Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Is a Foamie a Good Second Plane?

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Is a Foamie a Good Second Plane?

Old 02-13-2009, 03:14 PM
asmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Foamie a Good Second Plane?

Hello,
Can anyone tell me if a foamie would make a good second plane after mastering a 3 channel trainer model? I know most of these planes are 3D capable but models like the Great Planes Pluma looks like it is capable of very slow flight especially with the speed brakes. I know there are other aileron trainer choices out there but it would be nice to just go out in my backyard on the spur of the moment and fly. Let me know what you think.

Thanks[sm=50_50.gif]
Old 02-13-2009, 11:57 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Is a Foamie a Good Second Plane?

asmo ... such foamies do not fly like a GP plane. They can be a handful at times because it flies different, not that you cannot fly it. Its best to go to a low wing to hone your skills. Also, planes like the Pluma are for 'experts', I mean those who will not crash it. Such planes are fragile. But again, as I said, its not that you cannot handle it.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:26 AM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

Foamies are excellent 2nd planes. They can quickly let you learn radical aerobatics. With forward cg they fly tame for learning basic manouvers, and when rearward cg they are perfect for getting the hang of 3D stuff.
That being said, unless someone can prove otherwise, the flat foam planes like DW foamies or my favorite "Charger RC foamies" are the type to choose. They take some beating but are not durrable. Best to buy them 3 at a time because you will feel confident to fly them low enough to crash before you are ready. But then thats what they are for. Cheap learning.
If you are looking for a good full bodied foam plane, the "Typhoon" is hard to beat. Only an experienced pilot can safely fly/3D it low because the heavier type full bodied planes need to fly faster. A bud has 2 years of sunday flying his. It is his 2nd plane. He is a long way from learning 3D stuff with it still.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:03 PM
asmo

Thanks for the input. The thing I like about the foamies is that there is not alot of cost invested in the plane itself. If I crash it and the motor, receiver ,and battery survive I'm only out $50.00 or less. Right now I have a Dynaflite Piece O' Cake that I am converting to electric. If I crash it all my labor plus the cost of the plane is down the drain.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:34 AM
Murdoc

Foamies are great to learn on without having to be affraid to crash it. I would just buy some depron and download some plans and build from scratch.
They are so easy to build, and 99% of the time the result comes out real good!
Good Luck!
Old 02-28-2009, 01:13 PM
asmo

Thanks again. I have been looking at the foamie plans and they do look easy to make. I may give it a try.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going against a foamy as a 2nd plane. Firstly, because a foamy will go where you point it: you roll it over, it will stay there, not self correct itself. You accidentally pull up and it'll go in.

Secondly, when they crash, they crash, and sometimes it can be pretty epic

Also, you really have to fly it on all 4 controls. Throttle and rudder I would say are the most important, as they are what you mostly use to steer the plane. Ailerons and elevator are also important. You use the elevator mostly ot keep the plane level in turns, and the ailerons as well. Whole new set of controls to master.

I suggest something like a Eflite Mini Ultra Stick as a 2nd plane, as a pre-plane to a 3D foamy. You could go the foamy route if you got someone to buddy box you though.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:44 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Asmo:

A 3d foamy as a second plane is really dependant on being set up properly. Properly means slightly nose heavy, control throws about 25% of the normal 45 degree control deflection asked for. In addition, around 35% expo. All foamys are NOT CREATED EQUAL. Stay away from the "shock flyers", much too fragile and usually not decent slow flyers. The Tribute is good, Airfoilz better. I started flying in the early 70's, and tackeled 3D a few years ago just cause the majority of the local old gang could not hack it. Went through a bunch of shock flyers quick time, a buddy loaned me his RCX planes.com foamy. I allways keep one in good shape on the ceiling along with the AJ Extra, Hyp. Yak 54 and others. When I just want to enjoy, out comes the old RCX planes Illusion. Still the only bird that I can do good rolling circles with. Kick it down to low rates, still 40% expo and let my grandson fly it on a buddy box. The good foamys 36-40" wing spans can fly great 3D and still be slowed down to be a good trainer. Use landing gear until you get good enough to had launch with ease. Stay in close and high until you master the thing. Keep some foam safe glue handy, you can repair as new lots of damage in a few minutes at the field. If I want to fly something prety I take out the yak or extera to impress whom ever. When its fun time, back to the rcx Illusion or Airfoilz dependant on whats in the best shape at that time. Practice, practice, practice, and ENJOY.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:19 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The foam planes made from EPP are the toughest of the bunch, such as the Hacker series. The GWS warbirds are good flying planes too.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:56 AM
scratchgolfer

Hate to disagree with some of the advice you have been given. Yes a foamie is an excellent second plane. I would stick with a high wing monoplane with trike gear and full house. (rudder, aileron, elevator, motor) You will use the motor, elevator and aileron in that order. "the rudder does not steer the plane, the yaw produces unwanted forces that the plane tends to follow. My advice is based on the fact that as a Naval Aviator I also instructed Primary in N2S 5's (Stearman biplane to those in Cucamonga) To get a perfect turn you will use use the aileron and rudder to enter the turn then get off the rudder and hold the angle of bank with the elevator and aileron. Just remember a foamie is light and is bouncy in a breeze. Choose a windless day for the first flight.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:51 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I agree, a foamy would make a good second plane. Cheap to buy/build and easy to reapair. Fly it with little to no wind, and on low rates at first. When you get used to it, switch to high rates and get a little wild with it! When I started out, I always had a more experienced pilot maiden my planes and trim them out for me (1st 3 or 4 planes I had). I also had that pilot fly it with me a few times on a buddy-box first, so I could get used to it with less fear of crashing. With a foamy, you may not want to do this, but it can't hurt if you are a little apprehensive of flying your second plane.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:36 AM
traxxaspede

http://www.********.com/airplanes/grayson-sukhoi.htm check out this one. I'm also graduating from a 3 channel, but ive had some flight sim (recommend to try out foamies) experience, and im getting that exact one. or http://www.********.com/pdfplans-listings.htm there a free pdf plan to an extra 300, so you can build it from scratch.