Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Getting First 3d Plane Yak or extra 300s

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Getting First 3d Plane Yak or extra 300s

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 01:50 AM
azrhcp84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting First 3d Plane Yak or extra 300s

Going to start off with one of the two I cant decide either the great planes extra 300s or the yak 54... both 41" ish wingspan... and about 100 each afr kit.... is there any major differences in performance or just looks?
Old 06-12-2008, 07:54 AM
Fliprob17

Default RE: Getting First 3d Plane Yak or extra 300s

The Extra is going to be a much easier learning curve. It will be a lot more forgiving, and will give you more time to react than the YAK will. Just my 2cents.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:34 AM
rballz

Going through a similar situation myself. I'm flying a T-28 Trojan and Super Cub right now, grew up 40 size nitros. I've always wanted an Extra 300 kit AND to get into 3D flying.

I decided to spend a little more on the 3d Hobby Shop Extra 300 SHP 47" model.

I based the decision the comments that can be found here and other spots on the Internet concerning their kits AND the level of support they provide.

I also picked up a Great Planes U-Can-Do 3d EP so I had a foamie to train with as well.

I've read a lot that the Extra's are indeed more forgiving - I like the looks of both anyway.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:50 PM
azrhcp84

can anyone explain more forgiving? I am wanting to do flow 3d flight ect.. hovering is this the right hcoice for me? and what makes it more ofrgiving? the wing deisg? ect thanks
Old 06-12-2008, 04:30 PM
rballz

*warning* no idea how far from correct I am here but....

I'm sitting here trying to think of how to put "forgiving", in regards to flight, into words...

I would probably look at it as a measure of how easy it is to recover from a "mistake" or perceived mistake?

being that I WILL make PLENTY of mistakes I want a forgiving aircraft - possibly at the expense of a little performance.

As a pilot begins to make LESS mistakes a hot yet not so forgivable aircraft becomes more of a viable option I think.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:47 PM
azrhcp84

ok sounds good I will go with the 300 first...
Old 06-12-2008, 06:54 PM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

If it's a first 3D'er pick a crappy one. You'll learn more. As far as tendencies of the two chosen, a Yak will appear to want to pass the big air scoop in front thats always trying to slow it down, combined with tendencies to fly amazingly straight lines. Go figure. An Extra will fly nice , smooth sexy lines but the tail will get washed out in manouvers with high g loads. Wrinkle that one out too. What ever you do don't get a Katana cause they fly too dang nice for learning the bad stuff.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:22 AM
Fliprob17

ORIGINAL: rballz
Going through a similar situation myself. I'm flying a T-28 Trojan and Super Cub right now, grew up 40 size nitros. I've always wanted an Extra 300 kit AND to get into 3D flying.

I decided to spend a little more on the 3d Hobby Shop Extra 300 SHP 47" model.

I based the decision the comments that can be found here and other spots on the Internet concerning their kits AND the level of support they provide.
Nice choice I have had the Yellow version in action for about 10months now. Absolutely love it. Can't say enough about the construction quality associated with all of the 3DH kits.

More forgiving, a little tough to explain, but the YAK has a much shorter tail and tends to react more to very small control inputs. You have to always be on top of the sticks with the YAK, and it will tend to get away from you if you are not. The Extra just seems to give you more time to react and correct. Again, just my 2cents.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99395.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	969720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99835.jpg
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	969721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80690.jpg
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	969722  
Old 06-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Sp33d

Yaks fly 3D much better. Extras tend to snap out and wing rock more. I've had the GP Yak 41", very nice, fun airplane. I dont know what you mean by forgiving. If you are looking for a forgiving plane, get a trainer lol. In 3D you don't want a "forgiving" airplane.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:50 PM
lilhachet
My Feedback: (2)

I bought the 300, cuz the guy at the lhs said it would be a good starting point. My first. He also put the park 480, e-flight motor and a 40 amp ESC, also e-flight. He said it would be really fast with that motor. Man, he was so far off. Only if 20 MPH is fast? What other motor would be faster then the 480?I've tried different props, and the 11/7 was the best. But I don't want to spend $200.00 either. Any hepd would be nice. Thanks, Guy
Old 06-20-2008, 02:37 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which is better depends on the design ... seen so many Yak's that are so nice to fly, example the QQ Yak and also seen so many Extras that handle well, Fliton/Extreme Flight. Some Extras have mid wings just like Yaks and they are nice to 3D. Frankly, it all depends on the design, in short the particular brand of plane.

More forgiving may be described as a plane that does not stall on you that fast, allows you to fly slower with little wing rock and its not inherently twitchy.