Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Landing in grass with lightweight 3d planes

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Landing in grass with lightweight 3d planes

Old 05-09-2006, 10:17 AM
MikeRuth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Landing in grass with lightweight 3d planes

What is your choice on protecting your fuse bottom when landing in grass? Nose and tail.

Are you leaving the landing gear on and just coming into a abrut stop? Tape? Plastic reenforcement?

Now I realized for thoses of you who can pluck the plane right out of the sky this dosen't matter, but I'm not that good yet.

Old 05-09-2006, 07:24 PM
flyingace451

Default RE: Landing in grass with lightweight 3d planes

I'm not that good to pluck it from a hover either. What I do is line the bottom with some packing tape and it does fine (if you are using a flat profile plane that is). Keep the throttle on and come in with the nose pretty high up. Kind of like a harrier that is descending and is at about a 25-30 degree angle instead of a 45 degree angle. Just before the tail touches down turn the throttle off and the rest of the plane will just plop down and because the motor is off (hopefully) than the prop will just move out of the way when it hits. Every motor off touchdown I make the prop is horizontal to the ground.

By the way, the plane I use this method with has no landing gear. But I'm sure it could work kind of the same way. Maybe you'd want the gear to touch before the tail though...
Old 05-09-2006, 09:39 PM
MikeRuth

Thanks for the suggestion, I haven't decided if I want to mount the gear or not. Leaning towards not, since allmost all my flying will be on or over grass.

Mike
Old 05-10-2006, 09:07 AM
Edgeomatic
My Feedback: (2)

If you are flying a foamy, I just put a strip of carbonfiber from the tip of the nose about half way back. If it is a wood plane you might try the same other wise just do the same as flyingace says to. The landing gear could be bad. For one it is weight. For two it can make the plane fly completely different.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:52 AM
stockdaddy

If the plane will harrier it will make landings easier. Also landing in tall grass helps considering you have a light plane.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:11 AM
WhtBronco

I fly off pavement at home and short grass, 1"-2", at the flying field. All my planes have landing gear and 1.5" wheels. My Eflite Ultimate has no trouble taking off from the grass at my flying field and lands just fine on it as well. In fact I even do touch goes with it, sometimes only the tail touches, oops did I say that.

Planes don't last as long without gear from my experience. My Eflite Ultimate has over 41 hours of flight time on it and it's in decent shape.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:54 AM
Ryguy
My Feedback: (1)

Just catch it from a hover!!!!
Old 06-21-2006, 09:09 AM
WhtBronco

First off that is dangerous IMO, even the props on these little electric motors hurt when they hit you. Second 90% of my flying is done with my kids who are 5 and 8 years old and both fly. I don't want to set a very poor example in front of them. I can only imagine my 8 year old getting her hand in a prop.

Another issue is the weather. Most of my flying is done in 10-20 mph winds, it's always windy at my house. Keeping a steady hover in that wind with a 12oz foamy is very difficult.

I know a lot of folks catch, snatch, them from a hover and never have any problems. I won't be 1 of them. Just my 2 cents, not trying to stir up the pot.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:39 AM
3DSAVAGE

just wear a paint ball mask, some cardboard across the front of your body, and some gloves for the first few tims you try catching it. I'm goin to do that with my flatana. also try flying it strait and level with just the elevator and aileron sticks cut the throttle and let it glide into your hand. Trust me, it's not that hard, unless the wind is bad then it is........
Old 06-22-2006, 03:03 AM
netdudeuk

ORIGINAL: Ryguy

The 2005 Official AMA National Model Aircraft Safety Code states "9) Under no circumstances may a pilot or other person touch a powered model in flight." I wonder if QQ and the other guys have read this
Old 06-24-2006, 05:39 PM
WhtBronco

It can be done. I could do it. I'm not going to do it though. It could be dangerous and certainly would set a bad example for my kids.

I have caught my gliders for many, many years.