Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

I want a 3D plane!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Warning
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want a 3D plane!

Hello Everyone!!

I currently fly glow and I really enjoy it and I want to get a few foam electrics that I can easily hover and do 3D within my back yard (I have a big open yard) I have no idea what specific plane to get or what to get with that plane? I look at magazines and catalog and hear of talk of ESP’s basically things I really have no idea about . . . I have a Jr Xp8103 radio and I already have a good charger (triton) . . .

Now can anyone help me with what plane to get and what type of accessories or equipment?
Old 08-20-2006, 05:34 PM
E-Foamies.com

Default RE: I want a 3D plane!

Check out the EPP Revolution 3D or EPP Extra 300S. The Revolution 3D is super easy to hover. Either would be easy to fly in your back yard. The Revolution is on sale until Monday.

If you go with the Revolution, get a Dualsky XM2830CA-12 Motor, GWS 10x4.7 SF Prop, and Dualsky Xpower 1320 3S battery pack. This setup will give you 37oz of thrust at 18amps for tons of power.

If you go with the Extra 300S, get a MicroDAN 2510-3D, GWS 10x4.7 SF Prop, and Dualsky Xpower 1050 3S battery pack. The MicroDAN 2510-3D will keep the plane light (13oz), and you will still get ~30oz of thrust, for insane power!

The good thing is, they both have full fuses and airfoils, so they look like real planes, and they are made from durable EPP which can really stand up to some serious abuse. They also come as ARFs, so most of the work is already done.

Check them out:

EPP Revolution 3D - http://e-foamies.com/store/catalog/p...products_id=38
EPP Extra 300S - http://e-foamies.com/store/catalog/p...?products_id=2

Tim
e-foamies.com
Old 08-20-2006, 05:37 PM
E-Foamies.com

Also. I think you are talking about ESC's. Electric Speed Controllers. They go between your battery and motor and plug into your receiver instead of a throttle servo. Castle Creations makes some nice ESCs. Check into the Thunderbird 18a for the planes I meantioned above.

http://e-foamies.com/store/catalog/p...products_id=51

For servos, the Blue Bird 6g servos are really nice with their ball bearings, and super light too.

http://e-foamies.com/store/catalog/p...products_id=58

Hope this helps.

Tim
e-foamies.com
Old 08-20-2006, 06:20 PM
rmgmag

Ah, you've got a steep learning curve, but you'll get there quickly. I went through the same thing when I switched over from nitro to electrics.

You'll need to decide on a size range first and then choose your equipment for that range. Something in the 14-16 oz range will require a motor like a Hacker A20-20L and a 20 amp esc like the Hacker X-20. There are also similar AXI motors and other esc's that will work. For that size range I'd recommend the www.rcxplanes.com Illusion. They have a money back guarantee that you'll like their planes. Batteries in this size range are usually Thunder Power 3S 1320 mah. Servos, the Hitec HS-55's are fine in this size range.

For a smaller size range like 8-10 oz you'll need a motor like a Hacker A34-28s or a Custom CDR single stator, or my favorite, the Little Screamer Purple Peril. Then you'll need an esc in the 8-12 amp range like a Cool Running, or one of the smaller Phoenix esc's. For servos you'll probably use Hitec HS-55's or even the HS-50's (expensive, but light). For a plane, you can check out the www.rcxplanes.com Allure. Batteries for the smaller planes are in the 600-700 mah range. The Thunder Power 3S 730 mah are popular.

There are a ton of opinions out there. You'll need to do a lot of research, but find a plane that looks good to you and is in the size range that you're interested in, and give it a try. Since I switched over to foam more than 2 years ago, I've only flown a nitro plane once.

Good Luck!!

Bob
Old 08-21-2006, 02:48 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Depending on the size of your backyard, would determine what you should go with.

If your backyard is small, Id recommend a plane in the 6-7oz range tops.
Ikarus Shockflyers are great planes.
If you have plenty of space, the skys the limit.

First lets assume you are limited on airspace and have a small backyard.
You will want a plane that is around 6-7oz.
Start off with a Ikarus Yak shockflyer.
Get a Axi 2204/54 brushless motor, a Castle Creations Thunderbird 9A Esc, Berg Microstamp 4L rx, 3 Futaba 3110 servos, and a 2cell 620mah lipo. Prop it with a GWS 8x4 prop, and go have fun. This setup is suitable for indoor flying and outdoor in small spaces. Plenty of power for any 3D aerobatics you can throw at it.

If youve got a little more space. Look at the ChargerRC CR2 plane from chargerrc.com
It will come in around 10-14oz, and is durable enough for even the worlds worst pilots. Heavy duty, and spectacular performance.
Here is a vid of me flying the charger. http://media.putfile.com/Indoor-flying-43
Old 08-23-2006, 04:38 PM
flyin_kid

I love my airfoilz edge. It comes in at 17.5 ounces RTF with a castle creations phoenix 25, castle creations Berg 4L receiver, hacker 20 20L, tanic 1180 3 cell lipo, and hitec hs 55 servos. This thing is a blast to fly. I usually fly glow planes and do electrics for the front or backyard also. This 40" foamy does take up a little extra space, but if you have the space... it is awesome! Hands down the best foamy I have flown.

www.airfoilz.com
Old 08-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Roger that on the AirfoilZ...

I just finished an RCU review of it... should be up in the next week or so.

I have 3 Yaks (well 2 now, just gave a kid in my club my beater) and an Edge... Light, wonderful planes that fly like the larger glow/gas stuff...

Flat plate foamies are a real hoot too... But if I had to choose only one... Airfoilz all the way.

They build easy, straight and true.

My buddy got one and simply loves it... he uses it to practive his rolling circles and harrier rollers... they are that precise.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65936.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	512011  
Old 08-24-2006, 04:14 PM
fly pete

How well does Gary Wrights E3D mini fly??

is it a good 3D plane?? anybody own one? or have flown one?

does it slow down like the E3D 40 size?

[&:]
Old 08-28-2006, 10:55 AM
Edgeomatic
My Feedback: (2)

Shockflyer - Axi - awesome
Old 11-27-2006, 10:57 AM
3W flyer

i have a fliton mini edge 540 and it flys really good, am using a hacker A20-20L motor with a X-20 ESC and a thunder power 3-cell 1320 batt, its about 21oz RTF,
Old 11-27-2006, 11:05 AM
bobzilla
My Feedback: (63)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my vote is for Charger RC CR2 or AirfoilZ. (AirfoilZ is tough built, light, airfoil wing, and a blast to fly.)
Old 11-27-2006, 06:11 PM
flyingace451

An AirfoilZ plane will fly very similarly to your gasser planes as it is not lightweight like a Shockflyer but still light enough to toss around in your yard. I would not buy a shockflyer if I were you. Coming from an airfoiled gasser to a flat plane foamy is not a good thing...plus a Shocky can't handle winds more than 5 mph so they are meant for indoors.

Go with an AirfoilZ with a A20 motor and X20 ESC and you'll be a very happy man.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:24 PM
bobzilla
My Feedback: (63)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig7yqBFqLHQ

this should help you evaluate the AirfoilZ.

bobz
Old 11-27-2006, 10:59 PM
flyin_kid

That video looks very familar!!!!
Old 11-28-2006, 07:54 PM
flyingace451

Haha, I get it.

Check out the [link=http://airfoilz.com/]AirfoilZ[/link] website and you will be able to see all of the videos and such.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:12 PM
mikeygp
My Feedback: (6)

AirfoilZ is the way to go. Here are a few of my videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01wWqPMKQrE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0DXH...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DKM0DqskQA
Old 12-23-2006, 05:13 PM
3D-Kid

I would go with the QQ Yak-54 Foamy. A little on the pricy side but to me really has a solid feel that most foamys dont have. If you have the right equipment and your an ok builder this plane will definatly keep you satisfied.