Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yak 54 Indoor Foamy. What should i buy?

hey all
    i've recently been getting into more miniature flying and i am looking to purchase something a little more aerobatic and fun to fly indoors. what i would really like to get is the great planes yak-54 foamy. it seems like a nice airplane and is exactly what i am looking for. i've read the book and i'm curious what i should buy for high performance stuff.

what's the biggest motor i can put in?
    whats the best ESC?
    Nice Reciever?
    the best Micro High torque servos?

I'm looking for the best of the best stuff and i want all the power i can get, i want to hover around 1/2 throttle and have the rest full power cause i may take it outside in the summer and fly it outdoors.

someone help me!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Yak 54 Indoor Foamy. What should i buy?

Well, how about pushing the envelope a bit farther, and getting a foamy made for indoors and outdoors?

The DW Foamies Yak 54 38" is perfect for larger gyms, and is perfect for outdoor flying. Setup right, and it will float around, and hover all day. It's smooth an stable for learning 3D, yet turn the throws up and it becomes an all out insane 3D ship. It is very clean on knife edge, and will hover with the best of them. With servos, a motor ESC and battery, you can get one flying for under $160. This includes a kit.

I'm not a DW Sales person, simply an end user who is very satisfied with the product.

Oh, and don't worry about the wind. The Yak will handle it just fine. I've flown one in 20 or so mph winds, just using a heavier pack. Flew real nice, and made for a very nice rolling harrier trainer, to get your tumb movements timed perfectly.
    Life is short, fly more!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hey there,
    thanks for the tip. i've been researching pretty rigorously and found what i think is everything i want. my only question tho is you recomended

The 38" Yak 54 on a Park 400, 10x4.7 prop, 20 amp controller, and thunder power 1320 mah 3 cell performs great. Hovers at 1/2 throttle, and has good vertical performance-enough to get you out of trouble with ease. My favorite setup for unlimited vertical though is a Himax HC2812-1080, Castle Phoenix 25 controller, and Hobby City Zippy 1300 mah 3 cell 25C.

so i tracked the unlimited vertical setup and the motor says it requires a 15 amp esc, so why a 25? and what should i get for a reciever and servos? i have a few HS - 55's. i just don't know what to get and would like a list of EVERYTHING i need to get, from servos, reciever, motor, battery, esc, glue, whatever i need to get this thing flying. i've read so much now i'm not sure what to get or what is the best

can ya help me out?

thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm using a 25 amp controller because that is what I bought, and it was before Castle Creations came out with the ThunderBird line of ESC's, so the Phoenix 25 was the smalles I could find, that was high quality. If you ask me, the CC Phoenix 25 is the same size as the CC TB18.

The recommended servos for any plane weighing from 7oz. all the way to 20 oz. is any 7-9 gram servo with about 15oz. in. of torque. The HS55 being the perfect servo for most foamies, including the 38" DW's. A good motor to use is one that can put out about 170 watts (park 400 is limited with about 140 watts but it's great for 3D) for instant acceleration out of a hover. The Himax HC2812-1080 can put out around 180 watts, so it's perfect for screaming out of hovers on a 10x4.7SF prop. Any 18 amp ESC will work for the majority of the ~170 watt outrunners. Batteries are the hardest part really. A battery that is capable of delivering ~16-20 amps is perfect for this setup. ThunderPower 1320mah 3 cell lipos can deliver the power you will need. For indoors though, I suggest something in the 700-900 mah range, because weight is critical for indoor flying, and the more weight you can save, the more floaty a plane becomes. Any mini or micro receiver with 5-6 channels will also work. I suggest 5-6 channels to allow you to plug the aileron servos in independently, as the DW kits use 2 for ailerons. This allows you to individually adjust the servos control throw, and allows you to center them idividually- provided you have a computer radio.

Glue is also critical on a foamy. For indoor foamies, where you need them to be lightweight, and stiff, foam safe CA with foam safe kicker is a good idea. All you need is a small bead of glue to lock things together. For the bigger foamies, I like to use gorilla glue fast cure. It's a flexible glue (in comparison with any CA- which dries solid) that holds great in small ammounts, and allows everything to give slightly in a crash or minor mess up. I use the gorilla glue along all the joints on the 38" planes, and it holds very well. I then go over the fuselage joints (once the gorilla glue has dried) with pva glue, or basically tacky glue. This is perfect for sealing the fuse joints together, and making the airframe strong and ready for 3D abuse. I suggest steering away from ca's for outdoor foamies, as it can crack on high stress maneuvers. For instance, the snap roll: you snap the plane quite aggressively, and this can casue the CA to crack along a jont, whereas gorilla glue simply flexes gently to keep the plane in shape.

So, the list is as so:

Motor (I'd go with the Scorpion motors recommended on the DW site- never have heard a problem about them, and Innov8tive Designs is always happy to repair any damaged motor for free).
    ESC: 18-25 amp (a 25 amp ESC generally gives you "wiggle" room)
    Servos: HS55's or equivalents
    Battery: 3 cell 1000-1400 mah
    Prop: APC/GWS 10x4.7SF
    Glue: Gorilla Glue Fast Cure and Tacky Glue
    Receiver: Any mini or micro (for example, a Hitec Micro 05S will work)
    Hinge Tape: (critical!!) 3M Blenderm tape (1/2" tape for hinges, with 1" small strips for re-inforcement around the control horn areas. 1" tape for the carbon spar- this allows you to remove it once the plane is ready for the junk pile, so you can re-use it in another plane). Blenderm tape is medical tape, and someone discovered it works great for foamies. It holds very well, and is pretty much guaranteed for hundreds of flights before it wil give out (just wipe the surface real quick with a rag to make the sticking area clean).

DW Foamies has all of the recommended components and glues on their site, so check it out at http://www.dwfoamies.com/

If you need some help still, just shoot me a PM on here, or on RC Groups. I'm Xpress.. on RCG.
    Life is short, fly more!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For the Electrifly Yak Indoor :

The best performance is:
    a 3s 300-400mah pack,
    Castle 9A ESC,
    futaba S3114's,
    micro receiver,
    AXI 2203/46 (until the 22-28-1750 rimfire comes out) (Expensive but you asked for the best...) .

Plus, this set up it will fly very well outside in winds less than 10mph. (Been there done that)

Good luck!!
    Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still. -Dale Carnegie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello guys, hey what other (motor,esc,lipo) and wich brands would you recomend for this GP YAK 54 on 2s...

Thanks
    Carlos

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For light weight indoor models go to fancy foam and check those out. We fly them every week indoors. The Yak and Vrolet are awsome. The other ones I have'nt flown yet.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hobbyking.com has a 23g 2300kv that would be good with a cut down 8x4 or 7x3. on 2S, but the firewall is not drilled for it. They have some other motors there that might work as well.
    Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still. -Dale Carnegie