Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Newbie with a Typhoon 2

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Newbie with a Typhoon 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 02:29 AM
TakeshiSkunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with a Typhoon 2

Alright so I just got my first 3D setup as a christmas gift. Typhoon 2 PNP with a DX6i. Technically waiting for the Typhoon to come in but I have the RX and was flipping through the manual a bit.

Being new to this I was just hoping I could get some insight from you guys. What kind of settings should I be considering as far as expo and my dual rates, and what do I need to know about flap settings? I want to get the most out of my plane and RX but I don't want to just dive in without knowing what I'm doing at all.

If it has any bearing on what I might want to do, all of my 3D time to date has been on RealFlight G4 and I think I'm getting the basics down pretty well. Hovering isn't really a problem at all and torque rolls are starting to come along. I haven't messed with any of my settings in G4 so I don't know if the 3D models have expo designed into them in the sim or what.

Thankyou in advance for any help.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:12 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Newbie with a Typhoon 2

Best advice I can give you is to follow the aircraft manufactrers CG and control surface and expo recommendations for maden flights. Usually someone has spent a lot of time getting this right as it is so critical. If things are still a little too active for you, stuff 10-20% more expo in the thing until you feel cumfortable. As you get time on the bird, remove a little expo every time out until you are flying within your zone near or at the recommended expo value. This just helps you keep your reactions on the fast and good side. Most of our club guys hate to fly my stuff, "tooooo quick" Does not feel quick to me and am 73, considered one of the clubs best pilots. Trust me on this one. Most of my flying is 3D and racing. ENJOY
Old 12-27-2008, 07:06 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

I couldn't agree mopre about setting up according to specs.
However, at this point, I myself have had a Typhoon for a while, and enjoy the continual wrestling match of flying it.
When I rebuilt it (!!) recently, I set it up for large overall control surface range of movement, and then programmed it (successfully, so far) as follows:

Surface....LowrateMovement%-Expo%....HighRateRange%-Expo%
AILE 65%-60% 100%-67%
ELEV 65%-55% 100%-67%
RUDD 70%-30% 100%-40%

I used a lot of expo generally because control throws are large, and I find the plane a bit twitchy, and I used less expo on the rudder as I am trying to learn to use the rudder a lot more aggresively, e.g. for hovering (attempts.)

Hope this helps - but DO start with the manufacturer's recommendations...Chris

p.s. I don't know what I'm talking about.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:01 PM
TakeshiSkunk

OK so I just got and assembled my Typhoon 2 and I am more than a little disgusted. This thing looks like a piece of s***. The wings are dirty, the sticker applications are horrible (there's even a hair under one of the wing applications), and the covering job looks like crap.

Worse yet one of the attaching pins for one of the ailerons was missing entirely and I had to use replacement parts provided to attach it. Also the vertical stabilizer isn't even close to being straight, I'm not sure why anyone thought it was a good idea to mold it into the fuselage.

Is this the kind of quality I'm supposed to expect with this stuff? After dropping 160 dollars on something I don't expect it to look like it came from a god damn garage sale. It might fly great (though with a bent vertical stabilizer I'm concerned about that as well) but I don't really want to take it out before I decide if I should send it back or what. I'm half expecting the ESC to explode if I turn it on anyway.

Do they all look this bad or do I just have horrible luck? :/
Old 01-05-2009, 09:42 PM
lejongleur

Yes, they do look grotesquely crappy. I recovered some spare wings for mine and they look better than the original 'plastic bag' look. When mine arrived I noticed that the packing material it came in was remarbly similar to the material the plane was made of!! But...spare parts are CHEAP!!, and you really can't tell what it looks like once it gets 100 feet away from you. You could try a covering iron to remove the wrinkles and smooth the decals?

Now I'm used to it I rather like the crude nature of it. If you use the 13.5" prop it will climb vertically, fly inverted without drama and do all the usual moves. It lands very slowly, and takes a reasonable beating before you need to buy much for it. The reason I rebuilt mine was entirely my own fault - I got it over my head low, lost orientation and went into the ground - just my incompetent lack of experience. $25 for a new fuse, some glue and good as new.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:41 AM
TakeshiSkunk

So if I return it it'll be more of the same, basically? :/ Do you think I should worry about the bent tail or will it not affect flight performance?
Old 01-06-2009, 07:16 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: TakeshiSkunk

So if I return it it'll be more of the same, basically? :/ Do you think I should worry about the bent tail or will it not affect flight performance?
My Typhoon 2 looked pretty good. Much better than the original Typhoon which did not look well at all.
There were no wrinkles on the cover, it was clean looking and all decals where properly applied.
I would not fly it with a bent tail. I would call your hobby shop or Horizon Hobby for a replacement.
They provide excellent customer service.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:02 AM
lejongleur

Yes, mine is a version 1 Typhoon. Maybe the Typhoon 2's are made with a lot more quality control, i.e. no wrinkles. I agree with jmir.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:56 PM
TakeshiSkunk

Ugh, alright then I'll make a couple phone calls. I just wanted to be able to fly the damn thing, but I'm not going to fly something with an unsound airframe.

Ever since I got into this hobby I've kind of felt like there were quality control issues EVERYWHERE. Nothing really looks very high quality, the manuals for everything I've got so far (when they even had manuals at all) have been terrible except my DX6i, and even that I had to exchange for another one at the store because the flap switch was bent on the first one I picked up.

I kind of feel like these companies really don't want my flying RC and I have to prove myself worthy or something
Old 01-09-2009, 01:21 PM
TakeshiSkunk

Called horizon and they apparently expect me to pay to ship this piece of crap back to them. Is this supposed to be good customer service? I don't think I'm ever going to do business with horizon again.