3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Airfoilz RCU Extra 260

Reply
Old 02-25-2008, 07:09 PM
  #51
power_slide
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mt. Airy, MD
Posts: 4
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260

Just bought the RCU version with Scorpion 2215-18 and 35A ESC. Plan to use APC 10x5E with Apogee 1500 LiMn. If anyone is using this motor let me know how it flies.
power_slide is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:12 PM
  #52
bighead93
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: citrus heights, CA
Posts: 84
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260

Nice power set-up...I have tried 5 different motors on the Extra now and the set-up you are using will give you great results. Are you setting your Extra up as an all out 3-D monster or are you going more for a pattern set-up etc? Hovers with your set-up is just a hair over 1/2 and will punch out at a tad over 3/4...with a good amount of kick! If this is your first Airfoilz build and you have any questions...just ask...I am here to help!

PS: Very fun plane!! Just go easy on the CA and epoxy!
bighead93 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:21 PM
  #53
power_slide
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mt. Airy, MD
Posts: 4
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260

Thanks Bighead93, Glad to hear the 2215 has good power, I will be setting it up for 3D. I've been flying a Typhoon 3D for the last year with practice on G4. From what I've seen so far, the Extra should make the Typhoon feel like a brick! Can't Wait to get it built and flying! If everything works out I will take the system out of the Phoon and put it in another Extra or Edge 540 for my 12yr old Son. He can fly the Phoon but it's kinda twitchy and he doesn't like it that much, hoping a more precise plane will get him hooked on 3D.
power_slide is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:51 AM
  #54
bighead93
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: citrus heights, CA
Posts: 84
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260

Night and day comparing the Typhoon to the Extra 260! I too started my 3-D flying with the Typhoon…fun plane but yes…very twitchy. The Extra 260 is so smooth…cuts clean and tracks great! The Yak 54 full fuse is next on my list…but any of the Airfoilz profile planes will impress! If your son is just learning then I would lean more toward the Yak 54 or the Extra 260…more forgiving. The Edge 540 is a 3-Beast…spins and tumbles like nothing else made of foam I have ever flown…I am getting close to the same performance with the Extra 260…put again I have been flying my Edge 540 for almost a year…and the Extra 260 only the past month or so…especially with the crummy weather!

Take your time reading through the instructions and if you aren’t sure on a step or anything just drop a line here in the build thread…I have built 3 Extra 260…not hard at all…actually pretty fun for me! Have fun!
bighead93 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:58 PM
  #55
bighead93
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: citrus heights, CA
Posts: 84
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260

http://www.airfoilz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406

Just wanted to remind everyone if you haven't entered yet...you have only 1 day left!!
bighead93 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:26 PM
  #56
bighead93
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: citrus heights, CA
Posts: 84
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260


Quote:
ORIGINAL: power_slide

Thanks Bighead93, Glad to hear the 2215 has good power, I will be setting it up for 3D. I've been flying a Typhoon 3D for the last year with practice on G4. From what I've seen so far, the Extra should make the Typhoon feel like a brick! Can't Wait to get it built and flying! If everything works out I will take the system out of the Phoon and put it in another Extra or Edge 540 for my 12yr old Son. He can fly the Phoon but it's kinda twitchy and he doesn't like it that much, hoping a more precise plane will get him hooked on 3D.
So how were your results?
bighead93 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:34 AM
  #57
Flyboy1958
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 655
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260

Not much action on this thread. Hey bighead, did you ever put together the full fuselage Yak54?
Flyboy1958 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:17 AM
  #58
bighead93
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: citrus heights, CA
Posts: 84
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Flyboy1958

Not much action on this thread. Hey bighead, did you ever put together the full fuselage Yak54?
It is in the works...Fuse, wings just have to finish her off...very similar build as the Extra 260...but the Fuse is taller and shorter. Hope to get her finished off this weekend. I am going to start a build thread here very soon
bighead93 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:19 AM
  #59
Flyboy1958
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 655
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260

Good, I have one myself, still in the box. I've been too busy lately to start on it. A build thread would be great and give me so motivation! Keep us posted, and let us know how she flys.
Flyboy1958 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:17 PM
  #60
RamboSmurf
 
RamboSmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kingston, NY
Posts: 31
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260

Help!! I just finished my Extra 260 Build and had its madien flight. Here are some problems I can't figure out. I have wing rocking in slower flight and harriers. Back and forth and back and forth. I drew a line at the end of the wing in the middle and did the same on the aileron to line it up straight. When I moved the CG back some it lessened but was still there. As far as slow flight. I read some people had this plane flying super slow. Mine would go slow but always a danger of a stall and some times it would roll left over. I trimmed it out and it would fly straight and true at lower speed and high speed but I was limited to hovers for 3D. I put in the 2 washers under the left side to give trust as per instructions and the plane is built straight. The motor I am using will hover and has enough power to pull out, but not scream out. As far as power I am running the BP A2217-9 Brushless Outrunner Motor (Similar to AXI Gold 2217/20) (No. of Cells: 2 - 3 Li-Poly, Kv: 950 RPM/V, Max Watts:200W, Weight: 73.4 g / 2.59 oz, Poles:14, Model Weight: 300 - 1000g / 10.5 - 35 oz.
Prop SF 10x4.7, 20AESC, 1500 3Cell
Built plane came in at 25oz. with all equipment.
I am used to my flat plate smaller Foamies so maybe I'm just being stupid and this slow speed stuff, but I read that some say it flys so slow the can walk behind it. Mine I need a track star. Its flying more like a pattern plane than my other 3D's.
Should I trya differnt prop to work better. I have a Park 450, would that be a better motor? And why the wing rock? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
RS
RamboSmurf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:37 PM
  #61
msprygada
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 4
Default RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260

I have the profile Yak and the Extra 260 and they both have wing rock in harrier and I think if you read you will find others have the same thing. I have the Bipe and that is a solid harrier. Not sure why the mono wings do that and the Bipe does not. Both mono wings appear to not have rock inverted. I can fly it as slow as a fast walk, but I am working the ailerons and rudder quite a bit. I found that putting the CG at like 4" to 4.25" made the extra hover much better and fly better 3D over all. Sounds like you are a little under powered with 200 watts. I have 200 watts in my Yak profile and it is only 19 oz AUW. I have almost 300 watts and mine is the same weight as yours.





Quote:
ORIGINAL: RamboSmurf

Help!! I just finished my Extra 260 Build and had its madien flight. Here are some problems I can't figure out. I have wing rocking in slower flight and harriers. Back and forth and back and forth. I drew a line at the end of the wing in the middle and did the same on the aileron to line it up straight. When I moved the CG back some it lessened but was still there. As far as slow flight. I read some people had this plane flying super slow. Mine would go slow but always a danger of a stall and some times it would roll left over. I trimmed it out and it would fly straight and true at lower speed and high speed but I was limited to hovers for 3D. I put in the 2 washers under the left side to give trust as per instructions and the plane is built straight. The motor I am using will hover and has enough power to pull out, but not scream out. As far as power I am running the BP A2217-9 Brushless Outrunner Motor (Similar to AXI Gold 2217/20) (No. of Cells: 2 - 3 Li-Poly, Kv: 950 RPM/V, Max Watts:200W, Weight: 73.4 g / 2.59 oz, Poles:14, Model Weight: 300 - 1000g / 10.5 - 35 oz.
Prop SF 10x4.7, 20AESC, 1500 3Cell
Built plane came in at 25oz. with all equipment.
I am used to my flat plate smaller Foamies so maybe I'm just being stupid and this slow speed stuff, but I read that some say it flys so slow the can walk behind it. Mine I need a track star. Its flying more like a pattern plane than my other 3D's.
Should I trya differnt prop to work better. I have a Park 450, would that be a better motor? And why the wing rock? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
RS
msprygada is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:34 PM
  #62
harryw13
 
harryw13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Homerville, OH
Posts: 110
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260

My first flying video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4CDVx1dsKI
harryw13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:07 PM
  #63
bighead93
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: citrus heights, CA
Posts: 84
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260

Nice flying there Harry!

By the way, I am going to start a build thread on the New Airfoilz Full Fuse Yak-54 in the next couple of days! Stay tuned...
bighead93 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:53 PM
  #64
DonH21
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Crete, NE
Posts: 377
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260

I just built the Extra 260. When I opened the box and saw the 3mm foam, I tought it was going to be fragile. But after building it, I cann't beleive how strong it is. What a great tought out design! Cann't wait to fly it.

Don
DonH21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:24 PM
  #65
bighead93
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: citrus heights, CA
Posts: 84
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260

So did you get out and fly it?
bighead93 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:04 PM
  #66
DonH21
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Crete, NE
Posts: 377
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260

Oh, Yes I did!! 19oz. with out the battery. 10x4.7 slow apc prop hovers better then I usually do. Knife edge tucks a little to the landing gear. I Landed in some ruff turbulence, the grass grabbed the left wheel and spun it around over 90 degrees and dragged the right wing tip, just a little scuffed up.
Same thing happened with my Mini Funtana 2 years ago and shattered the stringers on the fuse, very fragile. I ended up sheeting the sides of the fuse with 1/16 in balas. I'm just comparing the strength of the AirfoilZ to the Funtana weight about the same, and the Airfoilz is larger as well.
I'm very happy with it.

Don
DonH21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:18 PM
  #67
bighead93
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: citrus heights, CA
Posts: 84
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260


Quote:
ORIGINAL: DonH21

Oh, Yes I did!! 19oz. with out the battery. 10x4.7 slow apc prop hovers better then I usually do. Knife edge tucks a little to the landing gear. I Landed in some ruff turbulence, the grass grabbed the left wheel and spun it around over 90 degrees and dragged the right wing tip, just a little scuffed up.
Same thing happened with my Mini Funtana 2 years ago and shattered the stringers on the fuse, very fragile. I ended up sheeting the sides of the fuse with 1/16 in balas. I'm just comparing the strength of the AirfoilZ to the Funtana weight about the same, and the Airfoilz is larger as well.
I'm very happy with it.

Don
Great to hear!! Trying moving the CG back a hair...once you have the CG dialed in the Extra will Knife edge with very little input!
bighead93 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:07 PM
  #68
DonH21
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Crete, NE
Posts: 377
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260


Quote:
ORIGINAL: bighead93


Great to hear!! Trying moving the CG back a hair...once you have the CG dialed in the Extra will Knife edge with very little input!

Thanks, I'll do that. I switched props, from a10x4.7 apc sf prop to a 11x5.5 apc e prop on my efite 480 more speed and thrust.
I'll pick up a 11x4.7 apc sf to see how it works.

Don
DonH21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:14 PM
  #69
bchoper
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Danville, VA
Posts: 60
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260

I'm thinking of getting into these "foamies" and I like the Airfoilz concept. I have some electric stuff setting (servos, 1000 mah batteries, a CC 25, and a Rimfire 35-30-950) and was wondering if ya'll think the Rimfire would be too much for one of these?

Thanks
bchoper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:12 PM
  #70
jvigani
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Somerville, NJ
Posts: 67
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260

Your Rimfire 35-30 should work fine. I would try an 11x7 prop with at least an 1800 mah 3S pack. I've flown the Extra with over 350 watts.
jvigani is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:07 PM
  #71
bchoper
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Danville, VA
Posts: 60
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260

How about a APC 12x6E with a 3-cell 2100 - 2200.
bchoper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:44 AM
  #72
jvigani
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Somerville, NJ
Posts: 67
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260

You could try it. Just check the amps. Should have lots of power, but top speed would be lower than with the 11x7 though. Depends on the flight characteristics you like. I like a little more top end for those really windy days.
jvigani is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:43 PM
  #73
5150flyer
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 223
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260

I have built four different Airfoilz designs including the FF Yak54. Great designs, but IMO the FF is too heavy for the wing. The FF combination weights about 7 oz. more than the flat version and has the same wing. When I take out the FF, I will go back to the Airfoilz flat Yak54 which is perfect for me.
5150flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:34 PM
  #74
bighead93
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: citrus heights, CA
Posts: 84
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260

That is strange...my FF came out just about 1-2 ounces heavier. I like the feel of the FF in the air more than the profiles...I really like the all
bighead93 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:22 PM
  #75
msprygada
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 4
Default RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260


Quote:
ORIGINAL: 5150flyer

I have built four different Airfoilz designs including the FF Yak54. Great designs, but IMO the FF is too heavy for the wing. The FF combination weights about 7 oz. more than the flat version and has the same wing. When I take out the FF, I will go back to the Airfoilz flat Yak54 which is perfect for me.
I built two of the FF and mine were not 7 oz heavier but they were at least 4 oz heavier. The full coverage decals add way too much weight. I know they are much easier to install but why cover a white wing with a mostly white decal, plus I could never get them to stick. They would always peal off. I just got some vinyl and cut me something to tell top from bottom and kept it simple. Kept the weight down. The Hacker 20-20L and TP 1320's on the profile is the perfect set up. On the FF, this setup is way under powered. I put the Torque recommended set up which is basically the same motor as the Hacker and it was too light on power so I put on a Torque 2830T/1095 that came on my Airfoilz Bipe (that was too small for that bird) and then I had to use 2200 batteries and then the plane was not light any longer (28 oz AUW) and the plane flew OK for sport flying but not for 3D. I would have to agree that when I did that, the plane probibly was too heavy for the wings. Then if you go any bigger in the motor, you have to go with the 2200 batteries which really adds on weight fast.

When I put my FF Airfoilz in, I will not replace it or I may just sell it. I will buy the profile Yak for as long as they have them as it is one of my favorite planes. I really like the Bipe on the Torque 2818T/900 and would buy another one of those.

I do like that the FF is a more stiff fuse but I have not found the right motor for it. I have not tried the Turnigy motors, maybe that is in the middle between the Hacker 20-20L and the Torque 1095.
msprygada is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:20 AM.