Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

New-------E-Flite Sobre 3d Profile-F3P~~~~~~~

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

New-------E-Flite Sobre 3d Profile-F3P~~~~~~~

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 06:50 PM
troposcuba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New-------E-Flite Sobre 3d Profile-F3P~~~~~~~

mine with the following setup: park 370 1080 kv, 20 a ESC, e-flight rs75's and either a TP 11.1v 730 mAh or TP 11.1v 1320 mAh. after some minor repairs (found out my flying space was not large enough to learn this plane) it comes out to 10.43 oz. or 11.83 oz. depending on which battery. so i don't know if that qualifies as a "heavy" or not.

seems to fly well for the brief time it was in the air. i think i will try it outside tomorrow if it is calm till I get the hang of it a bit more. it flies faster than i expected. I attempted to fly it in our C-130 indoor washrack. just large enough to fit a full size C-130, but there were obstacles in there which limited the useful space to about half that. so not making any excuses, but I need to get a better handle on this thing before i attempt to fly it indoors again. being on the heavy side of things, i think that may be why things were moving a bit fast for me.

fwiw i fly a .40 SSE with an OS .55AX and a fun 51 with a super tiger G .45, so i have a bit of experience with fast moving aerobatic (glow) planes. of course they take up a lot of space quickly, but this is my first electric, so i didn't really know what to expect. I might have just been a bit overzealous with the left stick!
Old 11-14-2007, 12:03 PM
longfellow

I have a few hours on this aircraft now, and have flown it in some strong and gusty winds and appreciate its stability. It does wing rock a little more than the Outrage in harrier, but it is the best I've ever flown for a snap bank and yank 180 from a downwind full power run.
It has one curious trait I do not like though, it really tucks the wing down that you give rudder towards.
The rudder hinge line is 90 degrees to the aircraft roll axis so I find it confounding that it would react in this way.

I see from your specs that you have a powerful ship as well. I can't imagine flying in such a confined space without a lot of work on consistant impact avoidance.

Good Flying, longfellow
Old 11-15-2007, 01:19 AM
troposcuba

yeah, i guess i watched too many vids of the guys rocking the foamies in way small spaces. guess i will have to wring it out a bit and get to where i can hover on a dime before i try it indoors again. i know they all look the same, but here's a couple pics of mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16124.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	804141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34173.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	804142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48416.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	804143  
Old 11-17-2007, 11:09 PM
troposcuba

well here's the update. it was windy (about 15 mph steady straight down the runway) today. so i flew the glow powered planes for a while. after i packed up a buddy showed up and proceeded to crash 2 of the 3 planes that he was making maiden flights with today. so after that entertainment was done, the wind had gone dead calm about an hour before dark. the Sobre was in the backseat of the truck. having only had 2 unsuccessful indoor flights with it, i figured the time was at hand to try it in the great outdoors. well it flew great!! couldn't have flown better. what fun. i now have a much better handle on how this thing flies not to mention that my confidence in my ability to fly it is there now. if it is calm enough tomorrow, i will give it some more flight time outdoors tomorrow, and then give it another go indoors monday at work. sure is a fun plane to fly!!
Old 11-26-2007, 12:02 PM
longfellow

Glad to see you are enjoying the Sobre. I have several hours more of experimenting with computer settings and C G placement. It is a stark performance change for very little C G movement. It is a fun aircraft for sure. With forward C G it will fly in 15 MPH winds with style. 1/8 " aft and it will harrier with ease. I have selectable 125% negative flap with elevator mix for harrier, and it stopped the wing rock entirely.
Any wind at all and I do not want flaps for landing as it is better to have a clean penetrating profile than the susceptability to gusts with flaps. That is what broke the fragile landing gear for me to learn. I now have a hybrid gear with wire lower and braced carbon fibre upper strut.
With all the extra epoxy and bracing, I am just over 12 oz with the 1320 mah battery.

Good Flying, Longfellow
Old 12-04-2007, 01:59 AM
hobbydude214
My Feedback: (13)

shouldnt this plane be more around 7.5oz? 12oz would exceed the lift. why would you use flaps in a hover? maybe in a harrier, hmm not sure on this one, 15mph seems like a lot of wind to really judge what this plane can do.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Dyehard

I assembled a Sobre about three weeks ago, with the wind blowing everday I've only managed about six or seven flights on it. Mine came in at 8.83 onces with a 300 class motor and a 730 mill three cell pack and no side force generators. At that weght it would hover, but without a lot of reserve. At 9.5 onces with a 900 mil pack, it would only hover at full throttle and as the charge dropped, it wouldn't hold a hover. By changing to a 370 size moter, it gained a half ounce weight, but has at least 50% more thrust. It now climbs out of a completely verticle hover with authority. The literature on the box claimed a finished weight of 8 to 9.5 onces, so mine at 9.5 onces with the 730 mill pack is in the ball park. At that weight I get absolutely no wing rock in high alpha. It doesn't fly any where near as good as a Reflection or the Dive I just completed, but it still flys fair. At twelve onces or more I imagine it would fly like a dog.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:59 PM
hobbydude214

it would probably fly better then both if it was lighter, i know you are in the ball park but probably 6.5 to 7oz would be best weight for it. id use a 450mah pack with it
Old 12-06-2007, 07:34 AM
Dyehard

True, but it would be quite hard to drop that much weight. With the 300 motor, to SFGs and no wheel pants, it came in at 8.83 onces. Dropping from 7.5 gram servoes to 6 gram servos and going with a TP 480 three cell pack would only drop the weight around .8 onces, still over 8 onces total. As it is I get considerably longer flight times, with a larger part of the flight with a higher output from the battery. I'll live with the slight extra weight.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:30 PM
hobbydude214

yes stock there is not much you can do. Id probably get rid of some of the carbon fiber and use fishing line as flying wires. yours is probably the best out of most of the people on this thread with theirs coming in around 12oz thats wayyy to heavy i think we can both agree.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:45 PM
troposcuba

well the carbon fibre landing gear didn't like the rough grass i where i fly. even harrier in and rolling about 6" on the landing was too much for it. just snapped it off when one of the wheels hit a hole in the grass. so the good news is that now that it is wheel-less, mine with the 730mah and the 370 falls right at 10oz. flies like a champ. really not much worse with the 1320mah in it putting it at about 11.4oz. and it'l fly all day like that. I like this plane. course it's my first foamie (and first electric) so i really don't have anything to compare to other than all the glow stuff i fly. but still a lot of fun to fly.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:57 PM
longfellow

Flying these aircraft as heavy as we have does take the toll on the original landing gear. The trade off is wind stability and durability. I can see where a lightly built Sobre would not fly nearly as often as mine does unless it was indoors. I've seen videos of the light ones and they are of course more graceful and floaty than this "basher" , but everything in aviation design is a trade off. It is a "basher" but it bashes well, fun, and fast with no flutter.
If I wanted a "floater" perhaps the new E-Flite Enticement at 5 oz. would be a fine entry.
That's the great thing about these aircraft. By design and modification we can all have what we want.
Good Flying, Longfellow
Old 12-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

some Sobre

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26476.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	833429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46185.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	833430  
Old 03-27-2008, 10:11 PM
HoverLoW

Hey guys,

I my Sobré will fly tomorrow with the following setup. Do you think will it work??

AXI 2212/26 SILVER
JETI Advance PLUS 12A
Tower Pro 9g servos
Berg receiver 7CH
THUNDER POWER 11.1V/1320mha
APC prop 10x3.8

Thanks
Old 03-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Going to be heavy... why are a few people trying to use a 1320 on a 6oz plane?

My sobre review is here on rcu and the plane came in a 6.3 oz before battery. I like to fly it with a 480 or 730 max.. 730 will give you a good long flight and still be light. This plane flies so much better if you can keep it as light as possible.. I have had 3 of them, I fly it all the time.. just love it!

Get rid of the 1320 and use a lighter battery. There is also no reason to go larger than a Park 300 and an 8x3.8 prop... more than enough power to do anything you want.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:48 PM
zenairplane

Default RE: New-E-Flite Sobre 3d Profile-F3P~~~~~~~

I just finished mine today. e-flight 6 gram servos, park 300, 10 amp esc, and electrifly 640 3 cell lipo and a apc 8x3.8 on spectrum 6100 rx and JR 9303 2.4 tx. This plane flies awesome. It floats like a feather and is very stable. It is not overpowered but still hovers at half throttle. I put in four flights today outside and it just flies great. I have an e-flight extra 260 foamy as well that I thought flew great but I like this one better because it knife edges so well. I have gone through a lot of foamies learning how to 3D and this is the best. I didn't find any bad habits except for the breeze sometimes pushing it around and i was soon hovering right off the grass. These planes are great. I was also flying my H9 cap 232G with a DA 50 which I am afraid to hover below about 200 feet because of the money invested. Both are fun but knowing that a screw up will only cost a little more than one prop on the DA is liberating. I have become a much better pilot with my foamies.I am now flying mostly gas and electric and moving away from glow. Nothing wrong with glow but the mess is just not fun. I do like the electrics but there is nothing more exciting than a gasser screaming and going vertical to get the blood flowing.

It sounds like some are just overdoing the plane. The 6g servos are fine and you don't need to overpower them because they just flutter (my extra 260 has a bigger motor with more vertical but for a plane like this it is just wasted).

Nice plane and it goes together fast.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:48 AM
MJ-MERLIN

im using the park 370 with the hollow shaft (i did have VPP on it)
and am using 900mah 3 cell and it flys great !
all up weight was about 320 grams.
built it for outdoor flight

[link]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=o5GNV-WjRxA[/link]
Old 06-19-2008, 12:28 PM
zenairplane

Looks like a good combo. I have been flying mine a lot lately as the winds stopped blowing here in Kansas after a tornado came through last week. I bought two electrifly 640 3 cells at 15c from tower for $19 each and they are giving over 10 minute flights so my fun lasts a long time. Given that a similar size eflight battery sets you back $37 that is a great deal.

A friend asked me last week how I liked my JR9303 2.4 and if I could tell a difference. On my big plane I didn't notice much but on the Sobre it is just amazing how much more precise the controls are compared to my eflight 260 profile with a similar setup. Control response is quick and very crisp. I have two s60 eflight servos on the ailerons and spectrum digitals on the elevator and rudder. 2.4 is cool.

Have fun.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:34 PM
HoverLoW

My Sobré hovering inside my garage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_kO0Pf-gis