Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Typhoon 2 by ParkZone

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 11:19 PM
hap2bee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Typhoon 2 by ParkZone

I bought a typhoon 2 about 2 weeks ago. I got the rtf and decided to try it out at a local high school football field. I was using the stock radio, and it flew ok. I find that it stalls quick on the landing. You need to carry a little throttle into the landing or it just drops out of the sky. On the 3rd quick flight I found a light pole across the field. (I couldn't it if I tired, but I wasn't trying) The plane hit it straight on and chunks fell to the ground. I climbed over the fence and gathered up the pieces I could find. In the end the only real damage was the fuselage was broken in 3 pieces and the prop shaft was broken, and the cowl was shattered. The prop was still ok. Gorilla glue and a few hours of drying and a new prop shaft and cowl and it is back in the air. I swapped out the stock radio for JR equipment. I was flying it at about 8000 ft elevation and found that the 3d prop isn't up to it. It won't hang at this elevation. I went to the speed prop and it will hang, but just barely. I took off the front landing gear and started belly landing it. So much for the new cowl. This plane does a pretty good flat spin, and as I start to tune it with my 8310 radio it is starting to really fly well. I think I may have it just a touch tail heavy, it doesn't take any up elevator to fly inverted. My recommendation is get the pnp and put in your own recover and radio. Then you can program the throws and exponential for your own tastes.

Andy
Old 08-10-2007, 09:05 PM
r1derbike

The 'phoon2 is my 3rd 'phoon, and it will be my last. Inexcusable quality control. Link below, post #85. I only bought the PNP versions after my first 'phoon had radio trouble, which Horizon rectified immediately. I run my XPS 2.4 Ghz system in all my aircraft now.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_56...yphoon2/tm.htm

Buyer, beware!

Charles
Old 08-11-2007, 09:28 PM
fiveoboy01
My Feedback: (3)

I picked mine up on Thursday...

This thing wants to do nothing but snap out with any kind of moderate elevator application. Any attempt at a harrier or elevator results in a wingtip dropping hard.

It crabs sideways through the air. I've triple-checked all the control surfaces and did my best to trim everything.

Any suggestions are welcome. I'm using the stock setup.

Are you guys laying the battery flat in the tray, or upright?
Old 08-11-2007, 10:36 PM
r1derbike

Use 2100 ma. lipos secured upright.

High rates with max throws good for low altitude 3D or high altitude mayhem. Using high rates at high speed/low altitude just asking for trouble.

I fly my XPS modules (2.4 ghz) with my Futaba computer radio with lots of expo on high rates, so sticks are not as sensitive around center.

This IS a 3D airplane, and is very squirrely, just like it's supposed to be!

If flying in a crab, adjust enough trim on rudder to compensate. Plane is very sensitive to control inputs.

Charles
Old 08-12-2007, 06:40 PM
hap2bee

I have balanced my phoon now and it is pretty fun to fly. My problem is it really doesn't have enough power to pull out of a hover for my altitiude. I fly at about 6500 ft. Has anyone upgraded to an outrunner? If so, what did you use, and how is it working?

Andy
Old 08-12-2007, 06:44 PM
r1derbike

I fly at about 6500 ft.
Are you using the slow-fly prop?

Charles
Old 08-12-2007, 07:48 PM
hap2bee

Yep, I have used both props. I can get it to hang at about 85 to 90% throttle. It sure doesn't leave much left for a pull out. I found that when I fly at really high elevation about 8500 ft that the speed prop actually works better. I think this is because there is so little air that I need the extra speed to just keep it flying.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:55 AM
cjshaker

My Typhoon 2 is flying pretty well right now. Still on the first prop. I added a plain nut outboard of the existing locknut
to get the nut to bite into the back of the prop. It seems to me that the rounded front of the locknut lets the hex recess
in the back of the prop slip too easily. Maybe reversing the existing locknut would work as well?

The Castle 25 is rock solid on this airplane, and it is flying great with the Futaba FASST 6 channel radio. I've got polyurethane
glue on the back of the gear and shaft to bond them together to reinforce the gear hub. Since I did that, I haven't had to
change out a gear.

I was flying it on blacktop through three batteries with no failures the other day. Was windy, too, and I had some hard landings
and some small prop strikes, and nothing broke.

The airplane isn't that hard to dead stick. It seems to like neutral elevator, ie - I let the airplane sink at the speed it wants to
sink at, fly with rudder and ailerons, flare just a bit before touchdown. When I do it right, can get very smooth landings.

My local hobby shop still hasn't received replacements for the glitchy radios nor my toasted ESC.

Chris Shaker
Old 08-21-2007, 06:06 PM
mr.typhoon

does anyone know how i could modify my typhoon 2 so i could do arial drops
Old 08-21-2007, 08:01 PM
nitro fanatic

it has a 5th chanel so you should be able to figure it out. what are you trying to drop?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:15 PM
mr.typhoon

just simple stuff like weighted streamers, but i dont know what will actually drop them
Old 08-23-2007, 05:17 PM
nitro fanatic

i remember when i was a little kid. at the fun flys they had a j3 cub that would drop candy on the field. it had doors in the fuse that would open up, but you cant really do that with a typhoon. so you would proly have to make a box(cardboard or balsa), and rig the door to where the servo would hold it shut, and when you hit the switch. the servo would move, and the weight of whatevr you put in there will push the doors open.

or if you want to be REALLY simple just put a box on the top of the plane (open on the top) and just flip it inverted and it all will fall out
Old 08-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Flyin C

Any really good 3D pilots out their?

I want to get the T2, I will get the PnP version, but I would like to know what the opinions are of very experienced flyers.-
Thanks
Old 08-23-2007, 06:59 PM
XxOoCoBrAoOxX

If your not used to flying quick movent planes then this is not the plane for you.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Flyin C

I fly a wing and the PZ FW-190, I know I can fly it. I have a few hundred hours on my sim. I am not sher if I should invest in a better 3D plane, or if this plane would quench my 3D thirst? I have seen a lot if videos, but barley any of the vids have the T2 hovering...
Old 08-23-2007, 08:23 PM
r1derbike

Been flying over 20 years. Fly a Fliton AJ 330S, 1/4 scale 1.60 powered Extra 300, 1.20 and larger Stingers, .46 powered profiles, electric jets, foamies, gassers of all sizes, electrics of all sizes.

I've had 3 typhoons (latest, typhoon2) and it is a good 3D trainer with lipos. It's squirrely, just like a 3D plane is supposed to be, doesn't knife-edge well (coupling), and is a bit portly with the SFGs attached, but is the most bang-for-the-buck out there, provided you get one with a good ESC and servos.

On low rates, it is docile, on high-rates, it is very squirrely, just right for 3D flight. I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner, but it crashes well, with repairs usually consisting of gluing the nose back on, replacing servos, gearboxes, cowls, and props.

It's so cheap, it begs to be flown low, which sooner or later, will result with a smack with terra-firma, which doesn't usually smack your pocketbook too badly.

Charles
Old 09-07-2007, 08:54 PM
ZX9CRAZY
My Feedback: (23)

sorry for the drop in but I had a really bad flew her staight into a post brain fart tonight and broke her nose off.I took it apart and it looks like it would be fairly straight if I glue it back together my question is what glue is going to be best for this repair? or is it not worth fixing ? my lhs has a new fuselage for $30.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:48 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ZX9CRAZY

sorry for the drop in but I had a really bad flew her staight into a post brain fart tonight and broke her nose off.I took it apart and it looks like it would be fairly straight if I glue it back together my question is what glue is going to be best for this repair? or is it not worth fixing ? my lhs has a new fuselage for $30.

I used regular 5-minute epoxy to glue the nose on mine when it broke completely off. Had it flying the next day.

Fuse replacement is currently $26 through Horizon Hobby. Your LHS should match that price.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:55 PM
ZX9CRAZY
My Feedback: (23)

thanks I went to my local hardware store (my lhs is over a hour away)and found gorilla glue it is currently setting up and looking good I hope to have her back in the air tomorrow
Old 09-09-2007, 07:31 AM
cjshaker

[Tried to respond before]

Sumo glue from Loctite works really well for repairing my Typhoon. It's also a poly
glue.

If you mix it with a few drops of water, it foams up and can be used to replace
missing foam. I used masking tape as a form for the glue/water mix.

Chris Shaker
Old 09-13-2007, 06:00 PM
RU4JESUS2 FALCONGTS

HI everyone my typhoon 2 no problems as well as my14 year old son. he soloed the nextar 2 weeks ago and flew his own typhoon 2 this past weekend wow what kids can do! and put the hurtins to dad I beat you ha ha I beat you my striker f27c had a reciver problem crashed plane 2nd flight changed reciver glued together flying again!
Old 09-13-2007, 10:15 PM
fpshell

Greetings...

I just received my Replacement Rudder Servo from Horizon today, so obviously have not flown the T-2 maiden flight yet.

I am arriving at the T-2 from the ParkFlyer Cessna 182. Everyone that flies the C-182, covers it entirely in 2" clear tape and various length of CF Rods, before their first flight or just after the first CRASH.

I read about T-2 pilots, Gluing their planes back together, but have read nothing about wrapping it up in tape, before that first CRASH.

Does anyone make Preventive Strengthening improvements before the first CRASH? I understand that the tail wheel connection to the rudder is quite susceptible to damage.

Fred
Old 09-14-2007, 08:14 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

I flew the Cessna 182 for about a year. I did not cover the entire plane with the packing tape, put I did use a strip of tape on each side and also on the bottom of the wing to avoid damage.

The Typhoon is a lot tougher than the Cessna 182. I have been flying it shortly after it was introduced to the hobby. I'm on my second one -- the first one finally ended up in plane heaven on one of those sudden trips to the crash site.

I don't have a Typhoon 2, but following are the reinforcements to my Typhoon.

If you take off and land on grassy fields, you need to reinforce the rear wheel area since that small wheel sometimes gets stuck in the grass and may tear up that area. I did that by driving one of those strong, round toothpicks through the foam, up into the fuselage, where the back wheel is mounted. I also used strips of packing tape for added reinforcement. If you take off and land on a smooth surface, there is no need for reinforcements.

I tied a small length of fishing line to the clip that holds the canopy down and tied the other other to a small screw that I fastened inside the canopy area and dropped some glue on it to hold it in place. This keeps you from hunting around every time you drop the clip.

After many fights, the small plastic pin through which the canopy pin is inserted, starts getting loose. To avoid this, I reinforced this area with a small metal washer, pushed it a little into the foam and glued it in place. It has never come loose since I did this.

I covered the inside of the plastic cowl with clear plastic tape to protect it on a crash. I just used small strips of the tape to cover most of the inside thus avoiding a lot of wrinkles.

Since the main wing is only held together by small piece of plastic and a small screw, I actually glued the main wings to the fuselage to make it more rigid. I use a glue I purchased at Michael's (chain store) called "Hold the Foam". The glue never really dries and you can pull the wing apart without much effort and peel the glue off in case you need to replace the wings. Actually, I use this glue in lots of places since it is easy to remove compared to the other foam safe glues.

I think that's about it.

Hope this helps out.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:29 AM
fpshell

Thanks, Jmir...

Before I purchased the T-2, I read thru this thread and saw your suggestion about the "Hold The Foam". I got that product before the T-2. I did not use it yet, since I have had so many initial problems with my model, for a while, it looked as though I would be sending the entire package back to Horizon.

In the end, I think I got all the right pieces, installed wrong in China. I was able to get all the wires and switch positions in their correct location, and ended up with only a Dead Rudder Servo. I now have it, so should be on my way. Just hope I can pull out the old servo without doing too much damage. I intend to use your Hold The Foam to reinstall the new servo.

Thanks again for your information.

Fred

Old 10-02-2007, 02:00 PM
cjshaker

I previously reported a bad batch of radios in the Typhoon 2 from Parkzone, and an ESC that
burned itself up while I connected the battery to the airplane.

My LHS sent in the TX, RX, and burned ESC to Parkzone. Parkzone sent me a whole brand new
airplane, complete. I'm very pleased with Parkzone's support, and did not expect to get so much
back in return. They basically gave me a whole PNP Typhoon2, plus a second battery, for free.

Gave one of the chargers to a buddy who didn't have a way of balancing his LiPos.

I haven't tried to fly the new airplane yet, but will soon. Broke the nose off my old one again,
hotdogging at low altitude, and got 'dumb thumbs'. Cartwheeled into the ground at high speed.

Thank you Parkzone!
Chris Shaker

ORIGINAL: cjshaker

Tonight, one of my buddies from our hobby shop was watching as I plugged the LiPo battery into my Typhoon2. Smoke started to roll out, and I unplugged the battery right away. The ESC smoked itself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.