Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Set Ups for 3D Buddies

Old 05-20-2006, 12:27 PM
push rodz
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Set Ups for 3D Buddies

Okay........so maybe this has been hashed out before although I don't find any threads where this is discussed in great depth. Here's what I'm working on -

I just purchased a 3D Buddy Edge 540.......been wanting a Buddy since they came out like forever ago but was too cheap to lay out the bucks on a disposable plane......... So, what I'm looking for is some power suggestions for this bird. I did not order the complete combo from Ultra RC as I have my own gear that I want to try. So check this out and let me know which set up is maybe going to work.

Plan 1:
Himax 2015-4166 with a TP 1320 mAh 3-cell and a CC 25 amp ESC. I would like to try the 12x6 SF prop with this set up first and then work in to another prop size if needed.
This is probably the lightest set up that I currently have (for this size plane) and am hoping it will provide the power needed for this bird (for obvious reasons).......

Plan 2:
Himax 2025-4266 with a TP 1800 mAh 3-cell and the same ESC as above. Will try the same prop as well.
This is acutally a good power set up however the increased weight is definitely an issue 'cause it then becomes a freekin' anchor. But the bright side is that the Buddy may be able to handle this kind of power/weight - that's what I don't know yet.

Other Available Motors:
Himax 2812-0850
BP21

I'm currently looking at the Max Amps 1000 mAh 3-cell which is a 15C/20C rated battery as alternative power for the Himax 2025 motor. Yeah.....it's a bit small in the mAh department but the weight is 2.7 oz. When you jump up to the 1500 mAh battery the capacity is 12C/20C but the weight jumps up to 4.6 oz. another freekin anchor!

The Gold Rate "Dualsky" batteries are all 20C/30C rated and is really my primary choice (over the Max Amps batteries). The 1000 mAh 3-cell weighs 3.1 oz. ; the 1200 mAh 3-cell weighs 3.9 oz. ; and the 1500 mAh 3 -cell weighs 4.7 oz.

So.....with the information that I've listed - please let me hear from you who have "been there and done that" so I can mount the right gear the first time. All input is appreciated.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:25 PM
push rodz

Default RE: Set Ups for 3D Buddies

Is there no one flying one of these? I would have thought everyone had at least one in their hangar..............
Old 05-27-2006, 08:13 AM
push rodz

Okay.......I got it in a couple of days ago. And I was really surprised to see everything bubble wrapped inside the box. The last thing I read about the packaging was that it came wrapped in a foam sheeting. Obviously URC changed this somewhere along the line due to allot of shipping damages. Oh well.....doesn't matter 'cause everything was in "one piece" without any damage. But I gotta admit that for a $70 ARF, this plane really looks great! The color scheme is very cool and virtually wrinkle free.

There was a bit of a warp in the fuse though. I'm still undecided if it was just not built straight or if this is due to it sitting in a box for who knows how long since it was built and in differing temp changes. The reason I'm wondering about it being built straight is because I don't see any T-pin holes ANYWHERE on ANYTHING where it was laid out on a building surface. Usually, you can see at least one or two pin holes in the wood somewhere after ya build it. And I couldn't get all of the warp out of it either. I laid it down flat on both sides and massaged it with an iron using glass building blocks as weights. I also used my heat gun, which incidently, the covering will not take concentrated heat for very long - it's not like MonoKote or Ultra Cote. So - after burning a hole in one place I was very leary using the heat gun or using it very long to help get out the warp. So - mine has this ever so slight warp - or actually a "twist" at the aft end. But being a profile, it shouldn't affect it to bad when flying and I'll most likely not have any problem because of it.

I'm pretty impressed with the building technique on the fuse. It's quite unique (in the RC world) and from a structural view point it is a good idea. The outside perimeter of the top and bottom forms a T-beam instead of the usual square stock pieces. It saves about 1/16" of wood top and bottom which results in a lighter structure and the T shape is structurally sound. Actually, if you consider the T at the top and the T at the bottom, then as a whole you have an I shape which short of a hollow round pipe or square pipe shape is ideal because it will handle some pretty heavy forces. And when you add in the interlocking diagonal bracing - it just doesn't get any better than this because it's structurally sound in the vertical and horizontal planes and is very light.

Now here's the kicker: after I assembled the plane and without any gear installed, the plane weight is 6.25 ounces. Normally, once the plane only weight is determined I can add in about 10 oz. with my Himax 2015 motor set up and 12 oz. if I intend to use my Himax 2025 motor set up and this gives me a good ball park AUW estimate. This has been observed after building tons of planes. So, I'm sitting here wondering - WHO EVER SAID THIS PLANE WOULD HAVE AN ALL UP FLYING WEIGHT OF 11 - 12 OUNCES IS FULL OF CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But even still, I proceed to install the gear. I decided to first try the Himax 2015 motor set up primarily because of its lighter weight. So everything is installed and I pull out my digital scale with eager anticipation of "being wrong" about my AUW estimate previously predicted. Well shucks and wazoo - 16.25 ounces - right on the money! Was I ever dissapointed......[&o]. Not to be outdone, I asked myself - okay - which prop am I gonna mount up front? So......I pull out my 12x6 SF prop thinking - for this wieght I need all the airflow I can get. Yes - it gives me the pull I think I'll need but it is probably pulling tons of amps.........so I change to a 11x4.7 which gives me a little less thrust but with less amps. I really need to get a watt meter! So - the maided will be flown with the 11x4.7 first and if I don't get the result I want I'll slap the 12x6 on this puppy. And if that fails, I'll mount the Himax 2025 on it and then be forced to upgrade to a 20C batt. But geeeeeeeeezus - that'll put the AUW at about 18 or so ounces!!!!!

Oh well! I'm an optimus by nature so I know that with the 305 sq. inches of wing area (although I haven't actually checked this calculation) that with the first set up @ 16.25 ounces that the wing loading is still not shabby at 7.7 oz./sq. ft. and by going to a heavier set up the loading goes up to about 8.6 oz./sq. ft. So all is not lost! But then, I haven't had a chance to put this plane in the air yet either and you can do all the math in the world but until you fly the darn thing - ya just never know!

So part of me is happy that I got a fairly "cheap" ARF that is well constructed and it sure is "purty". Even the wife says it is a good lookin' little plane! It (like most profiles) was very easy to assemble without any real issues. I didn't use the instructions so I can't really comment on how well or how poor they are but there are allot of pictures! The laser cut control horns worked out really well and were designed by someone that actually knew what they were doing. Comment: I've seen a ton of so called laser cut control horns that I've asked myself - what freekin' idiot had this brain fart? !!!

The down side - and keep in mind that I haven't had the chance to put this plane in the air - is that I'm very disgruntled that the advertised AUW is so far off that it's not even funny. This is in part why I quit buying ARF's a long time ago - because it's like the proverbial "life is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get" - and I hate surprises. I understand that the manufacturers are in the business of selling BUT all I ask is that if they advertise things to be a certain way then it should be THAT way. This experience has only reinforced my skepticism about the honesty of ALL advertised specs that I read about the many different planes on the market. It's been my experience that what they say and what you get are typically two different animals.

To sum up my overall impressions of the 3D Buddy Edge - so far I'm fairly well pleased but the jury is still out until I get to fly it. Once I have a chance to fly this plane, I will definitely post my 2 going on 3 cents!
Old 05-27-2006, 04:38 PM
My Feedback: (1)

push, I have the edge also, my setup is as follows. Himax 2812-850, 10-4.7 apc e- prop, 20-amp e-flight esc, TP 900 batt. I also use a Hacker A20-20L, with apc 11-4.7. I like the hacker setup the best, but I stripped the prop adaptor. Any way, hope this helps.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:40 AM
push rodz

Thanks for your response on this bird. I've heard that the Hacker motor is a good one. I've considered getting one several times and just may yet. The Himax 2812 is one of my favorites but I'm doubtful if it will handle 3Din with anything over 12 ounces. I have it on a home brew foamy that weighs 11.7 oz. and it does fine however the pullout in verticle is not ballistic by any means. It runs pretty sweet even still. Try a 11x3 or 4 on yours and you'll notice a difference. It will handle it and does not heat things up but I run a TP 1320 3-cell with mine which will handle a little more than the 900.

What kind of AUW do you have with your Edge without the battery? Mine is 12.25 oz. without the battery. This is about where it's suppose to be ready to fly according to the advertised weight specs. I'm using all Hitec HS-55's, CC Phoenix 25, GWS 4 channel RX and substituted the stock rods with 1.5mm carbon fiber rods on all surfaces. I did this primarily because the stock rods looked a little too large to fit through the hole in a EZ pushrod connector and didn't want to go with a larger, heavier push rod connector.

Again - thanks for your input. I'm just curious to know what kind of weight that other people have had with their 3D Buddy planes 'cause mine didn't come in close to what they say it's supposed to. I have the motor to pull this kind of weight and it's not really a big deal - it's just the principle of the whole thing.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:00 AM
push rodz

Maidened the Edge Buddy yesterday.......the winds were not "ideal" for a maiden flight - 15 plus MPH but I couldn't stand it much longer! Went down to the city park and tossed her in to the wind - a few clicks of right aileron trim was all it took to get things right. Although I'm used to flying these small electrics it took me a couple of batts to get used to the way she handled and I finally stopped on the third battery because the wind was getting pretty bad.

As stated before, I had the Himax 2015-4166 mounted with a 11x3.8 APC SF prop and it was "okay". It pulled the plane around but there was just not very much authority there. So after the first battery, I changed to a Eflite 12x6 SF which made a huge difference in pull out. I was a bit concerned that this prop would get things heated up a bit so I brought her down after about 5 minutes and checked the motor and battery out. Just barely warm! So I'll contiue to fly with this set up for a while. The real test will come when the winds finally settle down enough so I can try a bit more with the bird.

On the very first "belly" landing, the motor stick bit it. I really doubted that the light balsa mount would hold up very long but was hoping it would last longer than this. So, I loaded up & came home and cut the original one out and replaced it with a 3/8" sq. hardwood mount. It didn't take long, was an easy fix and I then headed back to the park to give it another go. So far it has held up without any more problems. I really like the color scheme on the Buddy Edge but orientation is really hard to keep up with. As a matter of fact, I was coming in for a landing about the time the wind kicked up and tossed the plane up to the point that I couldn't tell top from bottom. I smacked it down on the road and thought it was toast but nothing was broken. I was definitely impressed with the integrity of the design at that point!

I can already tell that the weight is really going to affect the performance of 3Din with this plane. It will not be as "agile" as I had hoped and as you see in the videos on the web. That sux because the supposed low weight and agility was the primary reason I finally bought this plane. No - I'm not near the pilot that these guys are but was hoping that the 3D Buddy was going to be "the one" that would allow me to get a little lower and slower and closer in. I'll just have to play with it a little longer before I make any final judgments in regards to this.

All in all - except for the weight issue - I'm pleased with the plane as it is quite fun and can handle some pretty extreme winds.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:52 PM

Hey Pushrods, glad you got to fly your Buddy! I just weighed mine, 13.4oz, with TP 900, and the Himax. I use 4 bluebird 306 servos, and GWS 6-channel rx. I wonder if yours is from a newer shipment than mine, and may be built heavier? I recently bought the
Cap 232 version, and it was at least 1.5 oz. heaveier than the edge. I t didnt fly nearly as well either. I'm thinking maybe they are beefing up the fuselage because they tend to break fairly easily if you catch a wing tip. I'm on my 2nd fuse, and have re-inforced it with carbon strips taped to the top, from the canopy to the vert. stab, and on bottom nearly the entire length.
On the Cap, I used the Hacker 20-20L, and even at 15+ oz. there was tons of power, I'm sure it would power your edge fine. I dont know about the Himax tho.
I really like the way my edge flys. Its like a good foamy, but even more so, if you know what I mean. I hovers pretty well, Harriers upright and inverted are excellent, flat spins are incredible. I'm learning rolling circles with it now.
The only complaint is that it tip stalls easily if you are off the power but with some throttle it'll start flying again.
well, that's all I got for you, so have fun!
Old 05-31-2006, 07:06 PM
push rodz

Thanks again for your input. Sounds as if you're pretty well set with your Buddy. The weight of yours is about where it should be (I would think) just wished mine was in the same range. Oh well.......I'm gonna fly the crap out of it anyways! I'll most likely install my Himax 2025 on it at some point just for grins as it should provide insane power for it.

I can't complain about the fuse as it holds up waaay better than I would have thought. It is pretty durable........well, so far. I know this plane is destined to be a condensed pile of sticks and covering......if you catch my drift.......

Again - thanks!
Old 06-06-2006, 09:02 PM
toyman94

Hey guys, thought I'd add my experience to the mix. I have had my Edge Buddy for over a year and I like it but the fuselage finally gave up. I definitely didn't crash it ever, the thing just got more flimsy over time so I just kept adding carbon fiber where needed. The weight kept getting more and more, performance worse and worse.
Anyway, I made a fuse from the pink insulation foam you buy at Home Depot. I was worried it would be heavier but I was wrong. Compared to the fuse with the carbon fiber added to it, the weight was less. I know one thing, it is defintely stiffer. The plane would couple in tight loops before, now the loops are crisp and it holds it's direction better. I plan on weighing it tommorow at my work cuz I have no scale so I will let ya know more if ya like. It is solid right now, I may cut some foam away in diferent places and taper the top and bottom some to remove weight. I have to get my camera back from my sister, then I will take some photos. Also important to note, I removed one aileron servo and move to a single central one, I mounted the tail servos just behind the wing with shorter push rods that I plan on switching to carbon fiber ones. I just had to move the battery further forward. I really think this thing has never flown so good and I plan on improving it. I may even buy just a replacement wing for a buddy and build another cuz I really like the strength of this wing with the symetrical airfoil. Also I am using the included himax brushless motor and prop. I am gonna start experimenting with diferent props. If you guys like I will keep ya informed.

Later,
Keith Schmitt
Old 06-07-2006, 08:45 AM
push rodz

Keith,

Great minds think alike! I've been doing the very same thing - integrating a built up wing with foam. I use the Blue Cor foam ('cause that's what I keep on hand) on the fuse and the aft surfaces and it works great and helps to keep the (work) weight down. I love to build but hate covering so this just leaves the wing to build and cover - which is a piece of cake.

The last one I built worked out really well and I plan on building another with a few mods. The same thought has crossed my mind in regards to just buying the Buddy Edge wing replacement and making the rest out of foam. I can probably make the wing cheaper but for $35 bucks - it's worth it just to not have to build and cover it. One thing I am really impressed with about the Buddy wing is the way that they have hinged it. That's pretty freekin' cool!

I really like my Buddy Edge even though the weight is a bit annoying and in one sense I feel "violated" if you catch my drift. It flies really well but I know it would fly better if it were lighter. Mine is right on the border line between working okay with my current set up and really needing to go up to the Himax 2025 motor for better thrust to weight. But then by doing so - the weight only increases as well. So - I'm kind of "stuck" between a rock and a hard place. Since weight is the real issue here, I hate piling on more.

So - this gets back to integrating the foam with a built up wing. If I can manage getting the weight down to about 12 ounces (AUW) then I have the Himax 2812 that would be perfect for it. There are other motors out there that would work great with this weight range as well. So the challenge is being able to build it with this target weight. There are several choices of foam available besides the FFF that I'm using and the pink that you're using that may be lighter. Maybe a thinner Depron or even the EPP foam.

Keep us informed with what you come up with on yours.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:50 AM
toyman94

Well, I weighed mine and it is 14.4 oz which is way too much. I'm gonna work on that this week and get picks. Till next time...LATER
Old 08-22-2006, 08:02 PM
Kamikazi
My Feedback: (4)

Flown my Buddy CAP 232 a few times now. I to was disappointed with the weight, but considering these are basically the same planes as the Extreme Flight YAK 55SP-E, I wasn't surprised because that plane is advertised as being 14-16oz RTF.
The tail definitely needs some CF stiffening. If you grab the plane by the wing and shake it sideways, you can see the fuse flapping like a piece of rubber. The CAP has a lower wing placement than the other Buddys which makes mounting the battery under the wing almost impossible. I found that with a 1000mah Lipo (2.7oz) , it balanced at 3.5 inches with the battery stuck right behind the motor.
The manual calls for the CG range of 3.5 to 4 inches, but I can't imagine flying with the CG back any further than 3.5 inches. It feels quite twitchy there and has a sharp stall break (a surprise on my first landing). I think a 3 inch CG would tame it down a bit and make it fly better in some ways. I'd need a heavier battery to do that however, but I'm not about to do that since my AUW is already a hair over 15oz.
I got the combo power system - cheezy looking motor, but I must admit, it has plenty of power with the included 10x4.7 prop. You wouldn't want to fly it at full throttle for more than a few seconds cause it feels like it has about 2:1 thrust/weight.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:06 AM
push rodz

I epoxied my wing & horizontal stab in to avoid what you're talking about. The loose mounting is rather cheezy if you ask me and acutally one of the mounts broke off when I tested it for soundness. Wasn't very sound as it turns out. But they make a great "stop" when mounting the wing and horizontal stab in place.

I had to play with the CG on mine as well to find where it handles best for my style of flying. But that is pretty typical on any plane. Battery placement was not ever an issue but then again my wing is a little higher up than the Cap's.

All in all, I like my Buddy even though I will not get over the BS advertisement of the AUW on these planes. I have a problem with FALSE ADVERTISEMENT - so shoot me!!!!! This seems to be an "accepted" aspect of this hobby that should not be accepted. You'll notice that none of the distributors for this plane have chimmed in to defend the weight issue.............'cause they know that we know they are full of crap.

I don't mean to rant here, but I'm still PO'd over this.

Enjoy your bird!
Old 08-30-2006, 06:37 PM
suitcase

I had first the extreme flight yak and when it finally was destroyed I saved the running gear and put it in a 3D buddy extra. The workmanship on it was not as good as the yak. It came out of the box with a crooked fuse and the horizontal stab was waaaay off. I flew it a long time though and just lived with the poor flight characteristics. I saved the motor and gearbox and esc and order the extra 300 from Hobby Lobby. It's the best with out a doubt. The tail feather servos mount in the rear fuse and no need for the little guides that drive you nuts. The fuse was straight and true and the stab was right with the wing first try. I glued it all up because I don't plan on putting it back in the stupid box anyway. I put a Phoenix 25 esc and E-Flite 400 outrunner. I'm using a futaba 127 RX that I removed the box and shrinkwrapped for receiver. I don't know what it weighs, don't really care, it hovers at half throttle with a 10X4.7 prop and TP 1320 3S. The Hobby Lobby plane is the best hands down.http://www.hobby-lobby.com/extra330.htm
Old 09-05-2006, 02:34 AM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

I maidened my EF Yak today and am not impressed. I had severly warped ailerons. I tried to straighten them but it was not to be. I flew it anyway. Hovers at half stick and has good power. I came straight home and built new ailerons for it and that should solve some of my trim issues. Stab is off just a little, and will be straightened as well. I am not so impressed with the quality of this ARF. The landing gear was completely useless. I didn't bother with it at all. Hand launch, and gentle belly landings. Might grow to like it. Set-up is:
Hacker A20-20L
Eflite Pro 25 ESC
TP 3S 1320
APC 10x4.7SF

I wish I had gone with the Extra from Hobby Lobby. It looks like a better quality airframe.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:20 PM
suitcase

ORIGINAL: Aeronaut

I maidened my EF Yak today and am not impressed. I had severly warped ailerons. I tried to straighten them but it was not to be. I flew it anyway. Hovers at half stick and has good power. I came straight home and built new ailerons for it and that should solve some of my trim issues. Stab is off just a little, and will be straightened as well. I am not so impressed with the quality of this ARF. The landing gear was completely useless. I didn't bother with it at all. Hand launch, and gentle belly landings. Might grow to like it. Set-up is:
Hacker A20-20L
Eflite Pro 25 ESC
TP 3S 1320
APC 10x4.7SF

I wish I had gone with the Extra from Hobby Lobby. It looks like a better quality airframe.
You will grow to love it if you get it to fly straight and level. The buddy I had was the worst looking airframe I've ever seen. Everyone laughed when I showed it to them but were still amazed at how well the stupid thing flew. I was pleasantly surprised when the hobby lobby plane arrived. It's much stiffer and does wag back and forth nearly as much as the others. It still could use some stiffening in my opinion though. To update mine, I dumb thumbed it near the ground and broke it behind the "canopy", and one little spot where the toop of the canopy meets the fuse. I bought some 1/16ply and scabbed on one side and recoverd it. It's much stiffer now. I just took apin and punched some small holes in the cover at the other break and wicked in some thin CA. I also ordered a Hitec 0S5 RX. It's about the size of a penny. I replaced the HS55 rudder servo with a HS 65 so it should be stronger. I might fly the beast today.