Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Funtana X 50 Electric Conversion

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Funtana X 50 Electric Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Mike Parsons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Funtana X 50 Electric Conversion

I just finished the review on this plane. Flys amazing on a Eflite Power 60, Castle 80a esc, and a 6S3P (4400mah).
Old 09-27-2006, 05:10 PM
javiergarzab

Great news Mike. Everybody is waiting for the first review on this plane with electric power.
Where can we read it? Please post the link.

Javier
Old 09-27-2006, 05:56 PM
Mike Parsons

The review is for RCU. I submitted it last week, so it should be up before too long. I have a short teaser clip of me messing around with it. Nothing impressive, but it will give an example of the power tavailable. Ill post in just a bit.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Mike Parsons

http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....6674d09081940f
Old 09-27-2006, 06:30 PM
javiergarzab

Great can't wait to read it. The video is nice. Have quite a few questions, but will wait until the review is posted. Meanwhile, I'll change the landing gear on mine to one from fiberlite.

Javier
Old 09-28-2006, 02:21 AM
3DownLow
My Feedback: (4)

Nice video! I put mine in the video section too. Someone help me with the link(duh!) Bear with me as I threw this together real quick. Buzzing noize is from cowl chin scoop. Needs a carbon strip on it.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:37 AM
javiergarzab

EDF, your video is at: http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....c6433c3e2ee63b

Javier
Old 09-28-2006, 07:09 AM
Mike Parsons

Nice flying EDF!!
Old 09-28-2006, 07:16 AM
3DownLow

Thanks Mike! And Javier for the link.Blake is 18, I shudder to think how good he'll be in a few years. He's just about got a 35% Extra 260(DA100 engine) ready to maiden. I can't wait to see what he does to that bird! He's also got the new EF Yak 74" coming too(not fair). I'll try and shoot some more X50 vid soon.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:27 AM
Mike Parsons

I was over at Chris's (owner of Extremeflight) Tuesday and fondled the 74". It is a beauty.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:58 AM
3DownLow

I've got my name on one of the 47" yellow and black Yaks! Hope we see those on the front porch soon. Saw the 74" e-version flying-WOW!!! Need to cash in couple of stocks for that one!
Old 09-30-2006, 02:46 PM
javiergarzab

Just came back from flying. I had four 7 minutes flights. The plane is great. I tried some alpha moves and played with the plane on high rates. Everything was going great, when on my fourth landing of the day I approached a bit harder than usual (Just a bit) and when the plane touched the ground my landing gear fell off. The wood wasn't broken. I had EDF words in my mind instantly: "Beefed up landing gear area with plywood and 5oz. kevlar weave. Rock solid now. Don't want to watch the wheel pants fold back and puncture my wing on a hard landing". I left the wheelpants on my house, but definitely should have followed EDF advice. The original LG mounting system is waiting for failure. The glue just gave up.

The plane suffered no other damage but a scratch on its bottom, as it slided trough the runway for 10 feet.

Javier
Old 10-04-2006, 11:54 AM
3DownLow

Lucky boy! Sounds like an easy fix. I wish I could buy one plane that had substantial enough landing gear/LG area that I could do harrier landings with, and not even think twice about bouncing in a little hard! I don't like adding extra weight either, but if it means I don't make retracts out of fixed gear then I'm willing to take the penalty. Hope you get it back in the air soon. It's a fun plane, too bad it has the same Achilles heel as most other planes. []
Regards,
Jason
Old 10-06-2006, 12:45 AM
oldpops

By buddy got me started in RC last Christmas and I am looking at the Funtana 50x for my 7th plane. (Obsessed) I have been flying foamies for the last 6 months and the old saying “bigger is better†is getting the best of me. I am using the DX6 for my foamies and park flyers. Is this transmitter OK for Funtana 50x? EDF mentioned it in an earlier post, and if so where would you mount the receiver with such short antennas. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Pops.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:31 AM
Mike Parsons

pops,
While I recommend a good dual conversion RX for anything above a parkflyer, I know of people running the DX6 in 40 size planes with great success. There is a great saying that "the RX should always be the last to arrive at the scene of a crash" I try and live by this and mount my RX's behind the last component in the hatch. There is plenty of room in the Funtana to mount the DX6 RX. Just remember to keep the antenna's at a 90 degree angle to each other. You shouldnt have to do this with the amount of room in this plane, but if necessary, you can drill a small hole and let one of the antenna's exit out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40365.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	536022  
Old 10-06-2006, 11:35 PM
oldpops

Thanks Mike, The DX6 has worked flawless for me, although with the all the warnings out there I still feel a little discomfort with such an investment relying on those short antennas. We laugh when we crash our foamies because it's only 2 sheets of depron and we are back hovering. Stepping up to the Funtana or the Pulse XT will rejuvenate the pucker factor I experienced when I first started flying. I first considered the Pulse but after looking at the size of the control surfaces I have zeroed in on the Funtana. My thought is that I can setup my radio at low rates in the beginning an graduate to real 3D if it is still in one piece. What is your thought on these two planes for a newby to .40-.60 size ef. Sorry if this off subject for this thread. pops.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:15 AM
Air3D540

I just picked up my Funtana X 50 today. Great looking plane! I have to say that this thread has really helped me out in picking out the powerplant and other necessities for the plane. I do have a question about the battery packs though. I decided to go with 2 3cell 2100mah TP packs. Do I need 2 brand new packs? I already have 1 3cell 2100 TP pack with about 10 flights on it, so would it hurt to run that slightly used pack with a brand new one?
Thanks guys!
Old 10-10-2006, 12:33 PM
3DownLow

Started off with a JR 6012/R700 Rx and had a few minor glitches. Started flying at another field where there's not a lot of frequency management, so I tried the DX-6 out on the Funtana X50 and its worked flawlessly. Don't like the gimbals on the DX-6 as much compared to the 6102, but for the glitch and frequency protection, I'll use the less cabable system. Someone's supposed to have a "Spektrumized" module and Rx that can be used with existing radios soon. I'll get a 8103 then and put the module in. 2.4Ghz rocks!
ORIGINAL: oldpops

By buddy got me started in RC last Christmas and I am looking at the Funtana 50x for my 7th plane. (Obsessed) I have been flying foamies for the last 6 months and the old saying “bigger is better†is getting the best of me. I am using the DX6 for my foamies and park flyers. Is this transmitter OK for Funtana 50x? EDF mentioned it in an earlier post, and if so where would you mount the receiver with such short antennas. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Pops.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Mike Parsons

EDF,
There have been a couple of people that have spektrumized their 6102's. They said it provides every bit of functionality of the 6102, yet the convienence and realiability of specktum. Of course it means they loose the PCM functionality of the 6102.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:53 PM
javiergarzab

This weekend my friend and I decided to "trim" our planes for acrobatics, so that them would achieve a "neutral flight" attitude.

For some strange reason both of our planes were using much more batteries than on the previous weekend. I almost lost the plane due to a deadstick landing because of batteries at 3 minutes 50 seconds of flight. Luckily for me, I was on the last leg of my landing approach, so I fell 7 feet after the end of a gorge and 10 feet before the runway. It was close. I damaged my propeller. Nothing that couldn't be solved right there at the field.

My friend, who uses 2 4200 Mah batteries on his plane was having the same problem. After his first flight, barely 7:30 minutes, he landed and put his batteries to charge. They had used 4100 mah! We decided to shorten our flights, so I was flying 3:00 minutes flights (Too short). At once when I was working on my plane I stopped listening to my friends plane. It had fallen to the gorge. [X(] Recovering it from there took us over 2 hours. Total loss. I'm attaching pictures. I'm including pictures of the plane, and the place where it fell off. If you can spot the tiny white spot, it's the Funtana.

Lesson 1: It weren't the batteries what failed. He was flying KE too low when trimming, and had a dumb thumb moment right over the gorge... That's why you should alway be three mistakes high.

Lesson 2: Gorges suck planes... the wind changes a lot inside and near them.

Javier

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75336.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	538563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73881.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	538564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87069.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	538565  
Old 10-16-2006, 10:14 PM
3DownLow

Mike: Saw a few 6102's that were "Spektrumized" on posts, but I don't get into radio mods too much. I'd like to upgrade anyway, so I'll do that as soon as Extreme Power Systems gets their products online. Thanks for the tips though!

Javier: Sorry about the loss of your friends plane. I hate seeing crash pics. Hope he gets another one soon. I'm getting about 10 mins of moderate 3D flight with some vertical snaps thrown in. I have learned to time all my flights now. Had one deadstick due to bad cell in one of my packs, but luckily was just pulling up when it happened and had some altitude to work with. Might want to check battery temps and see if you aren't overheating them. That usually degrades the flight times. I cut some more covering off the rear vent and that seems to help out with airflow some. Also upgraded hardware to 4-40/ball links and larger servo arms to get even more throw. Now she seems to like the extra throw and responds quicker to control inputs.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:38 AM
StephenT

GUYS,

A guy at our club was flying his 50X and he did a loop and the wing broke. He looked at the wing and found NO SPAR! I told him that I had read the same thing here on RCU.

StephenT
Old 10-19-2006, 11:41 AM
3DownLow

Yup, read the same one and that's the 1st thing I checked. Have about 30+flights on mine and still feels solid. Had the chance to check out spar when a buddy picked it up wrong and crunched the 2 inside ribs and some sheeting. Fixed and recovered after inspection of glue joints. Knock on balsa wood, its still holding up and I'm not being very nice to the airframe. She's still got some nasty blenders and walls in store! Now H9 has done it again and made a Showtime 4D 50! More $$$.....
Old 03-02-2007, 11:16 AM
mshiii

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I just received a FuntanaX 50 and would like to convert it to electric. I have a Castle Crations Phoenix 80 ESC, Thunder Power 5S4P 8000 mAH battery, Hacker A50 16S motor, and 17 X 10E prop. I converted a Sig Four Star Forty and a Sig Something Extra recently. What should I do first, second, third? Please let me know. Thanks!

Mel Harder
[email protected]