Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

New to 3D. Need indestructible plane

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

New to 3D. Need indestructible plane

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:23 PM
barlowe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to 3D. Need indestructible plane

whats the best, most indestructible, forgiving 3d plane for a beginner? i have rc plane experience but would like to leard the fine art of 3d flying.

thanks!!
Old 06-13-2008, 06:34 AM
kid chuckles

Default RE: New to 3D. Need indestructible plane

For this get the cheapest one you can find lol. Lots of 3D planes. There is one that is supposed to be nearly industr well hard to bend lol. Can't right off hand think of the name of it. Made where you can bend it and stuff and it bends back. Made of foam. I am sure someone on here knows.
Precision Aerobatics has a couple 3D planes that are just great for it. But they are a little pricey and also they break real easy. But they will float around and doing 3d stuff is easier with them as they only weigh 18oz or so. If I were you I might think about a profile type foamy. You can hot glue them back togehter easy. Any wide wing with very low wing load would be my guess.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:53 AM
Spiccoli

You have several options here depending on what kind of money you want to spend. Your best option is probably a plane from EPP foam. Go to e-foamies.com and look at their planes. The Revolution 3D is an excellent 3D trainer. Then later you could fly their Extra, Yak, or Edge when you're ready for more advanced things. I have flown the Revolution and Extra myself. I can assure you they are great. They are rather pricey though. But a crash that would destroy a balsa plane might not even damage these planes. And what little damage they sustain is easily and quickly repaired with a little UHU Creativ glue, which you can get at Michael's craft stores.

Another EPP plane you may consider is the Hobby Lobby Super Zoom, which is also the same as a Hyperion Sniper. I haven't had one of these, but they are highly regarded on these forums. People say they fly great and since they are EPP foam they have that same "indestructability".

A cheaper option is a depron flat foamie. A good example of this is the DW Foamies Yak 54. Go to dwfoamies.com and check out their planes. They are around $25 to $40 for a kit, depending on what size you want. I've had the Yak Jr., which has been very good. I'm probably about to get their 38" Juka. You could also go to Foamy Factory and 3D Foamy and download plans for their planes if you would like to scratch build from a sheet of Depron. This can be a lot of fun if you like building and painting.

Whatever you decide good luck to you. I'm sure there will be a few others who will come on here and make good recommendations. I would stay away from balsa though, and that includes Precision Aerobatics and 3D Hobby Shop. I've got a PA Addiction and it's great. However, one hit and it'll be toast. I've also had the 3DHS Extra and it was also very good. But these are $150 planes and I wouldn't risk one for a first time 3D pilot. Get the EPP or Depron planes and make your mistakes on those. Then once you have you are more seasoned and confident you can get the PA, 3DHS, or Extreme Flight planes.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:10 AM
oly_rcer

ORIGINAL: kid chuckles

For this get the cheapest one you can find lol. Lots of 3D planes. There is one that is supposed to be nearly industr well hard to bend lol. Can't right off hand think of the name of it. Made where you can bend it and stuff and it bends back. Made of foam. I am sure someone on here knows.
Precision Aerobatics has a couple 3D planes that are just great for it. But they are a little pricey and also they break real easy. But they will float around and doing 3d stuff is easier with them as they only weigh 18oz or so. If I were you I might think about a profile type foamy. You can hot glue them back togehter easy. Any wide wing with very low wing load would be my guess.
i think that your thinking of the great planes yak 55 flex flyer made of foam and bendable there are a few reviews if you do a search that plane runs about 60-70 or so another one i can say is really beatable for learning 3d is the great planes yak 55 ep 3d(not the flex flyer) i have one with an ultrafly 12 motor and 1000mh lipo and it really takes a beating but flies well this is 31.00 at tower hobbies have fun and enjoy the flights
Old 06-19-2008, 01:00 AM
maiden-crash

Simple. EPP. Cheapest upfront isn't always the cheapest in the long run. One good EPP plane will outlast 5 depron planes in the learning process, if not more.

Kid Chuckles, I don't really agree that PA planes are fragile. They are very crash resistant compared to most other electrics and can take hits that would basically destroy an Eflite or Fliton plane. They are certainly not as durable as an EPP plane, but for a built up wooden plane they are very tuff.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:22 AM
hellblastervolly

Barlowe.

All the planes advice are good choose the one you like moust. But to learn 3D do it in a sim because is the best, most indestructible, forgiving 3d plane for a beginner and when you know the manuver then try it on your plane. You can still fly your plane wile you learn so you can get a feel for it.

Fernando
Old 06-19-2008, 02:25 AM
Coonak

Search button is your friend.....
There is no such thing as an indestructible plane.

If you want something that can be glued and set with kicker in seconds get any EPP plane such as The Flash or Hyperion Sniper / Super Zoom.
The floppy Great Planes Flight Flex Yak55 is great but tears easily, I learnt to hover using one of these over long grass.

I agree with Maiden-Crash the PA line is definitely at the top end of tuff blasa planes.... and as others have said, get it sussed in the sim first then apply it to a foamy.

Good luck,

Mick
Old 06-19-2008, 04:29 AM
Witterings

As others have suggested avoid Balsa and look at EPP, the Flash and Zoom / Superzoom are good as well as some of the MS Composite planes http://www.mscompositusa.com/
You could also possibly look at the Multiplex Acromaster whcich isn't EPP but Elapor and still very durable, if I was back at that stage I think I'd be very tempted by waiting and getting a Multiplex ParkMaster http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3StpUfq28qg which is due out any minute and if it's anything like Multiplex's other products and is made out of Elapor could be an excellent choice.