Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

I'm going to try and learn 3D, which plane?

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

I'm going to try and learn 3D, which plane?

Old 03-11-2006, 04:35 PM
flyingace451

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm going to try and learn 3D, which plane?

Should I go with the Great Planes U-Can-Do 3D EP with an Eflite 370 brushless and 6.6:1 gearbox, or should I go with the Eflite Tribute?

I want something that is very durable, I don't have the time to go through plane after plane after plane. And I mainly just want to learn how to hover and some other basics.

If you rec the Tribute, what motor goes good with it, and servos?
Old 03-11-2006, 05:08 PM
novabill

Default RE: I'm going to try and learn 3D, which plane?

This is what you need.

http://www.copperheadaviation.com/co...?idCategory=25
Old 03-11-2006, 05:10 PM
3DSAVAGE

the u can do is good, but it can have in flight flex(i think) also, a flat foam ain't the easiest way to start but you can do that if u want but i would recomend the rcx planes for the durabilaty.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:24 PM
BRYAN01601
My Feedback: (48)

ORIGINAL: novabill

This is what you need.

Slightly Biased Opinon
Old 03-11-2006, 05:36 PM
Ryguy
My Feedback: (1)

But they are really good planes nonetheless.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:46 PM
flyingace451

a little carbon fiber here and there should fix the flex

Remember! I'm not going to be doing some crazy 3D stuff, just some simple stuff. The most complicated stuff will probably be a Blender or learning to hover
Old 03-11-2006, 07:28 PM
rmgmag

Depending on the size range you want, check out either the Allure or the Illusion from www.rcxplanes.com. The only thing the Tribute does well is hover and that's about it. The U-can-do is pretty flexible, and that will have a negative affect on it's performance, but it's fairly durable. For a depron plane, the rcxplanes are very durable. I just crashed their Sierra (prototype) biplane, had the wrong model selected on my transmitter, and didn't have the transmitter's antenna extended (dumb mistakes). Even though I lost control of it at more than 1/2 throttle, the only thing that broke was a landing gear leg which took about 5 minutes to fix. The rest of the plane was fine, and it hit the ground really hard. They make durable planes and they fly great too.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:35 PM
flyingace451

The only thing the Tribute does well is hover and that's about it.
That statement may be the statement that will change my whole idea on what I want. At first, I was leaning towards the U-Can-Do but now I'm thinking about the tribute because the main thing I want to learn is to hover.

With wanting to learn to hover in mind, which plane would you recomend now? I don't want any advanced stuff...mainly hovering and rolls.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:55 PM
Shawnlh
My Feedback: (-1)

Do yourself a HUGE favor and get a sim, either Aerofly Pro Deluxe, or Reflex XTR. Learn on the sim first, then get a plane in the air.

You can thank me later.[sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 03-13-2006, 08:54 AM
novabill

ORIGINAL: Shawnlh

Do yourself a HUGE favor and get a sim, either Aerofly Pro Deluxe, or Reflex XTR. Learn on the sim first, then get a plane in the air.

You can thank me later.[sm=biggrin.gif]
This is good advise....
Old 03-13-2006, 09:00 AM
novabill

ORIGINAL: BRYAN01601

ORIGINAL: novabill

This is what you need.

Slightly Biased Opinon
Yes, of course.... I just had to add the stiffy link when he mentioned durability. There are many GREAT planes out there (no punn intended) and one thing to remember is that when learning to hover, typically you are low to the ground and damage is minimal when you dumb thumb the sticks.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:32 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Flyingace, I learned a lot on the sim. I have G3 and love it. If you ever want help learning something, go into multiplayer and ask. Many people will be glad to help. There are even some top pilots who frequently come on. You can even watch their stick movements.

Also, from what I've seen the stiffy is a great plane.

50%
Old 03-13-2006, 10:52 AM
rmgmag

ORIGINAL: flyingace451

The only thing the Tribute does well is hover and that's about it.
That statement may be the statement that will change my whole idea on what I want. At first, I was leaning towards the U-Can-Do but now I'm thinking about the tribute because the main thing I want to learn is to hover.

With wanting to learn to hover in mind, which plane would you recomend now? I don't want any advanced stuff...mainly hovering and rolls.
I'm about to ask a dumb question, why do you only want to learn how to hover? Wouldn't you want a plane that hovers well and does anything else you'd like to learn how to do?

Anyway, my recommendation hasn't changed, either the Allure, or Illusion, or maybe the rcxplanes Extra. Give Bud a call at www.rcxplanes.com and pick his brain. He'll point you in the right direction, even if it's not with one of his planes.

A sim is a good idea. It'll get your thumbs used to moving in the right directions, it'll help you learn to hover, but it's not the magic bullet. You'll still need plenty of stick time on a real plane.

Bob

Old 03-13-2006, 11:14 AM
50%plane

A sim is a good idea. It'll get your thumbs used to moving in the right directions, it'll help you learn to hover, but it's not the magic bullet. You'll still need plenty of stick time on a real plane.
not with G3. Sorry, I don't meant to be pushing G3, but G3 is harder to fly than other sims, therefore, you learn how to do it better. It does more than help you learn stick movements. It teaches you how to correct mistakes and anything else so that you are a better pilot and can pull off a maneuver well first time in real life.
Back to foamies, The GP flatouts are pretty good. I've heard great things about the reflection, had(and loved) the Turmoil, and will have my RCU Bipe soon.

50%
Old 03-13-2006, 02:50 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

The tribute is a good flyer and the most wobbley flopping tail end I have ever had. Also very fragile. So far the best and toughest flyers I have had are www.rcx planes.com Tribute and Extra 330L. They are stiff, tough and wonderfull flyers. They are almost exclusively what I have been flying for the past 9 months while the rest sit on the ceiling gathering dust. They helped my learning curve to about streight up where the 40-60 UCD, extras, Cap X and related gassers just left me frustrated. RCX planes are so sure of their product, you get a money back guarantee, yet to be used. Also compaire prices against the "Stiffies" where I think you are being stiffed! ENJOY
Old 03-13-2006, 02:58 PM
novabill

ORIGINAL: rmenke

Also compaire prices against the "Stiffies" where I think you are being stiffed! ENJOY

OUCH

Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. We encourage the free flow of your ideas, but believe that they can be communicated (and received) much more effectively if you keep things civil. If you have to vent, take it offline. We carefully monitor posts and will ban individuals who engage in offensive conduct within the forums. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:03 PM
aerofundan

for anyone wanting to see the copperhead stiffy flying, here is a post with my video of it

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4028773/tm.htm
Old 03-13-2006, 03:23 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

If you want something a little lighter and also durable look at www.airfoilz.com Yak 54. They are one of the only foamies that I know of that have wood beams in the fuse and wing spar for strength. Plus one of the lightest planes out there today at 15-17 oz on 40" wingspan. A lighter plane will surely be helpful when your just learning to fly for sure.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:16 PM
flyingace451

hm...ok my mind has been constantly changing on me. CONSTANTLY!!!

Ok, here we go. I want a plane that is durable (i'm going to crash...maybe) and can do the basic 3D stuff without trouble and TEACHES the 3D stuff well. A 3D "trainer" basically.

And again, I want to learn to hover as the first little maneuver so that I can take the plane into a gym and avoid the walls that way...and I've always been fascinated by hovering but I don't think I have the skill or money to give helis a try. And the Blender...lol I like that too.

OK, give me a foamy that is easy to build (like what a newbie at ARFs can build) and can use the Eflite 370 brushless motor with or without the gearbox and uses it well. Cause I'm mainly going to be ordering from Hobbyzone.com...I think....my mind will change on me I'm sure of it.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:05 AM
50%plane

hm...ok my mind has been constantly changing on me. CONSTANTLY!!!

Ok, here we go. I want a plane that is durable (i'm going to crash...maybe) and can do the basic 3D stuff without trouble and TEACHES the 3D stuff well. A 3D "trainer" basically.

And again, I want to learn to hover as the first little maneuver so that I can take the plane into a gym and avoid the walls that way...and I've always been fascinated by hovering but I don't think I have the skill or money to give helis a try. And the Blender...lol I like that too.

OK, give me a foamy that is easy to build (like what a newbie at ARFs can build) and can use the Eflite 370 brushless motor with or without the gearbox and uses it well. Cause I'm mainly going to be ordering from Hobbyzone.com...I think....my mind will change on me I'm sure of it.
hehe Get a GP Turmoil with a rimfire motor, or get a shockie.

50%
Old 03-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Daniel Z

yes, I agree, buy yourself a shoky and a Wesport 25T motor (18gm)+ etecs 450 2s (24gm) + 10x4.7SF prop from M.A.E., this setup rocks, I have not seen anything lighter, and your shocky will be arround 5,5 oz, easy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15580.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	426154  
Old 03-15-2006, 05:42 PM
flyingace451

Well...my mind has changed on me again. I'm leaning towards that Illusion combo deal they have. Since 3 people have recommended the rcx planes, I just may give them a try to teach a newbie 3D. RCGroups has a decent review on the Illusion.

What Rx would go good with the Illusion? The rcgroups review used HS-55 servos...and considering I have 2 sitting around right now, I may go with those also. ...now...for a lipo. Does that motor need a 7.4 volt or 11.1 volt lipo? I'm a newb to lipos too.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

I wish there was a perfect 3D trainer...

I don't have a CA Stiffy, but it really looks to be resilient... but it's a little heavy for learning indoors.

The AirfiolZ I DO have is really nice. Somewhat resilient, but only if you keep it low and bail the throttle when thigs go wrong. (The lame video on their site is mine and shows how I get the plane real low, then bail out a few times and the the plane just fall form a foot or less.

I have has a ball with little shockfliers in the past. If you go real light they are great for indoors but not worth a hoot for outdoors.

I really liked my Turmoil and now like the RCU Bipe... hovers really well and agin, if kept low, can minimize breakage.

I reviewed the UCanDo and while it's a decent flyer, it's not a good 3D trainer and not as resilent as one might expect. I tore mine every other drop.

So you really need to ask yourself... do you fell lucky... uh... not..not that... ask yourself were you will fly this plane the MOST. When do you have the MOST time to fly?

Will it be outdoors, most likely because this is the easiest access to you. This will preclude a 5 oz shockie if you live anywhere that has a sky. They rock the house, but are MUCH better for indoors or when the wind is nearly dead calm.

Larger shocktype planes are better for outdoors and either of the flatouts I can recommend... BUT they aren't any fun to build... many of the flatplates are no fun and you end up with with CA all over your fingers, spots all over the plane... well I do anyway... I just don't have fun building them... once they are done? He he... lots of fun and quick fixing.

Lots of free plans out there for making your own if you are into that.

Hobby Lobby has those $20 Yak 55's that would be just fine for learning to hover.. .buy 2 and build them both up and ready. That way when one finally crashes enough that it's not repairable then you caa swap airframes pretty quick.

The Stiffy and Airfoilz would be another good choice for outdoor flying, but I'd say these are probably better for when you get a good feel for the hovering and torque rolling. They are nice planes and cost more.

There really isn't a crash proof plane... you're gonna bust 'em up. A hot melt glue gun can fix a flat plate foamy faster than you can blink an eye.

When I first started learnign 3D indoors, I'd make a couple planes, go to the dome and by the end of the night, not have any planes left. I had pounded and glued them so many times there were frankensteins by the end... but you know, the uglier they got, the better they flew (because I was less hesitant to crash them)

If I were in your shoes... I 'd get a couple Yak 54's, or get a Turmoil (leave the winglets off they are gonna end up that way anyway), toss the gear and belly land them.

DO your best to get the plane LOW and if you get messed up instead of goosing throttle to climb, let it fall. (It's this goosing when you don't have control that loops a plane nose first into the ground for a complete loss)

If you have some taller weeds nearby try and hover over them, they can catch and keep a fomay from getting hurt at all. Soybeans when green are another nice "catcher".

And these guys are right.. the CHEAPEST 3D learnign is Aerofly Pro Deluxe... costs LESS than a complete plane, no glue and no hours of building.

Now for a shameless plug... Airfoilz has a fatty wing indoor plane coming... I look forward to that. The way the design they fall together, no messy gluing th efingers and holdign nine pieces togetehr with 2 hands and a toe whilst you apply kicker... They go together fast, simple and is an enjoyable process.

We now return you to your regular scheduled programming.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:51 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

I've not flown their models and I am sure they are nice...

But if you are gonna invest $50 in an all white flatplate or $70 with a graphics package... I would HIGHLY recommend the Airfoilz Yak instead.

They state a RTF weight of 14.5-15.7 oz... The Airfoilz is about the same weight, has a bigger wing that's really airfoiled, a strong, rigid fuse, is a breeze to build, is fairly resilient and will fly better in any wind you might have increasing your window of opportunity.

The nose is designed MUCH stronger... if you look at the nose of the Illusion, you'll see it's just a disk glued into a "T" of depron. Most every design like that I've ever flown breaks the nose off in the first couple crashes.

On the Airfoilz you don't glue in the servos they mount with screws to ply plates, removable gear, interlocking tailgroup that just falls in square... stiff carbon fiber tube pushrods (no need for guide tubes for flimsy pushrods).

Really for me and a buddy of mine, when we saw the design we thought... WOW... these guys fixed most everything we DON'T like about flat foamies.

Anywho... when I saw the price of what you were leaning toward I couldn't help but try and compare what you are getting... Again that's a little pricey for learning on, but if you're gonna do it... I REALLY think you'd enjoy the AirfoilZ more.

You are also up there to get a stiffy too... definitely the most resilent plane I've seen at a cost of weight... but for learning to hover & torque... would be another fine choice...

Well...my mind has changed on me again. I'm leaning towards that Illusion combo deal they have. Since 3 people have recommended the rcx planes, I just may give them a try to teach a newbie 3D. RCGroups has a decent review on the Illusion.

What Rx would go good with the Illusion? The rcgroups review used HS-55 servos...and considering I have 2 sitting around right now, I may go with those also. ...now...for a lipo. Does that motor need a 7.4 volt or 11.1 volt lipo? I'm a newb to lipos too.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:53 PM
flyingace451

Ah poo. I might as well get Aerofly Pro Deluxe for my birthday and just have lots of money left over for whatever plane I want.

Keep sending in ideas...and I will be flying outdoors almost all of the time if that helps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.