobs? Anyway it's a pretty little plane & they have video of it flying as well.
If anyone knows who makes a full build kit of the Edge 540 for a .010 size glow engine please let me know. The guy @ Hobbytown stumbled on to it the other day while looking for the E-Flite ARF, but when I went back to order it he can't find it now, the darn thing was only $40.00 too! Thanks, Mark T.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:11 AM
elenasgrumpy

Hey DMACK, thanks for another good tip. I live in Tracy, Ca. and the wind is almost allways an issue here. That gear ratio & prop change will come in very handy for me! Thanks again.
Mark T.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:16 AM
DMehalko
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Almost finished with mine, will be test flying on the 9th, this sunday, then will let er rip!

E-flite sub-micro 75sumthin on the rudder pull-pull
Hs-55's everywhere else
Park 400, 4200kv motot
e-flite 40amper
6RUL rx
thunderpower([>:]) 2100 11.1v
Old 10-08-2005, 07:13 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

The Parkflyers Edge 540T is a foam plane. Takes less time to put it together than to charge the battery and there is no gluing.
It is definetely not for beginners and has plenty of power for aerobatics, but does not hover very well since the motor/prop combination is not powerful enough for that. It's a good plane for the price, however, there is a problem with parts availability in the U.S. and that's not very good at all. I'm sure this problem will be eventually solved.

Old 10-09-2005, 11:17 AM
elenasgrumpy

Thanks jmir, That's pretty much what I thought it was gonna be at that price, especially since they didn't mention anything about a balsa & ply built up airframe, & they did specify a 1000kv motor, but as you said still a pretty nice plane for the price.
Back to our E-Flite, my 3-cell arrived the other day so I was finally able to finalize the placement of the radio equipment, I went ahead & put a 7 channel receiver in it. 1) because there was enough room to get away with it. 2) because i only have a futaba 6DA radio. No computer, but will do some mixing & flaperons if one aileron is on channel 1 & the other is on channel 6. Also the only way to adjust aileron differential with this Tx. The end result was the CG is dead nuts! I used to thin pieces of trim tape at the forward & aft CG measurements, with my finger just touching the edges of each piece of tape it sits flat as a pancake and solid as a rock, no teeter-totterring what so-ever. Needles to say I was happy was that. Now i got Flaps when I want them, & aileron to rudder mixing, and a good differential on the ailerons. Being a rookie pilot still, thought I could use all the help I could get. Key note: I build much better than I fly, in fact just yesterday I turned a Mountain Models Swtchback back into a kit!
Anyone have any experience with the Hi-Max gearbox? I was planning on the cobri per DMACK's suggestion, but I see that the Hi-Max also looks like a good one & includes a heat sink for cooling at about 5 bucks less. Any thoughts? Thanks, Mark T.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:17 PM
DMACK

I've had a himax as well and it doesn't compare. The gears are much thinner than the Cobri, and are a much more brittle plastic.. The prop shaft is thinner and has smaller bearings. The 4mm shaft on the Cobri is guaranteed unbendable. You will destroy your plane long before you will even scratch the 4mm shaft. Trust me any difference in price will be spent on replacement parts for the himax. The peace of mind alone makes the Cobri a no-brainer!
Old 10-09-2005, 08:00 PM
elenasgrumpy

Sold me! Thanks DMACK
Old 10-09-2005, 09:59 PM
DMehalko

ORIGINAL: DMACK

I've had a himax as well and it doesn't compare. The gears are much thinner than the Cobri, and are a much more brittle plastic.. The prop shaft is thinner and has smaller bearings. The 4mm shaft on the Cobri is guaranteed unbendable. You will destroy your plane long before you will even scratch the 4mm shaft. Trust me any difference in price will be spent on replacement parts for the himax. The peace of mind alone makes the Cobri a no-brainer!

What gear ration is the best? I like the stock 6.6:1 as far as performance goes, but hate the stock gear box.

BTW, is anyone else's edge witht he park 400 make all kinds of noise at full throttle?
Old 10-10-2005, 06:33 PM
DMACK

6.6/1 with a APC 12x6 SF is great for 3D. You can fly the plane really slow with confidence due to the ton of thrust it puts out. It will still fly pretty fast but sucks a lot of amps. It really keeps the down lines really slow, great for flat spins ans blenders.

To increase the overall speed of the plane, and make wind penetration better, I go with 6.0 or 6.3/1 with an APC 11x7 SF. The plane is faster overall, pulls less amps, but still has plenty of power for hovering. On windy days when down low 3D isn't the focus the 11x7 is money. If the air is still and I'm trying to really work the tork rolls and harriers, the 12x6 comes into play.

Keep in mind this is with an AON T2415-4900, it's a bigger motor than the Park or Himax. With the 12x6 - 275 watts, the 11x7 250 watts.

You can fly this plane with a 10x6 SF and pull way less amps and it will still haul the groceries plenty for pattern flying!
Old 10-11-2005, 09:01 PM
DMehalko

Think im gonna give the himax gear box a shot, because we have them in stock.

Anyway, got some more flight time on the edge, the thing is snappy as crap, half elevator pull it will roll to the right, harriers have HEAVY wing rock.
Other than that it hovers and tourqe rolls real nice, pretty flat spins, and violent blenders
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25755.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	337807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93761.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	337808  
Old 10-12-2005, 10:27 PM
dizzane
My Feedback: (140)

I just build mine, have not had it up yet. I was wanting to know what your flight times are with the eflite 400 and a 2100mah 3cell, I am still playing around with props. I am using the himac gearbox and I want to have lots of power to pull out of anything. Thanks for your help, Duane
Old 10-13-2005, 04:50 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I've taken mine out a couple of times so far, and only had it in the air once. Turns out we made a mistake.

The "we" is me and EFlite. They put lousy landing gear in the plane and I didn't notice a few things about it.

Turns out that the composite piece in my ARF had some rake. When mounted one way, it'd rake the wheels toward the front. Mounted the other way, they'd rake toward the rear. And I didn't notice and put the gear on the plane with the rake toward the rear. That resulted in flipping the plane while rolling out from the first landing. The flip came when the sucker whipped sharply to the side, hit the grass beside the asphalt runway, and flipped. That flip broke the vertical fin, bent the prop shaft, snapped one tip off the prop, hooked the elevator in some dirt, and that broke the gears in the elevator servo. (Those S47s ain't real tough are they.)

Back home, I noticed the rake and that both legs were somewhat out of true, but after turning the gear around, the wheels looked pretty decently forward. BTW, I put larger wheels on the sucker, since I figured if it was stable enough on the ground, I'd be able to fly off real short grass at one of my flying fields. So I could turn the gear around. Turns out the wheels looked close to an inch forward.

Now, I'd made the mistake of not looking closely at the way the gear was shaped. And I compounded that by not looking even closer. Turns out that the axles wound up square to the ends of the gear legs, and were skewed from that. The gear not only raked, but was somewhat warped down the legs. And I missed that too.

Second time out was this morning.

Got 75 feet down the runway when the sucker whipped left. Last time was right. This time was left. See the pattern? It dawned on me that by turning the gear around, I'd changed the direction the wreck takes place. Turns out the axle on "that side" is a couple of degrees toed. It is now toed out, being on the left.

This time the Park 400/4200kV snapped it's drive shaft off. Amazing. The plastic 66t gear is in perfect shape. But the gear shaft is bent. And another of those servo's gears are gone. This time it's the rudder one.

I've just now made a jig to set the axles straight. Will setup with a degree or two of toe in and square everywhere else. But first gotta go buy another motor, gear box, and servo. Buying some decent JS servos now.

I'm not sure if I'm rich enough to see this baby fly.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:03 PM
Ernie Misner

Is that servo similar to the eflight S75's?

Ernie
Old 10-14-2005, 09:43 PM
da Rock

EFlite's RS75 I think it's named. Don't know what I was thinkin' when I typed that "47" other than the fact that I'd been looking for a .46 sized P47 or Corsair for the last hour or so.

Just now spent the last hour trying to reshape that composite landing gear. I decided that it really needed a quality work over.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:52 PM
dizzane

My Mini Edge is ready to go but I am not sure about the gear box. I have a Mini Funtan with and Axi 2808/24 and I love that setup, I think I am going to sell my gear box setup befor I even try it, I have an Eflite 400 with the Himax Gearbox with the three different gear setups.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:54 PM
da Rock

The gearbox seems to be very fragile. I've bent two prop shafts already and snapped the motor shaft once.

I noticed that EFlite is offering an outrunner for the Funtana and Edge that's supposed to be available right about now. 2nd half of October. I think it's called the 540. Saw it in a magazine just the other day.

Wish it'd been out a couple of weeks ago.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:03 PM
da Rock

BTW, on the AXI 2808/24 setup....

What're you using for a battery? LiPo? 2 or 3 cells? What prop.

I'm within an inch of retrofitting a motor like that into my Litl'E.

I think running something shorter than the 12x6 would cut down some of the prop strike damage that slams back through the plane if you even touch the grass with the prop while it's spinning.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:33 PM
dizzane

With my Axi I am running the APS 10x3.8 on 2100mah 3cells
Old 10-18-2005, 06:12 AM
garrett490

Hey Guys
I just got my Edge going. Here is what i got:
1. Blue Birds All the way around ...not sure which ones.
2. Castle Creations 25
3. Hacker A20-20L
4. 3C Li-poly 11.1 2100
5 5 Channel FMA Reciever

I had to ad some weight to the nose. Even with everything forward. I purchased it RTF minus Batt. and Reciever. for $200. It was an ok deal not a great one. AND HOLY %&^%^&% THAT EDGE DOES THE BEST KNIFE EDGE SPIN I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!! IT LOOKS LIKE THE PLANE WILL BLOW UP!!!!!
Old 10-18-2005, 06:39 PM
patrickd

I love my ME, but I bent the E-flite prop shaft and want to order a Cobri. A 6.6/1 and 6.3/1 ratios have been recommended, but I can't find these ratios on the Cobri site.
http://www.e-flightline.com/gearboxes.htm#Cobri%2020
I use a Park 400 3700kv motor and it is ok for my flying. What gears should I order?
Thanks, Patrick
Old 10-19-2005, 11:03 AM
DMehalko

After my 4th gearbox im totally done with gearbox's all together. It proved a good powerplant but the new E-flite 450 outrunners are out. Going to give this one try.

So if anyone needs a park 400 4200kv i'll sell it cheap. Its also got the heat sink on it.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:57 AM
Monkey Gutz69
My Feedback: (5)

Hey Guys, I have a question about batteries in the Lil E and Mini Funtana. I understand that weight is the enemy of flight. E-Flite 4200 uses 175 watts @16 amps geared @6.6:1.Why is everyone using 2000-2100 mAh batteries when a 1320 will do 16 amps and give 6-8 min. flight time????If it is a balance problem, you can open the firewall and install a tray. I have already done this in my MF.
I have the MF and only had an Apogee 2480. It weighs 5.75 oz.. The 1320 weighs 3.oz.. should I buy the 1320 and save the 2.75 oz?????? The MF seemed slightly sluggish with the 2480 and stock gearing w/ 12x 6 prop.. motor was hot after 5 minutes.. will changethat to 11x4.8. I am thinking lighter is better.. Is there any reason other than CG and longer flight time to use a large battery?? Thanks for any help.. MG
Old 10-20-2005, 02:33 PM
uncle_rc

Just finished building mine, took about 6 hours. Not too bad of a build; hinges were a pain in the ***** and had to use an extra washer on the landing gear to make it tight and still spin. Very tail heavy, putting some lead in the cowel. All in all, pretty cool looking. My feeling is this: If it flight like sh&t it will still look good hanging in the hobby room.

UNCLE RC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.