Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Mini Katana Mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 10:49 AM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Katana Mods

This is a series of 4 posts so please don't reply until done.

First I have to give my overall impression of the Mini Katana ARF which is WOW! I believe this is a Gen 2 kit. The light strong construction is amazing. The wing was impressive with the capped ribs and the CF tube support, and the use of CF in the fusalage was truly innovative. I was moving the stuff from my Mini Funtana into it so the setup is:

AXI 2808/24
TP 2100 Gen II
HS 55's
Electron 6
Jeti Controller
AUW (with mods) 27.6 oz
CG 88mm from leading edge

Ok, what to change. After reading a couple long threads at RC Groups and looking over the kit, I knew I wanted to make some mods:

1) While the CF Landing gear in the Gen 2 was strong enough it provided little give, so I bought the aluminum gear from 3Dhobbyshop.com. This adds almost an ounce, but it is a nice gear.

2) Increase the size of the rudder and add a tail wheel.

3) Put in a magnetic latch and a spot for the aileron wires to run.

4) Deal with mounting the AXI 2808/24, the cage mount did not look strong enough. It has balsa tops and I knew length was going to be a problem.

Before I start these mods, let me make some comments on overall confusing things in the build.

A) The cowl is designed to just touch the front of the hatch it does not overlap it like on the Mini Funtana. It says this in the directions, but I struggled with this for a while before getting a clue. Trying to overlap it is difficult, and involves redoing the front of the hatch.

B) Be sure and inspect and reglue any spots that might not have gotten enough, or got loose during shipment. It is just a good idea to take some thick CA and go over the joints on the front firewall and landing gear. (My kit arrived in really good shape, so I don't want to give the impression there was a problem)

C) The battery location is confusing. After reading all the posts I was conviced the battery was going to be mounted above the spar so I would need to make a platform for it. But, as it turns out to get the right CG (88MM) I had to put a portion of the battery through the front firewall into the cage. See picture.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lo39467.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	419913  
Old 03-04-2006, 10:58 AM
lwatson

Default RE: Mini Katana Mods

Next lets talk about rudder mods.

1) I added a little to the top the rudder and back of the rudder using 1/8 inch balsa, that is a little thinner than the actual rudder but it ended up looking OK, I have heard on Gen 3 they are going to enlarge the rudder.

2) Added a tail wheel. I used a Eflight 3D control horn as a support piece, worked well.

3) Beveled the edges on the hinge edges on the rudder and elevator. Without doing this you need to leave a 1/8 gap to get good throws, I didn't like that. My gaps are more like 1/32".

Here are the pictures:

Name:	Fd93382.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	419916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32654.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	419917  
Old 03-04-2006, 10:59 AM
Ryguy
My Feedback: (1)

The cowl overlaps the piece of balsa on the front of the fuselage, but that's it.

The motor cage is plenty strong. You mount the motor behind the firewall, not in front of it. I made the same mistake. I did add a piece of ply along the bottom though, and it had no give and survived heavy snap rolls.

The battery should slide into the cage for the right CG too.

Check out the huge thread on it over on rcgroups
Old 03-04-2006, 11:07 AM
lwatson

Next was a spot to run the aileron wire through and a magnetic latch. I think they should fix this, the current screw latch mounting and putting a raw hole through covering kind of sucks.

I also incorporated a spot to put my receiver, because the HS-55 servos are in the tail and a 6" extention will not reach to the location they suggest.

Pictures:

Name:	Us54279.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	419921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19436.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	419922  
Old 03-04-2006, 11:18 AM
lwatson

Next was the motor mounting. In the mini-Funtana I built my own, and while some have had luck with a reinforced cage mount. I just really liked this approach.

1) I got the AXI aluminum stick mount from espritmodel.com. The mount needs to be adjusted a little in that there is a O ring that needs a little more space to turn on the back of the AXI2808 so you need to make room for it. Also the back needs countersinking for the screws.

2) The mount fits a 10MM stick, so you have to add some 1/32" ply shims to get a 3/8" birch rod to work. (The model comes with a balsa stick mount, I did not even consider it)

3) Then you can cut the standard mount to support the stick mount. I just think the result is really clean. It gives all the right thrust lines and its length is adjustable.

Name:	Db86423.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	419932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57452.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	419933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56451.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	419934  
Old 03-04-2006, 11:51 AM
lwatson

I madiened the Mini Katana today. Wind was a little choppy so I only got 2 flights. Greased in two dead stick landings, so I am pretty happy so far. Have not had a chance to mix in anything yet, so I am interested in others experience. It mentions some suggested mixes in the instructions but it was pretty cryptic. Advise?

Old 03-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Ryguy

I fly mine with spoileron and flaperon, but that's it.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:44 PM
novabill

lwatson,

I don't know why the Katana Mini has not taken off on RCU like it has on RCG, but maybe we can get this thread going here. I have had a few Katana Minis (a couple pre-production prototypes and a gen 1) These are awesome little planes that fly very similar to a GS plane. Make sure you have the plane ballanced laterally and that your thrust angles are set to where the plane tracks straight on vertical lines. I think alot of people skip these two steps and end up with an inconsistent flying plane. We also mix in flaperons but don't use it much.

We'll be testing the new PA CF gearboxes in the next week or two and anyone going to SEFF this year is welcome to demo one of the planes.

I'll post pics of the GB and install here If you don't mind me jumping in on your thread.

www.copperheadaviation.com
www.badboyv2.com
www.katanamini.com

Old 03-04-2006, 06:59 PM
lwatson

Feel free to take the thread, and thanks for the tip on the lateral balance, mine was off by .2oz.

Larry
Old 03-12-2006, 06:54 PM
Dave Kovensky
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Guys,

I hope that you don't mind my adding to this thread, but I would like to show some photos of my structural improvement to the Katana Mini fuselage and also what I had to do to get the C.G. right on my model.

First and second pictures show a 1/16 x 1/2 sheet balsa strip I added to the fuelage diagonal truss adjacent to the wing trailing edge area. The original truss has the grain going parallel to the thrust line and is subject to splitting if you are a little heavy-handed when installing the hatch on the fuselage. Adding the balsa strip provides strength to this area at a negligible weight increase.

Third and fourth pictures show the placement of my receiver, ESC and LiPol battery. I had to move these components as far forward as I could to get the C.G. to 3 1/2 inches aft of the leading edge at the wing root. My plane has a Hacker A30 outrunner motor, a Hacker X-30 ESC, a HiTec Electron 6 receiver and HS-55 servos, and a 3 cell 950 mah battery pack. Considering that the model is an ARF and required only assembly with no building, I was at a loss as to why I had to locate these components so far forward. Would welcome any ideas or comments on this.

Dave Kovensky

Name:	Pn36981.jpg
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	424984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74228.jpg
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	424985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46660.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	424986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45168.jpg
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	424987  
Old 03-12-2006, 07:21 PM
Ryguy

You can't be serious that you're using a 950 mAh pack. You need at least 2000mAh if you want good flight time and a battery capable of handling the amp loads.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:06 PM
Dave Kovensky
My Feedback: (3)

Hi RyGuy,

Thanks for the info on using a 2000 mAh battery. Apparantly my C.G. problem was due to the weight of the 950 mAh battery I planned on using. Incidentally, I was serious about using this battery as my past experience has only been with flying a hopped-up GWS Slow Stick equipped with ailerons, a brushless motor and the 950 mAh Lipol battery. It was fine for that application and in my ignorance, I thought it would be O.K. for the Katana Mini! Oh well.....live and learn! Next stop will be the local hobby shop to buy a 3 cell 2000 mAh Lipol battery. Also, what diameter/pitch/brand prop would you recommend for my set up?

Dave Kovensky
Old 03-13-2006, 03:31 PM
lwatson

If that is the Hacker A30-16M you should try a 12X6E prop a, 11X7E prop, and a 11X5.5E prop. You can try a 12X6 SF, but that is going to really suck a lot of amps, and lower your flight time. It is best to measure the amps.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Ryguy

If it's the more commonly used 28s, start with a 11x4.7 SF. A 11x5E also works well.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:37 PM
wingswest
My Feedback: (6)

I just got my katana mini from a person on RCU and they didnt supply me a prop. It is a Eflite 480 1020Kv and I am not sure what size prop i should use. Can anyone suggest one? Thanks, Cameron
Old 03-17-2006, 02:43 PM
lwatson

Start with the APC E 11X5.5. But you are going to want a selection of props to try, some of it depends on the type of flying you like to do. Screaming fast passes or slow power for 3D. Get a selection, you will be suprised how different the plane flys with different props.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:42 PM
wingswest
My Feedback: (6)

I went by my LHS today and got a 11x8, hopefully i can fly it tomorrow if i finish it up
Old 03-26-2006, 10:31 PM
XH2OMANN

Hey guys I am new to this thread. I am thinking of getting a Mini Katina. ( Now flying Hopped up Stryker)
Is Atlanta Hobbies the only one that sells the mini Katina? Also what is the best motor esc, and lipo set up in your opinion?Any help is greatly appreceated. Thanks
Old 03-27-2006, 12:48 AM
ChrisK7
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I just dorked mine in the ground today and broke the fuse in about 400 pieces. Anyone know where or if a guy can get just a new fuse, canopy, hatch, and cowl?
Or I may just buy the Fliton Edge or Extra, I thought I heard somewhere that they fly a bit better. Has anyone heard this or know this?
Thanks.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:25 AM
PlaneCrazzy
My Feedback: (27)

One good thing about crashing. You can buy a new plane. I have a MIni Katana. I just bought one of these Babies. Check it out !!
http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=6017
Old 03-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Ryguy

Atlanta Hobby sells replacement fuses, cowls, everything for the KM.

3dhobbyshop.com also sells KMs, at the same price as Atlanta but with their aluminum LG and free shipping I believe too.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:36 AM
novabill

OK guys,

Shaun from Precision Aerobatics just sent us some trick little gearboxes for the Katana Mini. I attached a few pics. We are assembling three for the SEFF show and you'll see some great vids of the Aerofun boys flying them soon.

I'll post more pics as soon as we dig deeper into the builds.

www.katanamini.com
www.badboyv2.com

Name:	Ec89491.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	435161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55852.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	435162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48979.jpg
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	435163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45475.jpg
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	435164  
Old 03-29-2006, 08:57 PM
Maine_Flyer

just got my katana mini a few days ago (red) .. as soon as I deck in my funtana bad enough I'll swap the gear out.. maybe it's time to get a bit more daring with the MF.. she's getting old anyways..[>:]

rock on!
Old 03-30-2006, 06:22 AM
XH2OMANN

Main

I see we have similar taste in Airplanes. I have been flying strykers for about a year an a half now. And quickly upgraded to a 450 turbo can. Just yesterday I finally joined the Dark side with a new build. TP 2100 and Mega 16-15-4 and 45 amp esc. Wow what a ride. I have been eyballing the Mina Katana for a couple of month now. I am thinking it will be my next plane. I have been flying 3-D on the flight sim. Let me know what you think of the Katana. Take care

JIM
Old 04-04-2006, 08:31 AM
Maine_Flyer

Jim,

I love my mini funtana and the katana is suppose to be a better flyer so I'm hoping it will be awesome..

I fly a dymond setup right now in the funtana

*dymond MAXI 09
*10x4.7 APC
11x3.8 APC (more torque/thrust, less speed)
*dymond 25amp esc
*22 amps WOT (about the same with either prop)
*3s 2200 lipo and it actually carries my 4400 well for real windy days(flies a bit nose-heavy with the 4400 but that's what I want for the wind)
*hs55 all around
*hitec 055 micro RX (quite nice RX very light, very good range, no glitches to date)
*aluminium landing gear (drilled out for weight savings)
*2" wheels (works awesome on short grass fields)

will launch out of your hand straight up with this setup .. ESC and motor was $69 ..
http://www.rc-dymond.com/order_motor_brushless.htm

should fly the KM nicely as well..

still waiting to wreck the funtana![>:][>:]

see yah round

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.