Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: e-flite pitts model 12 any good?

I think the power 25 with 2 2100 packs would be a good setup. I am using that Scopion motor and it is a little lighter which I think makes it just right. You should not have any issues - this plane flies very good. I will try to take some video this weekend for you.

Patrick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This could take a .15-25 glow right???
    If you can\'\'\'\'t dazzle em with brilliance,baffle em with BS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just got on this thread. And I thought I was going to get the E Flite but I'm not sure now. The ZG sounds like very good plane.
    Has anyone tried a glow engine in either one? I haven't looked into an engine yet but I was thinking about a small 4 stroke.
    A club member has the E Flite Pitts (electric) and he loves it and it looks very cool in the aire. Nothing against electrics but I really like the sound of a 4 stroke and think it would be a good addition to the stable.
    An input will be appricated.
    Shubova
    [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry for the spelling mistakes I should have looked closer at my last post before I sent it.
    aire = air
    Any input will be appricated.
    Shubova
    [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

har! a friend of mine just bought one of these for me (she's a great woman!).....

this was unexpected so the extra's haven't been purchased yet, I went to pick up a canopy at the hs that I'd ordered and he says "oh by the way, this is yours also" WOW!!!!! I'd been wanting it, my dad was a pilot, and always raved about the Pitts... the original that it's modeled after is parked up the road about 20 minutes or so (very cool).... so it sits on my living room floor all put together (minus CA) I do have one question......

how much travel is in the elevator when it's installed? the wood from the fuse seems to be holding this from getting much more than maybe 5 degrees either way, I'm thinking I need to make a bit more room? maybe sand out that spot in the fuse?

oh yeah, this will be my first plane... at one time I messed with gliders, I play on the simulator, but am mainly a heli guy, so any tips (especially on that landing part, lol) would be appreciated...

I plan on going with the milder setup and running 2 lipo's in paralell to get my 4200mah...

is there any way to put smoke on this?

I gotta say it, I've got a brand new t-rex sitting here and the pitts sitting here, I'm honestly falling in love with this thing!!!

\"If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective\" ~ Ted Nugent.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,
    I would check the manual and see what the measurement for the throw on the elev is. I just built an E-flite Taylorcraft and it didn't have that much throw either. These are very light plane and even through I don't own one I would think minimal throw on the elevator is required. One of our club members has one and he flies it as built per the manual. I would fly it as is and if doesn't work out for you then change it. I think you will be surprised.

I don't see the purpose of the 2 lipos. The club member that I mentioned about flies his for about 10 to 15 minutes. Changes out the battery for a freshly charged one and he is ready to fly again. I'm not sure how long it takes him to recharge the batteries but it doesn't seem that long. I've seen him fly at least 4 times in less the 4 hours and of that time he also is hanging out chatting with friends.
    Remember adding weight is not always an advantage. Adding weight is only going to shorten the flight time and affect the capabilities of the plane. So I would think that one out a little more. You may get to fly longer with more mah's but it takes longer to charge so whats the advantage?

Sorry I can't help on the smoke, as far as electrics. On gas plane they use the engine or muffler heat to create the smoke. I would think if there is one for electrics it would have to be heated with a battery and I have never seen one. I'll check with my electric guru tomorrow and if there is one I'll post the info for you.
    Good Luck and Happy Flying,
    Shubova

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello All

I want to use the rimfire motor from Tower Hobby. I wonder what others have done to extend the motor out from firewall (Horizon Hobby called them standoffs)
    The ARF came with these "stand offs" but are too short. What have you all used to extend a motor out ... not a motor mount, but these "tubes" that the bolts go thru
    to attach motor to firewall

please see this link to see a sample of the tubes: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2383

thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Have you thought about building adding a wooded bracket to the firewall?
    I would try a making a simipal box out of wood to match the firewall and the extra length you need.
    Cut or drill some holes in it to lighten it and of course add holes to mount it to the existing firewall.
    Hope this helps!
    Happy landings!
    Shubova
    [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"Stand-off" is the correct word.
    They are used up through the 150-200cc gas engines as well.
    Sears/Home Depot/Lowes usually have a selection. Generally in nylon and or metal.

I use drilled hardwood dowels instead as I can easily make them the exact length I need.
    It doesn't have to be dowel stock. It can be square, round,hex ___ no end to the variations.

Electronic Supply stores should have selections as well (that is where the name 'stand-off' came from)- meaning "stand off" from a circuit board (PCB) to avoid shorting and increase cube density.
    The ground reached up and smote my airplane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How much distance you are talking about? One would think that using a stand off would be okay but the farther away from were it is attached the more unstable it gets, depending on the size (thickness) of the standoff. It’s the leverage thing...as you add distance the weight will increase. In this case the weight includes the torque of the engine. You can do what you think is best for your situation but I would build an auxiliary box as I mention in my last post. I have seen electric motors rip of a plane in flight. I don’t know why it happened but I have seen it.
    I just had an idea…for added support you could add a wooden plate with holes in for the standoffs to go through about Β½ the distance between the engine and the firewall.
    Again I hope this helps.
    Good Luck and Happy Landings!
    Shubova
    [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

2.5 to 3" is often used on Gas set ups.

For electrics (and IC) I prefer shorter lengths but if you need that length it is a simple matter of triangulating.
    As always it really comes down to the individual builder.

Since he is talking about the E-flite Pitts it is quite short.
    The ground reached up and smote my airplane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

THANKS GUYS !!!

the replies have given me a place to look for stand offs and additional ideas to solve my problem
    i have not measured yet, but rough guess is 1.5in ... no more than 2in
    the length is to allow the motor to protrude thru cowl to allow prop installation

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just down loaded the E-Flite Pitts manual. In nitro planes they usually give you a distance from firewall to were the prop mounts but this manual doesn't seem to give it. So I quess the next best thing is to find the spec's on the motors they suggest and the distance from were they mount to were the prop mounts would be the distance you would need.
    Check it and see if that's correct.
    Good Luck
    Shubova
    [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The rimfire is about as long as the reccomended eflite motor ...
    I was able to find 1in nylon standoffs - I am 2 bolts short, so I am using OS muffler bolts to get the length I need
    This maybe still 1/4 in short, so some nylon washers should do the trick

On another topic, the guy who mentioned there was not much wood to mount the ruddr and elevator servos was SOOOO right !!!!
    I also mention my rudder tray was not fully glued in ... so beware

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello All

Need your input
    I have found the linkage rods included with the Pitts to be difficult to bend without breaking
    The Z bend pliers even broke the rods
    What do you all suggest....? Heat the rods??
    I would like to make a Z bend at the servo arm for the ailerons

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

heres mine flys really nice on 4s. I'm using a Turnigy motor and a 50 amp esc. This plane flys great but not a 3d plane. I was using the prop in the pic but have switched to a 13x5 Xoar electric prop.
    I never crash.....I just land reaallllyyyy fast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The one you received in the kit have been harded to give them more tensile strength so they won’t flex, because they don’t use a tube as in larger planes. Try bending them slowly a little bit at a time. If that doesn’t’ work, try heating the rod ends (red hot) then let them air cool. NO water that will harden the metal. Then try bending them, slowly. If you don't have a torch you can do it over a gas stove. Careful don't burn yourself.
    If all this fail to satisfy you go to you local hobby shop and buy the equivalent size in regular wire, if it flexes too much then go to the next size up.
    Good Luck and Happy Landing!
    Shubova
    [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I didn't have to do any z bends on mine, just one 90 degree. the hardware kit on mine came with some little plastic clips that went over the end of the rod and clipped on. as a side note, make sure you have the latest wings. peek through the aileron servo hatch and make sure you see shear web on the next bay inboard. the first production run was missing those and my wing broke in flight. luckily it held together and I didn't notice til I landed. E-flite sent me a shipping label and I sent them back. The new ones are much stronger.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am not sure I understand you
    I am at the point installing alerion servos
    can you give any more of a description what to look for

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I couldn’t resist any more. I bought the E-Flite Pitts a couple of days ago. So far it’s coming together pretty good.
    I spread thin CA on the inside to reinforce the joints and firewall area.
    I’m going to use a NEODM 1000kv motor (used) with a Phoenix 45 ESC. It’s a little more power then suggested but it was free, from a friend…I helped him build a plane.
    I really wanted to put a nitro engine in it but I don’t think the airframe would take the vibration.
    My friend also gave me some Hitec HS-65HB servos they should work okay.
    I’ll have to check inside the aileron servo trays to see if I have one of those old wings, your were talking about.
    I like the input that you guys are sharing in this thread…good stuff…keep it going.
    Happy Landing!
    Shubova
    [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bulldog319

I didn't have to do any z bends on mine, just one 90 degree. the hardware kit on mine came with some little plastic clips that went over the end of the rod and clipped on. as a side note, make sure you have the latest wings. peek through the aileron servo hatch and make sure you see shear web on the next bay inboard. the first production run was missing those and my wing broke in flight. luckily it held together and I didn't notice til I landed. E-flite sent me a shipping label and I sent them back. The new ones are much stronger.

Bulldog

i looking into wing from alerion hatch
    all i see is the nest wing rib
    what else should i look for

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I too am not sure what you talking about. I looked inside the wing and there is wing ribs on each side about 3/8 in from the servo door cut out. Is there suppose to be an extra rib next the the servo door cutout? I'm going to call Horizon Hobbies today and ask.
    Shubova
    [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Shubova

I too am not sure what you talking about. I looked inside the wing and there is wing ribs on each side about 3/8 in from the servo door cut out. Is there suppose to be an extra rib next the the servo door cutout? I'm going to call Horizon Hobbies today and ask.
    Shubova
    [8D]

That is what I see
    just emailed them
    cannot sit on phone at my job - will get yelled at
    so THANK YOU and please let me know what you find out

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just called Horizon Hobby. The product support rep said there are no problems with the wing. He put me on hold for about 5 minutes and checked. Maybe it was only in Bulldog's plane, I don't know. The only problem they had is the cowling didn't fit on some of the planes.
    I read Bulldogs post again, he said shear web. There are two 1/8 x 1/8 square cross pieces between the wing ribs; I think that is what he is talking about. I’m including a picture showing the one that is closest to the wing leading edge, the other one is on opposite side. Sorry it’s not to clear but I think you can get an idea what I’m talking about.
    Shubova
    [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oops! Forgt the picture...here it is!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge95421.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	1134371  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast