Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

ExtremeFlight 45" Extra 300?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

ExtremeFlight 45" Extra 300?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 08:18 AM
bzinfinity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ExtremeFlight 45" Extra 300?

Hey Guys.

I am thinking about getting a Balsa 3D plane, and I've heard some really great things about ExtremeFlight.

I'm considering the Extra because it will run on 3s 2100+ batts. (Of which I have 11).

Does anybody have any experience with the 45 Extra? How is the build? Is the 45 big enough to lose the overly twitchy feel of smaller 3D planes on 3D rates?
Old 02-27-2009, 10:00 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ExtremeFlight 45" Extra 300?

She is a superb flyer, brilliant for IMAC for sure. She can KE with almost no coupling. Landings are so easy as she floats in. Waaaaaaay ahead of those 40" planes you tried. On a non windy day she feels big. I can build one in two relaxing evenings.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:55 AM
bzinfinity

I just went to Extreme Flight and picked it up.

Got the Power Combo and the Prop/Spinner.

Quick question: I have a TON of S75's lying around.

Will Eflite S75's operate this plane until I decide to spend the money on the Hitec's?

Thanks Guys.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:27 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Lots of people knock the S75 servo.
I have many,and none have given me issues.They are better suited for foamies,and they can be overstressed and ruined.

I do have some in an Eflite Extra 260 (wood,full fuse) that I 3D moderatly.
No issues.
However I would restrain from power blenders and such until you get something a bit more beefy.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:56 PM
Cleared2Engage

I'd be careful using the S75's on this bird. It can be done using low rates and not full 3D throws. I was using them in my Extreme Flight Yak-54 47" and had the aileron servo strip in mid flight. I was doing the same thing and using them until I had the cash to buy HS 65's. It's doable, but be careful.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:51 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy's plane keeps knocking the landing gear plate out. The landings are anything but hard. He's been disappointed to say the least.

Edit- Now my electric Yak's landing gear plate held up fine. Even with the extra weight of a glow engine.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:59 AM
bzinfinity

Well..

You guys were all right in one way or another.

The plane flew pretty well on the S75's, I engaged the 3D throws and it actually performed fairly well with the exception of the elevator. For some reason, on 3D throws, the elevator was unable to keep up.

Long story short - aileron servo stripped at a very inopportune time which caused a forced landing.

Just bought the HS-65's, we'll see what happens this weekend when I get to fly again.

Maybe I will build a SeaFury kit with these S75's.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:12 AM
Cleared2Engage

Glad you were able to land it when you caught the aileron servo stripping. When mine stripped I ended up doing a search and rescue mission in the bushes to recover my Yak.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:36 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HS65s on this bird is safe. I have not stripped it despite using max throws for absurd snaps. I only stripped one when my 5 yr old nephew pushed the rudder, that stripped my servo.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Swapadog

You should find them a lot better, I just don't think it's worth risking planes like this after a bad experience with a S75 on something similar and ever since have stuck with HS 65mg's for any 3D planes around this size.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:17 PM
bzinfinity

Well - that was quick.

I got the Extra out about 250 feet away from me, maybe 75-100 feet in the air after a low pass, and it quite literally died.

I had zero response. The prop stopped spinning, and I had no control surface response. It went down in a fast aileron roll nose first and wound up as a pile of toothicks.

When I got to the plane - one Aileron servo was unplugged from the extension, the others were fine. All servos were functioning properly. The motor would not spool up, but was still connected properly.

The ESC is now in my SeaFury, as well as the servos and receiver, and they are working fine.

I range checked before and after the flight and had no issues.

The only thing I can figure is that somehow the motor had overdrawn the battery causing a brown out. The battery showed 3.79v per cell upon return to the work bench near the flight line.

Debating whether or not to get another Extra or rebuild the equipment as a 47.5" Yak from EF.

Sucks. I really liked that plane =/.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Cleared2Engage

There's been a lot of talk about brownouts at my club field. Take a look at installing a capacitor on you receiver. There is a product out called the "Glitchbuster" that does the same thing for around 6-8 bucks. You simply plug the device into an open channel on your receiver. If you decide to build up the Yak, I can assure you you'll love it. I've been flying mine for about a year now. It is a little harder to 3D than the Extra, but that's just the reality of the Yak. Good luck to you.