Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Super Cheap LiPo Batteries

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Super Cheap LiPo Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 03:47 AM
The_Jug923

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Cheap LiPo Batteries

hey guys, I was wondering if any of you have tried and liked these batteries... they seem too good to be true but i sure hope not.

any help is appreciated

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...d=8&item_id=30
Old 10-20-2008, 01:23 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Super Cheap LiPo Batteries

Looks OK !! You might try looking at HOBBYCITY.COM as well - their prices are significantly lower than the ones you recommend. For example, a 2200 mah 3S 20/25C Zippy battery is $20 versus $34-$39 from Value Hobby.

I have bought a number of 3S and 4S lipos from HobbyCity under the brand names of Zippy and Rhino, and so far I have found them to be excellent - totally comparable to Flightpower and Thunderpower equivalents. But the price! - a Flightpower EVO Lite 4S 4270mah goes for about $170 whereas a Rhino 4S 3700mah with the same C rating comes with a Dean's plug already on it, and costs $60. Hard to beat.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:55 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

I just received a 4S 2250 mah lipo I order from them a week or so ago. I have flown it twice and it performed very well.
It did not even get hot while flying an Ultra Stick 25e with an E-flit Power 25 motor.
Lasted over 8 minutes.

If you can wait a 2 to 3 weeks for the li-po packs, you could order them from wwww.hobbycity.com
They come directly from China and are a lot cheaper. I've been using them for quite a while and they perform as well as or even better than my Thunder Power packs.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:57 PM
jmir

I forgot to mention it. I'm using the Zippy packs from hobbycity (also called hobbyking)
Old 10-21-2008, 07:40 AM
The_Jug923

Well, that is going to save me hundreds of dollars... Thank you guys so much, I'll definitely buy the hobbycity batteries.

One other question that goes along with this, the Flightpower are only 2170Mah and these are 2250Mah, should I upgrade to a 40amp ESC for this, due to the burst being higher the then 3s 2170Mah 11.1V 25C. (which I still think overloads the ESC for a few seconds while it bursts.)

Thanks for any help
Old 10-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Lammy1000

You get what you pay for....buy Thunder power
Old 10-21-2008, 08:16 PM
patnchris

A while back I would have agreed with you on the ThunderPowers. However, recently I've found them to be inferior. I'd used ThunderPower packs since I started flying electric. Back then there was only ThunderPower.....Now they have the original, that they call Prolite series, and the new High dicharge packs. I decided to try some of these new packs and purchased four of the 2070ma Extremes. They all died within 20 cycles. ThunderPower replaced them with 2200ma V3's. After a couple of flights I was not really impressed with them. It seems that I can fly the same plane using the ProLites and the V-3's and the V-3's always come down warmer than the Prolites, even though the V-3's are supposed to have twice the discharge capability......To take this a step further I decided to try a couple other brands of hi discharge packs....I bought a couple of Dual Sky 3S 2200 ma 20C, and a couple of TrueRC 3S 2200ma 20C....Keep in mind that these packs were 30-40% less expensive....To date I have 50+ cycles on them all....The ThunderPowers are getting warmer each time I fly them, and are even starting to puff....The Dual Sky and True RC packs come down bearly warm to the touch....All flown in the same plane during the same conditions.........SO....For smaller packs like 3S 1320ma 15C I will continue to purchase ThunderPower Prolites as I have many that have well over 100 cycles on them and are still going strong.....But for larger, high discharge, packs I will be using other brands. Zippy, Rhino, Dual Sky, and True RC, have all given me satisfactory service....JMHo.....Pat
Old 10-21-2008, 08:20 PM
patnchris

If you want good info on cheap lipo packs ask [link=http://badiusownersclub.com/forum2/index.php?board=1.0]these guys[/link] at the BAdius Owners Club Forum.....Pat
Old 10-21-2008, 09:41 PM
GoldKraft

I have had great results with the Zippy Rhino and Ec line. I use from 3s 1600 20c all the way up to 4s 3700 20c . Ive got 120 or so cycles on a few 2100 3s 20c and they still are going strong...Ive even charged these at 2c an 3c at times.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:01 PM
The_Jug923

OK, well other then the fast charging it seems that the cheaper batteries will work, and at 25C discharge rate continuous whether or not they are Thunder Power then I can still do the 3D stunts I like. From what I've heard with the motor designed around the EF 45" Extra 300e and a 25C continuous charge I can hover at 3/4 throttle. If for whatever reason I do get fewer cycles though that is fine, 76.99 to 22.49 is a considerable difference. I think I'll take my chances, thanks for all the input once again.

Goldkraft watch it with the fast charging, no need for bad mistakes due to a few saved minutes. Just lookin out for your best interest.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:07 AM
johnpcunningham

THUNDERPOWER BATTERIES - why waste your money?

I'm an electrical engineer and have the usual tons of nerd equipment to measure power, current, noise, RF, etc. I had an F27 completely stock except for an E-flight 2700kv motor upgrade. Original stock prop.
This setup always puffed any brand new or used 11.1v 20C or 25C Thunderpower batteries. They replaced one through warranty but the 2nd one went to some island in the Pacific. Have not heard form them yet.

So, like you all, I was reluctant to try an off brand battery but costs looked too good; I had to try at least one. I went with the Rhino batteries from hobbycity. They come with Deans connectors already solderded on and heat shrink covered. These batteries perfrom
flawlessly, never puff on the Stryker, and only cost $29 (11.1v 2250mha 25C). I could not believe how well they were made. TP solders the tabs together and uses Kapton tape to isolate the tabs and prevent shorts.
Rhino and Zippy uses a small circuit board on the top where the tabs get solderded. This makes a more reliable solder and much more robust battery. If you are flying the Corsair or Trojan, get the 2350 11.1v Rhino - It will give 20% longer run times - the battery is longer, wider, but thinner than the standard 11.1v 2100-2200 batteries you may be used to. These do fit in the Corsair and T-28, just a little tighter fit.

From all of my tests and flying experience, I do not see any reason to spend $79 for an 11.1v 25C Thunderpower battery. The higher cost gives the illusion that they are better than other batteries, but in my findings, they are not.

JC

Old 10-22-2008, 01:28 PM
The_Jug923

I think I am going to get either Rhino's or Zippy's they seem to work fine from what I hear, and I can buy three for less then one TP battery.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The term you get what you pay for has been kciked out of the equation here because of hobby city. I have not had one problem with any of their lipos I have used.

They will save you hundreds of dollars, and if they do happen by some chance to go up in smaoke, or flames, then they're always cheap to replace.

I do however suggest that you buy 3-4 of them, and some other stuff, like a motor and ESC so that shipping costs are more worth it.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:56 AM
GoldKraft

ORIGINAL: The_Jug923

I think I am going to get either Rhino's or Zippy's they seem to work fine from what I hear, and I can buy three for less then one TP battery.
Well....Rhino is the cheaper Zippy line. The biggest difference in the Rhino and say the R series is the battery lead is aluminum ..not copper which requires a bigger gauge wire.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:01 PM
GoldKraft

ORIGINAL: lilbanchee

The term you get what you pay for has been kciked out of the equation here because of hobby city. I have not had one problem with any of their lipos I have used.

They will save you hundreds of dollars, and if they do happen by some chance to go up in smaoke, or flames, then they're always cheap to replace.

I do however suggest that you buy 3-4 of them, and some other stuff, like a motor and ESC so that shipping costs are more worth it.
True...I try to fill the weight allowed up. I just bought 8 460mh 2s 20c Rhinos for $50 shipped....I was only going to buy six but the shipping was the same for up to two more so I got 8. Now my DW Yak Jr will have plenty of batteries.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:17 PM
jmir

I order batteries from Hobby City for our club. I send an order almost every month.
This way, we all share on the shipping costs which makes the batteries, motors, etc. a much better bargain.
Also, the club gets credits (points) on every purchase for future use at the website. All you do is register its name.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:54 PM
GoldKraft

ORIGINAL: jmir

I order batteries from Hobby City for our club. I send an order almost every month.
This way, we all share on the shipping costs which makes the batteries, motors, etc. a much better bargain.
Also, the club gets credits (points) on every purchase for future use at the website. All you do is register its name.

Good point....Ive ordered so much stuff that I am a platinum member so I get great prices on alot of stuff including batteries.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Using two Rino 3700 ma. in a Twist 3D and after a good 3D flight they are barely warm.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:42 PM
johnpcunningham

ORIGINAL: GoldKraft

Well....Rhino is the cheaper Zippy line. The biggest difference in the Rhino and say the R series is the battery lead is aluminum ..not copper which requires a bigger gauge wire.
Actually, Rhino is the upgraded version of the Zippy line. The use copper tabs and a circuit board block to solder the tabs together. Thunderpower uses aluminum tabs and they are a direct solder to each other in the series.

JC
Old 10-26-2008, 08:54 PM
GoldKraft

ORIGINAL: johnpcunningham

ORIGINAL: GoldKraft

Actually, Rhino is the upgraded version of the Zippy line. The use copper tabs and a circuit board block to solder the tabs together. Thunderpower uses aluminum tabs and they are a direct solder to each other in the series.

JC
Ok ....Ill give you that...they are one step above the plane Zippy but the R and H series are still more expensive....they have copper leads. The leads are aluminum on the Rhinos though...and they are difficult to solder if you need to do so.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:07 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, so which one do I go with? Zippy or Rhino? I'm new to electrics and will be ordering some batteries next week and would like the better of the two brands.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:51 PM
GoldKraft

Ild go with the Rhinos ...best bang for the buck IMO.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Nickerz

I've read a lot of good news about these Zippy packs. However, I also read that the connectors that come with the batteries are NOT authentic "Deans Ultra Plug" connectors. Can anyone verify this? Either way, these batteries are still a great value, even if you would have to add the REAL Deans connectors to them.

Also, does the Zippy 2200mAh pack fit in a Parkzone Spitfire? I'm assuming the dimensions are the same or very close to the Parkzone 1800mAh (PKZ1031)?
Old 10-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 3700 ma Rhino Zippys have the psudo Deans plugs and I can't tell the difference. Great deal.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:43 PM
seanregan

JOHN C : what would you recomend for my e-flight pitts m12 i'm useing 3200mah 20c 3 cell 11.1v with a 30 amp controler
and e-flight power 15. runs like a top and i get 15 minuts but unlimited vertical is not there with battery the wieght
.......well at least my wallets light enough for unlimited vertical LOL[&o]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.