Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Pulse XT 25e

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 04:04 PM
bzinfinity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulse XT 25e

Hey Guys -

Another quick question.

I am interested in building a Float Plane and I am trying to decide between a Beaver and a Pulse.

I really like the look of the Pulse, and being as how I already have several scale planes, the basic 3D nature of the Pulse is drawing my attention. I just had a few basic questions for anybody who owns one.

1. Will the Pulse hover on a Power 32 Setup?
2. Will the Pulse take off from water on a Power 25 Setup?
3. What will happen if you run the Pulse on the Power 32 with a 3s battery?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2009, 06:33 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Pulse XT 25e

The manufacturer's video shows a Pulse XT with floats taking off and flying around, and then they say it's got a Power 25 and 3S.

So, I would say that it will probably hover with a Power 32 and a 4S.

If you use a 3S with a Power 32, obviously you have to prop it bigger to get the motor's attention, and it's maximum rated 60 amps, which limits you to about 660 watts. Looks like it will weigh about 4.5 pounds the floats, so you might have 660/4.5 = 145 watts/pound, quite respectable, and maybe hoverable, given a big diameter, low pitch prop.

Hope this helps...Chris
Old 03-04-2009, 10:06 PM
patnchris

Hovering a float plane........What will they think of next?....I have a Mini Pulse and a Pulse XT-40...I tried a Park 480 on the Mini Pulse and have almost 900 watts on the XT-40....Neither is a good 3D plane....I think it may be the dihedral in the wing or the fact that the wing is not symetrical....That being said, you can hover anything if you have enough power.....I can hover my Ultra Stik 25E with a Power 32 and 14X7 prop....It will pull 700 watts on 4S........This is way over the limits for that motor so I only go there in very short bursts....By the way....A Power 32 pulling 660 watts on 3S will burn up....It exceeds the maximum current draw as checked by my Watts Up meter, by a lot. Ask me how I know this?........Because I have two out at the rewinder....I let thew magic smoke out and both took the ESC with them.....
Old 03-04-2009, 11:43 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

Patnchris - Interesting info about your Power 32's !! Do you know what amperage you were pulling when they lit up? According to spec, they are good for 800 watts, and/or 60A for 15 seconds (42 amps continuous.) So, based on that, if you had a 11.1V lipo that can handle 60A, you could get 660 watts on a 3S (for 15 seconds.) I guess the truth is more like the continuous 42 amps x 11 volts = 484 watts safely.

I agree that dihedral is not going to make for good 3D. bzinfinity - maybe you should consider an Eratix! there are some guys flying them with floats, too:

http://video.aol.com/category/eratix

See you hovering over the water!