Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

which foamy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:19 PM
RiseAgainst017

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which foamy?

im looking to maybe get a 3D foamy, i was looking at the e-flite funtana 300, i want something that i could possibly fly in a small area, i was also interested in the byp yak, but its discontinued, does anyone know why?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: which foamy?

You can try a DW Foamies Yak 54 Jr. It's maximum weight is just under 5oz., and with a 28" wingspan, it's perfect for any small gymn. There is a combo package that starts at $129.95, and includes your choice of 3 planes. The combo includes a Hacker A10-15S outrunner, a Mojo 10 amp BL ESC, and three 4 gram servos, that all work well. All you need is a ~400 mah 2 cell lipo pack, a GWS 8x4 prop, and a small ~10 gram receiver.

My advice to you is to put in an HS55 on the ailerons to give you a bit more authority, but it adds a bit more weight. If you're going to be strictly flying indoor, then use the 4 gram servos.

I'm not trying to sell it to you, just advising you to check it out. I've got one using ame motor, ESC, and a thunder power 480 mah 2 cell lipo, 2 HS 55 servos and a cirrus CS101 servos, and the plane flies great. Holds knife edge very well with minimal input, and hovers very well too. It will handle very light winds (nothing over 3-4 mph), but it flies the best indoors.

I absolutely love flying mine. I'm having a total blast with it, and it's the perfect all around 3D machine. Assembly also takes less than 2 hours, if you take a good ammount of time, and have everything you need right in front of you. I can get one built in under an hour, but that's becasue I've built over 15 foamies

www.dwfoamies.com is the website. There is a support forum on there too, incase you need any help, or get into some trouble with assembly.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:06 AM
Spiccoli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Yak Jr. is definetly a good plane. I wouldn't use an HS-55 on the ailerons though. Get a Dymond D47 for the ailerons. It only weighs 4.7 grams and has 20 ounces of torque. That's about 30% more torque than an HS-55 and about 40% less weight. I used Bluebird 4.1 gram servos on the tail. Mine flew great and was pretty durable considering how many times I banged it into the ground. The 38" version is probably next for me.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The weight on my yak was 4.0 oz. on the money, even with the HS 55 servo. I don't like dymond servos, as they tend to strip easily, and you have to buy new ones each time, instead of being able to get new gear sets.