Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

480 Park motor problems

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

480 Park motor problems

Old 02-19-2008, 07:16 AM
kid chuckles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 480 Park motor problems

I moved the shaft from front to the back of motor. Motor installed from inside of motor box. I flew the plane a few times that day and one day since. Then I dumb thumed it into the ground. I rebuilt everything but when i tried the motor it made a loud squealing noise. It got better though after a few times of throttle up and down. I went to fly it and it flew a trip and i needed to adjust on it. Took back off and the motor quit. I landed and the motor was very warm Very warm. I thought batteries were down. I hit throttle and it was as though it was locking up kinda. It really would not turn as it should at all. Like it was in a great bind of some kind. Would a bent shaft do this? It just would not turn made kinda a ratcheting noise and the prop would just move a half turn or so. Thanks for any help the motor is only a few flights old. PARK 480 40amp e-flite, 2100 TP Addiction plane.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:59 AM
jzrf6c

Default RE: 480 Park motor problems

If it got to hot one of the magnet inside could have came off. Or, it could have been knockef off in the orevious incident. The other possibility is that a wire could have burnt open. It does seem likely that this would cause the motor to lock up though.

You can send the motor to Hobby Lobby and they will test it out and see if it's fixable. Call then first though.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Fliprob17

Check it over thoroughly. You may have bent the shaft, damaged a bearing, busted a magnet loose or damaged/deformed the actual bell or motor housing (and now it is rubbing) when you crashed it.

Take a close look at the wires and make sure you don't see any bare wires showing through.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:17 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

I slightly bent the shaft on my Park 480 on a pretty bad crash. I transfered the motor to another plane but the bent shaft was enough to vibrate the plane, so I ordered a replacement shaft for it.
I replaced the shaft, and the motor works fine. However, I noticed that if I try to turn the prop clockwise, there is a lot of grinding noises. No grinding when it turns counter-clockwise.
Any suggestions as to what is causing that grinding noise?

Old 02-20-2008, 06:45 AM
kid chuckles

Well took it apart and found really nothing to speak of. the housing far as i can tell is not bent. Shaft doesnt look bent. The binding has some stuff on one of them that looks like somethng they used to hold the final wires in place. Kinda looks like glue or something. The magnets are all in place. It turns by hand seemingly good. But hook it up and it grinds and locks up. Took it to the LHS and they just said send it back. I did scratch the face of it when i had it laying between two metal pieces and i knocked the shaft thru to the other side. But they are just scratches and it flew fines before crash. Made sure my ESC was still good. At the LHS we hooked a new motor up to it and it worked fine. Guess i will try sending it in and see what they can do for me.