Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

E-flite Ultimate FX

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 08:58 PM
shotgun
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-flite Ultimate FX

Okay guys, A buddy of mine assembled one of these planes and when it got to the wing assembly, the hot glue melted the fuse everywhere the glue made contact. I kinda laughed about it even though he claimed it was a low temp glue gun. Soooo, I was putting mine together tonight and got to this step. I pulled out my trusty low temp gun, that I have used on plenty of foamies with no problem, and what do you know, the darn fuselage melted and turned white at the contact points. What a bummer. Did E-flite use a different foam than they did on the Yak or other foamies. I know it won't affect the way it flys, but I do like for them to look good before that first encounter with the ground. Has anybody else had a problem with fuse melting?
Old 12-26-2005, 10:36 PM
Bevo

Default RE: E-flite Ultimate FX

Everyone I know has used Bob Smith's Odorless Medium CA with Kicker and hasn't had a problem. That's weird that a low temp hot glue gun would do that.

Bevo
Old 12-26-2005, 10:53 PM
Ryguy
My Feedback: (1)

That is strange. Don't leave that thing in a car on a summer day. Might only be the electronics left!
Old 12-27-2005, 01:56 AM
hobbydude214
My Feedback: (13)

i noticed that in the building instructions also. i have also seen a few fly. so i decided to sit down and modify it a little bit. the vertical wing supports were widened and i drilled holes in certian spot to lighten the total weight of the plane. im usint an e flite 400 920 kv, 12x6 prop not sure if i will stay with that one, e flight s75 servos thunder power 3 cell 850 mah lipo and e flite speed control with a gws reciever, total weight, 14 oz, this thing flies great with the little modifications here and there, i do not recommend hot glue on any foam airplane b/c of weight and its not nearly as strong. even though you want this to be an outdoor flyer you still need to keep it likgh b/c you have to figure the equation of the wingloading aginst the weight. although my flighst have been sucuessful and the roll coupling is at a minium. i would suggest to take your time and look things over where you can improve read up on it dont just fly through the instructions and think their perfect. the overall appearence is nice but i also saw some blemishes on the wings, but oh well im into having it fly well i cant see them in the air anyways.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:56 PM
shotgun
My Feedback: (9)

Ya know, sometimes you just have to go against the grain. I've been building for 20 years but just been into the foamies for about three. I used a combination of hot glue and foam safe ca for the first few foamies until I read about a guy who was going flying after work only to find a melted mess in his car. I was really hesitant to use the hot glue on the Ultimate but figured E-Flite should know best. Oh well, let's just hope it performs. Just say no to HOT GLUE!!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 03:35 AM
Gus155

UHU POR is the best stuff Ive found for foamys. Used hot glue on my FX, with out problems, but mainly used to tack things in place while the POR dries.
The FX is an awesome flyer.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:05 AM
jhogie31
My Feedback: (4)

So, what I am seeing is, it is okay to use a "Thick" foam safe CA for the step that calls for Hot glue???? I have been stuck at that step in the instructions for 2 weeks because I just dont see the good in using Hot Glue!!!

Thanks for the heads up, I can resume putting this thing together.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:27 PM
cje0114
My Feedback: (27)

Use Epoxy, NOT CA! I am on my second FX now due to a numbskull that interferred with me at the flying field causing me to crash. I tried Ca on the wings and it ALSO melted the fuse. I used epoxy on my new one with no melting problems what so ever.

Chris
Old 01-14-2006, 02:03 AM
hobbydude214

ya you're suppossed to use foam safe ca with foam safe accelerator. not regular ca and epoxy is a lot heavier. FOAM SAFE ca holds a lot better than hot glue and is lighter than epoxy. i used foam safe ca on the whole plane and its 45 flights strong now so id say i trust it
Old 01-14-2006, 08:01 AM
cje0114

i did use foam safe ca.

chris
Old 01-16-2006, 08:11 AM
jhogie31

Okay, Used Foam Safe CA, and it worked fine. Seems a little odd that the instructions tell you to NOT use CA on that step. It also requests that you use Hot Glue for several other steps. I, for one, am afraid of Hot Glue. It doesnt have a consistant temperature, it melts in hot weather, and it is very messy.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:50 AM
hobbydude214

you could also try some lightning holes in the fire wall once you get comfortable with the plane that and some other special mods have my fx down to 13.5 with the battery it flies like a dream. good choice with the foam safe ca very light and strong.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:46 AM
easton24
My Feedback: (1)

I used thick foam safe ca every step with gp pro ca aerosol activator so far no probems it melting the foam. I will see how it holds up on the wing.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:02 AM
jhogie31

Great tips guys. This is why I come to RC Universe. I used the Foam Safe CA with accellerator, and everything went together fine. Been waiting for the gale force winds to subside before I maiden.

My Question: I read that I needed 60% expo for the control surfaces. This seems excessive. I have a Futaba system, and put "Negative" 60% into the ailerons and elevator. I like my rudder to have authority!!

Is this too much?

Thanks
Jhogie31
Old 01-29-2006, 11:37 PM
hobbydude214

no that is fine however you feel comfortable with your expo is right, yes its negative expo for futaba and positive for jr so you got it right
Old 01-30-2006, 12:29 AM
marks90004

Hey Guys,

I was about to buy this plane for my first 3D electric. I have an Gas powered Ultimate and it did have some coupling issues when trying to knife edge. Just curious if this is a major problem with the FX also.

Some people are persuading me to try a YAK instead.... what do you guys think?
Old 01-30-2006, 03:31 PM
emnm79
My Feedback: (5)

say no to hot glue.... if you need something flexible get UHU Por... otherwise odorless CA all the way.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:03 PM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

Had one of these put together for me with a Eflight 450 motor.
Wanting to know what prop might be best with this motor?
Old 01-31-2006, 12:57 PM
cje0114

I ran mine with the 450 for a while. I used an APC 11x4.7SF prop. It was nice, but the flight times where too short with my 1320's(7-8 minutes). I switched over to the 400 outrunner 920kv version and I'm much happier now with the flight times(around 13-15 minutes of 3D flight).

Marks90004,

Yes, this plane does have issues in KE just like the larger Ultimates. However it is a joy in other aspects of 3D flight which makes me not really mind the bad KE.

Chris
Old 01-31-2006, 06:24 PM
marks90004

Cool.... thanks for the response Chris.... I went ahead and purchased it last night.

Only thing though is that I should've read your response ahead of time, because I ended up buying a 450 motor for it like you did the first time.
I guess I'll just have to deal with the short flight times.

Just curious, would hovering with the 450 vs. the 400 still give you half the flight time eventhough you're using the same amount of energy to keep it at hover?

I was thinking that it would be the same flight time because you would'nt be *****g the throttle for hovering... I gather that the only difference would be the extra energy needed to hover being that the 450 motor is a 1/2 once more in weight.

Or am I mistaken?
Old 01-31-2006, 10:12 PM
cje0114

From my view, I feel that the FX flies exactly the same with the 450 vs. the 400. It's really weird and I was dissapointed with the 450. I'm much happier with the 400 on it now.

Chris
Old 02-13-2006, 09:48 PM
hinsonc

Hi all,
I have been thinking of purchasing the ultimate fx as a replacement for my ultrafly furious, which is powered by an e-flite park370 outrunner(1080 kv) with a 3 cell 1000mah. It flys great with this motor, but I am worried that the ultimate fx may be a little too heavy for that motor. I would like to avoid buying another motor, both for my budgets sake and because the 370 is a great motor. The 370 is rated for 7-14 oz. Any suggestions?
Old 02-14-2006, 01:24 PM
cje0114

You need a larger motor, like the 400 920kv. It could also use the 450, but I didn't see much of a difference with that motor other than shorter flight times.

BTW, my 450 outrunner is for sale if anyone is interested. It has 5 flights on it. Make me an offer.

Chris
Old 02-14-2006, 10:56 PM
marks90004

You guys are definitely right about the 450. My LHS told me that it would rocket out of a hover, but I didn't experience that when I gunned the throttle from a hover. Although it does pull out of a hover, it doesn't power out hard like some might think.

You guys are also right about the 450 lasting for only 5 to 6 minutes. I'm definitely annoyed about that. It takes me an hour to charge up for a 5 minute flight with my 1100mah 3Cell Lipo. I'm debating whether or not to buy a higher capacity lipo, but that would mean more weight.

Either way, I'm pretty impressed with how easy the UltimateFX hovers. Just curious, do any you hover gas airplanes? I have a Funtana 90 that I'm dying to hover, but I want to make sure I'm ready for the transition. Would you think hovering a 90 size 3D plane would be just as easy? Thanks everyone

################################################## ###################

Hey Chris,

I know you opted to buy a 400 outrunner to extend the flight time, but what do you think about a higher capacity lipo instead?

Old 02-15-2006, 05:35 PM
cje0114

I was running TP 1320 mah 3 cell packs and only getting about 7-8 minutes. I'm getting at least 13-14 min. flights with the 400, and that's all 3D flying. I feel that anything over the 1320's will be too much weight.

On a side note, It seems that the area where the esc and battery goes dosen't get very good airflow. I am going to open up a few air holes in the bottom of the cowl to see if I can get more flow. If I can, that should add a little time too.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.