Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Seagull Models EP Extra 300

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Seagull Models EP Extra 300

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 07:36 PM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Models EP Extra 300

For those who would like to see what mine flies like with my unorthodox power system here is a [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oV9v1yVRRk]video[/link]

kontronik maxi dancer 1200kv
apc 10x5E
castle creations phoenix 25
electric power 1700mah 3 cell 12/18c

I'm only full throttle for short and rare bursts in the vid but it gives you an idea. Please excuse my less than spectacular flying abilities.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:04 AM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

looks good to me.

Im still working on another video...its taking a while because there is alot of editing. Im trying some new things, and getting it on video is proving difficult.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:37 PM
aflipz

i'm sure it'll be worth the wait. I could have shaved a lot of fluff out of my videos but it would have been tedious work cutting out all the little repetitive stuff.

I need to experiment with various props on my motor, i'm sure there are more efficient options out there.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:55 PM
bdavison

I tried the APC 12x6E on my 480(910kv) and it made a big difference. Much better vertical performance.

This video will be recorded in THX surround sound..Its a first for me. Im also video'ing it in HD format, but unfortunatly, compressed to web viewing size, it loses the HD aspect, but the surround sound is still there. Ive still got a lot of work to do, but I hope to have one sweet video when Im finished.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:46 PM
x388s

Hello,

New to this forum and newish to electric powered flight. ( I have been building and flying fuel powered planes for 16 yrs) I just bought a Seagull EP extra 300. My question is can I put a AXI 2808/16 in the extra 300? If so, what are my prop options. Any and all suggestions on building this plane welcome

Thanks
Old 10-03-2006, 01:08 AM
BadBoy__MadMikey

hey guys,
i picked up a seasgull extra ep 300 saturday at my lhs. well after reading the weight on the box side i couldn't beleive what it said 20 to 21 ounces??? well i went with it and got a 450 e flite outrunner. well i just finished her about 2 hours ago and ran the motor. took 3/4 to hover it in my hand!!!! and i'm kind of a power guy with my electrics. i weighed her with out battery and it was like 25 to 26 ounces!!! big diffrence from what the box says!!! go figure!!!!! welll i kind of stole the radio gear from my brio to get it goin. well i used a power 10 in the brio. so i managed to mount the 10 on the extra. WOW will hover at half throttle. plus on the 450 it was real tail heavy!!! now i think it will balance out great. i weighed her with a 1320 pack cause i let a buddy use my 2100's this weekend. but even with the 1320 weight was about 28 ounces!!! my brio with the 2100's weighed 32 ounces and had unlimited vertical!!!! i figure the extra will come out at 30 to 31 ounces with a 2100. i'm using 3 hitec 55's and one eflite s75 servos. jr 6 channel micro receiver. eflite power 10 outrunner, cc 35 esc. have you guys had the same problem with the weigh being alot more than the 20 to 21 written on the box???? if so whats yours weigh???? what you guys think about me using the power 10???? sick huh????? lol lol did any of you have a problem balancing it or is the 480 i see many if u are using is heavier than the 450???

Mikey
Old 10-03-2006, 02:35 AM
Get Real

there was probally some mix up before release. it was corrected online but is still on the box. auw is suggested at 28-32 oz. most that have used the suggested set ups have come in between the suggested weight(weights have been a little over when using larger motors). mine was just under 32 oz. the last time i weighed it.. including some added stuff like tail wheel/covering on gear legs/spinner/painted canopy/reinforced elevator and/solid stab.. using hs 65s all around 480 1020kv and tp 2100 prolite. it flys very well/and has very good 3D capability in my opinion as well as others. power 10 should do well for 3D.. i find the 480 marginal for hovering with mine near 32 ounces. the 480 flys it well for aerobatics which its marketed for/for hardcore 3D guys you probally want the power 10 or more power. the 480 3.1 oz weighs more than the 450 2.5 oz you shouldnt have a problem balancing.. remember manual says wing tip for cg not wing root.. at root its roughly an inch further back to get cg.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:12 AM
aflipz

ORIGINAL: x388s

Hello,

New to this forum and newish to electric powered flight. ( I have been building and flying fuel powered planes for 16 yrs) I just bought a Seagull EP extra 300. My question is can I put a AXI 2808/16 in the extra 300? If so, what are my prop options. Any and all suggestions on building this plane welcome

Thanks

Yes and no,

it is in the right power class to get you around that's for sure but it will be less than ideal;

if the data i found on the web is right this motor is relatively high kv and loads up fast on small diameter props. it is built for speed on aerodynamic aircraft not thrust on slow aerobatic planes. It will pull it around but you may find torque rolling allmost impossible.

i wouldn't go any higher than a 9x5E on 3 cells and would expect the loads to be above 25A wot be carefull! You are looking for something in the same weight and watt class that has more torque and less rpm's in order to swing larger diameter props.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:27 PM
x388s

aflipz,

You are rite on the money. I bought the AXI to use in a hotliner. Would you suggest trading/selling the AXI to get the correct setup. I am at best an average 3d pilot and just bought this plane to have fun. If you think this motor will get me by I will just try it and see what happens. The speed controler I have is a Jeti 40-3p. Thanks for the help

ORIGINAL: aflipz

ORIGINAL: x388s

Hello,

Thanks

Yes and no,

it is in the right power class to get you around that's for sure but it will be less than ideal;

if the data i found on the web is right this motor is relatively high kv and loads up fast on small diameter props. it is built for speed on aerodynamic aircraft not thrust on slow aerobatic planes. It will pull it around but you may find torque rolling allmost impossible.

i wouldn't go any higher than a 9x5E on 3 cells and would expect the loads to be above 25A wot be carefull! You are looking for something in the same weight and watt class that has more torque and less rpm's in order to swing larger diameter props.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Rush7
My Feedback: (74)

I had my first flight on my Segull Extra today. It flies great and performes a great knife edge. I think that my cg is a little off because it was a handfull from a wall to a hover. It seems to fly great and seems to fly very light.
My setup:
Extreme Flight Torgue 2818T/900 motor
Extreme Flight Air Boss 35A ESC
Hitec 65HB's on ailerons, elevator and Hitec 65MG on the rudder
Hitec 555 receiver
Thunder Power 3s1p 2100mah
12x6e APC prop
The plane has unlimited vertical and will hover at about 1/2 throttle. I think that I finally got this motor/esc thing figured out. I beleive that I chose the right setup for my plane.
With all of this being said.........And I do not want to start a fuss but I said previously that I would give my honest opinion about this plane versus the Extreme Flight Extra. I do own and have over 200 flight on the EF Extra.

Value - The Seagull Extra wins hands down
Areobatics - EF Extra
3D - EF Extra
Fun to fly - EF Extra for performance Seagull is a great bang for your buck flyer
With that being said, here are the reasons.
Value - This is a no brainer. The Seagull is half the price of the EF.
Areobatics - The EF just seems to be much more resposive and flys like it is on rails
3D - The EF is much more stable in 3D manuvers
Fun to fly - EF Extra if you want the top of the line plane(and money is no option)......If you want a great plane at a great price that seems to be top of the line for the money, go with the Seagull Extra.

With some more fligths on the Seagull I think that I can get the plane to perform better. I dont really check cg on my planes. I usually use my fingers and eyeball it to see if I am close to the factory settings are, after the first flight I will change it to make the plane perform the way I want it to. This has seemed to work for me better than putting it on the cg stand and moving stuff around to get it perfect. I have found that if it close you can usually get it back on the ground in one piece. I hope that everyone will have as much fun with this plane as I did today. This is a good plane at a great price.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:31 AM
BadBoy__MadMikey

i test flew mine also this evening. and all i can say is WOW!!! i'm glad i put the Power 10 on it cause it has unlimited vertical. and the power 10 only cost $69.99. what a great price for a little power house. i'm using a cc 35 esc on it with prolite 2100's. i was really nose heavt though. it took about 3/4 of down to hold level inverted flight. so i used the removable battery tray to create a long solid battery tray. i can now mount the battery all the way back to the wing tube. and i didn't have to add any extra weight. the 1st flight myself and my buddy loved the way it tracked, but was just too nose heavy to tell somethings. the second flight i moved the pack back as far as i could and it felt alot better but still nose heavy. i won't be able to fly it again til next week but after ll the changes i made to get the cg better i should have a better 3-d report. but i also have the brio 10. and i fly imac contest and i use to use the brio to prctice my manuvers, but i think this extra will be a much better practice ad for my imac flying!!! this plane is just too cool!!!!!

Mikey
Old 10-04-2006, 09:33 AM
billz

Just got my Seagull Extra 300 yesterday. I was looking at this and the Extreme Flight 300 but price won out. The Seagull Extra 300 looks like a great plane. Started building it but couldn't help but wonder why the hinges don't come pre-glued in place? Seems like it would save some time. I'm new to balsa models and CA glue (been flying foamies and using epoxy) and I guess I'm just nervous about gluing the hinges. Any pointers?

I've got the motor, cowl, and landing gear installed just fine. I can't wait to finish it and give it a try.

My setup:

Motor - Eflite Park 480 (taken from my PZ Typhoon...following in the footsteps of Get Real)
ESC - CC Phoenix 35
Prop - APC 12x6E
Battery - TP 2100 3S Prolite
Servos - Hitec HB65
Old 10-04-2006, 11:05 AM
aflipz

yeah follow the instructions and hurry up to take out the centering t pins and push the aileron closer to the trailing edge of the wing, ca tends to set real quick and you don't want to have to cut mis-aligned hinges and re-slot the wing and ailerons.

make sure you have some debonder to remove the excess ca.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:17 PM
bdavison

Here's the easy no fuss way.
Just insert a t-pin into the center of each hinge, slide em all into the control surface.
Now take the control surface with all the hinges in place, and slide them into the (wing/stab/etc) so that the T-pins form a little gap.
Remove the first T-pin. Wick some thin CA into the hinge. Remove the next t-pin and repeat.
After you've hit them all with CA, flex the hinge back and forth about 10 times to make sure its free.
Tug on it to make sure its glued good.
And your good to go.

Its not complicated, the problem most newbies have is that they try to get the hinge too tight. Use the T-pins...it will make the gap correct, and the surfaces will move freely. Its ok to have a little gap in there. You can always seal it with hinge tape later. Better to have freedom of movement, than a super tight hinge.

Use THIN CA...not thick, not medium...THIN! You want the CA to wick up inside and firmly attach everything. You can use one of those fine CA bottle nozzles if you want. It makes it easier to get it into the hinge.

Dont put so much on there that it drips down underneath, or you will glue the wing to the table, and make a huge mess. You'll be able to see the CA flow into the hinge if you do it right.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:47 PM
billz

Thanks aflipz and bdavison for the good suggestions...I'll get some T-pins, thin CA, and CA debonder and give it a whirl.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:37 PM
VictoryRoll-91

Can I take servos out of my PZ typhoon and put them in the extra???? thanks
Old 10-04-2006, 06:41 PM
aflipz

pretty sure those would equate to hs55's so i'd say yes go ahead but there are certainly better servos out there.

don't expect it to be as easy to 3d as a typhoon. (this has nothing to do with the servos)
Old 10-04-2006, 09:42 PM
spicedcrab

i seen a few other posts were ppl were having lots of trouble with typhoon servos, they kept stripping. i wouldnt use them if it was me.

john
Old 10-04-2006, 10:04 PM
spicedcrab

i just took out my 480 910 motor, it was pulling 24.2 amps and 265 watts on an APC 12x6E. i put in a hacker A30-16M this is pulling 30.5 amps, 332 watts with a 11x5.5....... and 37 amps, 393 watts with a 12x6. the hacker stuck out just a tad more than the 480, but fit just fine on the 480 motor mount that comes with the extra 300. the cowl still had plenty clearance, the only mod was to use screws in a new bolt pattern instead of using the blind nuts. the battery pack had to be pulled rearward about 1" to correct the CG.

in testing when i have the 12x6 on it, my thunder power pro lite 2100 battery is hitting low voltage cutoff when i hit about the 30 amp mark or so, if the pack has about 600 mah or more taken out of it. has anyone tried the extream TP packs, if so will they take 37 amp discharge that i may briefly hit from time to time? or is there another pack that will do well like maybe "tanic 2150" or anything else that may be suggested?

i dont trust specs anymore since i bought a few apogee 2200 20C packs (going by the specs they posted) and they hit low voltage cutoff way before the TP 15C packs do. thats why i ask here for actual "real" oppinons.

thanks

john
Old 10-04-2006, 10:29 PM
BadBoy__MadMikey

when i first got my QQ brio, using the power 10 on a 12x6e and a cc 35 esc i put a tester on it and i was pulling 50 amps and 525watts!!!! and it was not amping out on long full throttle burst!!!! now i am using the gen 3 prolites from tp the 2100's. but seeing 50 amps for 15 seconds scared me so i proped it down to a 11x5.5e and got it down around 35 amps continutes where they say the motor should run, but i flew about6 flights before i ever tested it. at first i took it easy trimming the plane and all and got 8 minutes easy, well then i started using it to practice my imac pattern and would get to about 7 minutes and it would be totally out of power, barlly enough to get it back down safely. and the brio weighed in at 32 ounces. let me tell ya that power 10 really pulls the extra around great. total weight of the extra 30.5 ounces!!!! it will hover at 1/2 throttle!!!! i'm still using the 11x5.5e prop. i had to trim the cowl a bit for the motor to clear. but i have a mpi aluminum 40mm spinner on it and the extra just looks sick!!!! i will get some pics on here in a few days!!!
They don;t call me Mad for nothing!!!

Mikey
aka MadMikey
Old 10-04-2006, 10:30 PM
aflipz

Ha, i used the 450 mount to install my kontronik; perfect fit. but i too didn't put the blind nuts in there at all just 4 screws in a new bolt pattern, i felt the blind nuts were way too heavy for the task and that they were not a needed I'm sure it'll have no problem keeping your 393watts let alone my 250. Didn't weigh them, but remove a gram here a gram there and before ya know it you got an ounce...

still havent had a chance to weigh this plane acurately.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:36 PM
Get Real

ORIGINAL: zildjian1992

Can I take servos out of my PZ typhoon and put them in the extra???? thanks
i like hitec hs65s very nice servo's/jr and futaba also have nice servos to. if your on a tight budget e-flite s 75s or hitec hs 55s.. hitec hs 55s have longer wires for connecting. my hitec hs 65s required a little trim work on servo openings on plane to fit. the pz typhoon servos which are almost identical to hs 81 hitecs are much larger. youd have your work cut out for you so to speak. see pic for comparisons.. the pz servo's are considerably larger than hs 55s or e-flite 75s.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95957.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	535546  
Old 10-04-2006, 11:54 PM
Get Real

also.. servos can have a big impact on your flying/low torque servos have a very noticable differance to me.. especially in larger electrics with more weight. higher grade servos have a much better feel/quicker response because they have the torque to move large flight surfaces easy. a faster lower torque servo straining to move the flight surface will be slower than a higher torque servo with a slower speed within reason. hs 55s and e-flite s 75s are very nice in light little foamys. but there performance isnt nearly as good in a plane of this size and weight compared to hs 65s or similar rated servos.

hs 65s in my extra http://media.putfile.com/Extra-300-H...ervo-Action-46

higher grade servos are worth the investment.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:56 PM
aflipz

I stand corrected.

Hey get real, do you find s75's dont center well? I have a few of them and i hate them. They just have so much slop at the centers it's enough to make a good plane bad.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:09 AM
Get Real

im not knocking the s-75s or spektrum versions which are the same that came with my dx6. there not bad in smaller foamys.. i prefer hs 55s though. im not correcting anyone/just trying to help and i have the servos in question so i posted pic for comparisons . the centering problem and slop in gears are why i wont use the lower grade servo's any more in bigger built up planes.. they can get you by and work well in smaller planes but after a year of doing this ive learned the differance servos can make in overall flight and feel of a plane. if it helps somebody out from my mistakes or things ive learned etc.. its worth it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.