Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

FLITON - AJ Extra 330S "Build thread"

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

FLITON - AJ Extra 330S "Build thread"

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 06:27 PM
papajeff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLITON - AJ Extra 330S "Build thread"

Well, I just have to tell all you "AJ Extra"fanatics out there in RCU land that, as an OLD Dinosaur Grandpa, I am really surprised that all of you Young GUN 3D flyers have not thought to do a build thread. Soooooooooo, I am just going to have to do it, right here and now!!!!! Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh! Now, ARE YOU ALL READY..........OK......THEN LET`S GET IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all, let`s get something straight right from the get go......FLITON is pronounced as follows: FLIGHT - ON and thank you for your attention to this factoid. Now, I incourage any of you AJ guys to jump in and give an old dog some assistance any time that you have something to add. I`ll start with some basic photos tomorrow and we should have some fun and learn a bunch from each other, all right.......let`s go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 07:45 PM
pappy35

Default RE: FLITON - AJ Extra 300 "Build thread"

My first tip is to replace the wing tube. I witnessed a failure this weekend where the tube buckled about an inch inside the fuselage. The pilot was pulling out of a dive but it was not dramatic. Thirty degree downline then pull to horizontal - SNAP! Finished.

Examining the tube afterwards, I was shocked at how thin-walled it is. I didn't have calipers with me but if the tube-wall was thicker than a soda-straw I'd be surprised. It's a really nicely made airplane but I think this is one place they should not have tried to save a few grams.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:59 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there is already a build thread below.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:34 AM
papajeff

I did see TAILDRAGGER726, which I found very interesting, but I just thought to do the "traditional" build with photos and such to elicit the other AJ guys to jump in as their build experience would be invaluable and make the thread a lot of fun. If there is another build, please direct me to it and I will cease and desist or maybe add to it.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:58 PM
papajeff

pappy35,

Thanks for the heads up on the wing tube! I will check my AJ and let you know if the tube is as thin as your friends was. See, we've started to accomplish something positive already and this thread has hardly started. I'm just waiting to hear from airraptor again to find out where that other
RCU build thread is so I don't step on anyone's toes by continuing on this one. If you know where it is, please inform me. Thanks again for your tip!
Old 06-28-2007, 11:06 AM
papajeff

ORIGINAL: pappy35

My first tip is to replace the wing tube. I witnessed a failure this weekend where the tube buckled about an inch inside the fuselage. The pilot was pulling out of a dive but it was not dramatic. Thirty degree downline then pull to horizontal - SNAP! Finished.

Examining the tube afterwards, I was shocked at how thin-walled it is. I didn't have calipers with me but if the tube-wall was thicker than a soda-straw I'd be surprised. It's a really nicely made airplane but I think this is one place they should not have tried to save a few grams.

Well, I did check the wing tube on the AJ that I just received and found that it is a carbon fiber tube with a wall-thickness of 0.011", ID of
0.440" and OD of 0.451". It sure seemed strong enough to withstand any series of 3D manuevers. Has your friend contacted Fliton regarding this issue?
Old 06-28-2007, 08:06 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its now on page not sure if a build thread but it does have 90+ posts
Old 06-28-2007, 09:21 PM
papajeff

ORIGINAL: airraptor

its now on page not sure if a build thread but it does have 90+ posts
I checked again with a search of all forums for the AJ Extra 330S and found no build thread, yet I did see Taildragger726 from this past Feb with about 90 posts, as you had mentioned. I'm going to forge ahead and wecome any of those guys to jump right in and I believe that it will make for a very interesting and informative thread. We shall see, right???
Old 06-28-2007, 09:41 PM
papajeff

It may seem simplistic, but every model has to be packed properly in order to be shipped somewhere. And, when the Fliton AJ Extra box was opened......the packaging looked like a great deal of thought was put into getting this excellent model to the Hobbbist in perfect condition. Just take a look!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64171.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	713264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84359.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	713265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56359.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	713266  
Old 06-28-2007, 10:31 PM
papajeff

I would personally like to thank #63,whomever #63 may be, because every part that was individually bagged had the number 63 on it. This would make anyone receiving this model extremely confident that someone took a lot of effort to make sure that everything is complete and in proper condition. This was certainly the case with my AJ Extra!

Once all the parts were checked to make sure that none were missing, using the construction manual as a guide since there was a complete parts list, it was noticed that the manual was very organized, informative, logical, easily understood, and contained numerous photos of each and every construction step, and even included a Table of Contents! This is unusual, to say the least, but very welcomed.

Now, there's this little package of lasercut parts that looks like a jigsaw puzzle and goes together like one, and it's the Fliton signature "EasyUp" motor mount. I just could not resist........so let's start with the little puzzle-motor mount.

Oh, one more thing, I could not help this either.........I had to..... kind of .......you know......place the parts together......just to see what it would look like......eventhough I have seen dozens & dozens of photos of the AJ Extra over the past several months!!!!!!!

Name:	Ig12282.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	713297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99552.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	713298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91518.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	713299  
Old 06-29-2007, 08:50 AM
papajeff

At this point it might be wise to give some basic specifications for the AJ Extra 330S, so keeping in line with FLITON'S current motto:

"WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL"

Designed by: Andrew "the Animal" Jesky to be the best large-scale parkflyer available to execute 40% size performance!
Wingspan: 50.40"
Length: 49.60"
Wing Area: 465"sq.
Weight w/o battery: 29-30oz.
Flying Weight: 46-50oz.
Skill Level: Int.-Adv.
Recommended: 4 Ch radio w/4 micro servos
Brushless outrunner motor
Brushless ESC
LiPo battery
6 Ch receiver
Old 06-29-2007, 10:52 AM
chazdraves

Default RE: FLITON - AJ Extra 330S "Build thread"

Thanks for doing a build thread. I'm curious to see it come together!

- Chaz
Old 06-29-2007, 08:23 PM
papajeff

Hey Chaz, I'm pleased that you are interested in the AJ build and I hope to stimulate involvement from other RCU members who may have some experience with this fine model. We'll try to make it fun too!

It is a little out of the order suggested by the construction manual, but let's do the motor mount first. The lasercut ply pieces do fit like a little jigsaw puzzle and is Fliton's signature "EasyUP" motor mount. It is light weight, yet strong enough to properly support a high performance brushless motor with right thrust built in. Take your time and lay out all the parts as shown below because the photos in the instruction booklet are a little faint. It is also suggested that you dry fit all the parts together first, as shown in the instructions. You may need to use a little sand paper (an emery board works great) if some of the parts fit too tight as some of mine did.

Now, if all is in order, it is suggested to tack the motor mount together using (ZAP) regular CA, but use the CA sparingly because you really want to use a 5 minute epoxy (Z-POXY) on all the joints and edges to insure a strong and stable "cage" assembly. Several thin layers of epoxy is much better than one thick Glop (a technical term), also it is recommended to avoid Gorilla glue because it can be a mess when it expandes as it dries! Don't we all know it??????

Name:	Vt56230.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	713759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12527.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	713760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94379.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	327.6 KB
ID:	713761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50323.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	713762  
Old 06-30-2007, 07:55 AM
Taildragger726

Cool papajeff,looks like you are doing it right! It will be interesting to see what you do with the landing gear attach blind nuts and tailwheel. I have two FG edition AJ Extras coming from Fliton and will incorperate all kinds of cool stuff learned from these threads. I saw a really neat mod, the rudder servo was mounted in the bottom of the fuse, at the rear with a direct pushrod.( like the Mini-Inspire) This allows you mount your battery a little more foward,,,, so your Deans connectors can be accessed through the bottom of the cowl. No need to remove the hatch to plug in batteries. Think about that.

Tony
Old 06-30-2007, 08:53 PM
papajeff

Tony,

All right, thanks for your vote of confidence, Tony. I hope to be successful in my attempt to add some interesting concepts and ideas
to incorporate into the build of the AJ Extra. You and your pals, who have already built and flown several AJ's, have done an excellent job of posting your comments and suggestions for all of us FLITON addicts. We have benefited from your threads and appreciate your
efforts!!!! Please, do not hesitate to add and/or correct at any time. Your experience will be welcomed.

Mad Max and the FG crew did promise to get me an FG-AJ when they become available, yet I could not wait that long and was fortunate to get the normal AJ from Edson for this build and review. I hope make this AJ anything but normal, so just keep an eye on good old Papa Jeff and make sure that I take my medication daily as we go thru this build. Thank you for your support!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Taildragger726

OK Papajeff, not gonna let you fall off the page......ready for updates
Old 07-10-2007, 09:26 PM
papajeff

ORIGINAL: Taildragger726

OK Papajeff, not gonna let you fall off the page......ready for updates

Yes, I have been out of commission for a few weeks, but now..............I'M BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ohhhhhhhhhhh........Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
I will make up for lost time and I will have a few interesting concepts to present, so I'm back on track and we'll get started tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Kwesdog

This airplane is awesome. I finished one about a month and a half ago and I am very impressed by how it flys. This plane and my GW E3D are a must in the van everytime I go out to the field.

Harry
Old 07-11-2007, 04:41 PM
papajeff

ORIGINAL: Kwesdog

This airplane is awesome. I finished one about a month and a half ago and I am very impressed by how it flys. This plane and my GW E3D are a must in the van everytime I go out to the field.

Harry

All right, I had the same feeling about the AJ Extra, when I saw it. Feel free to jump in with any info, as you have the experienced the build and,
obviously, the flying also!
Old 07-11-2007, 05:03 PM
papajeff

OK, now back to where we were with the motor mount. Once the "cage" was dry fit and the little puzzle became somewhat familiar, take it all apart and start all over again. First epoxy (ZAP has always worked best for me) the two-piece front end, let's just call this the bulkhead,
together. Rough up, with a file or some coarse sandpaper, both surfaces that will be glued together so the epoxy can really grab! Now, just clamp!

Take a look at this photo.....you want to talk about OVERKILL! So, sometimes I go a little overboard.

Name:	Ec87185.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	720965  
Old 07-11-2007, 05:12 PM
papajeff

Now, just continue to put the pieces together again, but this time tack glue with, a few drops of CA, the pieces just to hold everything together. Be sure to follow the assembly sequence noted in the instruction manual as it is accurate, logical and the photos are great!

Name:	Sq47339.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	720966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24852.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	720967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12670.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	720968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30923.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	720969  
Old 07-11-2007, 05:38 PM
papajeff

More of the motor mount assemble sequence. Once the puzzle is completed and tacked with CA, just take your time and epoxy every joint and seam. Go slow and light on the coverage of the epoxy so the finished motor mount "cage" looks good! You don't want globs of glue all over the structure, right? It's better to let the finished cage cure overnight before you attach it to the fuselage.

Name:	Xv65063.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	720982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28423.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	720983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57382.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	720984  
Old 07-11-2007, 10:17 PM
papajeff

Now that the cage has cured overnight, you can safely attach it to the fuselage. Here again, FLITON has designed an excellent locking hook and slot concept, as shown in the photo below. It's goof-proof, for sure! Just slide the plywood hooks, part of the "EasyUP" motor mount, into the designated slots on the firewall. Now, gently push the entire cage assembly down about 1/8", which locks the hooks in place and , of course, properly positions the complete motor mount cage. Then apply epoxy (thin & carefully) to all of the joints and seams and yes, let it dry thoroughly
preferably overnight.

Name:	Lg17649.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	721168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58089.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	721169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo34937.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	721170  
Old 07-13-2007, 08:56 PM
papajeff

I was looking at those great looking landing gear legs and I just could not help attaching the wheels. I know that it is out of order, but what harm can it do as long as we get back to basics and continue the build by following the instruction manual as it is really well done. OK, so I found two blue spoked wheels and now I don't have to use those yellow ones that came with the AJ(no disrespect, Edson). There is no big deal in attaching the wheels as you can see in the photos. Notice that I did add just one more washer on the outside of the wheel, which goes on the threaded axel just before the locking cap nut. I just think that it will allow the wheels to track better, especially on grass.

Name:	Nl29453.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	722316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12575.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	722317  
Old 07-13-2007, 09:45 PM
papajeff

Well, now set the landing gear legs aside and we are going to prep the fuselage,which gets us back to the sequence in the manual. Basic prep is cutting the openings in the fuselage for the main wing tube and allignment pins, the wing servos, the landing gear legs, the pull-pull rudder wires
and the exhaust vent holes for cooling. The instructions state to "cut out" the openings and that is an acceptable method, but another concept is to cut some slits, with a razor knife, and then tack them in with your "trim" sealing iron. It just makes for a neater appearance and avoids the possibility of the covering edge pealing away. Just another option and it's up to you as you look at the photos below.

Name:	Us52744.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	722378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41475.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	722379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20748.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	722380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18696.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	722381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95282.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	722382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro42001.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	722383  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.