Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Just curious...how do you mount servos & batteries to a foamy?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Just curious...how do you mount servos & batteries to a foamy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 11:41 AM
Y2KGTP
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just curious...how do you mount servos & batteries to a foamy?

Just curious.....my kits are on the way (YAK-55's) and I was just curious how the radio gear is mounted to the plane?
Old 03-31-2007, 12:00 PM
dashunde

Default RE: Just curious...how do you mount servos & batteries to a foamy?

I use hot glue for the servos (quick, easy, simple, removable), and velcro for batteries and rx.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:18 PM
VictoryRoll-91

^^^same. This method works best.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:30 PM
Y2KGTP

Thanks....I'll be sure to pick up a hot glue gun then....I have a small one, but not standard size. And some Velcro.....
Old 03-31-2007, 01:33 PM
Y2KGTP

Ant other building materials I should grab as well, besides the Foam safe CA and accelerant?
Old 03-31-2007, 02:52 PM
dashunde

Yea... maybe some thick/slow CA and a stick or two of 1/4"x 1/8" (5mm x 2mm) flat-bar type carbon fiber rod for making/reinforcing repairs.
Also, grab a roll of that "strapping tape" - the very sticky stuff with fiberglass strands embedded in it... its great for overlaying repairs, plus its good for abrasion protection on the belly edge and nose.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:28 PM
Y2KGTP

ORIGINAL: dashunde

Yea... maybe some thick/slow CA and a stick or two of 1/4"x 1/8" (5mm x 2mm) flat-bar type carbon fiber rod for making/reinforcing repairs.
Also, grab a roll of that "strapping tape" - the very sticky stuff with fiberglass strands embedded in it... its great for overlaying repairs, plus its good for abrasion protection on the belly edge and nose.

Thanks, adding this to my list....so far, I can get all at Wal-Mart

What are people using for hinges? just clear packing tape, or do they provide some sort of hinge in the kit?

I wish I could download the instructions.....
Old 03-31-2007, 05:13 PM
packyj

I just used clear packing tape on my 55's. The holes in the plane for servo's were made just right for my hs55 servo's. just glued the elevator and rudder servo's together back to back and ran a bead of ca down the seam where they meet the fuselage. They've held in fine so far. the aileron servo you don't have to worry too much about it moving but i put a bead of ca along it's lines as well. The battery I just used the "furry" half of velcro right onto the side of the battery... it creates enough friction so that the battery doesn't move at all in flight. I suppose you could use a velcro strap if you're worried about it flying off but mine hasn't even in full throttle spinning dives and quick snaps out the battery hasn't moved at all.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:09 PM
Y2KGTP

ORIGINAL: packyj

I just used clear packing tape on my 55's. The holes in the plane for servo's were made just right for my hs55 servo's. just glued the elevator and rudder servo's together back to back and ran a bead of ca down the seam where they meet the fuselage. They've held in fine so far. the aileron servo you don't have to worry too much about it moving but i put a bead of ca along it's lines as well. The battery I just used the "furry" half of velcro right onto the side of the battery... it creates enough friction so that the battery doesn't move at all in flight. I suppose you could use a velcro strap if you're worried about it flying off but mine hasn't even in full throttle spinning dives and quick snaps out the battery hasn't moved at all.
Thanks.

It's prob not the best plane to get flying again with, so I bought 3 of them.....

but still cheaper than crashing a Heli
Old 03-31-2007, 07:34 PM
packyj

They fly very well for being as cheap as they are... if you're in trouble point the nose up and punch out with the throttle... just get some altitude before trying anything crazy and you'll do just fine... mine loves to hover more than fly straight and level. Very easy to repair. I lost my first one to the motor mount coming loose from the plane and chopping the entire front half of the plane to microscopic bits. Almost lost a lot of gear but lucked out.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:38 PM
Y2KGTP

ORIGINAL: packyj

They fly very well for being as cheap as they are... if you're in trouble point the nose up and punch out with the throttle... just get some altitude before trying anything crazy and you'll do just fine... mine loves to hover more than fly straight and level. Very easy to repair. I lost my first one to the motor mount coming loose from the plane and chopping the entire front half of the plane to microscopic bits. Almost lost a lot of gear but lucked out.

I figure the 1st Yak will not last that long, so I bought 3. I also bought 2 of the brushless motors....18$ each, so good for a spare, or if I really trash something going nose first.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:48 PM
flyingace451

Yeah really nice planes for the price. I use fuzzy side felcro and rubber bands/bamboo cooking sticks to hold my batteries in. The velcro is on there for other planes, but it helps. As for servos, I wrap them in painters tape and then CA them into place. When you gut the plane of electronics just pull the servos out and unpeel the tape and you have a nice clean servo. As for ESC, I use velcro for slight CG adjustments, and the Rx is taped and ca'd into place just like the servos. They really leave very little room for CG adjustment with these things...that's what I don't like about them. I have aft CG's on ALL of my planes, because I fly twitchy planes really well (no expo either) and it really helps me in hovering.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:54 PM
Y2KGTP

ORIGINAL: flyingace451

Yeah really nice planes for the price. I use fuzzy side felcro and rubber bands/bamboo cooking sticks to hold my batteries in. The velcro is on there for other planes, but it helps. As for servos, I wrap them in painters tape and then CA them into place. When you gut the plane of electronics just pull the servos out and unpeel the tape and you have a nice clean servo. As for ESC, I use velcro for slight CG adjustments, and the Rx is taped and ca'd into place just like the servos. They really leave very little room for CG adjustment with these things...that's what I don't like about them. I have aft CG's on ALL of my planes, because I fly twitchy planes really well (no expo either) and it really helps me in hovering.

Are you referring to the blue painters tape? It doesn't tear? I got rolls and rolls of this lying around....
Old 04-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Y2KGTP

Is there a good FAQ to read on this subject? I'm sure my questions have been asked numerous times before
Old 04-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Geardaddys

I'll second the hot glue for servos.. Works great, lasts long time.. But you can pull'em out if you wan't to for another plane.. For hinge tape, I really like 3M's Blenderm (I think that's how to spell it).. The stuff is AWESOME.. It is very flexible, but very strong. Doesn't bind up the hinges at all. It is also VERY sticky and adheres to foam really well. I used it on my "fancy foam" Ultimate Bipe. In addition to using it on the hinges, I used some on the leading edges of the lower wing as this plane has no landing gear. The tape has helped the leading edge not take so much abuse from landings..

As far as ca/glue goes have many of you used Gorilla Glue? I've used it as well as Sumo Glue.. Gorilla glue is incredible stuff. Very lightweight, and expands to really make a good joint. The drawback to Gorilla is that you have to keep an eye on it and continue wiping with a paper towel w/ alcohol on it to keep the "expanded foam" from getting out of hand. Secondly it takes a while to cure, so your build will take longer, but I think it makes a much better joint than foam safe ca..
Old 04-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Y2KGTP

ORIGINAL: Geardaddys

I'll second the hot glue for servos.. Works great, lasts long time.. But you can pull'em out if you wan't to for another plane.. For hinge tape, I really like 3M's Blenderm (I think that's how to spell it).. The stuff is AWESOME.. It is very flexible, but very strong. Doesn't bind up the hinges at all. It is also VERY sticky and adheres to foam really well. I used it on my "fancy foam" Ultimate Bipe. In addition to using it on the hinges, I used some on the leading edges of the lower wing as this plane has no landing gear. The tape has helped the leading edge not take so much abuse from landings..

As far as ca/glue goes have many of you used Gorilla Glue? I've used it as well as Sumo Glue.. Gorilla glue is incredible stuff. Very lightweight, and expands to really make a good joint. The drawback to Gorilla is that you have to keep an eye on it and continue wiping with a paper towel w/ alcohol on it to keep the "expanded foam" from getting out of hand. Secondly it takes a while to cure, so your build will take longer, but I think it makes a much better joint than foam safe ca..

I have used gorilla glue, good stuff....just expands like crazy!

Old 04-04-2007, 06:48 AM
Geardaddys

Yes, it does (expand) I think that is the beauty of the strength of it though.. You really can control the "expansion" by wiping it off from where you don't want. Seems like after about an hour and a half the expansion is pretty much over with..
Old 04-04-2007, 07:14 AM
WhtBronco

After a while I found with Gorilla Glue that I didn't use so much that I had to wipe it off. Just takes a bit of practice, otherwise it's great stuff. It provides a much stronger joint than any CA I have used for foam.

For hinges I have been using the media inside of old floppy disks cut to fit the application. It's very flexible and CA, Gorilla Glue and epoxy all stick very well to it. Tape is okay, but I tend to have a hard time getting it perfect.

I wrap my servos with 3/4" heat shrink then glue them in with Gorilla Glue.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:16 AM
Y2KGTP

I think I will get a nice hot glue gun, and use that on taped servos.......sounds best to me. I just got threw repairing a Heli tail with a dab of glue, and that stuff just grows like great-stuff foam!
Old 04-04-2007, 12:16 PM
WhtBronco

Yeah I agree the Gorilla Glue takes some getting used to since you need so little compared to CA or epoxy. I don't care for hot glue personally since it tends to be quite heavy.

I don't like taping the servos either since it's harder to get the servos out when you need to. With heat shrink you just slice it and the servo comes right out, then you can cut the glue joint to get the heat shrink out. I was really pleased with this method recently when I had to replace 2 servos on a brand new foamy. Anyway all these methods work, you just have to decide what's best for you.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Y2KGTP

Dies the heatshrink fit around the entire body of the servo? this seems like the best method to me, and cleanest looking.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:38 PM
WhtBronco

ORIGINAL: Y2KGTP

Dies the heatshrink fit around the entire body of the servo? this seems like the best method to me, and cleanest looking.
Yep. I trim the mounting tabs off most of my sub-micro servos and cutg the heatshrink so it fits from the bottom to the top of the servo. Then just trim out a bit for the wires. Course if you leave the mounting tabs on just cut the heatshrink from the bottom of those to the bottom. I have found 3/4" heatshrink to be the best size, but 1" also works. Single wall heatshrink is lighter, but in the large sizes can be hard to find so I generally use double wall. The local True Value store here carries a fantastic assortment of heatshrink from 1/16" to 1 1/2" in 3' lengths. 3' of 3/4" is about $2.00. Below is a pick where you can see 3 servos in my new bipe that have heatshrink on them, well you can see the servos, but the heatshrink obviously blends right in with black servos.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62044.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	657133  
Old 04-05-2007, 08:01 AM
Y2KGTP

Thats a good price for shrink....I have some radio shack stuff that just does not work well. We have a few Ace hardewares, but I wonder if Home-depot would carry this as well?
Old 04-05-2007, 11:12 AM
WhtBronco

Radio Shack is outrageous for heat shrink and only has packs of small stuff. I have never found it at Home CHepot or bLowes in larger sizes. I have bought it at Ace and True Value stores though.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:16 AM
Y2KGTP

ORIGINAL: WhtBronco

Radio Shack is outrageous for heat shrink and only has packs of small stuff. I have never found it at Home CHepot or bLowes in larger sizes. I have bought it at Ace and True Value stores though.
was at Harbor freight and I got a HUGE supply of heatshrink for 4.99$

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=9639

OVER 18 FT. OF WRAP
Fast, safe, secure way to wrap wiring harnesses. Protects and insulates. 48'' long sections.

* Shrinks to half its diameter
* Flame retardant
* Diameter: 1/4'', 3/8'', 1/2'', 3/4'', 1'' (one each)

I also got a hot glue gun, straight edge, some 5 min epoxy and other little misc stuff.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.