Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

*Parkzone Typhoon 2 -Official Thread!*

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

*Parkzone Typhoon 2 -Official Thread!*

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 07:40 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *Parkzone Typhoon 2 -Official Thread!*

ORIGINAL: traxxboy

hi. I am thinking about getting into 3d. I like gracefull arobatics too. On low rates can t1 or t2 do a big nice loop. Thank you
Yes, they both can. Plus much more.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:19 PM
TNTtrucks

Just picked up a Typhoon 2 on Tue. at my LHS. 1st battery I noticed the motor cut out and a loss of control intermittently, where as described above in another post, it would turn left/right or dive/climb with not input. There was a slight wind (5-10mph) so I didn't return it, but I thought about returning it! Wished I would've after the next day! Not being my 1st plane you learn to see some things coming maybe, but wanting to give it a totally honest try/review, I kept it. My second mistake other than buying it. Not to bash, but seriously, put your money into a super zoom (upcoming flash) or airfoilz 540 etc. and don't hate yourself for feeling like a sucker later! There's plenty of deals to be had (classifieds, ebay, lhs, etc.) to put a nice setup together without spending much more than on this r.t.f. glitch machine.
Anyway, I went to test again the next day with a known 'good' battery from my heli and dead calm wind. Same exact performance! With the speed of a 3d plane's reactions, keep some height with the Typhoon 2 or you are asking for a crash with the included electronics. Any low knife-edges, prop hangs, etc. along with this glitchy plane... well... you're asking for a meeting with the ground or some fun trying to save it from it's own moves!
The tail is weak and broke easily right under the plastic insert to hold the elevator fin with a 5ft prop hang fall when the motor cut out, although it came back on upon hitting the ground. There definitely seems to be an issue with the throttle as it seems to hold steady if you don't move it, but adjust it around, and it cuts in/out quite often. At full throttle just cruising around it only happens about every 45 seconds/90 seconds at least.

One positive thing... it glued back together well! The plastic tab that hold the wings 'in' or together with a small screw is really thin/weak also.

Just my 2cents...
Old 07-14-2007, 10:42 AM
flyingace451

oh boy, different stickers and sfg's, isnt that what everyone is doin these days
Dude can you ever be nice about anything? This is the third thread I've seen you bashing something. It really screws up our forum when you do that, so stop being a troll and take your attitude somewhere else

Well I wondered how parkzone managed to make the T2 only 10 dollars more than the T1 even with the SFG's and digital servos, and I guess they saved it by putting in a crappy reciever. I hate it when companies do that, we would so much rather pay the 30 dollars more for a glitch free plane, than pay the cheaper money for a problem plane. Has anyone flown this plane and not experienced the glitches?
Old 07-14-2007, 11:45 AM
TNTtrucks

Actually my RX is completely dead now. Just stopped all control whatsoever sitting on the ground? Although I wouldn't say it ever worked correctly in the first place, it did work sporadically. No response now after the ESC beeps, even to re-program.
How discouraging, as it was fun to fly for the moments it worked and in-between the glitches. I went from thinking I would pick up a quick to fly, fun & capable 3d plane (that could share my stack of Trex batteries) to realizing I bought a disposable plane, a 'r.t.f.p.o.s' if you will. [:'(]

Maybe I'm being to harsh on the Typhoon 2 and am only feeling the 'normal' consequence of buying a rtf plane? That is possible! I don't want to make any decision for anyone on what they buy, just give my experience with what I bought. I had heard good things about the Stryker's, hence me buying this plane without worry. Maybe I should've worried or at least hit the forums! Still, my trex has been worth every penny and more when needed, without doubt! So have my cars/trucks, some of which were rtr and well worth it. If my standards are too high, sorry to post negatives, but I'll leave that for anyone who's reading up on the T2 to decide. Good luck and flying to you all.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:15 PM
alabama

Actually my experience with the typhoon 2 was very good... I love this plane! I have not experienced any glitches what so ever. And everything works better then ever so far.

Mat
Old 07-14-2007, 09:29 PM
bldrums

I have flown my T23D only 3 times , no problems at all and the plane performs , power and handling, better than I had expected.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:31 PM
alabama

Same hear!
Old 07-15-2007, 01:36 PM
TNTtrucks

I like it when it flies myself and repairs were easy glue ups. No complaints there, it does perform! OK power to weight, good flight times, gentle/slow glide rate to land. The sfg's actually helped with knife-edge stability too. Hence my complaints come from the electronics hurting the efforts of a good flying plane. Nothing ruins a day quicker than mechanical failure crashes in my opinion, although it's part of the game. Yet with my heli's I've never had a mechanical failure yet and 100's of flights. Knock on wood eh... I can swallow my own stupidity or dumb thumbs easier for some reason? I may be too harsh as I've said, but a $5k stereo receiver will sound like total garbage through $50 poorly made speakers. That sums up my experience with the Typhoon 2. Maybe I should've held back a bit longer, as I think it's just the electronics... which is still their product... and after reading more seems to have given the 1st typhoon a black eye also. If I had known this, I would've held back and figured it par for course.

Problem Fix: After more investigation I found out it wasn't the esc, but the top left spring switch on the controller. It didn't work well from day one as the spring in it felt sloppy/weak. Not knowing what it was and nothing in the manual, I just wrote it off. Ends up it's wired up & cuts out all tx output. Just shaking the tx a bit with loose/bad switch would/could effect performance I would guess? This is what caused the dead esc issue I ran into as mentioned in the above post. Wiggling the switch I could get the esc to come on. Pressing and holding it in and the esc would stay on. Popped the controller cut the blue and black wire to the switch, connected them, and voila, esc booted up. Control was back solid. Test on the ground and a flight showed it was solid control now with my other batteries!
I had hoped this would end all the troubles I've had but the original battery still cuts out now and again (3-6 times per flight) although my other batteries gave power the entire flight, no motor shut off's or glitches! Just good fun flying. Their battery never heats up above 120 and charges/balances fine so...? This doesn't bother me too bad, a rtf with just that issue wouldn't be that big a deal. It's just a shame when you've had to glue up a new plane 3 times through no fault of your own outside of better 'save' skills. Plus seeing it drop in with no control or ability to even try a save can make you cringe. But hey, experience is experience, it doesn't care about cost or expectations. I still like flying it and just stay 20ft plus with their battery and I'm fine.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:53 PM
flyingace451

So you are saying to anyone that has experienced the glitching issue to just use some good standard lipos and it should be fine? Sounds good to me! Maybe Parkzone will raise the quality a bit on their batteries? You catching this Dribbe?
Old 07-16-2007, 01:17 AM
okatex

Well the glitches are a problem, at least for me and unfortunately for a few others. I tried reprogramming the ESC and still no fix. I am pretty sure that the RCVR is just too susceptible to interference for a plane with this level of precision and sensitivity. Some on the forum have experienced it, some have not, all flying at different location (I’ll assume). When I fly at higher altitudes the problem seems to occur more often, where RF propagation is less inhibited. So it seems that where you fly, and perhaps combined with altitude, determine the level of interference. Just some brainstorming here, as I am planning to fly at few other places see what happens. One place is way out in the boonies, but RF is ever-present, so we’ll see. I do love the way this one flies, excellent in that category. My sincere advice would be to keep this baby up a bit untill your sure she’s not got a mind of her own ... LOL..
Old 07-16-2007, 11:50 AM
bldrums

Sorry if this is a duplicate post. I lost internet connection ( typical with Comcast )
Question concerning charger:

Is the message "balancing " supposed to go off before you disconnect battery?

Has anyone used there A/mkt charger to charge the PZ batteries
Old 07-16-2007, 11:54 AM
nuketroop

Hi all,

I’ve flown the T2 with Oakatex the other day. I think we had much better flying, but still some glitches. Seems the faster/higher up you are the more glitch prone it is. I have some land I’ll try flying in today and see what I get with RFI. Good news, the motor cutouts are gone. I went to E-Flite and got the manual for their 25amp ESC and got the missing data needed to re-program it. Highly recommended. No more cutouts after that.

It does fly well. Very maneuverable.. Will find out today (hopefully), about the RFI.

Cheers,

-Tom
Old 07-16-2007, 01:56 PM
alabama

Hey TNTtrucks i think i am also experiencing the same probleme or maybe its a different one... Who knows! But my plane was ready for landing and all of a sudden a ghust of wind fliped it inverted...so no big deal ill just flip it back but NO!!!!!! The engine cut off and them eather the plane wasent going fast enough to responed to the elron signals i was sending or they were not working( my battery was fully charged and i only had about a 3 min flight) So CRASH!!! nose first into a rock... Well thats ok i can just fix it but i am eather experiencing some sort of glitches or interference or maybe its that probleme with the Tx...
What did you do with your Tx for the problemes you had?????
If anyone else can recommend something to me I would be gratefull!!!!

Mat [&o]
Old 07-16-2007, 07:30 PM
TNTtrucks

Seems the faster/higher up you are the more glitch prone it is.
I have to agree myself after today that it's distance and possible other interference from cell,high volt, towers etc. Didn't think of it, but I was flying in a much smaller field my last 3 flights, but back at my large field today... glitches! Most, but not all sadly, were at the far ends or higher up for some practice. Trying to get some knife edge spins per my new BYflyer mag and even holding control input through the manuver it did violenty jerk out a few times (at different points, top, middle, etc.), although I tried several. I did get some nice inverted flat spins out of trying that looked cool to me. Either weak holding servo or glitching I was guessing, but since it has a semi gentle entry and I noticed it there, I leaned more to a glitch. Had 2 motor cutouts on the 1 and only batt., go wind, so I'll re-program my esc too. Thanks for the info.

alabama, I just opened my transmitter and connected the blue and black wire's (only ones) going to the top left (viewed from front) spring loaded switch. My switch was faulty and didn't work as it just flopped around and I'm sure it was causing cut-outs on me after testing. So by connecting the wires I effectively removed the switch and since I don't ever need to cut all transmitter output, I didn't replace the switch, just bypassed it. I wouldn't worry unless your switch doesn't spring back or work smoothly.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:26 PM
r1derbike

Just ordered one of these from HobbyZone (PNP), with free shipping. I just fixed my "older" Typhoon (broken nose repair) for the last time. It is getting WAY too nose heavy from all the repairs. "The ol' gray mare just ain't what she used to be!"

Honestly, this little foam el-cheapo of an airplane has given me more 3D pleasure than any other aircraft I own, which is 14, last count.

This plane is made for low-to-the-ground stupid 3D stuff. So what if it breaks? Break it often, and save the big birds! That's my motto!

An old-timer told me years ago, "if you're not crashin', you're not learnin'.

How true.

BTW, I'm flying Xtreme Power Systems 2.4 Ghz modules with Futaba Super-7 transmitter cases in most of my favorite aircraft now...no glitches, no worries, no pain...

Charles
Old 07-18-2007, 07:51 PM
TNTtrucks

Well I'm still having issues! This time on the 2nd battery a hard left took the plane down. Even with full right aileron it barely came out level'ish before I hit the ground semi-soft at least and level. The left wing servo was extremely hot and smelled of electrical something burning/burnt. The servo was in full travel and locked down. Once I pulled it, I saw the gears were fine, but the tiny chip in it had a smoked yellow wire and smelled burnt. The motor works but it can't find center I don't think? It just spins until the post locks it up.

Guess what the best part is! There aren't any servo's anywhere for replacement! The part number finds nothing, the servo number finds nothing but a metal gear set. So if anyone knows where I can get another replacement servo part pkz1090, please post it. Again, at least it glues back together well... you really need to be a masochist for this plane, it's a love/hate, pleasure/pain cycle I've never had with any other plane/heli! For the price, I should just give it up and move on, but I guess I'm stubborn, but not for much longer!

This plane is made for low-to-the-ground stupid 3D stuff. So what if it breaks? Break it often, and save the big birds! That's my motto!
If you were using your rx anyway, the airfoilz and super zoom or similar these days (aka foamy's) are the same but much better 3d planes imho. Lighter, better power to weight, etc. etc. if you already have the radio (biggest cost for most outside of plane/parts) a setup combo ready to go except rx airfoilz plane is only 259.00! (reviewed very well here on RCU) Have you got one of these in your fleet r1derBike? I'd like to hear your opinion if you do! Thnx.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:10 PM
r1derbike

if you already have the radio (biggest cost for most outside of plane/parts) a setup combo ready to go except rx airfoilz plane is only 259.00! (reviewed very well here on RCU) Have you got one of these in your fleet r1derBike? I'd like to hear your opinion if you do! Thnx.
I'm going to win the AirFoilz Bipe contest! Why buy?

The PNP ParkZone Typhoon2 is only 159.00. 100 bucks cheaper. Those radios included with the typhoon RTF, are not good. I had trouble with one of the two. Horizon Hobby was super about sending a replacement receiver, though, and they gave super service when problems arose with my F27C, too.

ALL the RTF aircraft I have bought needed to be checked-over with a fine-toothed comb. They are just slap-dashed together in China. Saving grace is their low price.

Other servos will work in the typhoon, lots of guys using the HS81s. I don't know what an equivalent digital, metal-geared servo would be for the new typhoon, though. Mine will be here tomorrow, I'll check then.

Charles
Old 07-19-2007, 10:42 AM
kf6gub
My Feedback: (1)

Anyone try flying without the front landing gear? thx Jim
Old 07-19-2007, 11:33 AM
TNTtrucks

I'm going to win the AirFoilz Bipe contest! Why buy?
I wouldn't buy one either then! I doubt I'll be winning anything soon, but I've got one on the way so I'll see. The edge, not a bipe.

For $159 that isn't too bad minus battery, rx, tx. The esc is the only 'truly' re-usable part to me anyway. All of my plane checked out good... visually... Even went to check pinion gear mesh only to find out there wasn't an adjustment or chance of being off. It does go together well/easily though.
Glad they helped you out! I've heard if you ship them the part and they test it and say it's bad, they'll send you a new one. Only takes a couple weeks to over a month I've read, well, + your shipping cost. Never owned anything by pz till now, but most other companies will do the same for defects, but like at the field, postmortem 'was something defective' evals can be varied! The stryker was rated well so I didn't hesitate on the Typhoon2. Now I'm not sure.

You can fly without the front landing gear to belly it into grass. Might not want to run the sfg's for belly landings?
Old 07-19-2007, 01:14 PM
alabama

What im getting out of your posts is that if i would get a new radio( better one) the glitches would no longer be a probleme?????

Mat
Old 07-19-2007, 01:21 PM
alabama

Or is it the reciever or stock batteries that is the probleme???
All i want to do is solve the glitching probleme like everyone else... Can anyone help???

Mat
Old 07-19-2007, 01:53 PM
dribbe

TNT,

Servo....

Part # is correct as PKZ1090... am checking on the ETA.... retail is $13.99. (Very good for a digital metal gear servo).

Have Fun,
David
Old 07-19-2007, 02:21 PM
lucky9910
My Feedback: (27)

Just purchased typoon 2

Guys,

R u guys using the Side Force Generators on your Typoon 2? Cause i am & my knife edge sucks. I have never flown the plane without the Side Force Generators. Should i take them off? Also, my plane seems a little heavy with the Side Force Generators. I am more around 30oz, how about you guys.
Thank you Lucky
Old 07-19-2007, 06:33 PM
TNTtrucks

alabama, another radio should fix the glitches from what r1derbike says and other things I've read. My included 1800mah battery was 'puffed' after flight 6, top and bottom cells, the middle felt fine. . Other batteries are necessary for decent flying times at least. Basic thing is on any plane is really just finding something you want to stick with and put $ into to keep it going/flying.

Lucky9910, I flew without the sfg's first, plus I wanted a couple of landings without them 1st. My sfg's actually helped my knife edges? You shouldn't notice much if you take them off from what you're used to. Give it a try and see! Oh yeah, never weighed mine?

dribbe, I'm just gonna put one of my hs65's into something to size it up (I imagine the hs81's r1 mentioned are bigger?) so it will fit the fuse in back and move that dsv130m to the wing so they'll match up. I'll still want one of the stockers though and it's not a bad price if they don't smoke out this quickly which could've been my fault for sure. Mine has been put to hard use and hit the ground 3 times now! Ooops... The other wing servo has broken a servo arm but is still going strong, that's a positive! Thanks, btw!
Old 07-19-2007, 08:19 PM
flyingace451

Sorry if this is a duplicate post. I lost internet connection ( typical with Comcast )
Not to go off topic or anything, but we used to have Comcast in our house. Our area lost internet connection for days at a time every now and then, and it was really slow for a "highspeed" internet. We switched over to Bellsouth DSL which is still faster than our original Comcast and it doesn't lose connection on us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.