Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

NEW to Electric Flight

Old 12-15-2005, 09:34 PM
SuperKaos
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW to Electric Flight

And lovin it!

Anyway, I'm new to E Flight and thought I'd say Hi. HI!

30 days ago I would have never thought I'd be into electric flight [:'(]

But now, I can't fly enough! I go every day before work, and after work. I found a field right on my route back and forth to work I've Been doing gas/glow r/c flying for 20 years now. Three weeks ago I tried my first Foamy, now I'm hooked!

I am currenty flying a 3Dfoamy Super Cap w/ a Hacker A20 20L

So far this combo is just awesome!

I don't think I go anywhere without my FOAMY
Old 12-15-2005, 10:00 PM
novabill

Default RE: NEW to Electric Flight

Haa Haa,

I keep a stiffy in the trunk with 4 full packs all the time.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:06 AM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Ahhhhh yes. Another successful convert.

Welcome to the darkside, let the foamie force grow within you, young pilot.
Away put your glow planes, fly foamies for eternity you will. Mmmmm yes. Consume you it will..
Old 12-16-2005, 12:08 AM
novabill

ORIGINAL: bdavison

Ahhhhh yes. Another successful convert.

Welcome to the darkside, let the foamie force grow within you, young pilot.
Away put your glow planes, fly foamies for eternity you will. Mmmmm yes. Consume you it will..

LMAO Let the FORCE run free within you
Old 12-16-2005, 12:38 AM
mountaindr3wz

foamys are also wayyy cheaper and i mean really really cheap to fix. goodluck.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:06 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please don end up like me ... now I am starting on my Fliton Extra 300 for EP! It really grows on you, I am a nitro die hard but after trying EP I am loving it a lot.

I did not realise it but over the last 1 year I got like more than 12 EP planes, I killed a lot of foamies too but it was fun!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28596.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	370928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21197.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	370929  
Old 12-16-2005, 06:26 PM
SuperKaos

Thanks for the warm, "Stiffy" type welcome

To say that I am hooked would be an understatement!

Today alone I went out before work, lunch time, then again on the way home

I test flew it on Monday and I already have 15 flights on it. I'm headed out again at 6:30 am tomorrow...

I already have to 1320 TP LiPo packs, I charge them while driving [8D] I hope to God I don't need FOUR packs

How could you NOT get hooked on a plane that can do EVERYTHING, ANYWHERE!
Old 12-16-2005, 06:27 PM
SuperKaos

Thanks for the warm, "Stiffy" type welcome

To say that I am hooked would be an understatement!

Today alone I went out before work, lunch time, then again on the way home

I test flew it on Monday and I already have 15 flights on it. I'm headed out again at 6:30 am tomorrow...

I already have two 1320 TP LiPo packs, I charge them while driving [8D] I hope to God I don't need FOUR packs

How could you NOT get hooked on a plane that can do EVERYTHING, ANYWHERE!
Old 12-16-2005, 08:37 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, the origional stiffy and still the best! Have fun man!
Old 12-17-2005, 12:18 AM
bdavison

Remember, a pilot's strength flows from the Foamy. But beware. Anger, fear, aggression. The nitro side are they. Once you start down the foamie path, forever will it dominate your destiny. SuperKaos... SuperKaos... do not... do not underestimate the powers of the Foamy or suffer a crash you will. SuperKaos, when gone are we... the last of the foamie pilots will you be. SuperKaos, the Foamy runs strong in your family. Pass on what you have learned, SuperKaos. There is... another... newbie electric pilot somewhere.

Old 12-17-2005, 06:05 AM
SuperKaos

Yes, thank you. Just what I needed as a waken from my sleep as I now sit here on my PC at 6 AM (checking the weather/wind) next to my foamy waiting for daylight so I can worship my foamy airborne once again
Old 12-31-2005, 11:19 AM
SuperKaos

ORIGINAL: novabill

Haa Haa,

I keep a stiffy in the trunk with 4 full packs all the time.
Well today I flew FOUR liPo packs dead Man, it's like I have a stiffy all day and all night! Today marks 3 weeks with my first Foamy and so far I have 45 flights on her!

Man, I think R/C Planes have been flying ME for the past 20 years. Now I'm finally flying THEM
Old 12-31-2005, 10:14 PM
tf2psycho
Banned

welcome to electric flight (thanks 2 NASA )
time to sell your glow engine with the leaky carb needle and air bubbled fuel line
god i hate nitro problems thats what turned me on to alternative power options for my toys
(li-po w/Brushless) now i want a li-po/brushless car, truck, and boat but the cost is insane ...
wait till the new li-po that runs for a week without charging comes out.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12119.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	378887  
Old 01-02-2006, 09:33 AM
SuperKaos

Yes, I have to agree it is an awesome creation by far. And the combo of brushless motors takes these planes to the advanced levels that they are today.
However, I am a beginning E Flier; I just came in at the right time

I still like my (currently sitting) Nitro/Gas planes, I always had a good luck with them. Minimal to NO problems at all. Just depends on the engines/carbs you are using.
What I like about electric flight is the convenience of it. I only have to go a mile away from home to fly. I don't have to worry about the wind direction, runway, or any specific flying space ingeneral. Just plug in the LiPo, flip the transmitter on, and launch the plane.

Actually TODAY marks 3 weeks with my SuperCap Foamy from its fist test flight. I now have 54 flights on her. So far it's been a great experience, 54 flights with NO problems, everytime out I am doing new maneuvers. My flying skills have never accelled so much so quick!

And this past weekend almost all my flying is on (close to) the deck now. I even started doing some hovering upon hand launching today.

All I do is practice doing 3D maneuvers, and I am having more fun with this plane than any other I have owned! And all it is, is foam

Old 01-02-2006, 11:40 AM
bdavison

Its funny. I feel the same way. I flew nitro for a long time. Never really gave electrics much thought until I saw a video online of a shocky flying inside some guys garage. I thought it looked cool, so I went to my local hobby shop to check them out. Turned out that there was a pretty large group of people here that fly them. So I got started. My first foamy I think was a Parkzone F-27 Stryker. I took it out in the field behind my house for its maiden flight. Revved it up and hucked it. This was back in January of 2005.

Now I have close to 20 planes, and Im building more. Havent flown a nitro in about a month, and really dont care much for them anymore. The only slimers Im interested in now are the big 40% gas birds, but I cant afford one of those. (I would love to have a nice composite-arf giles, but thats a dream) Ive even started flying electric helicopters...something I NEVER thought I would do. I wouldnt have touched a nitro helicopter way back then. Now...sure Ill fly anything.

Flying these foamies has given me skills that would have taken decades to learn with a nitro plane. I used to go to the local flying field, look at some planes, and think "I wish I could fly something like that". Now I go out there, and KNOW I could fly something like that. Im not afraid to fly different planes now. Its great.

I went out this past weekend to a huge fly-in. I just brought my electric Revolution II. I figured it was mostly going to be big gas planes. Surprisingly, there were just as many electrics as slimers out there. I watched as one guy pulled his HUGE composite-arf Extra 330S up into a hovering torque-roll over the runway. It was funny actually. Everyone was like "WOW, check that out, that's skill". My immediate thought was "thats easy".

Most of these guys have never gotten their hands on a foamy, so they dont know how easy it is to learn that stuff. Six months with a good foamy, and you'll be able to pull off any of the maneuvers that the big 3D pilots are doing. Sure it may not be as smooth or precise, but you'll be able to do it.

The guy with the Extra, also did a low inverted pass down the runway. Once again there were "ooooohs and ahhhhhhs". Again I was thinking "thats easy".

I was thinking...hmmm I wonder how the guy with the big extra learned all that....I got my answer about 20 min later, as I watched him take a little Ikarus Shocky Edge out for a flight. Yup....he knows the secret.

When it was my turn to go fly, I took up my little electric, and flew my heart out. Hovering inches off the runway, knife-edge passes all the way down the runway, inverted low passes, inverted spins and blenders, avalanches, harriers...etc.

Oh and the "rolling circle" I used to sweat bullets just thinking about doing that maneuver...now....piece o cake.

Trust me...SPEND LOTS OF TIME FLYING FOAMIES. Fly every chance you get. It WILL improve your skills, way beyond your imagination.
Man, I think R/C Planes have been flying ME for the past 20 years. Now I'm finally flying THEM
Aint it the truth...Isnt it great to be able to just go out and FLY it like there is no gravity or ground to crash into. Just bore holes in the sky, tear it up, shred clouds, and go completely stark raving bonkers psycho with a model airplane. Jam full throttle to it, Yank full up elevator, shove the sticks to the corners of the box...GO NUTS.

I LOVE FLYING THESE THINGS.

Im completely hooked, addicted, you name it. All I think about all day is flying model airplanes.

Yesterday, I took my Revolution II out behind my house, and just flew around, trying different stuff. Just goofing off. Once the battery got low, I brought it down, and made a nice slow harrier landing in the grass.....thats when I heard it. Clapping...

Yup Clapping...and lots of it. I picked up my plane and looked around wondering where it was coming from. I saw a bunch of people in a backyard down the street. They had been watching me flying and were clapping alot. That just made my day, I was on cloud 9 for the rest of the day. Nobody has ever clapped for my flying before. That was awesome.

Here are a list of some of my favorite WOW factor maneuvers.

1. Shove full throttle, Pull it straight up vertical, do 1 roll. Key rudder (like a stall turn), do a 1 roll on the downleg, exit inverted, and do a snap roll, exit the snap in knife-edge, and continue knife-edge down the runway.

2. Roll it inverted. pull up, and dive straight down towards the deck. Just as it's about to go deep six, shove full down elevator and snatch it out to inverted flight right at the last second. The closer you get to the ground, the better. I guarentee you will give everyone a heart attack. I did this with my sisters boyfriend and my dad watching one day, and both of them were breathing harder than I was. MWUHAHAHAHAHA

3. The rolling loop is always a crowd-pleaser. Still working on mine, but Im getting there.

One night, we were flying outside of the local high school gym. There is a HUGE brick wall. I took my shocky and shoved full throttle and flew straight towards that wall. Right at the last second, Id snatch it up into vertical and climb straight up the wall, with a shadow of the plane from the street light following it up the wall. Bill watched me do it. I have to admit..Even I was thinking "wow, that was cool"

Learn the inverted stuff. Many pilots have a hard time with this, and when they see a wild manuever done with it inverted, it just adds that little extra. Dont forget half and quarter rolls. Mix it up. Use lots of rolls in your maneuvers.

EAT SKY.

I gotta get some video's up here.

Old 01-02-2006, 01:54 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

[link=http://www.3dfoamy.com/Videos/supercap1.wmv]Here is my supercap![/link]
Old 01-04-2006, 01:24 PM
SuperKaos

Awesome video John, nicely done! And flown

Well, put bdavison! I have the foamy flu too! It has only been 5 and 1/2 weeks [&:] It has been nothing but hell the entire time. It's almost as if I eat foam for breakfast, lunch, and dinner

I am dedicating (if I have to) all of 2006 to lean EVERY maneuver out there, and all low to the deck as if it were second nature. So far my skills have been excelling like never before. Today I test flew the Reflection Bibe. Man, what a blast. It hovers like it's on a string. I only did one test flight this morning and then a friend bought it.

I now have 4 lipo 1320 packs, you know what the best thing about flying 4 packs is?

You have time to recharge your first pack while you fly the other three. Then you can fly a fifth pack with no waiting
Old 01-04-2006, 04:53 PM
tf2psycho
Banned

and it doesnt cost anything to charge the packs but if it was glow fuel it would cost alot
i am so addicted to flying and call of duty 2

[link=http://www.callofduty.com/]call of duty link[/link]

Old 01-04-2006, 06:22 PM
SuperKaos

Yeap, I guess you won't see the pay off untill you start replacing the LiPo's