Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Comments on Electrifly 41" Yak 54

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Comments on Electrifly 41" Yak 54

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 04:00 PM
DwightMann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comments on Electrifly 41" Yak 54

What is your opinion of quality, performance of this plane. I have an E-Flite 480 1050kv and a few 3s 2100mah batteries. Would this be a good match?
Any comments would be appreciated
Old 03-11-2009, 11:43 PM
proffcharlie

Default RE: Comments on Electrifly 41" Yak 54

If that's the balsa ARF I'm thinking of that motor should be about right. The first year or so the plane was out I saw threads about the horz. stab and elevators breaking off and a few reports of the wing spar failing. I know that Electrifly changed the design and procedure on joining the wing spar in the fuse to correct that problem. Seems the wing is not removable from the fuse. Some owners added carbon fiber reinforcements to prevent problems on theirs. As for the Horiz. Stab problem I don't know if Electrifly ever did even acknowledge the problem. It seems they felt or were trying to make everybody believe that the problem was being caused by owners overpowering the airframe. Most guys were cutting the covering back and making a small slice in the balsa and implanting flat carbon fiber reinforcements.
Figure your estimated AUW with your motor,ESC and battery and divide that by 175 to 200 watts per pound to have a plane that should handle respectable 3D type flight. Do a search in the threads here and on RCG and Wattflyer to see the type of problems and successes others have had with this plane. Hope all of that helps.

Charlie
Old 03-31-2009, 09:54 PM
Nitro2Burn

Default RE: Comments on Electrifly 41" Yak 54

I have an electrifly Yak54 with an E-Flite park 480 and 1700mah 11.1v pack. It's a great set up and flies fine, the only thing I am trying to improve now is the prop. I find that when hovering (using an APC 11x5.5) I can't stop the torque roll no matter the amount of aileron input. I am now trying to source a better prop maybe a 12x4 if I can find one.
I haven't had any hints of the horizontal stab failing, though I also land nice and smoothly which may have something to do with it.