Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Balance point?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 09:29 AM
maaaarius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balance point?

Hi, I got a Lierider 3D plane of some kind and have absolutely no idea if I should balance the model or not.
Shouldn't all planes be balanced? How do I balance? I don't know the balance point since the video manual doesn't mention it.
Hmm... On the video I can see where they place the equipment and so on, but I don't know if that video show a 30 or 55 gram battery ++.
Doesn't that make a huge difference on these models?

Ok, to be honest. I'm totally lost. Please help me out before I crash my plane. I don't feel like testing it before the balance point is correct, but I'm getting desperate.

Any help would be highly appreciated.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:37 AM
flyerboy7800

Default RE: Balance point?

The balance point on planes is usually 25% of the wing cord. Or so i have been told. Im not 100% on that but....you can try it.
Measure the wing, take that measurement and multiply it buy .2 That should be your balance point. I think that is just a rule of thumb and nothing concrete. But it seems to me with all the plane i have that the balance point is recomemened to be somewhere within that range. then take the battery, radio eqiupment etc. and move it back or forward to adjust balance. If that is not enough then add coins or sticky weights where needed. To check the balance point on the plane mark the balance point an lift it up and let it rest on your index finger. If it falls nose first then its nose heavey and so on.....
Old 01-19-2006, 09:06 PM
hobbydude214
My Feedback: (13)

fly it if it dosent fly the way you want it to then land it and make changes accordingly (cg whats that?) 3ders dont need no stinkin cg (yes i know they do but the only auctual time i have cged a FOAM plane was when i already took it up and flew it and it wasnt quite right
Old 01-19-2006, 11:18 PM
jooNorway

Vel vel marius...
The LieRider is a Norwegian construction and produced in Norway. Hard to find other than Norwegians who have experience with this bird. On our forum ( modellflynytt.no ) it is reviewed: http://www.modellflynytt.no/articles...leId=97&page=1
But this review were released before the manual was done. Luckily I have my own LieRider here and the CG-range is marked on my bird: 70 - 90 mm from the leading edge, measured on the upper wing at the fuselage side.
The LieRider is a delicious bird to fly! Crisp response on all the rudders, you can fly knife-edge for 10 minutes without hesitation even if you are not too skilled due to nearly no coupling. Among all the depron-birds I have flown the LieRider is the best, no doubt!
Old 01-20-2006, 09:24 AM
maaaarius

It seems like 25-30% is more or less 70-90mm from the leading edge of the upper wing. So, my plane should now be more or less balanced
Thanks a lot for helping me out. Now we just have to wait for warmer and calmer weather

Nice to see there are other Lierider pilots out there
Thanks again.