Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: e-flite mini edge 540

Koko,

Sorry Koko, I thought you meant the park 400 outrunner... that was the reason I told you it wasn't nearly enouph power. The 400 inrunner should be just fine!

BTW, I flew the new E-flight Ultimate FX this afternoon. I forgot to adjust the linkage on the elevator... when I arrived at the field, I powered up my transmitter and watched the elevator deflect up about 15 degrees. Oh no!!! I drove all the way out here without my tools and I can't adjust the linkage. So I pushed the up button on the elevator digital trim switch and held it until the last beep. There it was... the elevator looked about neutral.... should I take off?!! It's my maiden flight. What if I need more down trim? Theres none left. The hell with it I thought. This bird's only $60 bucks and I want to fly! I advanced throttle wide open to attempt a grass runway takeoff and off she went. Wow!!! Not one click up, down, left, right; this plane was perfect. 5-10 mph winds and I pointed her directly into the wind, dropped the throttle pulled full up elevator, and she just sat there looking up in harrier mode with no forward movement as she slowly started to lose altitude. I added a little left aileron and watched a beautiful slow harrier roll with virtually no rudder or elevator input needed. Needless to say, by the time the 1st battery started to lose steem, I felt like I'd been flying this plane for years. Thank God I had 2 more batteries. And thank God I bought this plane. The ultimate has a Park 400 outrunner with E-flight's old 20 amp ESC powered by TP 1320ma Lipolys and a 10*4.7 prop. My ME is hanging up for sale at the hobby store.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: cje0114

GR,

Would you know the thickness of that landing gear by any chance? I work for a sign shop so I have all kinds of aluminum around. I would like to make one for my mini edge.

Thanks,

Chris
    i took a couple pics.. unfortunately i dont have a caliber but with cheap tape measure its not to clear/after i took pics looked for original carbon fibre gear.. looks to be about same thickness checking quickly by eye. the gear in pic next to edge was some i cut out of scrap L channel its 1/32 if i remember rite.. it would work but is a little to light for the edge application/giving it to a bud to put on his foam edge. your best bet would be take stock gear with to compare.. you could always drill out holes to lighten if the guage of aluminum is to thick. the overall length is about 14 inches for stock and 8 inches wide measure from outside of gear for width. hope this helps sorry i dont have something to get accurate measure of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr51474.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	350981   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up47659.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	350982  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

GR,

Thanks a bunch! I think I'll go with .125 aluminum with holes to lighten it up. It should be much better than the stock gear since I fly from grass.

BTW, have you or anyone else landed the ME on short grass with the stock wheels and wheel pants? I hope the fuse can handle it.

Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

no prob when you get it done post your handy work. today was maiden/no idea about grass landings and i hope i dont have to land it in grass

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey where are you guys getting or seeing this 3dhobbyshop gear? Does anyone have a link?

Thanks!

Ernie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Hey where are you guys getting or seeing this 3dhobbyshop gear? Does anyone have a link?

Thanks!

Ernie
    No pic at this time but heres the link
    http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/SearchRes...landing%20gear

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Thanks!

Ernie
    lOOK FOR POST 591 FOR A PIC TOWARDS THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&page=40&pp=15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am planning on going to the A-30 series outrunner motor from the Himax 2025 w/6.6:1 gearbox setup. The A30-28s has 1140 kv and uses 3 cells Lipo for 11.1v while the A30- 22s has 1440 kv and can use either 7.4 or 11.1v. The idea I had was to see if it would be feasable to use a 2 cell Lipo and the A30-22s and save 2 oz of weight and still be able to prop the ME to get nearly the same performance, and even lighter wing loading.
    I am pretty much tired of geared motors. I have seen the outrunner guys just keep on flying while I fight with gears..thus the main reason for going to the Hacker A30 series Any thoughts on this?? Thanks, Monkey Gutz
    Old Skool Horsepower... If a little bit is good then a whole bunch is better, and to much still ain't enough

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey MonkeyGutz,

I share the same reasoning for going with the Outrunner, tired of gears, although, I didn't have that much trouble with them... they are still a pain to fool with. Outrunners for me, from this point on. I have gone with the HiMax 2816-0890 for my ME, I will run, TP 2100 3s ProLite packs. I am afraid you will be VERY disapointed if you try to use a 2s pack. Just not enough "umph" !

I may be disapointed in my 2816-0890, but it is a good place to start. I just got my ESC back from CC, had it updated to handle the Outrunner Highwind, Low KV motors. If your CC25 (if you are using one) doesn't have the 3a BEC, it will "smoke" unless updated. CC charges $25 to update the ESC's for the High Wind, Low KV motors.

I hope to have my ME flying on Saturday. Got it all ready, other than putting the connectors on the ESC and Battery.

I did tick myself off tonight, I broke the tail skid while working with it on the bench. Guess I will look for a small tail wheel to put on in it's place.

Have a great weekend !
    Rob
    \"Hotshot Charlie\"
    Tupelo, MS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tryed flying today.. took up mini edge to test 450bl and typhoon. local forcast said 5-10mph winds.. no prob not the best conditions but flyable. it was another story when i got to field.. both planes battled with constant yaw/pitch/and roll changes.. seemed like i was flying with a constant glitch . yesterday was 40mph plus winds. wanted to test some stuff out with parkflyer edge but didnt take it.. probally was pushing my luck with only one flight prior on mini edge.. and even as good as the typhoon flys they both could have easily been lost today. battled after a few attempts at landings... couldnt get a decent aproach.. finally landed each plane. both in one piece but both were sideways during entire aproach and any rudder correction to get them straight just made them veer offline of runway.. i hate crosswinds lol. heres a short clip of conditions http://media.putfile.com/Wind-Conditions let me know what you think about this.. is this 10 mph winds ? i think im done for the season as far as flying and set up testing .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got my first few flights on my mini edge today. two flights to be exact. All I can say is WOW! This is an awesome airplane. I wound up going with the reccomended setup. Park 400 4200kv, 20a esc. I don't have a 2100mah battery so I used my TP 1320mah batteries. I got around 10-12 minutes of flying on each charge so I was happy. I also used 2 inch wheels since I was flying off grass. I had no problem with take off or landing. I don't know why there is so much bad talk about the airplane, It flys and does 3D great. It has to be one of the easiest planes that I ever put into a hover!

The Mini Edge is a keeper for sure. I just need to get an aluminum gearbox for it since I don't trust the stock one.

Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey, I just got a mini edge 540, and finished assembly last night, but i noticed something when i was done; if you look straight down at the rear of the plane, my elevator is slightly twisted to the left. I measured and its only about a centimeter or less. I don't know how i screwed up! I thought i had everything measured out perfectly! Anyways, will this effect the planes flying ability much. If it will, is there a way i can un-do it and re-do it? Thanks for the help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

cje0114.. you flew 10 to 12 minutes on a 1320 doing high alfa and 3D stuff? id like to be able to get some good flights in but weather has just been bad for these little planes out here. forecast is saying 40mph plus winds again[]. how did your landing gear work out? both times i flew edge there was bad winds.. when i get better weather im sure i'll be able to see what it can do and flying it will be a lot more fun.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey RcHeliGuy89,

My opinion is FLY IT ! Not enough off to make a difference on these little beasts. Have fun and stay safe !
    Rob
    \"Hotshot Charlie\"
    Tupelo, MS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

GR,

I was being very conservative on the throttle to get those flight times with the 1320. All of the regular flying was at half throttle or less with short breaks for the 3D stuff. I tried not to hover too much, but this plane does it so well. I also tried to keep full throttle verticle flight to a minimum too, but it had it's times to be done. I have a TP 2100mah battery on order at the LHS, but the 1320's will do for now.

As far as the landing gear is concerned, I'm still using the stock one. I've been way too busy at work to make the aluminum one, and too tired at the end of the day to stick around. I'll get it done sooner or later though.

Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are you all using the ca hinges that came with the Mini Edge?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

im using stock ca hinges. i considered using micro robart or dubro type hinges though. didnt feel it would make a huge difference in response or performance. im also using dubro parkflyer hinge tape to seal gaps in ailerons and elevator its very flexable and holds good.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was just wondering about the battery connectors I'm using on the Mini Edge. I am using the polarized Deas micro connectors since that's what I use on all my foamies. Will I be Ok with them while running the 4200kv park 400 with the eflight 20a esc? I have 3 flights now with no problems but just wanted some assurance.

Thanks,

Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RcHeliGuy89

Hey, I just got a mini edge 540, and finished assembly last night, but i noticed something when i was done; if you look straight down at the rear of the plane, my elevator is slightly twisted to the left. I measured and its only about a centimeter or less. I don't know how i screwed up! I thought i had everything measured out perfectly! Anyways, will this effect the planes flying ability much. If it will, is there a way i can un-do it and re-do it? Thanks for the help.
    Not to be mean, but did you read the instructions that came with the plane?

They clearly say to check the horizontal stab to make sure that it is parallel with the wings prior to removing the covering and installing the stab. If it's not parallel to the wing a bit of sanding is required. Same deal with the rudder install, only that it should be square with the horizontal stab.

A centimeter is 10mm difference. That's quite a bit of difference. Especially considering the amount of control surface and throw there is on the elevator.

I really hope you meant 1 millimeter.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Jason and gang,

Jason, you are totally correct. There is a difference and it's quite a bit, but at this point, unless he tears the beast apart (ie. mess), flying it is about his only option. To clarify, That is why I said fly it. If it flys badly, that is when I would start pulling the beast apart.

One thing that I can tell folks after my first flights on the ME 540, is that SMALL INCREMENTS, of throw make a HUGE, difference in flying this little bird. To elaborate, I put the amount of throw that was suggested in the little bird and on take off, I did a roll when I just "breathed" on the sticks.... landed it, made some throw adjustments via the radio and took back off..... the Mini Edge 540 flew like it was on rails. I do have some adjusting to do, but the wind was up and blowing from different angles, trimming wasn't a good option. I did find that I reduced the High Rate to about 3/4 of what I had in it and that was about perfect. I didn't 3D it much, did some slow, high nose flybys (not really Harrier stuff) with no wing wag. I did some rolls, loops, Split S's, Emmelmans, etc. and all were great. Probably the most surprising thing was that this little bird landed beautifully. I set it up on glide slope, keeping about 1/4 throttle until about 10 feet, then reduced throttle to 0, and she just landed herself ! Very pleased with the first flights. I did 3 takeoffs and landings, with great results.

The only issues that I have is that it's rolling out of the loops a little bit to the left. Again, wind could have been playing a role in that.

I will spend some time tweaking it for 3D, but as far as an aerobatic airplane, it is just that..... very good flyer !

Rob
    \"Hotshot Charlie\"
    Tupelo, MS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The only issues that I have is that it's rolling out of the loops a little bit to the left. Again, wind could have been playing a role in that
    I had the same problem on my first flight with the ME. Turns out that I needed to balance it laterally. I have a dime on the right wingtip now, and it loops perfect. It also helped with the left wing dropping at slow speed. It's much more precise now.

Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Chris,

I didn't do a lateral balance.... thanks for reminding me to do that.... I bet it could be my problem in the loops !!!
    Rob
    \"Hotshot Charlie\"
    Tupelo, MS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys. I just bought a Mini Edge. I put a Hacker A30 out runner direct drive in it powered by a TP 2100 bat. Good power. I am an experience flyer proficient at 3D. I have 2 Mini Katana’s and have flown the Mini Funtana. My problem with my edge is the SNAP. I have the CG in the range. Tried several CG setting. Currently at 62 MM. Even on the recommended deflection settings, this things snaps like no bird I have ever seen ? Everything looks straight on the plane. Anyone else having this problem ?

Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Snaps are a little weird on this plane. It seems that if you going to slow, it will almost want to stall. If your going to fast, it gets a little squirly. I just got my 8th and 9th flights on the ME today. The more I fly it, the more I figure out what this airplane wants for different moves. All I can say is, play around with it and figure out what it needs for the moves your trying. It seems to take a certain touch with some things on the ME.

Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am an experienced Pilot. I know when a bird just has some weird tendencies. This is something much more. Can not figure it out. I have noticed more then average amount of wing flap. Holding the plan by the wing tips and bouncing it, lots of flex. Can not see anything broker or loose. Anyone else have this ? Hum ???

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast