Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

g p yak 55 maiden

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 01:49 PM
oly_rcer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default g p yak 55 maiden

so i picked up a yak 55 3d foamy(not the flexi flyer) from tower for 31.00 had everything else for it used a gws 2212/13 brushless and tried diff props.
my friend helped hand launch it,i checked all control surfaces before launching and things looked good so far,had a 9x4.7 prop on it as i gave it throttle he launched it and it went up about 30-40 feet and then i was going to trim it out.not sure but i think i did something wrong cause soon as i hit up elev the plane went into a nose dive,damn didnt notice elev servo was reversed lol,straight down and nose first into the ground.looking it over the whole nose piece was broke off the battery box fell out,the rudder pulled out of place but no wing damage bummer.so i'm looking at it and thinking duct tape is a good thing lol,30 min later and about 2 ounces of duct tape later i thought ahaa ready to at least try.so off we go again hand launch and up up and away finally got to trim it out but was nose heavy tried an inverted and it dived for the ground again.hmmm bent nose again but no other damage so fixed that and off again,lots of roll coupling in a knife edge at low altitude wing into the ground again.no damage lol.off again and this time as i'm flying my buddy and i see something fall off the plane.this plane has a full elevator and the left side completly fell off(the carbon rod snapped)buddy is saying bring her in if i can.well i'm still flying it and trying to see if it will fly,damn flys better with only half an elevator.after that i ran out 2 batts using a 10x7 prop and 1000 mh 3s batts got about 20 min per batt.great flight had a blast.got home and removed all the tape and got out the gorilla glue and epoxy repaired the nose from the wing forward,fixed the rudder and elev(was thinking i would fly with half an elevator it did so good but fixed it anyhow)plane now looks almost new again and flies great calls for 14oz but with repairs it came to 15.5 oz still climbs fast vertical with a 10x8 prop and now i'm working on getting the aileron coupling with the mix in the radio i am going to order another of these to keep when i finally kill this one(i'm new to 3d ).great and sturdy little plan for 31.00 and as much fun as my slowstick too now soon as i learn to fly without crashing a reactor bipe is on the list,i love the way bipes fly,had a couple of foamies that flew well. have fun oly
Old 06-13-2008, 11:04 AM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: g p yak 55 maiden

Yeah, I've had one for about 3 years. First time out, flew into the only light pole around in the middlel of the parking lot I was in. Threw it back in the air and kept flying. More than once I hit the wrong direction on a control and went staight down and nose in from about 10 feet. Just added more glue around the wing root and went up again the next day. Besides the shaft in the motor gearing being bent, nothing else was broke. I found that when you use a Thunder Power 1320 battery, the lower weight really shows on this thing. You can slow it down and float through the air and get some trick 3D stuff going on.

Regards

PilotLight
Old 06-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Flyin C

Default RE: g p yak 55 maiden

great job! Foam is wonderful, so easy to repair