Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

CHALLANGE--ANYONE OUT THERE WILLING?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

CHALLANGE--ANYONE OUT THERE WILLING?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 12:41 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHALLANGE--ANYONE OUT THERE WILLING?

Gang:

Over the past several years I have bought and consdtructed various ARF's and kits in the smaller electric range under 50" WS. Some arf's like the (first) mini-funtanna were a three flight & give it away scenario. Until a bud introduced me to a rcx planes foamy, I thought all small airframes by their very nature had to be junk flyers. Then went to a QQ-73" gasser and learned how to be totally spoiled. Thing just never quit flying and did nothing unexpected, no snap out, no poo. A shop incident recently kiled the Yak, so now its fly the Mojo, UCD-60, and similar for occasional 3D fun. The foamy is still the most frequently flown of the 10 or so haning on the ceiling simply due to ease of going out to the field. My age is starting to show. I still have the urge and need for a great flying smaller electric ARF 50" and under wing span. The adds all claim theirs is just the best ever, etc. same as my series of dogs when first into electrics. Of course a world class pilot can make almot anything look good on a vid!!!!!!!!!!! iS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WILLING TO RECOMMEND A GREAT FLYING FULL BODY ELECTRIC AIRFRAME KNOWING THAT YOUR LIFE WILL BE MADE MISERABLE BY A UNFORGIVING OLD GROUCH, IF ITS NOT AS ADVERTISED???? Willing to install all recommended gear so all will be fair. WELL?????
Old 08-03-2007, 01:04 PM
wings 540

Default RE: CHALLANGE--ANYONE OUT THERE WILLING?

Try looking at Fliton airplanes, I have a Fliton Rogue 3D Bipe, and it flies great. www.fliton.com

Good Luck
Old 08-03-2007, 02:07 PM
3DownLow
My Feedback: (4)

If you loved your 73" QQ Yak and want the same thing only smaller, QQ puts out the 49" electric version. From the vids and a friend who flew one(he's pretty much a pro) it sounds great for that size wingspan. The Katana MD looks promising too from the vids and reports, it's a real floater and seems to be really sturdy. Both of those I would give a hard look at. My 2 cents
Old 08-04-2007, 12:19 AM
3D-Flyer Kevin

I you are willing to wait Airfoilz is coming out with an Extra 260 and it looks very promising.

Kevin
Old 08-04-2007, 10:32 PM
rmenke

Gang:

Thanks for the imput, is most appreciated. Think I will follow my gut and 3Downlow and go with what has been great in the past, QQ Yak 54 49" electric. I have had only one product from QQ aircraft, the 73" yak and it is outstanding, as it should be. Have watched the vid on the 49", and yes, it does appear impressive, except no rolling circles on the vid which I cound do with the 73", except not real pretty. When you get a grand tied up in one bird, makes me a little carefull, losts of bucks for me. The 49" with all the goodies will be $650. which is not cheap either. Oh well, having a ball spending the kids inheritance. Will look into the AIRFOILZ as a backup every day flyer. Thanks again. ENJOY
Old 08-04-2007, 10:47 PM
3DownLow
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: rmenke

Gang:

Thanks for the imput, is most appreciated. Think I will follow my gut and 3Downlow and go with what has been great in the past, QQ Yak 54 49" electric. I have had only one product from QQ aircraft, the 73" yak and it is outstanding, as it should be. Have watched the vid on the 49", and yes, it does appear impressive, except no rolling circles on the vid which I cound do with the 73", except not real pretty. When you get a grand tied up in one bird, makes me a little carefull, losts of bucks for me. The 49" with all the goodies will be $650. which is not cheap either. Oh well, having a ball spending the kids inheritance. Will look into the AIRFOILZ as a backup every day flyer. Thanks again. ENJOY
Pretty sure it can do rolling circles especially with the SFG's on. My friend said it really flew better with them on. If anyone can make that plane do rolling circles I'm sure QQ can! Have fun with it and keep em' flyin'!
Old 08-05-2007, 12:12 PM
DeadStick Dave

Check out the 47" models from 3D Hobby shop. They are very well made and Ben Fischer offers some good combo's. He has set up 8 Electrics in the below 50" range for me and they all perform well. See www.3dhobbyshop.com or call Ben at 830-990-6978. Good luck, Dave
Old 08-05-2007, 12:41 PM
rmenke

Thanks Dave:

Have heard some good things about the 3D shop. My major concerns with a new bird are flaw driven. I do not have the patience to work the bugs out of a design faillure or extreeem corrections like a warped wing or aileron any longer. Example, have a Banshee with a warped aileron. General flight ok, but harriers, high alpha etc. are a real problem. Can solve by building a new one, but it sits and will probably sell rather than break into my other projects. Sad and dumb, but the way it is. So original quality is a must in getting a great flyer as compaired to good or average. Only Filtron products I have had were kits, and just ok flyers, gave away, so quality is something I am willing to pay for within reason. I run Hacker, Phoenix and TP equipment simply because they have proven to work well. A recent shop fire from a cheep lipo battery is a hard lesson about the need for quality in our systems. A quality shop operator like Bud Wilkins from rcx planes.com is flat priceless. Will give the 3D hobby shop a try simply from that aspect. Think we have the right to expect a quality product and service in exchange for our out patronage and support. QQ seems to be on track with this. Chip Hyde's stuff fly well, truly helpfull and nice guy, covering to this point, simply junk. Anyone who lets a old man fly his high dollar stuff is outstanding, and appreciated. I rant!! See ya. ENJOY
Old 08-07-2007, 03:11 PM
DeadStick Dave

I am about 1/2 hour away from finishing a 3D 47" Katana. I cannot say enough about the quality of the construction. I watched Ben developing this model and it is strudy very high quality and the easiest and fastest ARF I've put together so far. The only thing that was not absoutly perfect was the right rear wing thumbscrew not centered and I had to enlarge the fuse hole one drill size to get the thumb screw in.

I have one of the new 3D 55" Extra 300 shp's on order and have no doubt that it will be the same high quality as the 47" Katana and Yak 54. Go to 3D and watch Ben fly this new (first of 4) 55" Extra 300 SHP.

I believe you'll really be pleased with any of 3D's aircraft.

Dave
Old 08-07-2007, 06:49 PM
3D-Flyer Kevin

You are looking for pattern right? If so go check out the Airfoilz Mobius for an everyday flyer. It is sure to put a smile on your face.

Kevin
Old 08-07-2007, 07:20 PM
aerofundan

Take a close look at the Katana MD, it has a very strong construction with revolutionary FiberFusion technology, and its a very easy plane to fly and 3D, check out the videos here:

http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...px?prodID=1104

Daniel
Old 08-08-2007, 01:32 PM
rmenke

Kevin:

Am into 3D mind set for now. Have found most all 3D'rs are good pattern ships and trainers on low rates and mid-range expo. Quit pattern flyinng in 1971, a few years ago. 3D is a wonderfull challange for a old fart. ENJOY
Old 08-08-2007, 10:38 PM
3D-Flyer Kevin

Alrighty then Take a look at the Edge or the Yak....................the edge will blow your mind!!!!!![8D]

Kevin
Old 08-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Fliprob17

ORIGINAL: DeadStick Dave

I am about 1/2 hour away from finishing a 3D 47" Katana. I cannot say enough about the quality of the construction. I watched Ben developing this model and it is strudy very high quality and the easiest and fastest ARF I've put together so far. The only thing that was not absoutly perfect was the right rear wing thumbscrew not centered and I had to enlarge the fuse hole one drill size to get the thumb screw in.

I have one of the new 3D 55" Extra 300 shp's on order and have no doubt that it will be the same high quality as the 47" Katana and Yak 54. Go to 3D and watch Ben fly this new (first of 4) 55" Extra 300 SHP.

I believe you'll really be pleased with any of 3D's aircraft.

Dave
Agreed I have been involved with 3DHobbyShop for a while now, and I am completely 100% impressed with the quality of the aircraft. The aircraft are simply amazing. The quality of construction that goes into each one of the kits is top notch. Definitely a big step up in quality from your typical "on the shelf" ARF kit. I am putting together one of the Purple YAK 54's now for a store review, then the black and yellow Extra........then somehow I have to find a slightly bigger space to fly for the 55" Extra......after seeing that ridiculous video of Ben flying the white one, I am hooked. That is one sweeeeeet plane
Old 08-09-2007, 11:17 PM
rmenke

fliprob17:

Hi, your are not so far away from the central valley. Ok, bottom line in your opinion, which bird is the overall better flyer considering the 47" to 55" airframes in the store. I ask because that was the nature of the thread, down and dirty, and the winner is??????????????????
Old 08-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Fliprob17

If you have the $$'s, the 55" is going to be the better overall performer.......once they come out It is going to be an expensive setup to get one up and running though, and you need the room to fly it. 47" inches is about the limit for me right now with my flying space availability, and as far as what I can test. The 47" Extra is an extremely precision controlled 3D plane. More precise than the YAK and Katana. Great for the slightly smaller flying spaces. If you can accomodate the 55", in terms of wallet and space, it would be the way to go.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:58 PM
rmenke

fliprob 17:

Maby the 55" extra. Have a AXI 4130/20 and Castle 60 in the cabinet, may be a might much. Its a little hard for me to imagine a older design such as the extra 300 to be competitve with the newer designs, but reality is reality. Will check it out closely. Thanks
Old 08-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Fliprob17

That setup may be a bit overkill. It says for 11lb. sport models, so maybe an 8.5lb. 3D plane. The 55" Extra comes in around 5.5lbs. with a heavy setup. But hey, nothing worse than an underpowered plane

It looks like that Axi requires a 6 cell LiPo, a 5 cell LiPo is the recommended setup, somewhere around 4000mah +/- So if you went with a 6 cell you could probably come down closer to 3300mah +/-

I have a hard time calculating sytems with the Axi motors, they don't spec. a max. watt output, so without actually testing them, who knows what you can push out of it safely [sm=71_71.gif]
Old 08-11-2007, 09:29 AM
rmenke

fliprob17:

Yea, seems to be a might much for most applications. Sad, is NIB. Battery costs have kept me out of this motors use. New DeWalt cells may be just the thing. Guess best direction is to E-Bay the motor and size things correctly. Have never been opposed to overkill as long as the weight is not a problem. After flying electrics for about 3 years now, the left thumb seems to have become educated. I as a result, I do not like fast flying birds for sport and 3D. Really enjoy the floaters such as the 73" Yak, but starting to dislike gass just cause of the smell. Wife always screaming etc. ENJOY

Old 09-08-2007, 09:37 AM
DeadStick Dave

Sooo....CHALLENGER.....Did you pick a plane and how did it turn out?
Old 09-08-2007, 11:12 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Try the Flite Extra 260 with a 480 and 2100 batteries.
If you cant make it carve the prettiest pattern and have it 3D on the same flight,you will need an instructor
The Aircraft is precise and honest and looks great.
Here is a clip of this little 43 inch miracle.My flying is intermediate,a pro could do wonders with it
Try it,I always thought small woodies were a waste of time.I preferred ugly foamies and expensive large scale,until now..

http://media.putfile.com/Extra-260-3D-480-ARF

http://media.putfile.com/Extra-260
Old 09-09-2007, 12:18 PM
rmenke

DSDave:

Yea, I actually made a decision after getting the same answer from two World level flyers. A 50" AJ Estra 330L Hacker powered is supposed to fly nearly as well as most 40% models. Unfortunately, I have not received the plane or 4K mah batteries, and it may be several weeks until the yellow covered extra ordered is in the US. In the meantime, I fly my little rcx planes Yak and Swaney Mojo and practice, practice, practice. Guess I shoud just break down and spend the bucks for a 40%, but just dont want to cart something like that around. The cost of a dumb thumb is also daunting at around $3,000 a pop rather than 200. I must learn t do very low rolling circles before I kick the bucket. Not a hard thing for most 23 year olds, but tough on a old giezer of 73. ENJOY
Old 09-09-2007, 02:51 PM
DeadStick Dave

OK Challenger, let us know how it all works out. I'll be on travel for the rest of the month, but will check back when I return. I know about the geezer stuff, I've only been at this for a couple of years and I'm 74. I don't think I'll be able to do 3D for quite a while yet.

Dave
Old 09-10-2007, 11:12 AM
rmenke

Dave:

The best thing for increasing your learning curve is to get on a good simulator and fly for as long as you can every day. Its really all about reacting correctly under unusual attitudes. Just like learning to fly originally, 3 d takes practice. On the simulator, each goof is not several hundred dollars. From the simulator, I would recommend you get a very good electric foamy such as the rcxplanes.com yak 54. Bud Wilkinson thee is one of the hobbies "Good Guys" and will take you in the best direction. I went through quite a few "The best" that were flying junk until I found rcx through a buddy. A good plane is critical and makes life so much eassier as you are not fighting a design that is poor. The difference is amazing. Am now on #4 or 5 over a two year period. Now kill them doing some fun/dumb stuff that is sorta showing off to the rest of the old guys who sit on their buts and do not improve, ever. Its a lot of fun pushing the youngsters and winning more than your fair share. I am nothing special as a pilot, but I try, try, try, just may take me a little longer to get there. If I can, anyone can. Its going to be several weeks until my AJ gets here accordilng to the dealer. Have the motor and exc, battery should be here this week. May just break down and buy one of the original AJ's and use the "improved" version for the future. Say hello when you get back from your trip and ENJOY.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:38 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Not sure if you are bluffing about your age.
But when I get up there ,I want to have an attitude toward new and learning challenges like you.
It's nice to see [8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.