Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight E-YAK!!!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Extreme Flight E-YAK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 10:16 PM
dhotamis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight E-YAK!!!

One question for all can E-YAK fly with A20/20L motor and 30ESC + 3STP 2070extreme? And How will it performe?

Thanks

Deniz
Old 05-05-2007, 04:24 PM
01SCSS

Just finished my build. Weighs 35 oz. without battery. Too windy to maiden her this weekend, but I'll report back as soon as I do. Is anybody running the EF cowl baffle and if so could you get away without cutting vents in the bottom? -Cheers
Old 05-06-2007, 07:06 PM
aerolou2

RE; Extreme Flight Yak 54E (47'')
Received our first one a week ago, assembly went well (one evening), Have about 12 flights so far . It is hard to describe how well this model flies, During the first flights we focused in precision aerobatics and found very good behavior then as we began exploring 3-d maneuvers we discovered how fantastic this model is. We obtained Extreme flight 3-S combo and are happy with the performance. The quality of the model is excellent , You can see a lot of thought went into its design. Setup was done following mfg. instructions , Only mods: Different wheels, (we fly of a rough grass strip), Opened 2 cooling outlets in the lower aft fuselage (Battery cooling and to avoid excessive air pressure inside). Every one who has flown the airplane in our club wants to buy one. will have pics up soon.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:54 PM
01SCSS

Here is a picture of the finished bird.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:53 PM
zoott

Can anyone compare this to the qq yak for me?
Old 05-18-2007, 07:10 PM
pfact
My Feedback: (92)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What wheels did you use?

Phil
Old 05-18-2007, 07:49 PM
01SCSS

They are the wheels that came with the kit. 2 inchers I believe.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:28 PM
pfact
My Feedback: (92)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The whels with the kit don't survive long flying from grass. Aerolou2 mentioned using different wheels and I am curious which ones he chose.

Phil

Old 05-19-2007, 05:10 PM
01SCSS

Oh ok, just maidened mine this morning. It went great. I have never had to do such little trimming on a maiden. Couple clicks of down elevator trim and she was dialed. CG might have been a little forward for good 3D but acrobatics were smooth. She's a keeper.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:07 PM
tdoe420

I have been assembling one of the new E-yak54 47.5in W.S and i am stumped on what spinner to buy for anyone have any ideas. A im having trouble getting full down deflection on elevator, i have 45degrees+ on up but not down. If i have tp bend the control rod how should i do it?? One more thing what kind of battery should i run with a torque 2814 820 motor and 45amp ESC. Also have PRO_BEC 5a with cont. 5a peak8a.(8~55v) BEC is made by quark. Obviusw reason for BEC is to run at 6V. D you think this BEC is overkill.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:13 AM
Digs9101

Hi guys, I'm loving my Yak.

Hopefully someone else can give you advice on your elevator. Seems odd, I didn't have any issues with it.

This is the spinner I'm using...
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBMY2&P=7

I've had good luck with the 4S Flight Power Evo 2170.

I'm using a BEC. It doesn't add much weight and gives me piece of mind.

I like these wheels (the large ones)...
http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=2559

Have fun,
Brian
Old 05-21-2007, 12:27 PM
aerolou2

Hello Guys: I would like to update our progress with the Extreme Flight 47'' Yak. We currently have 24 flights on our plane with EF 3S combo, As we mentioned before we changed our wheels to Hangar 9 2'' wheels , We are however still looking for a lighter set , FYI we fly out of a rough strip. We recomend a drop of 30 min. epoxy in the junction of the pushrod to the servo arm retainer (we filed a flat as the instructions sugested but still had them move during the first flights , after the epoxy no more issues. We are currently optimizing airflow thru the cowling to help manage the temp. of our electronics. Our Flying involves a lot of 3-d so we feel this will increase the longevity of our components(Will post pics soon).Our opinion is that this is the best line of electrics in this class ,By far! We will be glad to share info on these models our e- mail is aerodynamic213@ aol .com
Lou Verdiales
Old 05-23-2007, 12:13 AM
catfish2
My Feedback: (43)

My experiences with this plane:

I have also have one of these planes from the first shipment flying on the 3S EF combo. The craft has been abused to the max but still flys like a champ. If you fly off grass go ahead and replace the wheels from the get go. Like others one of mine shattered on one of the early flights. Bigger wheels are also desireable to improve ground handling in the grass, I often end up on my lid after landing or nose over trying to get back to the pits. The stock LG gear will bend quite easily during less than perfect landings. I didn't like this at first but I have straightened the gear in just a few minutes numerous times and have yet to damage the fuse, so I have a about decided this is a good thing. I am using a alum MPI spinner

I nearly completely trashed mine after an unexplained faliure of some type, rebuilt one wing, fuse front, CA'd cowling back to shape, patched canopy etc all using mostly the original pieces found at the crash site. Be carefull if you need to use a iron on the covering, it appears to be chinacoat variety and will melt/shrink to nothing in a heartbeat. I know the darn thing can't be true and square, but it still flies just as good as new. I will get a replacement from EF when I finally "use up" this one.

I have limited electric experience, but after several attempts with other wood electrics, this one has the best flight envelope to date. Like others have said, it hard to say enough about how good these planes fly. I was originally looking for a low cost option to my gassers to pratice and experiment with, I have found what I was looking for in this plane.

I chose the 3S option both to keep cost down and use the batteries I had in stock and can see little need for the 4s setup on this plane. I normally take off after a short roll out and point it straight up until I get tired of watching it go up. I normally land after about a 7-8 minutes and put back roughly 16-1800 ma in a 2100 pack. The battery has always been warm to touch after flight.

Cheers
Old 05-23-2007, 06:16 PM
01SCSS

Can someone please weigh their unpainted canopy. I just tinted mine black and it seems quite a bit heavier than it did previously. I used 2 coats of pactra tint, now it weighs 2.8 oz. Thanks in advance. -Zach

Old 05-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Mine's 2.7 oz... so yeah... you REALLY loaded it down... tee hee

.1 oz sounds about right for a little paint...
Old 05-23-2007, 07:32 PM
01SCSS

Guess I was being a little paranoid. Thanks alot.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:24 PM
rceflier1968
Banned

I love flying this plane, the only mod I made was to get the 1 3/4" foam wheels from Great Planes. Only complaint I have is that the gear is SOFT>>>even greaser landings on the paved runway seem to deform the gear struts. A bouncer really bends them up. Anyone found a good aftermarket alternative?

01SCSS....that canopy looks great. I likethat better than the open window look......where's you get the Pactra tint?
Old 05-28-2007, 11:03 PM
01SCSS

I got my tint at the LHS, RC Country here in Sacramento. Here is a video of my maiden landing. http://rcuvideos.com/item/NQGB2HH8VZG5DR0C
Old 05-29-2007, 08:16 AM
fmidgett

Well I traveled with Pilot Bob and Pilot Matt to Greenville NC this weekend for an all E fly-in. Took the EF 47" and 74" Yaks plus others. 40 minutes into the two hour drive I realized I had left the wings of my 74" Yak at home. Ahhhhhhh! So I turned around to get them making the two hour drive a three and a half hour drive. After that first glitch though everything went smooth. Many HPP thanks to the NC Space Cowboys for a great day. Nice field with a long strip surrounded by corn fields. About 20 pilots so we got plenty of air time.

All day I kept looking at that corn and by mid afternoon I just had to do a little corn dancing. First with the 47" Extreme Flight Yak. Then with the 74". There is just something about watching that tail disappear down in the green. So two vids. Part one of the 47" Yak. Part two on the 74". Enjoy.

http://higherplaneproductions.com

Fly row. Roll tape.

Fred
Old 09-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got my extreme flight yak into the air today..
as everyone has said ....this is a great little plane...
it flys very nice and has tons of power on the 3s 2070 TP pack

mine is there complete airboss combo... couldn't be happier with it

just thought I'd share that

Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22467.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	754537  
Old 10-13-2007, 01:01 AM
algaston

Guys, the EFyak is the wildest 3D plane in my fleet. I love it! I'm running the high power setup (4s 2170 evo packs) I had a problem with the canopy flying off during flat spins and the esc was running hot. I cut the covering in the bottom of the fuse way back by the tail, on both sides of the center spar, and added an extra magnet to the canopy.It is running great! I also upgraded the wheels one size bigger ( and took off the spats).I'm going to fly tomorrow, I'll let you know what happens.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:53 PM
service_dude

Here are the wheels I'm using.

[link=http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=6929]2" MPI CNC machined aluminum wheels[/link]

They are just slightly larger than the stock wheels, but they do have 2.5" if you want to go larger. Real nice rubber on them.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:01 PM
AcC0braman

Hi,

I have one of these in the box, just checked it over and seem to have a slightly warped Aileron? Its not much, but do you think it will cause major issues?? Its basically warped in the centre at the edge.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:12 PM
palazzi

After few years, I am planning to come back to RC Airplanes. After looking here and there, I came to the conclusion that EF Yak – E should be the best option. This would be my first electric plane.

I was about to purchase the High Altitude/Power Hungry 4S Combo offered by Extreme Flight. This combo includes:

Torque 2818/820 brushless motor
Airboss 45 Sensorless ESC
4 X HiTec HS-65 servos
3 servo extensions
APC 12x6E prop
Dimension Engineering Park BEC
FlightPower 2170 4S1P Lithium Polymer Battery
Deans Connectors

However, after reading all your comments, I am not sure whether it would be better to get the Complete 3S Combo, which includes:

APC 14x7E prop
FlightPower 2170 3S1P LiPo Battery

My intention is to practice IMAC and do some 3D. Money is still not an issue.

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Luis
Old 12-03-2007, 06:01 PM
jrwilliams27

I have the 3s1p Flightpower 2170 lipos with a 13x6.5 prop and this plane flies great! I am going to try a 14x7 the next flight, but i have 40+ flights on the 13x6.5 and it flies phenomenal! Vertical is unlimited and 3D is excellent. I have been getting about 5-7 minutes flying mixed imac and 3d. I am interested to see what it will do with the 14x7 though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.