Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Diving Into Electrics

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 06:36 PM
ICE_MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diving Into Electrics

Well after getting completely out of the hobby a year and a half ago by selling my 34% Extra I think I'm ready for a reunion tour. The reason I got out was because I had all of my money into that one aircraft, and the crash that is inveitable sooner or later burned me out on the hobby. I think this time I'll go a different route since I leave Febuary 3rd for the Airforce. I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about electric aircraft, never even flown one! But, after stumbling across Extreme Flights 47" Yak, my attention is focused.

I've done some looking around at about the costs of everything, and what I'll need, and I might have it pretty close to figured out. I believe the easiest route for me will be the combo deal that Extreme flight offers that includes the motor and ESC. They also recomend Hitec HS-65 servo's so I'll be picking up 4 of those. As far as a reciever, I have a Futaba 6EXA transmitter left, so I need a reciever to go with it. I looked at the GWs R-6NII, which is a 6 channel reciever. It doesn't specify whether or not it's Micro sized, but at only .29 oz. or 8.2g do you think it will work? Or do you have a better suggestion?

As far as Batteries, here's where I'm really lost. I understand the whole Li-po thing as I had 2 in my extra. But they were on reciever and ignition duty so no ESC and all that. From the posts I read I'll need a reciever battery (which is usually Ni-Mh?) For that I picked out the Hobbico Hydrimax 5c 1400mah. It's 2/3A cells will they be to heavy? Also for flight power I've heard alot about the Flight Power Evo 4S 2500Mah Battery. But at $120 it's pricey, and would be the only battery I could afford. Then I found hobbycity.com, who happens to sell a Rhino $s 14.8v battery, with 2350Mah for only $40. I could afford 3 of these to keep me flying longer. Anyone had any problems or know any problems out of these batteries?

Any and all help I can get is definitely appreciated, Sorry such a long post!
Old 11-25-2008, 07:36 PM
jumper666

Default RE: Diving Into Electrics

Friends and I have had very good luck with hobbycity's Zippy batteries.

Choice of number of cells in your Lipo will be determined by the motor you will be using. You will want at least 3 of your chosen battery. Once motor is chosen, look at its power requirements/recommendations. Motor will also list suggested props.

The acft at which you are looking is a nice one. Bet you will enjoy it.

Suggested motor's info: http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=5972

For some other NICE choices, you might also want to look at: http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/ They offer high quality at a good price. Big bang for the buck.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:36 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

You won't really need a receiver battery, as you can use the BEC on your ESC, if/when you are using a 2S or 3S lipo. For your anticipated 4S lipo, you can get a UBEC (Universal Battery Eliminator Circuit?) for a small amount of money (Castle makes a good one, and there are others out there for less), that will allow you to power your receiver from your 4S lipo.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:01 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Ice Man:

Most current controllers (ESC) have a battery eleminator circut in it (BEC) which makes a flight pack and its weight unnecessary. Whatever receiver you buy, be sure its 6 channel and full range. The GWS receivers I have used are very limited in range, glitchie and nor recommended. A good all around receiver is the burg, full range and small, reasonable, the hitec "electron" is also small, rugged and full range. I would recomend the electron, they haave worked well for me, even use them in Q-500 types.

Be sure your motor will take 4 cells as well as the controller. Some controllers require a the unnecessary flight pack. Have had good luck with the zippie batteries. I end the 3D hobby shop, limited stock but most everything you need at decent USA prices.

Consider a watt meeter and a good li-po charger as part of your necessary gear, see Schoefields "Battery clinic" for good recommendations. I have had good luck with the Cellpro 4. ENJOY
Old 11-26-2008, 02:53 PM
ICE_MAN

Well I will be going with the Torque motor, as well as the Airboss reciever that the combo kit comes with. I see that the Torque recommends 3-4 cells, so I should be fine on battery selection? I'm about to read up on the UBEC on wattflyer.com. One questin I had was how much will that lower my flight times. Obviously the plane will be lighter, as the battery pack weighs upward of 500g's.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the Berg On 3Dhobbyshop.com. The 7P with horizontal pins is only $50 and weighs 8g less than the Electron 6
Old 12-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Road507

I use the Rhino 4s 3700 20C from Hobbycity in a converted Something Extra. Since it draws 60A I went with the Turngy 80 A ESC with UBEC built in it will run 4 servos. I have for standard size servos in the Sig and have had no problems with around 40 8-10min flights. This ESC was only around $50.00
Old 12-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get the Castle Creations BEC, because you can't get any higher quality.

Also, you should be good running a 3 cell 2100-3200 mah lipo.

And as for receivers, any Hitec RCD receiver, or the Berg 7P will work. I personally prefer Hitec, but only becaue i'm local to the USA warehouse, and repairs are free. Also, you can get a Hitec Mini6S receier for $30. Excellent receiver for electrics. Still 6.5 grams heavier, but a plane this big won't mind at all.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/759186.asp