3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

FLITON - AJ Extra 330S "Build thread"

Old 07-19-2007, 08:50 PM
papajeff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: FLITON - AJ Extra 330S "Build thread"

A few more photos of the fuselage prep, including the rear located servo opening, to control the elevator, and the openings to vent the cooling airflow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42917.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	726570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65299.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	726571  
Old 07-19-2007, 09:42 PM
papajeff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Now for the hinging of the ailerons using the included Mylar CA hinges. It's suggested to bend each hinge in half which will create a
crease mark exactly at the center of the hinge. At this time, it's advised to take a crayola ( I've used the same color as the color of the covering on the aileron, in this case...white) and mark the centerline of the hinge on both sides. This will prevent the CA from wicking onto the hinge line and the hinges will operate perfectly as a result of this operation. Everyone seems to have their favorite CA and mine is ZAP. For wicking in hinges it's best to use thin ZAP. as it will penetrate deep within the hinge slit and make a firm, permanent bond.

Dry fit the hinges and then mark the hinge positions on both the wing and the ailerons. Another little trick is to make a hole into the center of the hinge slit using a pointed probe or even a heavy "T" pin (see the photo below). This hole will insure that the thin CA will totally penetrate and seal the entire hinge. Then "ZAP" the CA hinges to the aileron first, then join the aileron, with it's installed hinges, to the wing. This procedure will make for a trouble free, long lasting and dependable hinged surface.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ki20754.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	726602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47883.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	726603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62775.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	726604  
Old 07-20-2007, 10:22 AM
papajeff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Give the CA enough time to set and then work the ailerons up and down a few times just to make sure that the hinges are working properly and
that's....that!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Xv63205.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	726893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67621.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	726894  
Old 07-29-2007, 11:45 AM
growjd8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have a question about the motor recommendations for this plane. the y call for the power 15 by eflite and i went with the power 32. I just now achieved 200 watts per lb (218)to be exact. Are u guys going with the recommended motor and if so what kind a watts per pound are you pushing?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:34 AM
papajeff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: growjd8

i have a question about the motor recommendations for this plane. the y call for the power 15 by eflite and i went with the power 32. I just now achieved 200 watts per lb (218)to be exact. Are u guys going with the recommended motor and if so what kind a watts per pound are you pushing?
Maybe 200+ watts is a little overkill, but if your AJ performs properly and you are satisfied, then you did good!!!!! I would be interested in the following info about your AJ;
flying weight?...ESC amperage and make?...prop size?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:25 PM
papajeff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's time to dry fit the wings to the fuselage using the included carbon fiber wing tube. This will give you a guide to make certain that the stab is alligned properly and centered.
With attaching the horizontal stab trial fit with the elevators, but don't CA the hinges just yet!!!!! Make sure that the stab is centered so that both left and right sides are equal distant from the fuselage center and perpendicular to the vertical stab.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lj22886.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	734687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74297.jpg
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	734688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82670.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	734689  
Old 08-02-2007, 10:39 PM
papajeff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

An additional safeguard to ensure properly allignment of the stab is to make sure that the distance from the outside trailing edge of the main wing to the outside trailing edge of the horizontal stab is exactly the same measurementfor both the left and right sides.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ge94962.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	734699  
Old 08-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Taildragger726

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey papajeff, one of my AJ Extras is pictured in the September issue of Flying Models (I also think I am flying the monocoupe on the cover, my nieghbor and I were taking turns flying it). Look at the VR/CS coverage, page 68.

Tony
Old 08-06-2007, 08:30 PM
papajeff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Taildragger726

Hey papajeff, one of my AJ Extras is pictured in the September issue of Flying Models (I also think I am flying the monocoupe on the cover, my nieghbor and I were taking turns flying it). Look at the VR/CS coverage, page 68.

Tony

Tony,

For sure, I will get a copy of the Sept. Flying Models and look forward to seeing your AJ. Also, I hope that you did get the COVER shot no matter what you were flying. I'll let you know when I get it.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:19 PM
bsipro

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Papajeff

you are going to love this plane. I have been flying it for 3 months and it is real nice.
Just a few things.
1 reinforce the rudder servo mount (add a piece of 1/8x3/16 wood to the 2 spars that hold the servo) mine broke and the plane came in.
2 use a servo push rod to hold the canopy on. (slide the push rod though the screw holes put a 3/4 bend on one side and let the rod stick out a 1/2 on the other side of the fus and slide a 1/2 peice of fuel line on the push rod to hold it in place. I use a plastic tube and some balsa to make a guide glued to the botom of the canopy. I post some pictures.
3 mark and drill the holes and press in the blind nuts for the motor after you glue the firewall together and before you build the motor mount
4 glue some anti skid cloth on the battery tray ( it holds the battery in place nicely with the Velcro strap.) battery will not slide.
5 were I fly the grass is a little long so I use 2 1/4 foam wheels (no wheel covers)
6 use steel screws for landing gear.

the plane is very robust I lost the rudder and it came in nose fist all I lost was the motor mount and cowl.

my setup:
Hitec HS65 mg rudder
Hitec HS65 al /el
Castle Creation 60 ESC
BEC
Hacker A30-10xl motor
Max Amp 3100 11.1v li-po
Old 08-10-2007, 11:49 AM
papajeff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bsipro,

Boy, have I had problems with good old AOL which had something to do with Java issues so I could not post on any thread at all.
Now, I'm on Monzilla till the problem is solved with AOL.

So, thank you for your suggestions and tips. That's what I think this Hobby of ours is all about! Sharing our experience, ideas and knowledge with others. As an "OLD DINOSAUR" Grandpa, I know that I am never too old to learn something new, so you just feel free to add to this thread any time you like, as it is most appreciated.

I like your set-up, but so far, I have just decided on some of the electrics for this AJ. The Hitec guys have suggested HS-65HB's for the ailerons and elevator with an HS-85BB for the pull-pull rudder. You see, I have to make sure that this AJ Extra is as strong and powerful as possible just because of the Test Pilot. Actually, this is a great problem to have because the pilot will be my "Young Gun" pal and 3D flight instructor, Devin McGrath. The video, for the final RCU review, should be simply "Awesome" and this AJ should have a HUGE power system for Devin to stress as he puts the AJ thru it's paces. Also, Joey Ford, the"TECHNO MASTER"from Castle Creations, has recommended a Phoenix 60 which can be programmed with their Castle-Link and a computer to satisfy Devins flying style.

For the rest of the power system, I have decided to yield to the judgement of Edson and the Fliton "Welcome to the Next Level" crew. Now you can see that this "OLD DOG" Grandpa is sure in good hands! So, I will be as surprised as everyone else when I hear from Edson. I have a feeling that this AJ is going to be slightly unusual, Ohhhhhhhhhh.......Yeahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2007, 09:09 PM
papajeff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Let's see, where were we on this build?? Oh, I got it.....we were dry fitting the horizontal stab and measuring to make sure the position is perfect. Once centered and aligned properly, use a felt tip marker to draw lines on the top & bottom of the stab along both sides of the fuselage. Now remove the stab and take a good look at the opening in the fuselage and you should see that the thickness of the sides are about 1/4". So, you should only remove the covering to expose the raw balsa that will need to be glued (of course, in order to make a good bond with your 5 minute Z-POXY )....and not the entire space between your lines.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nk27931.jpg
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	739691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75684.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	739692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65119.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	739693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66402.jpg
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	739694  
Old 08-10-2007, 09:30 PM
papajeff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When removing the covering to expose the raw balsa, just be careful to make sure that your hobby knife has a sharp blade and do not cut too deep into the wood. Now, just peal off the covering. Mix your Z-POXY , you can actually use 30 minute or 5 minute as
it's just about preference and if you want a fast or a slow bond time, and evenly apply the epoxy to the exposed wood on both the top and bottom of the stab. Slide the stab into the opening on the fuse and adjust according to your original felt tip marker lines.
You can adjust the position and measure again to the main wing tips (as explained previously) just to make sure that it is perfectly centered. All that's left is to let it dry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ay76100.jpg
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	739702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95304.jpg
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	739703  
Old 08-10-2007, 09:45 PM
papajeff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Now that the epoxy is dry, there is just one little extra step that I need to make so that the stab will be able to take the stresses of the type of 3D flight that Devin will do. I had previously cut out the exit cooling holes on the bottom of the fuselage which exposed the stab and enabled the application of some additional epoxy to the stab through these cooling holes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Us53501.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	739705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34214.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	739706  
Old 08-15-2007, 09:05 PM
papajeff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Now is the time to hinge the right and left elevator sections to the horizontal stabilizer. It's just a little involved and the instructions do a very good job of walking one through the assembly. Each step is in order and it is suggested that the order is followed and if so, the install will go well. The following photos will give an idea as to how both sections of the elevator are joined by using the provided dowel joiner and CA hinges.

These parts of the elevator assembly were just dry fit in order to show how the entire assembly will go together.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Xv63893.jpg
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	742935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94820.jpg
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	742936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10152.jpg
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	742937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69122.jpg
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	742938   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27842.jpg
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	742939  
Old 08-15-2007, 09:20 PM
papajeff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

With CA hinges, it's usually best to fold them in half first, before installation. This action will make the hinge action smoother. Also, to insure that the CA will not bind the hinge action, just take a Crayon (my Grandkids have 100's) and mark the hinge crease on both sides. The wax in the crayon will do the trick.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lj23693.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	742950  
Old 08-15-2007, 09:28 PM
papajeff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Now, just CA (ZAP just seems to work the best for me) the two outermost hinges in their slots on the horizontal stab.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pn37614.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	742953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23673.jpg
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	742954   Click image for larger version

Name:	By76401.jpg
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	742955  
Old 08-15-2007, 09:30 PM
bsipro

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

here is the setup for a quick removal of the canopy. (faster than the screws)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ay73713.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	742956  
Old 08-15-2007, 09:31 PM
papajeff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Slide the elevator joiner (dowel with slits in both ends) into the space behind the stab as shown in the photo. Center the joiner and trial fit with the hinges to insure that everything lines up. Then CA the hinges in place for both the right and left sides of the stab and you can see that this third set of hinges holds the joiner in it's proper place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fd92684.jpg
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	742957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89882.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	742958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44843.jpg
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	742959  
Old 08-15-2007, 09:50 PM
papajeff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Each elevator half has a factory made cutout in the bevel where the elevator joiner meets. Again, dry fit both right & left elevators and make sure that all is in order. If so, mix your
Z-POXY (five minute or 30 as you prefer) and apply into the cutout and on the portions of the joiner that will contact the elevator. Try to use just enough to make a strong bond and
try to avoid using too much epoxy as it could cause another binding issue.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tq48553.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	742969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26330.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	742970  
Old 08-15-2007, 10:06 PM
papajeff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Fliton suggests that you try to make sure that you leave a 2mm gap between the elevators and the stab which will give you better hinge flexibility and of course, the ability to have more throw if you want some wild 3D options. Angle your elevators and the final process is to CA the rest of the hinges in place. Remember.....apply CA to both the top and bottom sides of your hinges. Line up both elevators at "0" trim and lightly clamp for a few hours until the glue completely dries. Then work the elevators up and down a few times to make sure that everything is assembled securely.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Yw69139.jpg
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	742981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66150.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	742982  
Old 08-15-2007, 10:11 PM
papajeff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bsipro,

Great idea for attaching the canopy and thank you for the photo. Canopy screws do work just fine, but they sure can be a pain.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:43 PM
huckinstix

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

sweet build man! anyone who is interested in this plane or the fg version can grab it here: www.flitonstore.com

i just ordered the fg version, cant wait!
Old 08-16-2007, 05:18 PM
papajeff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: huckinstix

sweet build man! anyone who is interested in this plane or the fg version can grab it here: www.flitonstore.com

Huck,

Thanks for the heads up about the Fliton Store on line. I didn't know that Edson had finally got it up and running. I like it!!!! Do you know if the FJ - AJ has any up grades or new features that the regular AJ does not have???? If there are any that you know of, I would sure like to incorporate them into this current build, if at all possible.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:57 PM
papajeff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: huckinstix

Huck,

Did you get your FJ AJ yet??????

Search this Thread