Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Hacker X-7 servo load

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 04:53 PM
FlyFar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hacker X-7 servo load

Hello,

Does anyone have experience with the Hacker X-7 ESC powering 4 servos?

I'm new to electric, and I got the X-7 with an airplane/motor/esc kit. The manufacturer says he prefers two servos for the ailerons, so I followed his recommendation. Now, as I read the specs on the X-7, I see it's BEC load is 2-3 servos. Am I headed for trouble if I use the X-7 to power 4 servos (2 servos for the ailerons)?

Thanks,
Nathan
Old 08-23-2006, 11:07 AM
Gary Hoorn

Default RE: Hacker X-7 servo load

Nathan,
I don't know about that speed control but I can tell you I had my problems running 4 servos on another brand that said 2-3 servos. It would apparently overheat and shut down in the air. The resulting crashes took the joy out of the day. Hacker makes very good equipment and I would stay with their recommendations to be on the safe side.
Gary
Old 08-23-2006, 12:26 PM
FlyFar

Thanks Gary,

So I've got this plane built that uses 4 servos (one for each aileron), and I've got a motor/esc combo that work for the weight of the plane, but the esc can't handle the 4 servos. What to do?

I don't know enough about ESCs yet. If I get an X-20, which can handle 4 servos, but is obviously designed for a bigger motor, will I hurt my motor?

Is the ESC just setting the timing, and then the motor demands current from the ESC? (Similar to how a motor demands current from a battery?) Or is the ESC pushing current at the motor, thereby having the ability to push the motor too hard?

Thank you,
Nathan
Old 08-23-2006, 06:39 PM
Gary Hoorn

Nathan,
The Hacker X20, which is the one I use with my Hacker 20-20L motor will not hurt your motor. I will just have the capability of handling more current than your motor will require. Excess current carrying capacity will not harm your motor and you will have the security of knowing that 4 servos will not overload your speed controls battery eliminator circuit known as a BEC.
Gary
Old 08-23-2006, 08:19 PM
FlyFar

Thanks Gary. That makes sense, but I just wasn't sure until I heard it from someone who knows.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:47 PM
InsaneFoamie
My Feedback: (2)

Buy a small BEC instead of a new speed control. Check this out... http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...00&pid=V888392 And yes you will have a problem with 4 servos.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Gary Hoorn

FlyFar,
While a UBEC can be useful I prefer to invest in an ESC that can be used with larger models in the future. A 1.5 amp UBEC is not a large step up from the ESC you now have. As an example all of the Castle Creations speed controls now have a 3amp BEC. More than enough power for up to 6 servos. Many of the smaller speed controls are conceived with the thought of small Lipos, light weight planes or a limited number of controls. Once you decide to move on to something larger than a foamie you need a more powerful ESC/BEC as you have discovered.
Gary
Old 08-24-2006, 09:46 AM
FlyFar

Good thoughts. I'm learning. Thank you.

I like the idea of a separate BEC, since I'm guessing I'd still have control of the plane even if my ESC failed. But I'm curious how the UBEC and the ESC would interact (cutoff voltages and stuff). And to complicate things a little more, I'll be using the CellPro DPM.

I've definitely been considering a more powerful motor. Since I'll be operating at higher density altitudes (Colorado Springs), I'm guessing the 20-50s won't be as powerful for this plane as other people have described. I think I'll want to get the 20-26M series before too long (if I'm gonna to start learning 3D).

It all costs money. My wife has been very supportive & tolerant....so far. Probably better not buy another motor too soon. Hopefully she won't mind if I get a better ESC.

***Small tangent/background***
When I was first choosing my kit (and learning about electric rc), it looked to me like the plane manufacturer's recommendation (the 20-50S) may not be powerful enough for good 3D. He said the plane would come in at 5-8oz, and Hacker says the 20-50s is for 4-8oz planes. I knew that as a new builder, I would probably come in over-weight. And now that it's built, I think I have. I've probably used too much glue and too much paint. It looks like my plane will come in pretty close to 10oz. And then there's the high-altitude factor. Should have followed my gut.