Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!
View Poll Results: A poll
E-Flite Tribute FX
21.62%
Hobby Lobby Yak
13.51%
Other (Then please mention below in forum)
29.73%
DW Foamies Yak
24.32%
Multiplex Acromaster
10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Best Foam 3D Plane

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:54 AM
jacobgeorge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Foam 3D Plane

I have read alot of forums on each of these planes but i cant figure out which one is the best all around (durability, ability, ect.). If you have another suggestion please state it.
Thanks,
Jacob
Old 07-11-2008, 11:42 AM
surfrjeff

Default RE: Best Foam 3D Plane

If you already checked out the Multiplex acromaster its a sweet flyin bird, it has a 3D body so its not a profile, it has a 43" wingspan and its pretty durable.

Thanks, Jeff
Old 07-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The DW Yak 54 is a very good and solid 3D flyer. Flies like on rails. And the combo pack starts at $109.99, and that includes a motor, ESC, 4 servos, and your choice of a 38" kit. About $20 extra gets you a 3 cell 1000 mah 20C lipo, which all combined perform excellently. Weight should be around 14 or so oz. if you use that equipment and a micro receiver.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:05 PM
dashunde

Of them all I've only had the HL Yak... alot of fun for what it is. Reasonably robust being 6mm depron.

So here's the thing though...
The Yak is anywhere from $17 to $25'ish depending on whether or not you catch it on sale.
Keep that in mind for a minute...

I powered my HL Yak with a Rimfire 22M-1000 and its BL8 esc on a 9x3.8 prop powered by a 630 3cell lipo with HS55's for servos..
It flew just fine... but it still flew like a flat foam plane.
So after I crashed mine up to destruction, and that really does not take much I replaced it with a Efoamies R3D Mini.

The R3D Mini uses ALL of the Yaks gear - and I mean everything - so for that stuff, the cost is the same.
The Mini cost me about $80 (ouch) BUT... I've been having a rough & tumble blast with it for over a year!
It has put up with some seriously nasty cartwheels, nose-in's, flops, and tail-first dirt diving.
It is by FAR the most fun, relaxing, agile and durable plane I own.

Ok... back to price... Here's the deal, considering the HUNDREDS of wipe-outs, its an absolute, without doubt, money saver in the long run. By comparision to the Yak, the little R3D has saved me not only money, but it has also saved me wasted trips to the field only to go home early and broken, as well as lots of repair or rebuild time.
Every tear or ding I've put in mine fixed in an hour with a $3 tube of GOOP from Target or WalMart.

So how does it fly?
LOADS of fun! Example, it will do a sort of hover to knife edge waterfall and back into hover.
It has huge control surfaces for its size and will get in and out of trouble easily, so it's fairly sensitive - use expo.
It's not the stiffest thing out there, so it does do a few odd things, but nothing seriously foul - it just has some flex (and thats why it rarely tears or breaks)
Once you get used to it, it will fly smoothly, gracefully, and go right where you point it.
It floats around nicely and can even handle a bit of wind, and if the wind is slow and steady it even adds to the fun.
One of the best parts about the Mini, is that it lasts long enough to get to "know" it, and even to this day I am easily the most comfortable with it - in that way it even surpasses my Airfoilz and the rest.

Its one of a kind really, I have not found another plane out there quite like it.
You can get it at http://e-foamies.com/store/catalog/p...products_id=40
Get a couple extra HS55's while your at it - You'll strip them out more often than you will seriously damage the plane.

If you build it right... I'll buy it from you if you dont like it. [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 07-11-2008, 08:56 PM
jacobgeorge

Dashunde,
Thanks for the advice on the R3D, it really does look like a good, solid plane. The only draw back to me is that is 80.00 like you said, but i found this website called rchotdeals.com and it looks like the electronics are extremely cheaper(just doesnt have the name brand) so this means that i might be able to afford this plane. And I'm impressed to see how much confidence you have in that plane that you would be willing to buy another!!!

Lilbanchee,
I have heard the same thing but i had no idea that there was a combo so that also might be the way to go! They both seem to be good planes and nobody has said anything negative about either!

Thanks for the comments,
Jacob George
Old 07-11-2008, 11:07 PM
dashunde

Jacob... keep an eye on the cheaper stuff, some of it will be too heavy.
I'd at least stick with the Rimfire/BL8 combo... its cheap enough. For lipos, the 2dogrc (Dualsky) 630's are great, I have a small pile of them, good packs.
The Rimfire is a pretty tough motor too. Mine has put up with more than one nose dive into asphalt. Cant go wrong with it.
As for the rest, it doesnt matter much.. the first servos I used in the R3D were cheapies stolen from a Blade CP helicopter.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:12 AM
jacobgeorge

If i were to buy the R3D would the battery they suggest be a lack of power for the airplane because the battery you used is about double the power of the battery they suggest.
Thanks,
Jacob
Old 07-12-2008, 09:40 AM
dashunde

Jacob, I built mine with what I already had laying around.
Yea, mine is overweight. However, it still flys/floats just fine.
It also has vast amounts of spare power. And that translates to looong flight times if I'm not pounding on it.
I always fly outdoors.. so I dont mind the higher wing loading.
It would not do well indoors... too heavy, too fast.

Its up to you.
What they recommend is (of course) just fine.
Without doubt, their lighter weight set-up will in fact fly better (in zero wind) and cause less load and flex.

I have a few Dualsky 430 3cells and I have noticed that it flys lighter and better on them, but the run times are noticeably less.

Its up to you... just know that it will tons of fun either way.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:03 PM
jacobgeorge

Dashunde,would this set up work in the future for a R3D:[link]http://www.shop.depronwest.com/product.sc?categoryId=28&productId=57[/link](will all of it work, some of it, ect.)
I really want the R3D now but, I think it is going to be too expensive. So here is what I think I am going to do(If the set up works out): I will get the DW foamie and then switch over to the R3D when i get tired of the DW. Will that work ya think???
Thanks,
Jacob
Old 07-14-2008, 06:25 AM
MikeBiv
My Feedback: (1)

I'm going to vote for the HL Yak . There on sale for $11 to $14 bucks so you can learn and practice without fear
The Roll rate is the fastetest of any plane I've ever flown, CG very Easy to get right and the Motor for it costs
between $12 and $$20 bucks.

The Tribute FX 3D isn't exactly what I'd call pure 3D or Pattern, a Cross Between the Two and It excels at being a great sport FLyer
Truley a Formosa Killer, If that what your looking for.

I have not flown the Other planes but it's rare that I don't actually like a Plane. Except Flatouts and I wasn't very happy with My E-flite Sobre
too Heavy For F3A.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:49 AM
dashunde

Honestly, I dont know... I've never run a high Kv motor and 2cell packs.
It looks like roughly the same specs as the Dualsky combo for the R3D.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:14 PM
jacobgeorge

Dashunde,
Do you think this motor is powerful enough for the R3D: [link]http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the-674/2712-dsh-12-Brushless-Motor-%26/Detail?sfs=20bee0ab[/link]
Old 07-16-2008, 09:58 AM
ekotil

In no particular order: the Multiplex Acromaster, Airfoilz Edge, Copperhead Extra, Uzi XXL and Super Zoom regular and XXL will literally "Blow Away" the planes mentioned in the survey. 1 or 2 of those planes in the survey should have never seen the light of day!IMHO
Old 07-16-2008, 12:51 PM
3D Romeo
My Feedback: (111)

The Uzi may fly great...But it has got to be the most over priced piece of foam in existence!!!

You can buy built-up planes with lots of extras (like the PA Addiction) that fly just as good, if not better, for much less money.

Heck...You can even buy some 1/4 scale airplanes that cost less than the Uzi LOL!

I have to agree with you that some of the planes in that survey should never have seen the light of day though LOL.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:48 PM
jacobgeorge

Thanks for all the suggestions! Is the park flyer gee bee 3d any good?
Old 07-21-2008, 05:50 PM
BoysToys

I love my [link=http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=69]Copperhead Aviation Extra Stiffy[/link]. It flies great and being made out of EPP it is super tough!
Old 08-06-2008, 11:27 AM
patrick randall

Just ordered a mini R3D EPP from e-foamies using their recommended stuff:

1 x EPP R3D-mini ARF (EPPR3DMINIAR) = $88.00
Color Tribal
1 x Xmotor XM2812CA-33 (80W) Brushless Motor (XM2812CA-33) = $36.00
1 x Motor Mount Screws (10pk) (EFMMMSCREWS) = $3.00
1 x Berg 4 MicroStamp Receiver (CCBERG4MS) = $38.00
Crystal Channel 11
3 x Blue Bird 4.1g Servo (BMS303) = $51.00
1 x Micro Dean Type Connectors (MICRO2PCON) = $4.00
1 x Dubro XL 3D Servo Arms (DUB3DARMS) = $5.50
1 x GOOP Adhesive (GOOP) = $6.00
1 x Dualsky 10a BL ESC (XC1010BA) = $25.00
2 x XPower 300 GT 3-cell (XP03003GT) = $48.00

Everything ok?
They don't specify a prop and I wonder how I attach it to the motor?
Are the instructions online anywhere please?
Patrick in Port Charlotte, FL

Old 08-07-2008, 03:10 PM
suitcase
My Feedback: (1)

I have two foam planes. One is the Charger RC yak with 38" wing. Using Eflite 400 outrunner and HS 55s. It flys better than any plane I own. It is stable and goes where it's pointed. I also have the DW Foamie Yak JR with the 25" wing. It was much more time consuming to put together and I'm ready to do away with the all the pull-pull controls now. I've flown it once, outside, and I thought it was windless. This is for sure an indoor plane. ANY wind makes landing almost impossible. Not saying it isn't a good product just more involved building than I expected. The Charger was put together and ready to fly in about three hours.