Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Great Planes Yak54 EP

Old 04-10-2008, 06:38 AM
Robby368

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Yak54 EP

Hey guys I just replaced my reactor 3d with the 41" Yak 54. I crashed the reactor because I put the recommended 950kv rimfire motor in it. It just wasn't enough power to pull out of vertical. So anyway the yak recommends the rimfire 1250kv, so I opted for the rimfire 1450kv with a 45A esp just to make sure it's got the power. Now here's the question. Is this motor going to be too much and rip the firewall off? I did buy the great planes aluminum motor mount for that motor, but I'm uneasy about how to put the 2 degrees of down and right thrust, so do I need to use the motor mount or stick with what the plane comes with? Can I just reinforce the plywood firewall with fiberglass/epoxy to make it strong enough?

I'm only going to use the full power of the motor in hover and 3d mode, I'm not gonna be flying around at wide open throttle.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Fast Guy

Default RE: Great Planes Yak54 EP

I have the Goldberg Yak 54 41" with the Rimfire 35 30 1250 and a 36a Castle Thunderbird ESC and it can hover at just over 1/2 throttle and pullout like a rocket. [X(] More power than you really need.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Robby368

Well I was assuming it would be like the reactor...the recommended motor wasn''t nearly enough, so I just went one step up.

I had to send the motor back anyway, it made a high-pitched whining when I got it running, it was so loud it hurt my ears. So I gotta wait a few weeks for the new one to come in...I just hope the ply motor mount box is strong enough for it....I epoxied the crap out of it.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Those motor mounting boxes are strong as hell. They can stand up to more powerful systems. Plus, adding some plywood strips on the inside can't hurt to strengthen.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Bcolici

ORIGINAL: Robby368

Well I was assuming it would be like the reactor...the recommended motor wasn''t nearly enough, so I just went one step up.

I had to send the motor back anyway, it made a high-pitched whining when I got it running, it was so loud it hurt my ears. So I gotta wait a few weeks for the new one to come in...I just hope the ply motor mount box is strong enough for it....I epoxied the crap out of it.
originally i believe they recommended the 950 as well for the GP Yak,it seems that they changed the recommended motor to the 1250 they went one step up for ya.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:12 PM
shzam

Does the rimfire mount fit the mounting holes? I have a park480 outrunner and the mount does not match up with the holes. I am thinking about changing mount to the rimfire but only 2 of the motor mounts will match up to the motor
Old 01-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Robby368

Yes it does that's the recommended motor for this plane