Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Greatplanes Flatouts

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 01:48 PM
planestrainscars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greatplanes Flatouts

Hello, I'm thinking about going to the electric planes I'm looking at the Greatplanes Flatouts for my first, I have 2 questions: how much wind can they be flown in and how long are the flights with the recommended set-ups? Thanks, Ted.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:25 PM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Greatplanes Flatouts

0 wind and about 3 sluggish minutes. On a scale of one to ten in the foamy world they rank...... well they are so bad they don't rank. More like stank.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:32 AM
wedgewing

ORIGINAL: altavillan

0 wind and about 3 sluggish minutes. On a scale of one to ten in the foamy world they rank...... well they are so bad they don't rank. More like stank.
Plainstrainsandcars

If you buy a Flatout, buy the RCU Bipe. It is the strongest of the versions and I am guessing altavillan is speaking about his experience with any of the single wingers.

If you intend to fly outdoors, you also have to walk away from some of the building materials and methods the instructions call for. I have zero luck with the foam safe CA holding the flight surfaces, especially in some stiff winds. If you don't go crazy, you can build this model with hot glue, which is what you will use to repair it anyway when it gets dings.

If you have wind around you you will have to reinforce the horizontal edges by gluing a thin nylon zip tie (minus the clasp) on the edges of each side. that little step keeps it from cracking in the wind or really aggressive maneuvers. I also glue them around the leading edges of the wing

I use standard control horns (not theirs as they are flimsy and break). I also use thin piano wire for the elevator and rudder control rods. I only use their carbon rods to link the ailerons (top to bottom). I regularly fly this plane in winds of excess of 15 mph and harrier it and have fun.

Landing gear is an additional necessary mod, but a simple one. I have also added small foam wheels instead of the garbage provided (I don't fly in gyms - I land in my caldesac or in my back yard). One of the pictures I have added shows three 1/2 inch foam biscuits I cut and glued together and slid up the landing gear and glued to the bottom of the plane. If you don't do this and attempt to land in grass or catch a wheel the carbon rod landing gear can tear up your wing as it is mounted behind the leading edge. do this step and it will never happen

Not a ton of mods, but I actually learned to fly on this plane a few years ago. It flies nice and slow and has very good maneuverability. you will not hear a lot of good things about Flatouts, but that is because the answers are coming from guys that are flying in gyms, worried about every gram, or have most likely flown the single wing versions. If they are in that camp, they would think these planes are crap. I am not and my last one lasted 2 years and it is always windy here.

Wedge
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61798.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1013935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78536.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1013936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70608.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1013937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88117.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1013938  
Old 08-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The flatouts just aren't that great of planes. There are several several better planes, that perform way better.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:39 PM
wedgewing

lilbanchee

which one did you fly, or was that statement based on experience of others? If he is to steer from a Flatout, can you suggest to him an ARF alternative that helps him with something other than a good gym flier, which is does not sound like he wants and something that will fly well in reasonable wind?

I pretty much cut my own foam planes and have the RCU Bipe for driveway fun, and it actually does fly well so I won't get in a debate about that. There are numerous mods that I don't think anyone other than a scratch builder should have to do, but the ones I do help this beleaguered model.

Would this one be a good starting point for him, or can you suggest another

E-Flite Sobre 3D Profile http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL1100 as an ARF alternative to
Old 08-19-2008, 05:32 AM
Fast Guy

I have a Great Planes Matt Chapman Flat-out with the brushless upgrade and it flys very well in winds up to 10mph. Fun flying horizontal in one spot. With a 3s 640ma lipo I get about 12 min of 3D flight. altavillan may be thinking about the first generation flatouts. There are many different 3D foamies at our club ant the GP Flatout flys as well as any of them.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:15 AM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

The good thing about Flat Out's is, they come with an amazing amount of carbon fiber rods. However it takes an equaly amazing amount of time to build all those rods into an airplane. Using the parts provided and the power system provided it's a T-U-R-D. Any Charger or DW foamy will out fly a flat out every possible way, in any wind condition. Builds are easy and fun, no stupid CF rods hanging everywhere, and you spend a hole bunch more time flying.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:41 PM
planestrainscars

Hey, I want to thank you guys for the info on the flatouts. I have not tried the "new" electrics yet, the old 550 size motors and the 7.2 stick batteries with the dinosaor speed controls kind of turn me off to elec. power back in the 80's I've been with glow ever since. I have been looking at the Great Planes flatouts, u-can-do EP, and the Yak 54 on Tower Hobbies site. My next question is, are the Rimfire 22m-1000 brushless motor and the lipo 11.1 volt 640 mah batts. that come with the Flatouts combo any good or should I choose something else? I quess want something that will take some wind and the longest flight times and a little durability for some experimental 3-D flying[sm=biggrin.gif] Thanks, Ted
Old 08-19-2008, 02:57 PM
wedgewing

ORIGINAL: altavillan

The good thing about Flat Out's is, they come with an amazing amount of carbon fiber rods. However it takes an equaly amazing amount of time to build all those rods into an airplane. Using the parts provided and the power system provided it's a T-U-R-D. Any Charger or DW foamy will out fly a flat out every possible way, in any wind condition. Builds are easy and fun, no stupid CF rods hanging everywhere, and you spend a hole bunch more time flying.
In agreement with you on that. I have given away anything that says "rimfire" and I have an overkill Park 400 on mine. I come in and ounce over but the power is great and I can do more things that with the rimfire the spec'd

When the birds do die, I have saved every scrap of carbon rod they provided and have used it in other planes. Many of my larger planes use some of the longer CF rods as control rods. I feel so green..........

I think I have most of the plastic model kit parts they have hung on part trees and use them occasionally on something expendable. I very much like the planes (RCU Bipe in particular) but just build them a little "beefier" than they spec....nothing like hearing the crack of foam when a bird flies by and causes wind. Build them with some sense and they are a blast to fly outside in the wind

Old 08-21-2008, 01:43 AM
hellblastervolly

Hi planestrainscars.

I am with wedgewing, the best flatout will be the RCU Bipe. It was my first electric plane so building was trial and error for me so I did make some changes to fix some problems and for the place I was going to fly it. I flew it outside with wind of 15 mph with no problem and love the way it handel the manuvers. I remove the landing gear since I was going to land it on the grass, I'll still will not have use it even if I'll land it on hard floor the lnading gear is junk I will have make a better one I use all the part that came with it but if I make a new one I'll probably use diferent parts in some of the areas. I have it with the rimfire V-Pitch but end changing it for a park 370, plenty of power.

If you decide to get the Bipe send me a IM and Ill help you build it better and stronger. If not, I can recomend you from top of my head the E-flite Extra 260 it will do all kind of 3D and it can handel 15mph wind as long as you keep it on the heavy side. I also have other choices for you in the foamy side, depend what you really looking for, just let me know.

Fernando
Old 08-21-2008, 01:52 AM
hellblastervolly

Here are a few pics of my RCU Bipe before the maiden.

Fernando
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46538.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1015932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87172.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1015933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64592.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1015934  
Old 08-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Xpress

I have personally owned the flatouts Matt Chapman Cap 580, and the Turmoil, but I have flown the Flayana, and the Reflection as well, and they all flew like crap compared to my DW Foamies.

I am a big DW Foamy pilot, so that is really what 3D planes I fly. I can't really vouche for Charger, as my only CR-1 was overweight at 17oz. I have been a loyal DW Foamies user since late august last year.

The 38" Yak 54 on a Park 400, 10x4.7 prop, 20 amp controller, and thunder power 1320 mah 3 cell performs great. Hovers at 1/2 throttle, and has good vertical performance-enough to get you out of trouble with ease. My favorite setup for unlimited vertical though is a Himax HC2812-1080, Castle Phoenix 25 controller, and Hobby City Zippy 1300 mah 3 cell 25C.

You can go either way with those. Also, DW Foamies has a $110 combo. A plane, a brushless outrunner, a brushless controller, and 4 servos (more than enough for hard 3D-I know, those are what I use) are included in that combo. And yes the motor system has plenty of power for hard core 3D.

I'm not part of DW Foamies though. I just fly Mikes planes, and tell everyone how much I like them, and how great they are. And they perform great in the winds too. A 14oz. plane flies very well in 10mph winds

But there are several other choices too. Insane foamies, Charger RC, Fancy Foam-just to name a few. All of them have good planes. It's really a personaly preference though.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Wingman26

I recently built a Flat Out CAP 480, while I haven't flown it yet I don't have a very high opinion of it. The construction is a combination of paper covered foam reinforced with carbon fiber rods, the foam parts are very fragile before the carbon fiber rods are glued in place, and the plastic garbage they furnish for hardware is a cruel joke, I spent hours fooling with that stuff trying to get it to fit, it was very frustrating. I bought it because it was pretty cheap, but now I feel I wasted my money, one thing I know for sure, I won't waste any more money on those things again.

I'm building an Airfoilz Edge 540 right now, I'm pretty impressed with this plane so far, it goes together quite well.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:40 PM
wedgewing

Wingman

you can rebuild it using piano wire from the LHS as control rods. buy some micro control horns, and don't waste your time with the foam safe CA because it can't prevent losing your mind. I quickly learned if you want anything to come out of it positive you have to use the same stuff you would use to build any other plane. Don't be a glue hound and you can build something strong and fun out of it with light amounts (hell, heavy amounts) of low temp hot glue.

Mine fly great and they fly in the wind. I have watched many attempt to build it like a high quality indoor plane only to come back with the same response as you. Toughen it up a bit and have a blast with it. Winds tonight were well over 15 mph before sundown and the RCU bipe was out there loving it. Once you set it on the ground the wind blows it away so I know it is not a rock

Turn the "Crapman" into the "Chapman"
Old 08-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Xpress

The flatouts basically are just a foamie to bash around indoors. Yes they can have wicked control throws, and can change direction faster than you can blink, but they still are general crap.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:47 PM
wedgewing

ORIGINAL: lilbanchee

The flatouts basically are just a foamie to bash around indoors. Yes they can have wicked control throws, and can change direction faster than you can blink, but they still are general crap.
Lil

you can bash outdoors as well (with the same piece of crap).
Old 08-31-2008, 06:42 PM
mattman683

Don't Buy One!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Bad Tooth
My Feedback: (10)

"You can go either way with those. Also, DW Foamies has a $110 combo. A plane, a brushless outrunner, a brushless controller, and 4 servos (more than enough for hard 3D-I know, those are what I use) are included in that combo. And yes the motor system has plenty of power for hard core 3D."

Where can I find this deal? I went to their website and couldn't find it.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Xpress

^Go to the 38" kit of your choice, and select a power system, and servos. The motor looks like it's been replaced with a higher quality Scorpion outrunner, which are a lot better motors, for the increased price.