Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

PA mini Katana vs ExtremeFlight Extra

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!
View Poll Results: A poll
PA Mini Katana
57.41%
ExtremeFlight Extra
42.59%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

PA mini Katana vs ExtremeFlight Extra

Old 06-27-2006, 10:11 PM
MalaysianFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PA mini Katana vs ExtremeFlight Extra

Guys, would really appreciate your input on which plane you would prefer between the two, in terms of price(value for money, not the cheapest), flying characteristics and strength.

I have seen both and am leaning toward the Katana, but would like to hear from all of you before I decide. Please feel free to give other input in your post as well, the more info I can get, the better.

links are

http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...spx?prodID=940

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/produ...l/45EExtra.htm

Thanks guys, looking forward to all your advice/opinions

Old 06-28-2006, 09:11 AM
MalaysianFlyer

Default RE: PA mini Katana vs ExtremeFlight Extra

Lots of votes, and no comments??
Old 06-28-2006, 09:43 AM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

Those planes are in two different classes. Both are 3d capable aerobatic planes, but one has a 45 inch wingspan and an empty weight around 18oz, the other is a 40 inch wingspan with a 13oz empty weight. 5 inch extra wingspan and 5oz heavier airframe bumps it up, not quite a parkflyer anymore (though i would gladly fly one in large parks)

I would compare the pa katana mini to a eflite mini funtana, a mini edge or mini extra by fliton, there are so many others in that size range... The extreme flight rc is in a class all it's own, there are few planes in that size range that are designed to be electric from the ground up.

Though i have had neither, i would probably lean towards the extreme flight extra myself, because of it's large size. I spoke with extreme flight rc officials and that's where i got the 18oz airframe weight figures, this means it is possible to end up with an auw well below the advertized 30-33oz when using high efficiency motors and high energy density batteries. Both these planes get great reviews though and you will likely be satisfied with any of those two.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:24 AM
Ryguy
My Feedback: (1)

I have the Katana, and absolutely love it. There is nothing it can't do. However, I've heard the same thing about the Extra. So, what I think it comes down to, is how much money you want to spend. The Extra is bigger, heavier, and therefore requires a bigger power system than the Katana. What you might consider doing is sending Scott Stoops an e-mail or PM. I don't think he's on RCU but he is on RCG as Sukhoi26 or something like that. He's flown and reviewed both the KM, Extra, and BME Yak for Fly RC, so he could give you the best run down on which he likes best.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:37 AM
ramrod
My Feedback: (43)

Hello, I have flown both and we have the EF Extra and totally love it ! They are both great / FUN flying planes and will do about any manuver you can do, etc..... I personally like the EF Extra a bit better as it does fly like a much larger plane and presents real well also. Both are real fine planes - I'd go with the Extra.
Have FUN !! Rod
Old 06-28-2006, 04:59 PM
aflipz

ryguy mentionned another very interesting entry in between the ef extra and the pa katana; the BME yak in terms of size and weight it's right in between the katana and the extra, (to add to your dilema) and it looks extremely realistic, much like the extra. Any 3 of those would be excellent, but as ryguy also mentionned the auw of each must be taken into consideration to select an appropriate power system, if you allready have your power system you might want to choose accordingly.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:28 PM
MalaysianFlyer

Guys thank you very much, lots of good info in your post.

I basically wanted to compare the two as these two seem to be the best available for flying on a 3S setup, which matches the batteries I have. And now with the BME yak thrown in, I will be having more sleepless nights!!!! [X(]

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your input
Old 06-28-2006, 08:31 PM
aflipz

ORIGINAL: MalaysianFlyer

Guys thank you very much, lots of good info in your post.

I basically wanted to compare the two as these two seem to be the best available for flying on a 3S setup, which matches the batteries I have. And now with the BME yak thrown in, I will be having more sleepless nights!!!! [X(]

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your input
You probably allready know this but the mah and c ratings of your packs are just as important as the number of cells. Let us know if there's anything you are uncertain about.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Ryguy
My Feedback: (1)

The BME Yak is actually smaller than the Katana by .15" span and about 50 squares, and 4" in length (well, 5.5 in cause I've enlarged the rudder on my KM), but is an ounce heavier empty.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:57 PM
aflipz

oops, well thanks for the correction.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:24 AM
radio rookie

I have a Katana and I love it. This is one of the best airplane I have ever owned to date.

What I have discovered is that the Katana Mini is only limited by the pilot's ability.

It's good enough to justify owning two.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:04 PM
benmartin

hey MalaysianFlyer,

mate i bought the katana mini a few months ago and enjoyed flying it a lot. good 3d and pretty tough considering how light it is (except the stock undercarriage - lasted about 10 flights!) never really got to grips with flying it anything like precisely though! moved the c of g around, changed control throws and exponential and fiddled with mixes and just accepted it in the end. i'm (very) far from being the world's best pilot though and i've seen the videos by the aerofunrc boys doing amazing stuff with them. it was still fun though!

so i bought myself the EF extra a few weeks ago (with the EF power system) and maidened it on the weekend. now i don't work for extreme flight or anything like that, i'm just a regular weekend schmuck flyer, but the extra is amazing! so nicely built and it flies so precisely and yet still flips and hangs in all the 3d manuevres that i can do. for me it just flies completely differently to the katana mini. feels much (like much!!) bigger. i still rate the katana highly (and big ups to precision aerobatics from my hometown sydney, i really fancy their big edge 540) but for me its EF extra all the way! i do have hitec hs65s on my extra and hs55s on my katana. not sure how much difference that has made to the flying. if it has its all good!

sorry boys i've rambled on a bit here and you'll enjoy them both MalaysianFlyer, but for me its an easy choice!

good luck mate,

ben
Old 06-30-2006, 02:31 AM
MalaysianFlyer

Thanks for all the info guys, I have decided to go witht he mini katana for now, as I like the facts it is built much stronger than the extra. Plus I already have a motor for it, so it will be easier on my poor wallet.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:28 PM
MalaysianFlyer

Just to add to my earlier post about the strength of the katana, a friend flying one of these did a snap at full throttle, it was soo violent that the motor came off and broke the shaft. damage to the plane: nothing, managed to land it in one piece, apart from the cowl being damaged when the otor decided to go through it. Another one nosed in from about 10feet up and only had minor damage to the firewall. Then this video came along and i feel in love

http://mediamax.streamload.com/stric.../TheRedOne.wmv
Old 07-06-2006, 08:39 PM
cojim14

I've never flown the Extra but would like to compare it to the Katana Mini. Just last night I flew my Katana Mini for the first time and although I wasn't really impressed, I know what has to be changed to make it even better. I had the low rates too high and it was too squirrely, if you know what I mean. And the CG was near the aft of the recomended range which didn't help. aflipz is right, the Extra is a really big electric. You would be spending more money on that because it's bigger. Whichever one you choose I think you'll be really happy with.