Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Reactor Bipe?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Thoughts on Reactor Bipe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 01:22 PM
bbagle1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Reactor Bipe?

I mainly fly 3d profiles and heli's but i really like the looks of this plane. I have plenty of 3 cell 3300mah batts which should work. They are a bit heavier than the reccomended setup but with such low winglaoding I think the plane could handle the extra weight. Also the motor I want to use is about 1 ounce heavier than the reccomended but is capable of delivering 500+ watts. I am sure I will be able to get it to balance with the big battery I want to use. Does anyone see any reason why this would not work? I will be using HS-55's all the way around which I think will be ok as I do not plan on putting huge 3d throws in this plane. I want it more for precision flying with some mild 3d. Also if anyone has seen this plane in person or heard anything about it other than what is on tower's site please let me know.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:25 AM
AOG

Default RE: Thoughts on Reactor Bipe?

I have first-hand experience with the reactor bipe and I can tell you it is really a sweet flying airplane. As with anything it's better at certain maneuvers than others, but I don't think you'll hear any complaints for what it is... I think people will be very pleasantly surprised. With good servos and the right prop it is a rock-solid harrier machine.

I think your setup will work, but you can expect to add some tail weight in order to get it to balance. The recommended 35-36-1200 GP Rimfire motor weighs 3.6oz and the GP 2100mAh 3S LiPo weighs 6.2oz. These together get the plane in perfect balance, so consider that with the batts and motor you have.

For those who have reservations because of landing gear issues and stabs breaking on the monoplane EP reactor, don't fret - both the gear and the tail have been updated on this plane and it is considerably stonger than the monoplane.

As for the build, nothing really to look out for except that you should be careful to orient your interplane struts properly (TF goes to Top, Front). ESC installation takes a bit of fishing but keeps it out of the way and leaves the batt compartment clear.

Anyway, hope this helps!

Steve
Old 03-06-2008, 07:29 PM
zac dady

Steve thanks for theinformation i have not started assembling my bipe reactor yet but i will start this week. I never knew there were any problems with the mono wing reactor. The guys i fly with have really wrung mine out. I hope to have mine ready in the next week or so. What prop are you using?
Old 03-08-2008, 10:34 AM
AOG

No problem Zac, glad to offer my 2 cents on the subject. I'm using the APC 10x5 prop for now which matches my "sport" pilot flying abilities. The all-around favorite should be the APC 10x7. The 11x7 adds more bite for 3D while keeping much of the speed the 10x7 offers. I haven't tried it yet, but I'd like to try the APC 11x5.5 which should offer plenty of thrust while keeping the plane in "low gear."

The original EP reactor was a hit or miss for people I knew. Some had no problems while some experienced all of the problems! As you may know, there's not much holding the landing gear plate on the plane and grass landings eventually rip it off. The horizontal stabs have broken on some planes b/c the balsa is 3mm thick and you have to very carefully trim off the covering from the stab ctr section before you glue it into the plane. You just can't help but score the wood in the process. Before you know it, your stab breaks. My best advice is to use plenty of thin CA to strengthen that area on your mono reactor. The new bipe uses 4mm wood and uses a hardwood spar in the stab. Also, the covering is not trimmed.... the factory uses a jig to apply it in the right spot so no knife blades contact the wood at any time.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the plane! Let us know what you think.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:58 PM
radiocontrol
My Feedback: (2)

I flew the Reactor Bipe for the first time last evening and it is a sweet airplane. Here's how I outfitted it: 2808/20 AXI outrunner motor, 30 Amp Jeti speed control, True R/C 2100 3 cell lipo, and 8x6 APC thin electric prop. The plane weighs 36 ounces with battery. At full throttle, I'm pulling 29 amps and 351 watts which translates into 142 watt lbs. I have it set on low rates for sport flying and the control throws are quick. I had to add 30% expo to aileron and elevator. This will become one of my favorite planes!!
Old 03-10-2008, 11:10 PM
iamman711

how do u know what % value expo/dual-rates to use? is it basically trial-n-error? i own the typhoon2 3d and recently bought a new tx/rx to replace the rtf tx/rx which had expo built-in already. thanks in advance
Old 03-11-2008, 01:12 PM
GP G-Rod

On a Futaba system...I think 25%-35% would be a good place to start.
Is one of those things that need to be tailored to your own desired feel.
Remember....on Futaba...it should be a negative value...and on the other brand the settings may be a positive value.
Don't be scared...Expo is your friend!
cheers
George
Old 03-11-2008, 02:13 PM
iamman711

so i have the spektrum dx6i

should be positive right? thanks for telling me. man, i dont like learnign things the hard way at all [8D]
Old 03-11-2008, 07:43 PM
radiocontrol

Dual rates are in the manual of most models. With Spektrum radios, expo is positive rather than negative. Start out at about 30% and see how it feels. You can always add or subtract from there. Remember, the more positive expo, the less sensitive the controls will feel around neutral.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:05 PM
iamman711

thanks! i recently discovered how to adjust control stick tension so in addition to expo, i'll have an uber controllable setup

great tips, great tips... thanks again
Old 03-12-2008, 02:03 AM
iamman711

so i am just using D/R + expo the following:

high rate
Aeileron 100% + 30%
Elevator 100% + 30%
Rudder 100% + 30%

low rate
Aileron 50% + 30%
Elevator 50% + 30%
Rudder 50% + 30%

Does this look about right?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:50 PM
radiocontrol

Yep, that looks good. Try the sticks and see how you like the feel. You can always increase or reduce expo.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:15 AM
LuckyArmpit

I also have this plane. I went with the rimfire thats recommended. According to the great planes rep, an 11x7 E prop works perfect.
Its one of the prettiest covering jobs I've seen. Great color combination. The control surfaces are very large therefore, not much
deflection is needed for the plane to rip up the sky.
As far as expo to use, I'd start with 50%. I have the futaba 9c so I can blend in quite a few settings.
I also asked the rep about the landing gear. Basically, I told him why do model companies assume that everyone flies
off of a paved runway? There are many of us who fly off of a grass runway. He assured me that the wood structure was
much better than previous models. We shall see. I only use at minimum 2 inch foam wheels because smaller diameter ones
get stuck on my field.

Lucky...
Old 03-17-2008, 10:20 PM
werew
My Feedback: (4)

Just bought the power system for my future Reactor Bipe, hope it works good and any input/suggestions are appreciated.

I wanted to go with a motor that won't leave me yearning for more power as I get used to its characteristics and start doing a little 3d'ing, so I just picked up an E-Flite Power15, 950kv. With the plane weighing around 36oz/2.25lbs I got these figures on motor watts and watts per pound:

With plane weight @ 36oz.
@9.9volts & 34A = 336watts = 149.6 watts per pound
@9.9volts & 42A = 415.8watts= 184.8 watts per pound

With plane weight @ 38oz.
9.9volts & 34A = 336watts = 141.72 watts per pound
9.9volts & 42A = 415.8watts = 175 watts per pound

For an ESC I picked up the Thunderbird 54. This might bite me in the butt later on, allowing a little more amps going to the motor than the motor is rated for. The Power 15 motor is rated for 42A max burst, and this ESC allows 54A max. I'm using FP EVO25 2170mah 3s & TP 2100mah 15c 3s batteries.

I had 4 Spektrum 75 digital servos, 19oz/in torque @ .11 sec. speed.

I think i'll try the 10x7 APC at first and try to find an 11x5.5 APC.

How does my setup sound so far? Did I do my math correctly
Old 03-19-2008, 12:10 PM
GP G-Rod

ORIGINAL: LuckyArmpit

I also have this plane. I went with the rimfire thats recommended. According to the great planes rep, an 11x7 E prop works perfect.
Its one of the prettiest covering jobs I've seen. Great color combination. The control surfaces are very large therefore, not much
deflection is needed for the plane to rip up the sky.
As far as expo to use, I'd start with 50%. I have the futaba 9c so I can blend in quite a few settings.
I also asked the rep about the landing gear. Basically, I told him why do model companies assume that everyone flies
off of a paved runway? There are many of us who fly off of a grass runway. He assured me that the wood structure was
much better than previous models. We shall see. I only use at minimum 2 inch foam wheels because smaller diameter ones
get stuck on my field.

Lucky...
Hello-
We paid special attention to the landing gear mounting area on the Reactor Bipe.
I think you will find that the overall design of this airplane is very strong, without sacrificing weight.
Best of luck with your Reactor Bipe...I think you will find that it will perform very very well on the recomended Electrifly components.
thanks-
George
Great Planes/Electrifly
Old 03-24-2008, 06:13 PM
arasdaddy

I also just bought the Reactor Bipe but I'm going crazy looking for a motor for it. I have never tried the motors they recomend so I'm a bit hesitant on the Rimfire. I have never heard anything about them ( good or bad ). I have been looking into the Axi 2814/16 this is a very cole motor to the Rimfire specs or the 2820/12 but weighs 5.3 oz but will pull a 53oz 3D plane. My biggest concern is that I don't want a motor that will barely fly this 3D plane, I want more power than I need, but still want a light plane I can float by...........Some one help me PLEASE!!!
Old 03-24-2008, 10:12 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

What would be the best servos to use for this plane? Hitec 65mg's? I see tower recommends the S3114's.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:32 PM
FoamyVictim

I just ordered mine with 3114s all around. I've had a good experience when I equip my GP plane as they recommend, and based on the vids, I think it'll work pretty well. I hope to have mine before Friday, I'll take plenty of pics as I build, and a complete report of the maiden and subsequent flights, mods, etc... STOKED about this new bird!
Old 06-08-2008, 06:26 AM
chris walter
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim

I just ordered mine with 3114s all around. I've had a good experience when I equip my GP plane as they recommend, and based on the vids, I think it'll work pretty well. I hope to have mine before Friday, I'll take plenty of pics as I build, and a complete report of the maiden and subsequent flights, mods, etc... STOKED about this new bird!
Looking forward to seeing your pics and reading your reports as you build.

thanks

Chris
Old 06-08-2008, 12:03 PM
FoamyVictim

Sad story, but looking forward to a happy ending:

Well, I tried to post the pics, but they won't work on this site. So here's link to our site:

http://z6.invisionfree.com/Bug_Bite_...=92&st=0&#last
Old 06-28-2008, 05:32 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Would this plane be suitable for a OS 25 or Webra 36 glow engine conversion you think ?

I need a plane for my small engines that I have lying around doing nothing......
Old 08-17-2008, 05:28 PM
scalenut07

Did this thread die or what? I just ordered my Reactor Bipe from Great Planes, I was hoping that someone would do a build thread on it. I will if no one else wants to. I plan on going with the stock set-up that GP recommends, and either the Futabe 7C or the new 10C. The reviews in model magazines have given this plane high marks, so lets get this thread going.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:21 PM
sseward
My Feedback: (1)

I just maidened my Reactor Bipe yesterday. This thing is awesome! I'm not great at 3d, but this plane made me look like a genius! It had no bad characteristics (I'm using the recommended setup) and I enjoyed the heck out of flying it. When flown flat out on a pass this thing will move. I had no problem with hovering and just flipped it all over the place. With the low rates set I was able to bring it to a nice slow landing.

What really impressed me is that I had absolutely no trimming out on the first flight. Use the wing alignment jigs provided and the aileron setup is spot on!

Using my thunder power 2100 packs (I have two) I was able to get 6-7 minutes of flight each. This draws a lot more current than my other electrics I use the packs in.

Steve
Old 08-18-2008, 11:14 PM
oly_rcer

just picked up the bipe and got it home. if this thing flys as good as it looks i'l be on happy camper looks like they really took the time to do the prefab on this,looks like it will go together pretty easy.am ordering the power sys and elects for it now, getting 4 hs65 servos
a turnigy 35-36 motor and a 40 amp esc with a 3-5a 6 volt switchable besc.have a friend using the turnigy motors and they have a lot of torque should be enough.only prob is i have to finish my stryker first then this.will let ya know how it flys from a fairly new flyers pov.and yes i have flown some foam 3d planes and bipes so i can actually keep it in the air for a bit lololol cya
Old 08-19-2008, 10:41 AM
tubamike78

I have been thinking of getting a bipe for awhile now. looking at either the reactor bipe or the e-flite pitts. i'm leaning more towards the reactor since i already have 15 3s 2200 lipo's for my other electrics where as if i go with the pitts i'd have to get bigger lipo's. think i will get this in winter for a winter project to fly next spring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.