Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Airfoilz edge 540

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 02:52 PM
cliorc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airfoilz edge 540

Just got my Airfoilz Edge 540 before i start building was wondering if anyone has any tips or anything they found while building that might be helpful.Thanks all Olin
Old 08-28-2006, 07:02 PM
jerusha

Default RE: Airfoilz edge 540

i have never built one but am thinking about getting one so please keep us informed
Old 08-28-2006, 07:59 PM
Spiccoli

It should build as easy as their Yak, I've built two of those. The build is fairly easy. Just pay attention to weight and don't use too much glue. Make sure the wing spar is kept straight as you glue it. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:05 PM
mflander

Please keep us updated, I am looking into purchasing this plane. Flight info and/or a video would be great!
Old 08-29-2006, 01:31 PM
team3d

Just build it fully stock and keep it as light as possible.

I flown many of them with many different setups. I like the Airfoilz
Edge 540 because it is very precision in maneuvers and very smooth.
It locks into hovers and ect. Knife edge is perfect. I love it.

Team3d
Old 08-29-2006, 02:41 PM
rmgmag

As everyone says, keep it light. I built mine heavy and while it flies OK, I think that if I kept it in the 16oz range, it would fly better.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Gary Hoorn

cliorc,
I have both the Edge and the Yak. Make sure you assemble the spar on a flat surface and that it is straight. You do not need to taper it but do round the edges so that the step of rotating it in the wing with the glue on it is easier.

MEASURE THE COMPLETED SPAR AND MARK THE CENTER!

Some of them are a few inches short. This does not hurt but you don't want to ram it in to the end of the left wing and find it short on the right! They are an easy build. I differ from the instructions in that I assemble from the tail after mounting the motor mount and landing gear. It is easier I find to ensure the stab and rudder are square to the fuselage and then work the wing saddle as needed to line things up. I do the tail linkages and mount their servos as well before installing the wing.
Gary
Old 08-29-2006, 09:51 PM
David_Moen

So what are the secrets to keeping it light? I just ordered an Airfoilz Yak, should be here on time for a weekend build. I haven't used Gorilla glue before, but it's listed in the instructions - is it lighter than epoxy?
Old 08-30-2006, 03:44 PM
cliorc

Thanks for all the tips everyone,i've got it all done just waiting for this crazy wind to move out before trying. Olin
Old 08-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Gary Hoorn

David,
IMO gorilla glue is messy and unnecessary. When using epoxy on these birds I mix in micro balloons. This makes a light weight strong combination. I do this on the wing spar as well. Round the corners of the fuselage and all control surfaces. Every little bit you can remove makes it weigh less. I use the Hitec Micro 05MS receiver and HS55 servos as they are light. I fly mine with TP 1320 Prolites as they are about as light as you can get in that capacity. I have a Hacker 20-20L in my Yak and a Hyperion Z2213-20 in my Edge. Either of them are more than enough power at 16 or 17 ounces. I hover at slightly over half stick and can pull vertical until I get tired of watching it go up!
Gary
Old 08-31-2006, 07:56 AM
cliorc

Well got to fly my Airfoilz edge 540 this morning,very nice flying ,soild feeling,still getting used to it,the plane handles and flys much different then my Hacker Super Zoom but was able with no problem first time up get into a low hover.I'm running 95 mm CG with TP 1320(about 4inches back from leading edge) interested in what others so far are using for CG for 3D and if others have had to put washers on motor for more right side thrust. thanks Olin.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:08 AM
jvigani

You are in the range for CG. Might be able to move it back just a bit more if you want easier 3D at the expense of precision, but it becomes a personal choice. With regard to right thrust, 0,0 seems to work best. If you set it up with right thrust for upright, you wind up with left thrust inverted. Not so good as we generally spend a lot of time inverted.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:29 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

anyone tell me if my TP 2100 mah li-po's and my e-flight S-75 sub micro servos and e-flight 450 brushless motor would be a good fit for this bird???[sm=confused.gif]
Old 09-12-2006, 04:33 PM
jvigani

The motor and servos are fine. I would go with a smaller battery pack to save weight although a number of people fly with the 2100 pack. Plane is not quite as nimble with the heavier pack.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:13 PM
mblue2050
My Feedback: (6)

I bought the AirfoilZ edge and it arrived today.

Step one.
Locate the fuse..check
plywood fuse doublers.....EG-02 1/32 plywood

What is included in my kit is white cardboard in that shape....approx 1/32
No plywood in that shape for the doublers.
Is this a design mod or are these stencils? I opened it to late to call.

I have 1/32 sheet ply but if its a new foam build technique to save weight I am all for it if its strong...and I think it would be since the plane is so light.
However I need confirmation before I glue anything.

Thanks
Michael

Old 09-16-2006, 08:18 PM
JOyog

I just got mine yesterday 9/15, and it did not have plywood fuse doublers there was a laser cut plastic card with the doublers, servo mounts, and gear block side doublers. I also did not get klett pinned hinges but some cheaper hinges. I too am wondering if this in a cost reduction mod to the kit. The instructions do not list these plastic pieces but list the ply. They also mention Klett pinned hinges.

I too want to start building but don't want to use substandard parts. I have some ply I could use to cut the doublers but I am wondering if the change is better. My concern is the plastic may not bond as well as wood to the depron.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 09-16-2006, 08:25 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

woosh ! no wunder they were having a 15.00 off sale ! cheap parts! stay away from gimmicks! [sm=72_72.gif]
Old 09-16-2006, 11:04 PM
mblue2050

Yep its plastic, I just looked at it in the plastic bag and wrote here.

Now I have read the manual through and seems nearly everything that is listed as wood is now plastic.
The hinges worry me. I do not know everything about plastic but I do know if you bend it back and forth enough times at a thin point it will break.

I have never seen one of these in person and they sold me my first AirfioilZ sending me an e-mail 15.00 off.
Read good things..
downloaded the build from their site; easier to read and see; and its all wood like the manual.

I went ahead and used the plastic for the motor mount. It adheres well with epoxy.
However just looking at the finished product I do not see it holding the torque of a 250 to 300 watt motor as they suggest.
guess I will figure it out as I go.

It is going to be lighter..I think by a good bit. I wieghed individual parts and looks like around 12 oz AUW...with my battery motor esc and hs 55's. I could be off after more epoxy but...we will see.

personally I did not want lighter..no indoor flying sites around here that I know of...
Really I am quite close to trashing the thing. I do not like cheap and I did not buy the plane for calm only day flying.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:54 PM
jvigani

The plastic nose doublers were put in to replace the plywood for several reasons. Most people we talked to would rather have the nose doublers white to match the fuse and the plastic weighs essentially the same as the painted ply without any noticeable loss in strength, so we we decided to try it. We showed a number of people the new plastic parts at NEAT at they all seemed to like the way it looked. If you really want wood I'm sure Paul can hook you up.

We have also gone to a poly hinge as the Klett hinges don't seem to be available any more. I used the poly hinges on the Bipe and so far I like them. I think they are easier to install and give a nice tight hinge line. You need to install them with Gorilla glue though as you need the expansion to lock the hinges in place.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:53 PM
mblue2050

Change the manual to reflect the changes! A good idea would have been to do that before shipping it out with a manual that is wrong.
Change the website to mention these changes. Not good business to mislead customers

Thanks for mentioning gorilla glue for those hinges. Manual sure does not say that.
I will use my own tiny pinned hinges...if I build it.

http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro...d=DUB119/101.0
Old 09-18-2006, 12:42 AM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

ORIGINAL: mblue2050

Change the manual to reflect the changes! A good idea would have been to do that before shipping it out with a manual that is wrong.
Change the website to mention these changes. Not good business to mislead customers

Thanks for mentioning gorilla glue for those hinges. Manual sure does not say that.
I will use my own tiny pinned hinges...if I build it.

http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro...d=DUB119/101.0
I don't see how that misleads the customers? The substituted parts in no way affect a thing. We print the manuals by the hundreds, so it's impractical to change the manual and reprint them all, I have added a meansion on the site, but It takes time to get all the sites and ads uptodate.
If you don't like what you have bought I will take it back, losing a few sales is better than being bad mouthed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78185.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	525994  
Old 09-19-2006, 11:02 PM
sprice50
My Feedback: (1)

Hey guys,

Take a look at the overwhelmingly great response that Paul has had to the kits on the RC Groups thread. It is 1546 posts and 63,000 hits.

He has always stood behind his products.

That said, take a look at my new Yak video! I love ths plane!!!

Here is video of the Airfoilz Yak at the castle where the 'X-Men' movies were filmed.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDzDtSw917U]Click here: Airfoilz Yak 54 Video[/link]

In the video I love how violent the 'wall' is and take a look at how slow the Yak will knife edge... right at the end of the movie.

More to come.

Shaun