Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

New - Katana S30e by Sebart - Looks Awesome

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

New - Katana S30e by Sebart - Looks Awesome

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 06:28 AM
Bill Killillay
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New - Katana S30e by Sebart - Looks Awesome

Here ya go...
http://www.fedonaircraft.net/album1_013.htm

Luigi has some in stock. I would have one already, but the boss, i.e. the wife has not approved the funds yet. Maybe after tax season...

ORIGINAL: mithrandir

The FUNTANA 140S is really swet too!!!!!

Wish mine was the Seba Green and red!!!

http://media.putfile.com/FUTABA-14MZ...0-FUNTANA-140S
Old 02-01-2007, 06:30 AM
Bill Killillay

You have the motor or the QQ plane? Or both? I got a 12L, but I've not seen the 14L's being sold yet here in the US.

BK
ORIGINAL: Maudib

This is the same new motor and ESC used in the QQ 49"... I have them and will soon be testing on 3s and 4s packs... the 3s can spin a 14x7 prop and the 4s needs to drop down to a 12x6... The planes are similar in weight so power to weight performance should be nearly identical...
Old 02-01-2007, 06:45 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

I've got both... doing an RCU review... here's the sneak peak thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5258179

I've got the 14x7 and 12x6 props (maybe a 13x6.5 too) to test and read with a Whatt's Up Whattmeter...

The motors and ESCs will be soon available...

The new Pro series ESC's a re NICE... the 30amp plus feature a switching BEC allowing 6 digital servos+ without a separate BEC (UBEC)... they also allow for 4 cells without disabling the BEC (and maybe more)

They will be avaiable in sizes from 7 amp up to 75 Opto and are programmable with a new USB programmer.

The X-40-SB-Pro, X-55-SB-Pro and X-70-SB-Pro featue the 6 digital servos and Switching BEC ( I actually have the 55 amp)

Opto 40, 70 and 75 do not have the BEC at all...
Old 02-01-2007, 06:54 AM
Bill Killillay

Those ESC's do sound nice. I would love to have an actual switching BEC in an ESC instead of having to use something external. Nice, nice...

How's the plane? How heavy is it? My Katana came in at 46.5 oz AUW with a 12L and the normal X-40 ESC in it. 13x6.5 prop, etc.

I have a [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605510]thread[/link] running over on the other boards...

And I did a [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623855]review[/link] for them too...

Old 02-01-2007, 07:13 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Good job!

Not quite finished with it yet... but close... The airframe will come in at the estimated 42 oz without battery...

I've opted for an anodized TruTurn E-Spinner for it which will add a little... but it's SO purdy...

Looks like these size planes are the next "size generation" of high performance 3D electrics...
Old 02-01-2007, 07:56 AM
Bill Killillay

Thanks, I would agree, this size is nice. Easy to transport, affordable, easier to see in the air, and performance is outstanding.
ORIGINAL: Maudib

Good job!

Not quite finished with it yet... but close... The airframe will come in at the estimated 42 oz without battery...

I've opted for an anodized TruTurn E-Spinner for it which will add a little... but it's SO purdy...

Looks like these size planes are the next "size generation" of high performance 3D electrics...
Old 03-21-2007, 07:35 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Got mine on Thursday last an flew it on an AXI 2826/8 and 2150 3S1P it was a great flight with no drama's at all except on landing when I took the UC off on our rough pasture field, still the flight times where just no long enough with this motor combination as it was pulling over 60amps on the recommended 13x6, so I have gone out and got a Hacker A30-14L and ESC and its been too windy for me to fly since, will report the difference in performance once I get a chance to fly it.

Oh yes the weight difference between the AXI and Hacker powered is only 4onz but all at the front so the CG is now in a more favarable position for 3D supprisingly most of the weight advantage was negated by the heavier 14x7 prop.

Mike
Old 06-13-2007, 07:57 AM
model-flying.com

Has anyone done a nitro conversion yet? I think it would be a good conversion, just be carefull with the speed like any 3d. Now what's it going to be, 40 size 2 stroke or 4 stroke? I have either.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:05 PM
BaldEagel

Have you felt the weight of this thing it needs a 20 two stroke at the most, its the lightest plane I have ever had for the wing span.

Mike
Old 06-13-2007, 01:14 PM
model-flying.com

Ok Mike, Do you think an OS 25 woud be ok? The only reason I ask is I can afford the plane but because I have nothing bigger in the way of electric other than a shocky, it would be very expensive to set up. I have been promised a go on an electric version in the next couple of weeks.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:19 PM
BaldEagel

Once you try the electric version you will not want to convert it too IC, it is just simply superb in standard form, the only added expences is either in a quick charger or more batteries to enable you to fly as often as you want. This plane goes with me to my site with my 50cc petrol Yak and I fly the SebArt first, second and last with three batteries, it is so much fun, go for the standard set up with the Hacker motor and controller you will not be dissapointed.

Mike
Old 06-13-2007, 01:29 PM
model-flying.com

You've talked me into it, I'll just have to make some more money!! Just putting my Perkins Panic together after getting one from model-pro.co.uk last night. West t1 50 on the front........should be a laugh. I had the old Panic for 20 years. The same shop does the Katana too, i'll have to stay friends with him!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2007, 01:38 PM
BaldEagel

I have a Panic with four servo wings so I can get crow in either positive or negative i.e all inside or all outside its a blast to stop it in a vertical dive, do you know Bunny, Robert or Alister from Avicraft?

Signing off now back tomorrow.
Mike
Old 06-13-2007, 01:49 PM
model-flying.com

No I don't know them personaly. I might go to 4 servos in the wings at a later date. I am just looking forward to wringing it out before the weekend
Old 07-26-2007, 11:01 PM
kochj

If you wanted a glow in this, do you think it would work with a 40?

Old 07-27-2007, 07:05 AM
BaldEagel

A 40 is far too big it only weighs 3Lb with the batteries in, it would fly with authority with a 25, the question remains why? it fly's so well with the standard set up, I think you would have major problems trying to ballance it anyway, and I don't think the airframe would stand the vibration.

Mike
Old 07-27-2007, 07:33 AM
guy5927

the question remains why
The answer remains simple .... gas up - fly - land - gas up etc etc ....

But I agree this is the ONLY reason to go for a .25 ( which will do very nice IMHO )
Old 07-27-2007, 11:20 PM
kochj

The only reason would be that I don't have a single electric aircraft right now,...
Bateries are a killer
I think aobut the price,,,, 500$ for this plane and the ellectronics,,,, Not including the servos.....

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a electric plane like this and all the bells and whisles and just take it out and throw it in the air in my back yard and have a ball!
That would be awsome,,,,
I just thought if I could get one of these planes and get a gas engine in it and have it work as well, w/o any balancing issues then I would be happy....

What is the weight of a good 3D electric setup for this plane?
What would it compare to the .25 nitro setup?

Would a Eflite Power 25 BL Outrunner Motor, 870Kv work>?
Is the hacker A30 mucho sepremo?

I know that some may think that this is a waste of time, but it is actually a very interesting deal...

Justin
Old 07-28-2007, 04:23 AM
BaldEagel

Already said it weighs 3Lbs with the batteries in it, batteries are 2150Mah LiPo 3cell, the Hacker is a very high quality German motor it would be hard to better. When thinking about batteries you have to take into account the fuel you would use on an IC set up, the batteries should be good for at least 500cycles as long as they are not abbused, add to all this a decent charger, I recommend the Trinity which is a true ballance charger, it charges each cell individually and gives a output display not just LED lights.

I think you would not be able to ballance this plane with a 25 in it, you would end up with a plane weight that would overstress the as built airframe, the fus would be vunerable to vibration that it was not designed to take.

Electrics have very low vibration levels compared too IC, I don't think this conversion would work satisfactorally by the time you have strenthend everthing up the weight would get out of hand and you would loose the flying characteristics of the plane, for 3D light is best.

All IMO

Mike
Old 07-28-2007, 04:11 PM
kochj

Thanks for you input...
the plane should only have a Electric power source...
Will not try to attemp IC..

Justin
Old 10-15-2007, 03:34 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Old thread, but I recently got a chance to fly a friends SebArt Katana...
WOW!!!

At first when I looked at it it had a park 480 in it with a 12x6 prop, and I was thinking...uh...no way thats gonna work.

I was absolutly shocked to find that it actually could hover on it, and flew so freakin sweet...now I HAVE to have one.
I wouldnt mind more power than the 480 had to offer, but it really did fly fine on the 480. Amazing

The thing is the sweetest most stable locked in plane Ive ever flown. Uplines, Downlines, 45 degrees...it stays right on track no matter if its straight and level or rolling.
It has ZERO bad tendancies. NONE... Perfect plane. I actually liked it better than my Seagull Extra, and believe me..the Seagull Extra is a awesome plane.

Gotta get one for myself pronto.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:26 AM
neosugus

Hi.

Has anybody tried to fly it with 123 cells?
It would be really amazing to fly with 15 minute complete charged packs

Thanks

Oscar
Old 12-27-2007, 07:19 AM
neosugus

Hi folks.

I finally have the katana 30 from sebart and I fly it with a123 dewalt cells.
I'ts great with 4S nd for sport flying, pattern and some 3D ( I'm not a 3D flyer ).
8 - 10 minutes flight with hacker a30 14l and 13/6,5 prop. With 14/7 prop the hacker gets very very hot

I charge it in the field 12 to 15 minutes at 10 Amp with hyperion charger.

Regards

Oscar
Old 01-27-2009, 07:40 PM
mac91

Here are some pics of my new Katana S30E maidened this morning, flys so smooth but need to seal my surfaces as I noticed bad flutter on ailerons
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79511.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1121298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46100.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1121299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73528.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1121300  
Old 01-28-2009, 07:54 AM
BaldEagel

It may not be the lack or sealing on the ailerons causing the flutter, it could be bad servo's, sloppy linkages or just plain flying too fast for the airframe, I have had my Katana for over two years and have never had flutter on any surface, using Hitec HS85MG's all around.

What servo's are you using?

Is that an Electric wooden prop on your Katana?

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.