Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Looking For a Good 50 Inch 3D??

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Looking For a Good 50 Inch 3D??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 01:46 PM
rmillerawacs
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For a Good 50 Inch 3D??

Looking for a good 50inch electric 3d?? I have 2 smaller build-up planes just wanting something a little bigger. Getting out of nitro and going electric ever so slow.......I just want something a little bigger.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2009, 01:57 PM
jumper666

Default RE: Looking For a Good 50 Inch 3D??

Check out:

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/default.aspx

http://www.modelflight.com.au/seb_art_models.htm
Old 02-18-2009, 02:16 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

https://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/48YakProfile.html

I love mine.... really I do
Old 02-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Fliprob17

I second the 3dhobbyshop notion.

In the 50"+/- range, definitely look at the 51" Slick designed by Andrew Jesky.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38761.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1139626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51209.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1139627  
Old 02-20-2009, 08:18 AM
Doc Austin

Gotta go with the Slick all the way. I find the 47" planes to be a bit more practical because they fit in my car assembled and the Slick doesn't, but it's worth it. The Slick is bigger enough that it looks a lot bigger in the air, and you would have to fly one to believe how smooth and stable it is.

These's a little bit on my blog about the Slick, but there will definately be more soon. I'm worki9ng on a complete Slick article, but we need to make one more video. For now, please cruise the blog and check out all the other reports there. The new Slick report should be redy soon.

Also for now, please check out our last Slick video. This one was a lot of fun to make because the Slick is starting to get a little scruffy looking from all the abuse I have3 heaped on it, and we've got another one under construction. That's a good formula for throwing caution to the wind and delivering a good beatdown.

http://vimeo.com/3153782

Old 02-20-2009, 09:42 PM
phoenix426

I'm seriously looking at this one... http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...ils.php?pid=52

Precision Aerobatics Extra 260. the red one rocks!
48" wingspan, airfoiled tail surfaces, fiber fusion, superlight, flies on 3 cell, ... it's right up my alley. Maybe yours too. Check it out.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:07 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Take a look at this 54 inch bird. It's Eflite's ERATIX.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL4075

It's classified as a 3D trainer and flies very smooth, yet can handle anything you throw at it.

I have been learning 3D maneuvers (I'm up to 2-1/2D ) and it is definetly my favorite airplane for this purpose.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:12 AM
rmillerawacs

I just wanted to say for all the info!! I am starting to really like the AJ Slick!!! That is one sharp looking plane. I have also been looking at great planes they have 2 50 inch electrics. They look really nice also.And there is a review on rcu with as we speak. Man there are a lot of choices to make!?!?!
Old 02-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Tyler P

The Great Planes items are not going to be anywhere near as good as 3D Hobby Shops' birds. The Slick is very, very popular and will do any 3D maneuver you want to throw at it.

Pretty much any of the planes from 3DHS are going to rock for 3D. Extreme Flights's 58" Extra is very nice too.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:58 PM
phoenix426

ORIGINAL: rmillerawacs

I just wanted to say for all the info!! I am starting to really like the AJ Slick!!! That is one sharp looking plane. I have also been looking at great planes they have 2 50 inch electrics. They look really nice also.And there is a review on rcu with as we speak. Man there are a lot of choices to make!?!?!

I don't know if overall cost is a factor for you, but the AJ Slick is expensive to outfit compared to some other very decent planes.
Just comething to consider.

The AJ Slick is a sweet plane, no doubt.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:28 PM
invertedlawndart

3dhobbyshop isnt all its worked up to be. Watch out for the people who recieve free items from them and the fan club and the 3dhs bloggers. They've already taken over other forums. The planes are nice but theres nothing super amazing about them that make them so much better than everyone else. The forums blow them up. I remember when they were cheaper than everyone else. I think compareable aircraft are just as good. I've flown the 3dhs slick, extra sr, and velox all are good planes i own the extra and velox. I've also flown a few non 3dhs planes and theres really nothing that amazing about 3dhs. They are good planes and all but the forums have gotten out of control with them now. Right now im flying the GP edge a lot cause i just got it. Its on par with all the others mentioned in the posts above.

This was on sale for 109 a few days ago but you missed it.
GP Edge 540t
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVEL2&P=0
Old 04-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Spiccoli

Be careful Lawndart, that's blasphemy there!!! I agree, 3DHS is over-rated and over-blown. Doc Austin needs to chill out, although I do agree that the 51" Slick would fit the bill for the person who started this particular thread. Maybe they need to start a special category for 3DHS enthusiasts and leave this one for those of us who are open minded.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Doc Austin

I'm editing because several people have made this discussion pointless. It's your money. Buy what you want and fly the snot out of it.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:29 PM
invertedlawndart

Oh no doubt the slick fits what he was looking for im just saying there are a lot of planes around the 50in size and 3dhs isnt the only place that makes good planes. They just make better videos than everyone else and the videos are what really sells these planes. This forum is a lot safer than another rc forum that seems to be getting way out of control with 3dhs threads. Im pretty sure if you start a thread in there saying anything the answer will be some kind of 3dhs plane. Again there are a lot of planes out there all of the above aircraft people mentioned are good planes and fun to fly and they all fly a little different none of them are perfect. Who wants to fly a perfect plane anyway. Sounds borring to me.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:20 AM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

The good ones have been mentioned but if you want the best it's http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/...BSukhoi29.html
These small sized e-planes have almost 0 side area making KE flight more work than necessary. I tried a few extras and edges before hitting the SebArt Sukhoi.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Tyler P

I'm going to have to defend 3DHS also. Their planes are very well designed. Yes, they do have a lot of fan-boys, but there's a pretty good reason for that. They've got AJ and Stoops designs, and if anyone knows anything about planes, it's those two. Stoops has literally written THE book on aerobatic planes, so if he has a hand in designing something, you know it'll be a very good flying plane.

The Slick is very well known as being one of the top planes to get in that size range in almost every forum I've been on.

I also think their 55" planes deserve a look. The SHP is nice.

That all being said, I just picked up a New Power Modelisme Yak 54 (on clearance), imported by Hobby Lobby, and I'm very pleased with the ARF. I'm hoping to maiden in next week some time, if I get a good day of weather. The videos and reviews I've read look promising on that one too.

There are lots of good planes out there, but if you want 3D, look for a nice light wing loading and light weight.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Fliprob17

Every thread that starts out with " I'm looking to do xyz123" "what would someone recommend".....turns out this way. Regardless of the Manuf. that are recommended, they are doomed from the beginning and at some point turn non-constructive

There is a reason that there is a 3DH "fan club".....there is a reason you hear about them on "other threads"......90% of the people talking about the 3DH planes are customers.

construction quality, hardware quality, flight characteristics, ease of build, durability, construction quality......construction quality..........etc.

If you go with something from Extreme Flight, 3DHobbyShop, Sebart, or Precision Aerobatics (in no particular order) you will enjoy your experience.....that's just my 2cents.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:20 PM
marcwv
My Feedback: (4)

Try DWfoamies.com they have 48" giant foamies. Try the Juka or Yak.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:50 AM
victorzamora

You can also get a Hyperion Extra 40e from allerc.com. That plane is awesome! I've got two flights on mine up to this point. I'm running a 4S lipo, 800kv motor and a 13x6.5 APC-E (I could probably up the prop a bit) and it has crazy vertical. The plane is awesome quality and they've got them cheap right now.

I hit the ground HARD pulling out too low from an inverted flat spin and just knocked out the gear. Very little total damage to the plane. As light as it's built, though, I definitely saw the whole fuselage just flattening out.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:00 PM
rcbirk21
My Feedback: (4)

I second the sebart or precision aerobatics. I have a 50e sebart sukhoi and am debating on whether or not to get the 30e. Top notch planes. But if you want to stick with 3 cell, I would probably recomend the precision aerobatics. I have just seen so many that look like they are on 4s but are actually on 3s. its amazing. support is top notch and same for all of the products!
Old 05-14-2009, 01:58 AM
what?

if You are still confused, I just sow some nice 3D planes hear rchookup.com
Old 07-27-2009, 05:40 PM
rmillerawacs

Well it has been a while...............I am going to go with precision aerobatics extra 260. If I like it I might just have to get extra mx!!! Under 4 lbs and 10 pounds of thrust that is freakin crazy!!!!! Thanks Everyone!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:34 PM
speedy72vega

If you're into building, check out Stevens Aeromodel's 50" Edge 540. What a spectacular plane, and a great build. All the wood is Laser cut, and self aligning. The plane is very light, around 32-34 ounces AUW, and is VERY smooth in the air. I flew mine with a 388 watt Rimfire motor spinning a 10x7E prop, and it had loads of power.
It is a delicate plane though, it's all balsa, not light ply like most ARF's, so extra care has to be taken when handling it. I dumped mine while flying inverted, dumb thumbed it into the ground. But after ordering a fuselage kit, had her back up in a week. Unfortunately, I had an elevator failure mid flight, was beyond repair that time. I must not have gotten enough glue in the joints after the rebuild.
Also, the recommendation on the Eratix 3D is a great choice. I have one of them also, and it is amazing. You just can't fly them fast, they tend to flutter a bit. But for 3D, amazing plane.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:14 AM
aerofundan

ORIGINAL: rmillerawacs

Well it has been a while...............I am going to go with precision aerobatics extra 260. If I like it I might just have to get extra mx!!! Under 4 lbs and 10 pounds of thrust that is freakin crazy!!!!! Thanks Everyone!!!
You will love the 260! so much that i'm sure you will get the Extra MX later i can tell you that i have flown A LOT of airplanes in my +12 years of flying, and Precision Aerobatics right now is making the lightest and best flying airplanes on their size range!

DAniel
Old 07-28-2009, 12:24 PM
jmohn

I love my Hyperion Cap 580:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1580282

Great flying plane on an Eflite power 46 and 4S pack. Lots of power with a 14-6 prop and flight times from 8-12 minutes depending on throttle management. It will do anything you want from a 3D plane. It even can fly patern if you want

Jeff