3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Precision Aerobatics Addiction

Old 02-07-2008, 12:54 AM
maiden-crash

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Precision Aerobatics Addiction

I've noticed there's no real thread for this plane and there's questions scattered all over the forum, so I thought it would be a better idea just to have this thread for all questions, answers and discussion. Enjoy!

Old 03-05-2008, 07:21 AM
kid chuckles

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Precision Aerobatics Addiction

Well just got mine going again. Put her in on the nose a week or so back. Atlanta Hobby sent me a new motor box and cowl. Horizon Hobby sent me a new 480 motor ( greatest CS anywhere). Did not ask questions much just sent a new replacement motor.
Have flown it a couple different times and a couple times each visit. So i guess about 4 flights since fixing it. The new Cowl was a little tighter fit over the hatch than original but works. And everything else went fine.
This plane is so easy that you can't help just flying it lower and lower. I have drug the back wheel off once also. You can spot land this thing if any wind at all. It hovers so easy it makes you look good even though i am not lol.
Then if you want you can just fly it normal and have a great time also.
It just gives you so much confidence that within a few min. your low and slow lol.
Anyone that has not seen one actually in person would not believe the hype.
It may be exageratted just a tad but not much. The only thing is you are probabaly going to crash the little thing just because you will try stuff you would not try for a yr. with a bigger heavier plane. The Funtana X, and ones such as the Funtana do not measure up at all against this little green monster.
I have tried doing the things with other small elec's and they just are so much harder to do that with them I can't do some of the things i can with the Addiction.
The Eratix is close for the size and all also just a great 3D plane especially for the size. Big wings light wing loading my type plane.
Anyone else got this plane and getting radical with it? I can't do what the guys in the vids do but do alot more than i ever could before and do it alot
lower. And i will put it back into the ground again I know it.
A little pricey for such a small plane though. And i did not care much for some of the build process.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:50 AM
dustybottles

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does anyone have photos of installation of a Dualsky XM3536CA-8. Have the model and am unsure of how to mount the motor correctly. Any help wou;d be much appreciated.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:59 PM
maiden-crash

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dustybottles, same issue with the Park 480. Make template of the mount and cut out a sheet of Ply, glue that to the front of the mount and drill holes in that to suit your motor. I chopped down my X mount from my 480 and used that.

My Addiction was in a not so happy state before, but it is fixed now, ready to cover. Had a nasty crash, I had completely refabricate the wing tips, outer ribs and fuse just behind the wing.

Luckily, it should fly again within a couple of weeks.

Cheers
Mc
Old 03-31-2008, 12:54 AM
clovus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

MC, we want photos of the progress......

clovus
Old 03-31-2008, 09:39 AM
dustybottles

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great, Thanks for the good advice Maiden. I have heard that the holes can also be enalrged and people have fitted the motor with only two screws as well. Will let you know which I decide on!
Old 04-01-2008, 12:04 AM
maiden-crash

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No probs bud. Clovus, I would but my broadband downloads have been used up, so Im at dial up speed. I'll post the pics of the final product once its covered. Not much to see, its identical as it was in the first place.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:58 PM
kid chuckles

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mounting the motor on this thing should not be such a hassel if you ask me. Precision needs to take a good look at the mount and do something to make it more user friendly. I don't know what the difference in the Thrust 20 and the Park 480 is but if it mounts the same and they already know the holes are to big then why would they not do something to correct it. I made a plate to go over the front out of flashing material. It is real thin and light almost to thin. Then having to reverse the shaft is also a job for someone that has never done that before. Me of course had not. Then when you get that done and ready to mount the motor the holes are to big. The manuel says use washers but constantly talks about weight. Catch 22 lol. But when you finally get it mounted and the plane ready it flys very good.
Maiden those wing tips are pretty flimsy to begin with i cracked one also. Used a sceringe with CA in it and got it glued without having to remove covering. Then i put clear packing tape over them to try to stiffen them some it seems to be stiffer that way. Man if you do have a not so pretty landing with the Addiction it is so light and flimsy that something seems to break when you would thing nothing would. But still is a great 3Der. I just can't resist doing things i am not thumb smart enough to do yet lol.
Dusty you can enlarge these pics and see the flashing I used to mount the motor. I traced the mount that came with motor to get the motor mount holes then cut it down and drilled the hole for the motor shaft. Hope this might help atleast give you something to look at anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75126.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	919476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28060.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	919477  
Old 04-01-2008, 10:06 PM
maiden-crash

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Kid chuckles, certainly agree with you its built very light, but it is more durable than most others, I guess they've taken their time to design this. The wing tips are a joke, though, so many lightening holes in such a crash prone area... The one I made just had the three big holes, I left the first corner part completely solid. Weight gain would probably be a few grams at most.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:25 AM
dustybottles

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Kid Chuckles-

I'd agree completely with the mounting issue. There are a lot of holes in the motor box, which just don't seem to line up with the Dualsky etc, and will only align correctly with other the PA electric motor.

It would be nice to see a standard across the industry in mounting hole dimensions (similar to 4 holes- Vesa for Plasma mounts) If one exists I am not aware of this.
This would make motor fitment compatibility issues non existent, and far easier when selecting a motor for a mount. I have contacted PA regarding these issues. (see copy of email below) It will be interesting to see their response!

To whom it may concern:-

Following the purchase of a PA addiction, I was rather confused and dismayed by the amount of non compatible mounting holes that were present on the motor mount box. I was recommended a Dualsky motor for fitment by one of your distributors of the addiction. The Dualsky motor does not however fit the standard motor mount holes. It also advises in the instruction manual against drilling holes in the motor box. I am somewhat confused how I am expected to mount this motor without enlarging the holes? I will be in touch with the supplier to see what their suggestion is.

In the meantime I would like to make a suggestion regarding motor mounting boxes, and electric motors-When will the industry set a standard for motor manufacturers and Motor mounts in general?

IE . A M10 mount fits an M10 motor. The Plasma industry have already set up a standard regarding this same issue (same 4 holes- just a little larger) and have successfully eliminated the compatibility issues that are associated with mounts and screens. There is no reason the same principal cannot work for electric motors and mounts benefitting the industry and consumers."
Old 04-02-2008, 06:28 AM
kid chuckles

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WTG DustyB, They might start to look at this. The way it is built I am afraid to do much to it. Afraid i will break something important lol. My 480 holes lined up with the bigger holes almost just a hair off. (red) lol. But it did fit just one screw a little angle on it. But took me two days of pondering to figure out what to use besides washers. If i used the washer theory then the would hit the shaft. To cover the enitire hole the washer needed it to big lol. If that is the way they want it mounted then they need to send the mounting washers they would use with the ARF.
Good idea you have to stiffen wing tips. They will bend some just by themselves. Not very strong in a place that needs reinforcing. If your not perfect landing the wing tips are the first thing to touch and the need to be stronger. Great 3D plane but not for somone that is not practiced at it lol. The low 3d stuff anyway. I can do it all 50ft. up lol.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:52 AM
dustybottles

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is the response I received from PA:-

"the motor mount fit Thrust motor, Torque motor, Hacker motor and Hyperion motor as well as a few other less known brands.
so there is a standard. i dont' know why a supplier sell a motor that doesn't fit but they shouldn't
please consider getting a Thrust 20 you will be very happy with it"

Maybe a Thrust 20 is the easiest solution after all!
Old 04-02-2008, 06:14 PM
maiden-crash

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

E-flite are getting way outdated anyway, I think Im liking the Scorpion trend. Unless E-flite get their standard up, I don't see them making sales anymore. Their motors were good a year ago, but a lot has happened in one year. And their prices are still very high. Now how does that work? On a completely different topic, Ive repaired my Addiction.[8D]

Name:	Ca82115.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	920185  
Old 04-02-2008, 07:41 PM
kid chuckles

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks good Maiden. Dusty I am pretty sure the 480 is not a below standard motor or thought so. I have had a 480 go bad after a very small crash that did not even break the prop. And now have a 25 gone bad same thing but did brake prop just a very light crash should not have affected the motors on either crash. Both were from less than 16". Was trying harrier landings on both and did not have any air speed they both touched down on landing gear and both times from same type small bump motors locked up. I landed on the nose did brake prop but did not even crack the cowling of my Eratix, same on the addiction but it landed rolled a foot and nosed over. Have another 480 that has been is a couple pretty good smack downs lol. It seems to still work fine maybe just had them hit just wrong.
Maide I like the color.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:43 PM
kid chuckles

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks good Maiden. Dusty I am pretty sure the 480 is not a below standard motor or thought so. I have had a 480 go bad after a very small crash that did not even break the prop. And now have a 25 gone bad same thing but did brake prop just a very light crash should not have affected the motors on either crash. Both were from less than 16". Was trying harrier landings on both and did not have any air speed they both touched down on landing gear and both times from same type small bump motors locked up. I landed on the nose did brake prop but did not even crack the cowling of my Eratix, same on the addiction but it landed rolled a foot and nosed over. Have another 480 that has been is a couple pretty good smack downs lol. It seems to still work fine maybe just had them hit just wrong.
Maide I like the color. BTW did you have to cut your wing tube? mine was to long
Old 04-02-2008, 08:07 PM
larry11
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does anybody know where to get a replacement wing? A left side green one to be exact.

this plane is soooo fun. To much fun today! Hence needing a new wing!

Larry
Old 04-03-2008, 12:20 AM
maiden-crash

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You can get all parts directly from www.precisionaerobatics.com.au.

Kid chuckles, I had to shorten the tube by about 10mm, mine was too long too. Regarding motors, the 480 is not below staandard, but it is no longer above it. Its an average motor, with average power and efficiency for its weight. But, its not being priced average. You can get much better motors for the price.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:29 AM
kid chuckles

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Maiden I have to replace my 25 size now I will look at other options though. Bolt pattern is what concerns me if the all have the same bolt pattern for mounting no problem but i don't know enough about other type motors. I have only used the Park 400-25 in planes I forgot i had a 400 burn up also. I think i had it over proped though. Getting the right size to replace it is another thing I wish all motor company's used the same # and just went by brand name. The ones that are 35-293-394 and so on throw's me off lol. Need to be 1- 100 or something that way you would know a 3lb. plane uses a # 5 and then you could decide on brand by price or quality or whatever. Seems easier that way to me. What would a park 25 be in other brands?
Old 04-03-2008, 06:52 PM
maiden-crash

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Take a look at the scorpion brand. You can get much lighter motors that blow your 25 out of the water. If you decide on them, let me know how it goes, I've never actually tried Scorpion.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:40 PM
kid chuckles

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Who carries Scorpion motors. My last Dirt Track car was a Scorpion Chassis lol.

Name:	Fd91031.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	921043  
Old 04-04-2008, 05:19 PM
TBPlayer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

These guys, [link=http://www.neoplanes.com]NeoPlanes[/link], carry Scorpion motors and are great to deal with.

I have a Scorpion 2215-18 that I got from them on a Charger-RC CR-1 (15 oz. shock flyer) and it goes straight up like a rocket.

-Phil
Old 04-06-2008, 06:59 AM
kid chuckles

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well bought new 25 and was unplugging old motor when i pulled wires apart my esc extensinon i had made that i had checked to make sure was plugged in one of the wires came with it. I had them taped but had came loose inside the tape and was hidden. Plugged the wire back up and presto chango my motor was fine. Glad it came loose when it did. Got my money back lol. Flew my Addiction for a little while don't have but two batteries so about 16-20 min. But man it was fun. A slight 5mph wind was perfect for hovering. I flew it very close and slow to the ground. I know better but I end up doing it anyway. It just sat in a hover for a long time. The wind was just right a would hold it there without much input from me at all. I hit right on on the throttle i guess.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:26 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Drop an email to greg@atlantahobby.com
I'm not sure what we have in stock right now... as I am on vacation, but Greg should be able to get back to you.
PLEASE be patient this week as everyone was at the Toledo show and it may take a couple days to get through the emails..

tell greg that Curtis sent ya.... He'll kick my arse when I get back!!

as to the motor issue..just out of curiousty who recommended the Dualsky?
I'm sure they are great motors, but you say it is the distributor that recommended it...
Did you contact that folks that sold you the motor directly??

I may be wrong, but AFAIK, atlantahobby.com is the sole US distributor.....

ORIGINAL: larry11

Does anybody know where to get a replacement wing? A left side green one to be exact.

this plane is soooo fun. To much fun today! Hence needing a new wing!

Larry
Old 04-07-2008, 09:29 PM
kid chuckles

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Would be great if Precision would post some pics of exactly how they mount there motors and with what hardware. There ads are great but this would help us novice building ARF put togethereeres out. I would love to see how they do it and what it looks like when they have it mounted as they suggest. They say in the manuel to use washers but don't say what size. Alot to be desired when building this plane almost like a Nitro Modes when it comes to putting this thing together. Using string and shrink wrap for servo rod adjustabilaty and if your off 1/32 then your off and you can not adjust it. This to me needs some looking into. That is how Nitro does some of there servo rods but with theres there is still some adjustability. Something Atlanta Hobby might discuss with Precision and see if somethings can be done just a little differently to make it more builder friendly. They say best 3D plane ever and it might just be if these things were adressed. But until they do it is not. Not only does it need to fly well but also be user friendly and man it is not user friendly. Or the build process isn't IMO. But still a very good 3D machine once you make the right stuff it needs to be able to fly it.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:12 PM
jameslundy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used a HACKER A30-28S and the mounting holes were perfect....the coolling holes even lined up! Now just waiting on some better weather to maiden.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service