Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: NEW~~~E-Flite Extra 260 480 ARF~~~

The esc is fine, but find out what it's bec amperage is. 3A is good, 2A might be ok and 1.5 is risking it. I don't know anything about those esky servos so i can't offer any advice. Your pack should do fine especially since youre not a 3D nut then wing loading is not as important (it will still feel mad light compared to a formosa with similar gear and pack)

You might be one prop change and 4 quality servos away from having a full setup, I can't tell without knowing more about your motor though; 1000Kv only means how fast it wants to turn at lo load on one volt, not how much power it has to achieve this. It could be a weakling or a beast. Thing is, even if it was a monster propped wrong it won't feel very powerful.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks aflipz, here's the details for the motor, i should have mentioned them before:
    Voltage 6 - 12
    KV(rpm/v) 1000
    Pull 300 - 650g
    Wieght 58g
    Shaft 3m
    Max Amps 20
    Prop to 10x5

Power works out to around 200-250 watts i guess, it's a really cheap motor and to be honest, i think i'd be more comfortable going all out on this bird and buying some quality electrics. I've been deliberately staying on a budget whilst i learned but now that i'm ready to dive into a more expensive plane, i figure it's worth getting electrics to match.

Any motor ESC recommendations for my scale aerobatic style flying? I can't have 'too' much power so i'm thinking the Park 480 for motor.
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah you should definitely do that.

That will allow your formosa to stay all up too! It's still a very "valid" plane and a lot of fun to fly so it will make a nice "backup" Definitely try a 9x6E APC on it if you have a chance; it will feel like a totally different plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Andrew86
    Any motor ESC recommendations for my scale aerobatic style flying? I can't have 'too' much power so i'm thinking the Park 480 for motor.
    Scorpion 3008/32 is cheaper and very very good, only 5$ shipping worldwide from innov8tivedesigns.com if i am not mistaken. your esc would probably be ok, if not scorpions are ok too, 35A i think they even have a combo. 480 would do fine too but avoid eflite esc's at all cost. i LOVE castle creations esc's

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Aflipz: Scorpion 3008/32 vs E-flite 480 1000kv outrunner? Your opinions?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh, and I didn't have anyone to video tape... but I flew it in 20mph winds last sunday at the school playground... this plane is soooo awesome...

I was doing backwards harrier rolls ... would fly 20 ft. past myself, put it in a harrier, start rolling, and could get it to drift back about 100-120ft before you would begin to lose control effectiveness.... one of the coolest things I have done with a plane yet. It handled the wind extremely well, but it was impossible to land because it would fly standing still, so you had to elevator it to the ground and catch it or it would take off with any elevator input... I wish I had video.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

if you already have the 480 the difference is probably not great enough to be worth buying again, if you don't have one yet then scorpion all the way.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Aflipz.. I love the 480 size planes, so I will definitely be buying another in the future. What makes it better?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First of all, it is balanced to perfection; super quiet and efficient. It also uses high temperature resistant wires and magnets (capable of near 400F temps without demagnetizing) so they are almost impossible to kill in use.

they have outstanding warranty, lower price and even "crash" warranty. They look better, feel better, the packaging alone is pretty cool (tin box padded with foam) they include all screws, connectors and a very light prop adapter. There is not much not to like about scorpions unless you are a competitor!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hmmm.. could you tell me how you REALLY feel about it??!?!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The scorpion gear looks great, thanks for the recommendation. How creative do you need to get to mount that motor? I often go with the recommended motor from E-Flite purely for the ease of installation, but if the scorpion is easy to mount then i'd go with that.

Thanks again

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

oooh you bring up an excellent point; Installing it just a little more complicated than the 480 because of a small difference in the bolt pattern; the scorpion's is ever so slightly larger so you need to knock out the blind nuts, widen the holes a bit and put the nuts back in. Not hard to do at all though.

That being said, my kontronik is screwed into the firewall, threads saturated with adhesive and small backing plates to get a nice strong hole.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for all your help aflipz, it's been very useful. I was in my LHS the other day and they had one in stock staring right at me, i had a good look at the contents and was very impressed but decided to wait a little longer, mainly to get some more hours up on the formosa. I came very close though, i'll pick one up in the near future for sure.

I just realised you're the guy who posted the great video of your extra 260 on youtube, i must have watched that clip a dozen times now and every time i do i want one more!! It just floats around so nicely.

Thanks again

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Andrew86

Thanks for all your help aflipz, it's been very useful. I was in my LHS the other day and they had one in stock staring right at me, i had a good look at the contents and was very impressed but decided to wait a little longer, mainly to get some more hours up on the formosa. I came very close though, i'll pick one up in the near future for sure.

I just realised you're the guy who posted the great video of your extra 260 on youtube, i must have watched that clip a dozen times now and every time i do i want one more!! It just floats around so nicely.

Thanks again

thanks for the kind words, i am glad you enjoy it, i have it on stage6.com too, search aflipz. the videos there are of far better resolution.

I am certain your flying will surpass mine in no time... I've been at it for about 2.5 years now, not giving up but it seems it's getting harder and harder to improve at this point... Practice practice practice! see you in the sim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got the maiden flights in today! WOW This flies great. Even at the max weight of 29oz. Cant wait to fly it at 2 to 3 oz less. Was a little too windy, so didnt get to wring it out as I had hoped. Saw no bad tendencies, except its a little snappy with elevators, but I figure thats inherent to the short coupled fuse, and being at max weight. Zero clicks of trim Added 20% to elevator and aileron throws, and 25% to rudder, yeah, thats the stuff! Blender was phenominal, Knife edge was effortless, with just an oh so slight elevator input, no mixes. Couldnt get a good hover, too windy, but harriers and rolling harriers suprised me, thought they would be harder with this one, but noooooooooooo. As easy as the funtana X100, almost. SHHHH!! someone forgot to tell it that its a little plane, I dont want it to find out.
    It was a glitch, a technical malfunction! Why wont anybody believe me?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi folks,

Seems like this thread has gone a little quiet so I thought I'd jump in and add my .02

I flew my Extra this morning on its maiden flight and must report that it flies much better than I expected. I'm new to electrics, having only one other electric model, but I've flown gas and gliders since 1975 so I'm quite at home with scale and aerobatic models. Having said that, I'm not a 3D flier and don't really have a lot of interest in that kind of flying so I'm not really likely to use this model's full potential I suspect. I just wanted an easy to build electric that would give me some entertainment on a smaller budget while I work on my other scale models.

Firstly, I must report that the construction of this quite reasonably sized model is extremely light and seemingly fragile. I know it isn't going to survive a vertical dive into the ground, but that shouldn't be expected either. All of my models that I've built in the past are substantially stronger and of course heavier. None have failed in the air, and most have survived extremely firm landings to fly another day. Therefore, I'm totally unfamiliar and still very uncomfortable with the amount of "air" inside this model with (seemingly) just enough wood to keep the basic shape and mount the motor and radio etc. I have a House of Balsa Extra 300L kit yet to be built, and it is going to come in at around 6.5 pounds for not too much more size, so to have the Eflite Extra 260 coming in at around 27 oz is still playing with my mind......

Anyway, that puts everything into perspective for you I guess.

I only flew one flight this morning as the wind came up quite a bit and I just wasn't comfortable subjecting this wonderful little flying machine to the turbulence and stresses. The takeoff was quite comfortable at 1/2 throttle in around 10 feet and the climb was strong and stable. It needed only two clicks of aileron trim to keep it all under control. Loops, rolls, snaps and spins were all quite easy and she tracked straight throughout. As I have upped the power a little, vertical performance is pretty well unlimited and I almost lost sight of it in the climb a couple of times. Acceleration from a slow flyby is wonderful and there is little need for rudder or aileron to keep it on the straight and narrow. It does tend to climb a little as it accelerates, but this is not a bad thing.

Landing was very slow, with a little power to keep airflow over the control surfaces and counter the strengthening wind. I'm not too comfortable with the gear mounting and, although I've added some ply in the hopes that I might delay failure, I don't think it will take too much of a landing shock to rip it clean out of the fuselage.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the first flight and am looking forward to a calm morning so I can give it an honest workout.

As for specs, I've got the following gear installed:-

Eflite Power 10 motor,
    Dualsky 40A Speedy,
    Flightpower EVO 25 11.1V 1800mAh LiPo,
    Spektrum 7 radio running JR 375 servos.
    Stock assembly with the exception of instument panel and 2D pilot (I can't stand scale models that have an empty cockpit!)

The motor pulls 37A at full throttle and around 15 at half, so I'm well within the temp limits all round.

More later as I build some time on this little guy.....

Cheers,
    Greg

If you can\'t remember...... the gear is probably up!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry as well since I committed to buying the E Flite 260 3D 480 as well as the Electrifly Extra 33os and said I would post a comparison. I did post the following on the Extra 330s thread and will cut it down below to capture the impressions I had between the two.

I built both using Park 480s (910kv for the GP Extra 330s and 1020kv for the EF 260 3D) otherwise they were identically spec'd with 40 amp e flite ESCs and S-75 servos. I am using the DX7 and AR6100 set up and both are powered by TP 2100 3 cell prolite lipos. I fly in grass and both maidens occurred in some wet stuff so I have 2.5 inch MPI sport wheels and what makes flying more fun then shedding pants (wheel pants)

I am primarily going to sport fly them and just have a great time with two very nice looking airplanes. based on flying them the first time, they want to naturally trick for you, so I will have some fun with them with 3D, but they are a blast straight up flying and aerobatics.

On to the builds. Overall, I enjoyed the 260 3D build more than the 330s ( just seemed quicker), or maybe my wife gave me more hell when I told her I was only "disappearing for 10 minutes to putz on the plane."

With the 260 3D you could get most things done in a reasonable amount of time if you had some free time to work on the plane, but the 330s seemed to throw a new building challenge at me or something took longer than expected.

Elevator and Rudder Servo bay placement in the 260 3D was more logical being staggered in some sense. In the 330s, both bays are directly across from eachother in the tail end of the fuse and if you are not using a shallow depth servo ( I did not think the S-75 was deep) you get one servo installed, and when you go to install the other you can't get it in because the bottoms are touching (dumb). I placed a washer under the servo screw mount for each hole and slowly secured them a couple screw turns at a time until they all cooperated and essentially expanded the fuse a little bit. No issues in flight, it just was not a smart design.

The cowl set up on the 260 3D also gets a thumbs up compared to the GP 330s as it comes completed with a cooling hole. GP asks me kindly to "create a venting hole in the fiberglass cowl." Man, i hate cutting into the fiberglass cowls, just waiting for a nice chip to come off of paint. I complied and did the "extra work on my Extra." I also enjoyed the science experiment of having to create the cowl frame for the Extra 330s by aligning and gluing the wood frame into the cowl so it can be magnetically attached. I complied here as well. It is an interesting concept having the cowl attach this way instead of using screws as on the 260 3D. The benefit of screws on the 260 3D is the speed of installation, and also knowing you will "definitely" need to buy a new one if your plane bites the big one. I am left with only thoughts of what the 330s cowl's condition may be if I accidentally drill a fence post with the plane........

the finish on both is very nice, although I give the winner to the 260 3D as much of the cover film is wrinkled on the tail feathers and I had to do a lot of iron work to smooth out the wing covering. the 330s still is a very attractive plane and I am not going to notice any wrinkles while it is in the air.

I think the one thing that really bummed me out about the 330s was the linkage system. It is a very cool concept with the adjustable control horns on the carbon rods. They just don't stay tight with the tightening screw in place. I stopped pouting and used the closed end control horn that came with the hardware and put a little CA in the end and used 4 "heavy duty" screw lock connectors over the whole plane. I could not use micros because the carbon rod is just slightly larger than the hole diameter of micro connectors. I am not flying this plane in a gym, so I will not cry over the extra percentage of a gram these screw-lock connectors may add. I will feel better knowing that a hard maneuver will not pull a control surface out of trim.

The day I maidened both of the planes it was about 36 degree weather with about 10 mph winds (fun).

Both fly very well even in the windy conditions if you call 10 mph windy, it seems like it is always that speed here.

for what it is worth I have the 260 3D using the recommended 12 x 6E, while the GP 330s specs a 10 x 7E. I think for the next flight I am going to place an 11 x 7E on the GP 330s to see if it helps as it seemed to me that the 260 3D was floating around and tracking very well at a lot lower rpm than the GP 330s , but the 12 x 6E was taking a nicer gulp of air with it so I think the going with the 11 x 7E will help.

both airplanes made their landing approaches at walking speed which was very cool and if I was landing on something that did not look like a prairie dog community I might have walked away with the nylon screws in my landing gear in tact. reviews say that the 330s needs a powered landing but in this case today with the wind i used almost idle prop and very little trim and both planes have a very smooth sink rate and may need a little distance for landing (sort of like a floating mini pulse)

I had the control horns on the 330s set on their lower settings as I intend to have my son and I fly it through the buddy box. even with the lower rates, the ailerons are super responsive, so don't think you have to go with big throws to make the 330s roll. The 260 3D rolls very well too. Both are nice planes

If we fly E Flite planes we all know the 4-40 nylon screw trick. GP apparently has not heard of this and the landing gear are fixed to the frame with 3 mm x 8 mm screw (x 4) and blind nut. iI cannot find 3 mm x 8 mm nylon flat headed screws so I changed the blind nuts to the 4-40 on the 330s ( a real pain to do the ones closest to the outside of the fuse).

Both landings were almost hover landings but with the crappy landing surfaces I still managed to pop gear on both, but no body damage so the screws work on both even with the 4 you need on the GP 330s.

I spoke about the MPI sport wheels and they are great for the plane and don't look huge. The stock wheels on the 330s are too small and spongy and would do fine if you were landing on a hard surface or golf course.

Both are very good planes. The 330s has a very cool color scheme and the 260 3D looks very nice as well. stability and performance in flight at least that day goes to the 260 3D. Hope this helps if you are in a toss up between the two.

KP
    3DHS Field Support Crew

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just flew mine today again, after 3 months sitting.I have no complaints or issues,lands at my feet,takes off in a few feet if needed on grass with pants.Good presence and scale,loves to perform.Stable at a crawl,good top speed,agile,precise,3D's and is structurally sound.This thing is a bargain with great perfomance

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My landing gear has held up great. I've had 2 or 3 real hard landings. All I did was put a few drops of thin CA in the gear mount structure.
    It was a glitch, a technical malfunction! Why wont anybody believe me?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finally had a chance to maiden my Extra 260 480 ARF. I went with the recommended motor, ESC, prop, battery, etc.

There was less than 5mph wind, which was great for testing and trimming the airplane. I must admit, it is probably the best flying plane so far for me. I only had to trim the elevator one click (Spektrum DX6) and that was it! It did much better than expected on take offs, landings, flat spins, knife edges. I was also able to hover it for the usual 5 seconds (I'm not good at this). I did a couple of harriers, but could not stop the wing rocking back and forth -- I'll have to work on this.

It flies better than my E-flite Mini Funtana X which up till then was my best flying airplane.

Needless to say, I'm very satisfied with this airplane. My hat off to E-flite!

Not raining? Not too windy? Guess what I\'\'m doing!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maidened my Extra 260 today. Absolutely no trim flew straight as an arrow. Axial rolls the length of the field with no correction. Looks beautiful in the air a real performer. Hope to have fun with it in the future. I am using the 1020kv e-flite motor and HS-55s all round ( will be putting Hs-65 on the tail soon ). Thanks E-flite.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How does this thing compare to the Showtime 480?

I can't decide between the two....
    \"You are what you continually do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit...\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The extra 260 480 is the best 480 size parkflyer I have flown, period. There is no choice between this and the showtime, by the Extra, I promise you won't be dissappointed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mflander

The extra 260 480 is the best 480 size parkflyer I have flown, period. There is no choice between this and the showtime, by the Extra, I promise you won't be dissappointed.

Ditto!
    Not raining? Not too windy? Guess what I\'\'m doing!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm using the Torque Motor 2818 900 Kv with the 12X 6 Wow unlimited Vertical
    servos HS 45 x 4
    TP 3s 2000- I don't like this batteries but hey that is what I have now..
    Also for the landing gear I have 4x40 screws???

Fred
    This is my favorite plane....
    I love this plane just love this plane
    Fred

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast