Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

3D Foamy Advantage Bipe - build thread

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

3D Foamy Advantage Bipe - build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 11:46 PM
Ken-h
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 3D Foamy Advantage Bipe - build thread

Amen bother, I got to tell you however, the paint job does look great by the pictures. Nothing to be ashamed of there. I have to go out at least once a week in front of the house and get my 3dfoamy fix. I've tried many others my self but always end right back to one of John's.

Ken

I got the foam board and cut some struts so this minor issue is resolved.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I was 98% frustrated with the amount of time I was spending on this plane and feeling like I was getting no where. That was due to paint job I chose to apply. Not likely I'll do anything like it again. It just so happened that I found the struts not to line up following the painting. Anyway this is not a big deal and has been resolved with a little time.

FWIW, I still believe 3D Foamy has the best foamies out there. This is leaps and bounds better than my Eflite Ultimate and any other foamy I have seen at the flying field. It's more rigid, easier to assemble straight, and everything but the outer wing struts was perfect. This may need to be quantified a bit more. John was a bit apprehensive about cutting an Advantage kit for me since he had never sold a kit for it, but he knew I really wanted this plane. I only have evidence of only 1 other Advantage ever being assembled and have not been able to get a response from that gentlemen despite trying for nearly 2 years. So no matter the cause of the misalignment with this possibly being the second kit sold how could I complain. It's still a great looking plane that no other manufacturer has done a model of from what I can find.

This has certainly not swayed my opinion of 3D Foamy and I hope it won't yours. You might even notice that the Advantage bipe is not listed on the 3D Foamy websitehttp://www.3dfoamy.com. I just knew it used to be there and searched for it for quite some time by trying different URL's until I found it. John then went out of his way to cut me a kit he doesn't normally produce during one of, I suspect, his busiest times of the year. During this entire process John has been responsive, helpful and a pleasure to deal with. As I said before my next foamy wil be the Tiburon bipe and that hasn't changed. Thanks John.

Now I am off to start gluing the wings and tail on.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:22 AM
WhtBronco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the airframe is now 1 piece. It's all glued together and wow is it rigid, especially for a foamy. There were no surprises gluing it together, basically just run some glue on the parts being assembled and dang near snap them together. The aileron cross connects are completed, and the other pushrods are all assembled. The rudder is going to be pull-pull using monofilament line. I decided to use a pushrod on the elevator.

The rudder and elevator servo locations have been altered from the current design to nearly match the original locations. I just prefer them and by moving the rudder servo forward I can use pull-pull and eliminate a servo extension.

This plane should fly by this weekend.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:07 AM
VictoryRoll-91

yay, can't wait to hear a flight report.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:03 AM
WhtBronco

I've decided to set up the motor with no right thrust. A lot of park flyers are that way now with little effect. I can always shim it later if need be.

The ailerons are done, the elevator is done, the motor and ESC are installed. I just have to pick a spot for the Rx and get the rudder servo setup.

Depending on the weather and how I'm feeling I hope to fly it this weekend. I don't care if it's cold(I like it cold), but I prefer fairly calm winds for a maiden flight. Also I currently have a broken vertebrae, T1(located at the baase of the neck). Somedays I'm okay and somedays, like today, I can barely move my head.

I do like it really cold too. Today the temp was 16 when I left the house and I kept the window on my truck open for almost the entire 2 hour ride to work. Anything over 80 and I stay inside though, I don't do heat it just makes me sick. I wish the li-po's liked the cold better, LOL.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:14 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Put the LIPO's on your dash with the heater on
Old 02-08-2007, 03:17 PM
VictoryRoll-91

How did you break your vertabrae? Hope ya get better.[&:]
Old 02-09-2007, 07:38 AM
WhtBronco

I had a 40+ lb bounce house blower fall and hit me on the head. I got a concussion, and broke my skull as well. It wasn't until almost 2 weeks later my back/neck started hurting. Thankfully my head is really just big rock so it's fine.

The temps won't keep me from flying, the batteries just don't last quite as long when it's cold. That just means I need more packs, LOL. I typically keep the li-po's in my pocket until I fly them in the cold temps.

I tried really hard to keep it light shooting for a target weight of 13oz AUW and it weighs 12.5oz without the battery. So I will end up at 14oz, about 1oz over the target weight. There's really not much I can think of to do to drop the weight, heck Levi designed the plane such that there isn't really anything I could to do the airframe to reduce weight(he did a really good job) except be cautious with the glue. I mean I could get new servos at a cost of almost $100 and save .5oz, I can't get much lighter than a CC10 ESC and my Hi-Max motor is not a heavy motor. I'm already gonna run TP 3S 730mah li-po's on it. I may end up swapping my Hacker A20-20L in of my Skeeter 30 with the Hi-Max. The A20 will be huge power with only a .25oz weight gain for the CC25 ESC. FWIW, the advertised weight is 11.5 - 15.5oz so it's certainly within that range.

All that's left at this point is to determine where the battery needs to be located for CG and glue on the plastic plates that keep the velcro strap from cutting into the foam. I did at least end up slightly tail heavy as I planned to without the battery so it can be mounted near the CG.

The weather may not cooperate for me this weekend. Currently the wind is gusting over 20 knots and that's predicted through the weekend. We'll see, I'm starting to get a bit anxious to fly it at this point.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:39 AM
WhtBronco

Oh yeah, I'll get some pics up this weekend with it completed as well. It turned out pretty nice. The paint job could have been better, but the plane is just as sweet as I expected it to be.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:06 PM
WhtBronco

Well it's ready to fly. My Hi-Max 2812-0650 will have enough power to hover and pull out a little. I suspect I am gonna want more power since after flying my 14oz Skeeter 30 with the Hacker A20-20L I have been spoiled by rediculous power.

I have some pics to upload of the completed plane and a few close ups of the electronics. I need to get some 3" extensions for the aileron servos, but for now 6" will do.

I'm really impressed with the way the airframe turned out. It's very rigid, it can be picked up by the wing tip with very little flex in the wings. I have high hopes for the flight performance. All that's left to do is a range check, wehich I expect will be uneventful as this ebtire setup was in another plane until a couple weeks ago, but we'll see. If the wind cooperates I will try to get it airborne tomorrow.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:32 PM
WhtBronco

Okay pics.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79579.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	618247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59465.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	618248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36280.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	618249  
Old 02-10-2007, 11:35 PM
WhtBronco

A few more.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37820.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	618261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51358.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	618262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36767.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	618263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75524.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	618264  
Old 02-11-2007, 12:05 AM
HPIracer4

look real good!! since my tibouron has been put on hold, im workin on a foamy jet (flat) i kno its not 3d, but thats one of the only other kits i have layin aroound for my equipment.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:22 PM
WhtBronco

What put your Tiburon on hold? I'm anxious to hear about the Tiburon bipe.

Well against my preference I decided to swap out the hard mount for my prop for a rubber band mount since my Advantage does not have landing gear. This is my first plane without landing gear in about 15 years. The rubber band mount doesn't hold the prop very tight, of course not like a hard mount will. So how many times should the rubber bands be wrapped over? Currently I have the 2 rubber bands that came with my Hi-Max motor simply doubled over. Ya know, looped on 1 side, wrapped around the other side and lopped back onto the opposite side. I question whether this will hold it well enough since I frequently hear the prop flexing in flight when I pull hard on my park flyer planes.

Thanks.

Now I'm off to get my TT 50 back into my Raptor 50 heli to replace the OS 50 that's currently in it.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:50 PM
HPIracer4

well, the tibouron kit was missing wing struts, and the carbon tube for the elevator, and im just waiting to get the laser cut pieces from john, because id rather do that then cut my own. but ditch the rubber bands. they dont work for crap, u want to get an o-ring, from like a home depot or ace hardware. if i can find the package ill let you kno what size it is, but the o-right gives it a nice tight fit.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:52 PM
WhtBronco

Yeah I understand. John's laser cutting is very nice.

I know the rubber bands don't hold well. This is the first time I have ever tried them figuring they wouldn't hold well and they don't. Hmm, the O-ring still flexes enough to protect the prop and prop shaft on landing? I've got several O-rings around here so I'll see what I can come up with. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:36 PM
HPIracer4

ya the o-rings work wonders. with me flying indoors, i tend to fly low to the ground and always end up landing on the belly of the plane (no gear) or if i crash, it always holds the prop on. ive never had a problem with the o-rings. its so much better then the rubber bands. all you should need is 1 o-ring. thats all i use.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:27 AM
WhtBronco

Well I picked up some O-rings. I got #11, 3/4" OD x 1/8". I question whether it'll hold well enough. I found online a suggestion to use #10 so I'll pick some up and give them a try.

Well needless to say I didn't get to fly it this weekend. I won't do maiden flights at home in the cul-de-sac, I prefer to go to the flying field and I didn't get a chance for that. It may be the weeked before I get another chance with the snow and wind that's predicted.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:10 PM
WhtBronco

I think the whether knows I have a new plane that's ready to fly. I really like snow, I just don't want it right now. Snow and ice today, tonight, tomorrow and again this weekend maybe along with high winds. UGH. I don' think my foamy would handle 50+ mph wind gusts very well.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:41 PM
WhtBronco

Still no chance to maiden my Advantage bipe due to the weather, well the ice. There's no grass to be found to land on. If I mount landing gear on it then I could land on the street. So for now it's just hanging on the wall.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:14 PM
JohnVH

Wow, nice weather! yikes. Looking forward to hearing about its flight!
Old 02-25-2007, 08:42 AM
WhtBronco

Yesterday afternoon the weather was near perfect so I decided to try and put my Advantage bipe in the air. I did not have a good range check at first, 19'. So I rerouted the antenna and the best I could get was 60'. Since I have a personal rule of not flying with a range check of less than 100', normally I get 125' - 150', I did not fly. Last night I swapped the JR 610UL Rx for a Berg 7P. Of course today it's snowing, with freezing rain expected later.

I should have performedd the range check previously, but I had told myself it would be fine since the entire electronics system was installed in another plane recently for 3 years with no trouble. Figfures I was wrong, but I'm glad I checked.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:00 PM
HPIracer4

sry to hear about your range check and now bad weather again. i hardly ever do a range check with the foamies, but im going to make sure i do with the tibouron. i got my pieces yesterday from john, so sometime this week i will have it built (with pics of course :-)) and hopefully get this flying at the dome i fly at during the winter. hopefully ull run into some better weather!
Old 02-25-2007, 09:45 PM
WhtBronco

A dome, sweet. It's a double edge sword. I really like snow, it just causes problems for flying planes with no landing gear. Otherwise I just land in the street after it's plowed or on my driveway when I don't have time to hit the field.

I always do a range check and I generally have my kids help me. I want my kids to be safe since they fly with me, and I don't want my club to lose trust in my girls. I lost planes as a teenager on the first flight due to radio issues and a lack of preflight checks, but not 1 since I started following most of the suggested safety checks. During potentially excessive preflight checks I have found some major issues, mostly with my helis however.

I had big radio issues with my Skeeter 30 using Hitec HS-55 servos with my JR radio system. I ended up with a Hitec Rx to resolve it, but will soon swap that for a Berg 7P as well, since I wasn't going to donate my Raptor 50's 9 channel PCM to the 14oz plane. I tried 6 different JR Rx's(1 new 610UL) and only the PCM's didn't glitch out of control with the Hitec servos. I am gonna stick with JR and Futaba servos in the future.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:11 PM
JohnVH

I never try to get as much range from a foamy as I do my big planes, you dont fly them as far away is my theory, but looking forward to a report!
Old 02-26-2007, 01:46 PM
WhtBronco

True we do keep them close by, but since I fly in my cul-de-sac I like to make sure I reduce risk as much as possible. I'd say I rarely fly park flyers more than 150' away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.