Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

New E-Flite Extra 260 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

New E-Flite Extra 260 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 04:44 AM
maiden-crash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New E-Flite Extra 260 ARF

Ive been on the lookout for my next plane for a while, something good looking, something that can 3D and something that has a light wing loading. This Extra seems to be the ticket. Supposed to be out June according to Horizon Hobby, so it can't be far off now. [link=http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc_planes_e-flite_extra_260_3d_480_arf.htm]Here[/link] it is

Features
Generous wing area for lighter wing loading
Large control surfaces for precise control in high-alpha flight
Exceptionally lightweight balsa and plywood construction covered in genuine UltraCote and UltraCote Lite
Designed for use with E-flite’s Park 480 Brushless Outrunner Motor
Factory-painted fiberglass cowl and wheel pants
Aluminum landing gear and steerable tail wheel
Plug-in wings for easy transport
Assembles in just a few evenings

Overview
The Extra 260 3D 480 ARF is one of the first E-flite® planes to use a new construction technique that eliminates unnecessary weight without sacrificing any strength. This super-lightweight construction, combined with its generous wing area, results in exceptionally light wing loading. Plus, its firewall is designed to accept E-flite’s powerful Park 480 Brushless Outrunner Motor, without modification. It all comes together to give you a fantastic flying 3D airplane without limits and with nothing but possibilities.

Specifications
Wing Span: 43 in (1090mm)
Overall Length: 40 in (1015mm)
Wing Area: 375 sq in (24.2 sq dm)
Flying Weight: 26–29 oz (740–820 g)
Motor Size: Park 480 BL Outrunner
Radio: 6 channels or more for proper mixing
Servos: Sub-micro (4)
Trim Scheme Colors: Pearl Purple (HANU847), Bright Yellow (HANU872), Silver (HANU881), Lite Transparent Clear (HANU964), Lite White (HANU973)
CG (center of gravity): 3 inches (75mm) to 3 1/8 inches (79mm)
Prop Size: 12x6 Electric
Spinner Size: 1 3/4 in
Hardware Included: Yes
Speed Control: 35A-40A Brushless
Recommended Battery: 1320-2100mAh 11.1V 3-cell Li-Po
Control Throw (Ailerons): Low 3/4-inch (19mm) or High 1-1/2-inch (38mm)
Control Throw (Elevator): Low 3/4-inch (19mm) or High 1-1/2-inch (38mm)
Control Throw (Rudder): Low 1-1/2-inch (38mm) or High 2-1/2-inch (64mm)
Scale: Park Flyer
Approx. Assembly Time: 4-6 hours

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16702.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	701784  
Old 06-14-2007, 02:56 AM
maiden-crash

Default RE: New E-Flite Extra 260 ARF

Any one else interested in this one? Ive never owned an E-Flite plane myself but Im hoping they make good flying planes. The release is now pushed to end of June[]
Old 06-14-2007, 07:57 PM
maiden-crash

This is my planned setup:

E-Flight 480 1020 Outrunner
Ewatts Pentium 40
Ewatts 2200mah 25-50c 3s lipo
2x Hs-55 for ailerons
2x Hs-65 for rudder and elevator
R700 Rx

I may end up using a Nes375 Jr servo for the elevator, Im concerned for speed though. They are 9 gram servos with 2kg of torque, but with a .21 second reaction. I may also use an align 2100mah 3s 22c lipo, as the E-watts one is a tad bit heavy at 175 grams, which is more than reasonable for a 25c battery.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:13 AM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

E-Flight makes good planes, they are always priced right. They go for volume sales to keep the prices down. You should compare this to the Fliton 260. What I have found is that Fliton does more up front design and tuning on their planes, so they fly just a little better. I will give two examples.

1) Eflight mini funtana, sold a crap load, ok flying plane, but wing loading was too heavy and not enough rudder and snapped at low speed, didn't KE well. (That is why they came out with the funtana X, to fix some of the errors)

2) Efight brio, same problem with wing loading, Nice pattern flyer however.

Not to say Fliton always get it right, but they just spend a little more time up front.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:33 AM
3DownLow
My Feedback: (4)

I've seen a couple of videos of the Fliton 260 and it doesn't impress me. Seemed to have a lot of wing rock in harriers. Might be the pilot but maybe not. It didn't look like it flew any better than similar sized 3D planes. If I were to base my purchase on the videos alone, I would pass. Hopefully E-flite has done their homework on their 260. I like most of Flitons planes but their color schemes are atrocious.(Sort of" Pimp My Plane "gone bad) I like what they've done on the E-flite 260's color scheme even though the bottom of wings and tailfeathers are partially clear. The Tribute FX 3D is a great flying plane, someone did their homework on that one for sure.
ORIGINAL: lwatson

E-Flight makes good planes, they are always priced right. They go for volume sales to keep the prices down. You should compare this to the Fliton 260. What I have found is that Fliton does more up front design and tuning on their planes, so they fly just a little better. I will give two examples.

1) Eflight mini funtana, sold a crap load, ok flying plane, but wing loading was too heavy and not enough rudder and snapped at low speed, didn't KE well. (That is why they came out with the funtana X, to fix some of the errors)

2) Efight brio, same problem with wing loading, Nice pattern flyer however.

Not to say Fliton always get it right, but they just spend a little more time up front.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:55 PM
lthibault

Hi,

This plane is on my list. Just got rid of the WM Cap 232 Electric model, those small planes are just too fragile and the provided brushless motor is crap.

I was also thinking of buying the Fliton but I'm inclined to choose Eflite, I own several products from them (P47 Thunderbold, Mini FuntanaX, Diamante 25, J3Cub 25). I just like to buy everything, motor, ESC, from the same company and be able to assemble it quickly.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:03 PM
maiden-crash

Damn it I should have known myself, I went to the hobby shop and walked out with a prodigy and an eflite 450. If anyone gets the extra tell me how it go's Funny you should say that about the cap, I was tossing up between the cap and prodigy while in the hobby shop[X(]
Old 06-19-2007, 07:14 PM
henson
My Feedback: (64)

I have one on order as well.I currently fly the extreme flight extra300 and was going to order another for a back up.Then I saw the 260 and it was alot cheaper.So I thaught I would give it a try,Iam hoping all my stuff from the 300 will go in the 260.