Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Katana Mini Vs. Fliton Extra

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Katana Mini Vs. Fliton Extra

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:44 PM
itspuddingtime00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Katana Mini Vs. Fliton Extra

I think I've narrowed down my search to just these two, but I was wondering if anyone could comment on their performance. They are right around the same price, and both look very nice. I want something that is able to do precision stuff, but still be very 3d capable. I think my best bet is to go with the built-up airfoiled planes due to wind issues. I have heard that the Katana Mini doens't have a removable wing which would be a problem for me. If it flies a lot better than the fliton, then I suppose I could just make up something. I have TP 2100 mah batteries so I was hoping I could use those and maybe like an E-flight park 480 and their 40A ESC with futaba S3110 servos. I am leaning more towards the fliton just becuase I have seen the extra fly. I know that setup might fly a bit heavy, but I'm usually dealing with 10-20 mph winds in the winter, so I figure I'll get tossed around less. I would like to keep the price in the low $300's if possible I am open to suggestions for other planes/setups as well. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:51 PM
dirtdiver07

Default RE: Katana Mini Vs. Fliton Extra

As far as flight characteristics I would say that these planes are almost equal. I would say that the Katana has some precision edge over the Extra while the Extra has some 3D superiority over the Katana. I do not know who told you that the Katana's wings cannot be removed but I assure you they can. The only thing I can say is that the Katana was not a dream to put together, and that might give the Extra an edge over it if you are not ready to have to alter a few things in an ARF kit. No matter which you buy I am sure that you will be happy with its performance. Good Luck!

Nathan
Old 11-23-2006, 12:03 AM
itspuddingtime00

Thanks for the response. What setup are you running in your katana? Also, by alterations in the Extra kit, do you mean it requires major structural improvements or something?
Old 11-23-2006, 12:37 AM
Ryguy
My Feedback: (1)

I have a Katana and love it. The new version, the KM deluxe, has a lot of the hard things in the original ARF done for you, and some reinforcements added. I have one myself set up with:
Torque 2830/1095
PQ 1500 and 1800 3S packs
CC PHX 35 ESC
Electron 6 receiver
HS-55 servos and a HS-65 on elevator.

Flies great. Took a little getting used to after only previously flying foamies, but now I'll harrier roll it just a foot up, tail touches in hovers, the whole deal. Takes all the abuse just fine. I've never flown a Fliton Extra, but from what I hear they're a great plane, but a little on the fragile side, or at least originally.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:35 PM
itspuddingtime00

Do you think the TP 2100mah packs will make the katana fly too heavy? And what do you mean about the Katana Deluxe, I thought there was only one version of the ARF.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:45 PM
Ryguy
My Feedback: (1)

The new Katana Mini Deluxe is the latest version, and all they're selling anymore. It comes with a lot of the hard work in the build already done for you; the original KM was notorious for being one of the more difficult ARFs to assemble. The TP2100s are fine for the KM, PQ 1500s though really bring out its 3D capability, and are half the price of the TP2100s. The 2100s would definately be to heavy for the Extra though.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:59 PM
itspuddingtime00

Thanks. I guess that settles it for me then. I already have the 2100's so I figured I might be able to cut some corners there. Is the setup you're running pretty ballistic? I want something thats gonna pull the plane pretty well.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:18 PM
aerofundan

hey guys here is a video of my Katana Deluxe:

[link=http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/video/Katana%20Mini%20by%20Aerofun.wmv]http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/video/Katana%20Mini%20by%20Aerofun.wmv[/link]
Old 03-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Amraam

I'm also tied between these two. I think I (very slightly) prefer the look of the PA KM and also it is slightly bigger (good in wind). I've been told however the KM won't fly as well on a Hacker A20 20L as the Extra 330S Mini.

I'm basically looking for a model (no bigger than ~1m wingspan) that will KE/harrier/hover/slow fly well, but will also fly flast and track well. The KM structure looks a bit better with all the nice CF supports, whereas the Mini needs a lot more modding to get it near perfect. The KM seems to have a more supported build than the Extra.

Another point I have to consider is where I fly. I fly at fields where the grass is usally anything up to 6" long. Which of the two planes would hold up better? I don't to wreck the under carriage simply by landing.

The setup I want to use is:

[ul][*] Hacker A20 20L[*] 25-30A ESC[*] 1300-1500mAh 3S 20C LiPo[*] 4 x Hitec HS55 (or Hitec56HB if needed, however HS55 are cheaper for my budget)
[/ul]

Cheers!!
Old 03-01-2007, 01:48 PM
flytime56

Amraam,

Right now I am also looking for another airplane for that setup. At the moment I have it in a E3D, which is a great little airplane. This plane will do anything that you give it, and flies great in strong wind when I don't fly the large gassers. Looking for something that looks a bit more scale and also as much fun and as light as this plane. Let me know if you find anything good out there.

Geoff.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Amraam

Well from what other's have said, the Fliton Extra 330S Mini is a very good choice for us.

I'm just looking at alternatives before temptation forces me to click buy next to the Extra 300S's picture